Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

MassRafTer posted:

The most complete old match is Earl Caddock vs Joe Stecher from 1920
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQl6mmAtkbE

The oldest footage is from 1913 Gustav Fristensky vs Josef Smejkal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLNfu5GXuhQ

Gotch/Hackenschmidt II from 1911 was filmed but all footage was lost.

whoa awesome thanks. Queueing these up right now.

e: god drat how long doe this initial lockup take lol

Hirez fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Somewhere out there, I have to believe, there exists some amateur footage of an old-timer in the 1980s yelling at Cornette about his love of fake, hokey, bullshit spot-fest wrestling

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Those guys need to learn how to work.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

Somewhere out there, I have to believe, there exists some amateur footage of an old-timer in the 1980s yelling at Cornette about his love of fake, hokey, bullshit spot-fest wrestling

No but listen, you seen this poo poo? Who the gently caress does Jim Cornette think he is, thinking this hokey bullshit passes as REAL professional wrestling? These fuckin ballet dancers wouldn't hold a candle to Bruno Sammartino or Buddy Rogers!

why, the only real wrestling happening nowadays is in All Japan! Jumbo Tsuruta and Kerry Von Erich just had one of the greatest matches I've ever seen! None of this spotfest poo poo, just real grappling by real professional wrestlers! I know Jumbo will never do me wrong by exposing the business like one of Jim Olivier's geeks!

*two years later*

WHAT the gently caress IS THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvPA36FJp0c

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Dr. Quarex posted:

You joke but a lot of older wrestlers really did hate Ric Flair and thought the Midnight Express (specifically Bobby Eaton) did too many high spots

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Every now and again WWE decide they should just recruit legit athletes straight out of college, rather than actual pro wrestlers. Usually this is amateur wrestlers and football players, but have they ever tried to go after gymnasts? I feel like they’d be the ideal convert: flippydudes with great physiques, who tend to retire from their sport pretty young. Maybe they’re just far too short for WWE tastes…?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vince always wanted big muscle dudes, there's not a huge need for luchadores /high flyers in WWE, and gymnasts tend not to want to take bumps/fight and poo poo, whereas football and wrestlers are much more used to that type of stuff playing contact sports.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Benne posted:

You joke but a lot of older wrestlers really did hate Ric Flair and thought the Midnight Express (specifically Bobby Eaton) did too many high spots
I admit it was sarcastic but I definitely had to imagine there were people who were fans of "two men basically just locking up for 10 minutes" who thought a bodyslam in the same match as a suplex was trash wrestling

Nice to imagine the guy celebrated as the best worker ever was once considered the equivalent of the Young Bucks to the old-timers

Kvlt! posted:

Vince always wanted big muscle dudes, there's not a huge need for luchadores /high flyers in WWE, and gymnasts tend not to want to take bumps/fight and poo poo, whereas football and wrestlers are much more used to that type of stuff playing contact sports.
I genuinely imagine Tom Magee soured Vince on gymnasts forever

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Answers Me posted:

Every now and again WWE decide they should just recruit legit athletes straight out of college, rather than actual pro wrestlers. Usually this is amateur wrestlers and football players, but have they ever tried to go after gymnasts? I feel like they’d be the ideal convert: flippydudes with great physiques, who tend to retire from their sport pretty young. Maybe they’re just far too short for WWE tastes…?

They do recruit women gymnasts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr. Quarex posted:

Nice to imagine the guy celebrated as the best worker ever was once considered the equivalent of the Young Bucks to the old-timers

Once upon a time it took a lot of politicking to get Terry Funk the NWA championship because he was "just" an ex-football player.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Are Fake Diesel and Fake Razor "canonically" the "actual" Diesel/Razor?

I know the quotes are doing a lot of work here

quick edit: regarded today, I mean, though also curious to what it was at the time as well

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BaronVanAwesome posted:

quick edit: regarded today, I mean, though also curious to what it was at the time as well

No, it's pretty much accepted even in kayfabe that Scott and Kevin are the same people as Diesel and Razor, just like Mick Foley is also Mankind

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Even at the time, they weren't canonically the real deal. The gag was that heel JR was selling them as Razor/Diesel, but nobody was buying it, even within kayfabe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaXxU9E4F4M&t=37s

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Gaz-L posted:

No, it's pretty much accepted even in kayfabe that Scott and Kevin are the same people as Diesel and Razor, just like Mick Foley is also Mankind

rujasu posted:

Even at the time, they weren't canonically the real deal. The gag was that heel JR was selling them as Razor/Diesel, but nobody was buying it, even within kayfabe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaXxU9E4F4M&t=37s

These are both great answers, thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dumb question: how do WWE house shows work? Where I live we only get Raw/Smackdown/PPVs so ive never been to a house show. Is it just matches with no promos/storylines?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Last time I went to one ~6 years ago the only promo was Elias doing his guitar bit and talking poo poo. I think the matches were mostly wrestlers who were already feuding on tv, but certainly some were just thrown together. Absolutely zero question for the most part who the winners were gonna be, but generally a more fun match than they would ever air on TV.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That's what I figured but ty for the response! Love Elias

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

one thing to add to that. the wrestlers usually act more 'fun' and play up to the crowd more often at house shows. even a lot of the heels. for example, doing little dances or pantomiming stuff. if you're very serious it might piss you right off!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It also runs the risk of revealing how much WWE forces people to be less interesting on TV in order to not draw attention away from others, as Viscera's promo ridiculing our town got probably the biggest pop of the night after whoever was in the main event

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

WWE house shows are so much more fun than the televised stuff. Wrestlers get to loosen up and be themselves more and just seem like they're enjoying it more.

I went to one in 2019, they announced that the main event would be Baron Corbin versus a mystery opponent in the main event and everyone was just like 'yeah whatever, Corbin match, fine,' and then the main event came around and the mystery opponent was JOHN CENA AND THE ARENA WENT NUTS BECAUSE IT WAS ALSO A HARDCORE MATCH AND WE GOT TO SEE BIG MATCH JOHN JUST STYLING ALL OVER CORBIN AND PUTTING HIM THROUGH TABLES AND poo poo.

It ruled.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
What’s the most anyone’s ever hosed up an iron man match? Like, has there been a situation where the person who’s supposed to win is down by too much with time running out, so they’ve had to spam pinfalls to get out of it?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Kvlt! posted:

Dumb question: how do WWE house shows work? Where I live we only get Raw/Smackdown/PPVs so ive never been to a house show. Is it just matches with no promos/storylines?

You might also get to see a little preview of things to come, they often try stuff out in house shows.

I went to one in Manchester not long after Ric Flair "lost ownership" of WWE and was wrestling again, to say it was a partisan crowd might be underselling it "Woo" echoed around the building, we were an excited city!

The match comes and Edge enters first to a big babyface pop that continues as he plays the crowd, and then Flairs theme hits and the glorious celebratory booing begins, because he's a bad guy and you boo the bad guy.

The match begins and obviously we're cheering for Flair who's heeling it up and Edge stays in his Hero mode, and after 2 or 3 minutes of a good match Edge whips Flair into the ropes and by the time Flair has bounced off the ropes they've both clearly switched roles and Edge is suddenly the heel.

It was a great fun match that I know they must have done a few times before they moved it to TV.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

BooDooBoo posted:

"Woo" echoed around the building

To be fair, I could say this about every WWE or AEW show I’ve ever been to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Answers Me posted:

What’s the most anyone’s ever hosed up an iron man match? Like, has there been a situation where the person who’s supposed to win is down by too much with time running out, so they’ve had to spam pinfalls to get out of it?

CM Punk and Colt Cabana claim they did an Iron Man match where Colt was supposed to win but they lost track of how many falls they'd done so they did an indie roll up sequence where Punk didn't kickout of Colts roll ups.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Diabolik900 posted:

To be fair, I could say this about every WWE or AEW show I’ve ever been to.

It's tradition before the show to have someone yell out "WOO!" and start a chain going with multiple people throughout the arena letting one out.

On house shows: the first one I went to was in 2003 and my last one was in 2016. They haven't changed much and from what I'm gathering it's still more of the same. Matches based on whatever is going on in TV and the wrestlers are a lot more loose and able to play to the live crowd more without worrying about upsetting a TV storyline. They might have a little something special for the live crowd because as far as WWE is concerned what happens at a house show stays at a house show (in their creative minds).

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 31, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
House shows also don't have twenty minute stretches of absolutely nothing happening because you're waiting for the commercials, backstage segments, etc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

House shows also don't have twenty minute stretches of absolutely nothing happening because you're waiting for the commercials, backstage segments, etc.

They still fill time with dumb poo poo like local promotional stuff, t shirt guns, and hawking merch and concessions

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You don't want a t-shirt?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Why do they call the WCW monster thing a "yeti" when it is CLEARLY a mummy????

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Sisal Two-Step posted:

They were planning on bringing El Gigante back for the role, and he has a much clearer "giant ape-man" look. But there were some delays getting him in, so they just took the first guy his size they could find and put him in the first costume they could think of that covered up everything so they could pretend Gigante was under it the entire time.

... And then El Gigante decided to retire from wrestling for health reasons in December, so it never actually mattered.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And then at World War III the chyron still read YETI despite him being dressed like a giant ninja.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Lurks With Wolves posted:

They were planning on bringing El Gigante back for the role, and he has a much clearer "giant ape-man" look. But there were some delays getting him in, so they just took the first guy his size they could find and put him in the first costume they could think of that covered up everything so they could pretend Gigante was under it the entire time.

... And then El Gigante decided to retire from wrestling for health reasons in December, so it never actually mattered.

By the way, Sisal Two-Step, being that you're new to a lot of wrestling, have you seen Giant Gonzalez yet? Because if you haven't, you're in for a treat. Especially if it's the WrestleMania 9 attire.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

And then at World War III the chyron still read YETTI despite him being dressed like a giant ninja.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Earlier today I was thinking about Cody's run as Stardust - more specifically, I was thinking about the famously bad match he had against Dustin near the end of that run, and how they put on a classic the next time they met at Double or Nothing 2019. Is there another case in wrestling history of there being such a wide disparity in quality between two consecutive contests featuring the same competitors?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Earlier today I was thinking about Cody's run as Stardust - more specifically, I was thinking about the famously bad match he had against Dustin near the end of that run, and how they put on a classic the next time they met at Double or Nothing 2019. Is there another case in wrestling history of there being such a wide disparity in quality between two consecutive contests featuring the same competitors?

Yeah, Rude vs Chono in the G1 and then at Halloween Havoc 92. In between Austin broke Chono's neck (on guess what kind of piledriver!) and Chono came back wayyyyyyyyyy too early.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Mark Henry's best days as a worker were during his Hall of Pain run and there were some very noticeable differences in match quality depending on whether he was a face or a heel. Unstoppable heel Henry had some awesome matches against Big Show and Sheamus, but face Henry vs. heel Big Show or face Henry vs. heel Sheamus were outright terrible.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

And then at World War III the chyron still read YETI despite him being dressed like a giant ninja.

Ron Reese is kind of fascinating because I'm not sure any other company has had a seven foot wrestler that was used just as a jobber. He wasn't even used as a how can anyone beat Reece? The world's ostentatious giant loser.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lid posted:

Ron Reese is kind of fascinating because I'm not sure any other company has had a seven foot wrestler that was used just as a jobber. He wasn't even used as a how can anyone beat Reece? The world's ostentatious giant loser.

The MUSTACHE guy from NXT Season 2.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What is Austin's worst match after returning from his neck injury? A real match, not a "match", if the distinction matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lid posted:

Kurgan from Truth Commission/Oddities?