Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
for all the technical shortcuts this game takes I'm glad they put in the time and effort to make sure that you always know exactly where the dog is, its speed, and pathfinding to make sure it can always get to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Do I need to save EVERY crystal in Byleth's paralogue?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

inthesto posted:

Do I need to save EVERY crystal in Byleth's paralogue?

No, I lost one and still got the full reward that people who saved all of them did.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Eimi posted:

No, I lost one and still got the full reward that people who saved all of them did.

gently caress, I had to redo the same turn like 4 times to save the one crystal that was at risk. Assumed it was like saving villagers where there's no tolerance for the top reward

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Do Berserkers and Swordmasters have innate crit bonuses like they do in other games? Wondering if I lose out on anything besides her cool outfit if I reclass Pannette to Warrior

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Hargrimm posted:

gently caress, I had to redo the same turn like 4 times to save the one crystal that was at risk. Assumed it was like saving villagers where there's no tolerance for the top reward

Yeah, I looked it up and you can lose one or two crystals and still get the full reward

And even then, the first reward to be eliminated is the way less valuable one, so if you don't care about bragging rights, gently caress it, let them break

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, thinking about Yunaka's class. I haven't played Maddening yet so someone who has can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that Wolf Knight is her best option on Maddening, and Thief is her best option on Normal/Hard.

The reason for that is that while the Covert type makes it easy for her to achieve perfect evasion against physical attacks in the Thief class, on Maddening, enemies (from what I've heard) will just ignore a unit they can't hit, even if they're the only available target. In that case, perfect evasion isn't actually all that helpful. With Wolf Knight, she trades that for mobility and access to a killer weapon (of a type of your choosing) to go with her +15 Crit on Avoid terrain passive. She can still get very high evasion that way, but enemies will see a nonzero hit rate and still try to attack her.

Meanwhile the perfect evasion on Normal/Hard is just extremely good and there's no reason to give it up for anything other than if you just think it'd be fun to put her on a wolf (which, I mean, yeah).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Harrow posted:

So, thinking about Yunaka's class. I haven't played Maddening yet so someone who has can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that Wolf Knight is her best option on Maddening, and Thief is her best option on Normal/Hard.

The reason for that is that while the Covert type makes it easy for her to achieve perfect evasion against physical attacks in the Thief class, on Maddening, enemies (from what I've heard) will just ignore a unit they can't hit, even if they're the only available target. In that case, perfect evasion isn't actually all that helpful. With Wolf Knight, she trades that for mobility and access to a killer weapon (of a type of your choosing) to go with her +15 Crit on Avoid terrain passive. She can still get very high evasion that way, but enemies will see a nonzero hit rate and still try to attack her.

Meanwhile the perfect evasion on Normal/Hard is just extremely good and there's no reason to give it up for anything other than if you just think it'd be fun to put her on a wolf (which, I mean, yeah).

I think this is correct. I am toying with reclassing Merrin to a thief and Yunaka to a wolf knight purely for this reason. When I played chapter 11 hard, I put Yunaka on the backline and pushed forward with everyone else. On maddening that just doesn't work at all, but Alcryst tanked the back for me with his 90% avoid much better than Yunaka's 100%. The only downside is that Merrin is 100% The Wolf Lady.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my maddening yunaka has been very weak because of the lack of promotion bonuses; she was basically on-par but then everybody else got bonuses and she didn't and suddenly she was bad

I'm gonna try second sealing her to see if it helps

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I can't get over the fact that the princess of Firene is named "saline"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Harrow posted:

I've never gotten perfect evasion on anyone on hard.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hellioning posted:

I got it rotuinely in the second half of the game without terrain

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Yunaka can get perfect evasion on like, chapter 10, as long as there are no mystics around.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

inthesto posted:

I can't get over the fact that the princess of Firene is named "saline"

That's fine, her Heart Will Go On.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hellioning posted:

It should be pretty easy by engraving Micaiah's brand on a weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Yunaka's Covert type + Dawn engraving on a weapon + terrain has made lots of enemies have 0% chances to hit her, pretty much anything that isn't Mystic type.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a promote best practice? Like how high level should I let my guys get before I use a seal?

Is anyone insanely busted after a promote?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

fadam posted:

Is there a promote best practice? Like how high level should I let my guys get before I use a seal?

Promote asap, exp gain is based off internal level, promotion carries no penalty.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fadam posted:

Promote ASAP. There's no downside to it this time around.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

fadam posted:

Master Seal anyone you want to use ASAP. There’s no XP penalty.

Second Seals are almost always better used on promoted classes, because it resets you to Lv1.

Griffon Knights are very strong, so IMO Chloe is the best candidate for the early Master Seal but you’ll get enough as you progress that it doesn’t really matter, just use it on who you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I enjoy how it feels like every new recruit you get is even more of a weirdo than the last until you meet Rosado, who's just... kind of a nice, well-adjusted dude? He just wants to be happy and likes to draw and wear cute clothes and chill out. Dude's got it figured out.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think the most useful promotions (divorced from all context, obviously this isn't universal) are units that swap from a foot unit to a mounted one (going from 4 to 6 movement is huge) and units that gain staves or a useful secondary weapon type. Lowest priority is probably Knight to General because they don't gain movement, though they do probably see a lot of combat so maybe they want the stat boost more than some of your other units in some circumstances.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

I think the most useful promotions (divorced from all context, obviously this isn't universal) are units that swap from a foot unit to a mounted one (going from 4 to 6 movement is huge) and units that gain staves or a useful secondary weapon type. Lowest priority is probably Knight to General because they don't gain movement, though they do probably see a lot of combat so maybe they want the stat boost more than some of your other units in some circumstances.

Louis gets hit so much that extra 3 def or whatever has really added up when folks are doing 1 instead of deep into 0.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I really like this game but playing it immediately after Marvel Midnight Suns was a mistake. Too much running around your base between missions picking up poo poo and talking to people...

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The only thing you should check for post-battle is forge materials, as far as I can tell bond fragments are given to you automatically

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The one map where you have to save some civilians in the mid-game, you should make sure you talk to them afterwards because that's how you get the rewards, but otherwise you can just grab the shinies and leave, you'll get the bond fragments automatically.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Harrow posted:

The one map where you have to save some civilians in the mid-game, you should make sure you talk to them afterwards because that's how you get the rewards, but otherwise you can just grab the shinies and leave, you'll get the bond fragments automatically.

oh for gently caress's sake. I definitely got some rewards at the map end and assumed that was it.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
As far as the actual base goes, you pick up materials at the farm (put dogs there, they give you forge materials), cook something, and do three fights in the arena for some free experience if you want. There's fruit in the orchard (pick it up every once in a while, using materials seems to improve your odds of good results cooking food) and some bond shards lying around in Sommie's grotto (plus the ones for petting and feeding him). Then you're done unless you have shopping. The optional activities, like exercise or fishing or wyvern riding, all give pretty minor bonuses and are very skippable.

The people in the base will all say generic lines corresponding to their current location. The only actual plot-responsive dialogue is indicated by a speech bubble with three dots on the map above their heads. Mostly it's just reminder text about what's happening in the story ("We need to get the ring at the castle!"), so it's all skippable.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tonics and exercises also don't stack with cooking, so unless you want a really marginal bonus you can skip that.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Terper posted:

Tonics and exercises also don't stack with cooking, so unless you want a really marginal bonus you can skip that.

It's fine as long as they target different stats. That's why I always do the squats for +Dex since a huge number of meals give +Str anyways. And I could feel myself immediately developing an RSI doing the button mashing +HP one so gently caress that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

jimmydalad posted:

I managed to do it through a mixture of Astra Storm and my Paladin Goldmary with Sigurd either running down at the seige weapons or tanking it alongside Panette + Ike. Paladin Goldmary and Sigurd are turning out to be extremely absurd as with the Starsphere on her, Goldmary has gotten multiple levels where she gains every stat but two. I had to go down to my last time rewind for Leif but I managed. Him and Eirika definitely have some of the hardest paralogues.

I’m unsure if I should reclass Panette into Warrior or keep her in Berserker. S rank axes seem cool but she’s already hit caps in Dex and Defense and she probably could be getting more levels elsewhere. She’s already nearing level 20 in Berserker so I don’t know.

EDIT: I forgot to include this tweet:

https://twitter.com/branmci/status/1618744655851700225?s=46&t=VP_VYnKlyoRkDIhfGe31rQ

Alear do be suffering.

who's the VA for femalear?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just finished chapter 11. 10 and 11 were great, both story-wise and map design. I get frustrated about the pruning I have to do on who I bring (which is kinda necessary for a game that allows permadeth and wants to give people recovery options), but for the actual maps everything so far has felt just right for the most part. Everybody gets chances to be useful without getting caught up in chokepoints.

And my brother noticed some fun music in the movie after chapter 10. Starting at "say goodbye to your beloved Emblems" oh no, they're playing the hero music in an evil key! It's a classic musical trick, but one we enjoy spotting.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

who's the VA for femalear?

Laura Stahl. She voiced Ramlethal in GG Strive

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I've been slacking on my paralogues and my core team is too strong for them so I took the opportunity to give some backbenchers a go

now my etie is levelled just below my main team thanks to a certain corner of sigurd's paralogue, lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I picked this game up again starting at ch 3. I had to go beat Three Hopes first. Anyway, it took me ages to figure out how to pull up the conversation log (because it requires auto-advance to be off). I feel dumb.

The game told me I couldn’t adopt this chicken in the mill town until I donated, so I donated and now it won’t let me go back into the mill town to adopt the chicken! Bullshit!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Micaiah's paralogue was a shame upon the real 3-13's memory.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

It's hosed up the other paralogues include stuff like Julius and Ishtar but Micaiah's doesn't include our boy 3-13 Archer.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The Sage outfit is so drat bad. Citrinne looked just fine before!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well that's on you for not picking the promotion with the good outfit. The goofy mage knight cape was made for Citrinne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well that's on you for not picking the promotion with the good outfit. The goofy mage knight cape was made for Citrinne.

Oh yeah? Looks like Citrinne is gonna go through another class change after this battle