Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
technically the rockies were correct for the first part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

live with fruit posted:

It's funny that Bud Black turned down the Nats job over money and has been stuck in Colorado hell ever since.

hell, i'd take a high-paying job in Denver with basically no stakes or expectations attached to it

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Rays are having a very Rays offseason. They signed Zach Eflin for 3/40 early in free agency, and it seemed like an overpay, until we saw what other pitchers were getting. Eflin's never walked a lot of guys, and he added a cutter last year and Statcast loved that (3.27 xERA). They extended Jeffrey Springs for $31 million, buying out a couple arb years and a couple FA years. He was terrible in Texas and Boston, but the Rays turned him into a solid reliever in 2021, then moved him into the rotation last year. 2.46 ERA, lol. They just gave Yandy Diaz a similar deal. Dude hit 9 home runs last year... with a .400 OBP. They are so good at the Moneyball stuff, man. They find undervalued players and keep them around

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

coco crisp

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hand Row posted:

Uh have you considered you are the weird one.
Look man we're all weird here.

rickiep00h posted:

Fun fact about Lars I learned this week: his mother is Japanese and he is playing for Japan in the WBC. When you get the chance to play with Shohei (et al), you take it.
So happy that Japan's about to catch Nootbar Fever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Rays are having a very Rays offseason. They signed Zach Eflin for 3/40 early in free agency, and it seemed like an overpay, until we saw what other pitchers were getting. Eflin's never walked a lot of guys, and he added a cutter last year and Statcast loved that (3.27 xERA). They extended Jeffrey Springs for $31 million, buying out a couple arb years and a couple FA years. He was terrible in Texas and Boston, but the Rays turned him into a solid reliever in 2021, then moved him into the rotation last year. 2.46 ERA, lol. They just gave Yandy Diaz a similar deal. Dude hit 9 home runs last year... with a .400 OBP. They are so good at the Moneyball stuff, man. They find undervalued players and keep them around
They extended Diaz, Springs, and Fairbanks in maybe a week

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
lol the Rockies owner is big mad that the Padres have a high payroll

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2560558

quote:

"What the Padres are doing, I don’t 100% agree with, though I know that our fans probably agree with it. We’ll see how it works out," Monfort said Saturday, according to the Denver Post's Patrick Saunders.

"That puts a lot of pressure (on us)," Monfort said. "But it’s not just the Padres, it’s the Mets, it’s the Phillies. This has been an interesting year."

:aloom:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol Rockies definitely having a normal one today.

Edit: Really what is it with baseball execs going to local country clubs and completely owning themselves?

Popete fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 29, 2023

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
yeah im sure your fans would agree with paying to have a good team and also drafting and developing players to help with that

not the big genius owner-man though he's got other things to think about

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The two theories I've heard were Track and Field were drawing more people (Usain Bolt was decent with a bat iirc) and West Indian players have gone big time in taking T20 league contacts. Not to mention the Windies board makes even the worst MLB owner seem competent.

E: oops didn't realize phone posting would lead me to necro this:

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive this stupid uninformed question:

But are there many Caribbean players in Major League Baseball nowadays? Has there been a trend towards more/less of them? Are any of them famous/good?

I ask because the West Indies used to be a cricketing powerhouse, but have been poo poo for more than a decade now. And one of the theories is that young people are choosing Baseball as their sport of choice, (or at least the sport of a professional pathway), instead of the far far superior Test Cricket, Who doesn't love a sport that lasts 5 days and sometimes nobody wins?

Again apologies if this question is stupid or ignorant, or worse rude.

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 29, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

Yes it's been irritating me. They've had a secretly fantastic off-season. At least the Astros aren't in the same division as them... they are going to be a thorn in the AL East's side forever.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1619759542728024064?t=cw2U0Jw35IpJxySrkYKUIQ&s=19

The Yankees won't take anybody to an arb hearing this year, which seems like something they're making a concerted effort on since the Betances debacle. It really seems like another penny wise pound foolish thing that teams will absolutely torch a relationship over a rounding error's worth of paycheck.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1619759542728024064?t=cw2U0Jw35IpJxySrkYKUIQ&s=19

The Yankees won't take anybody to an arb hearing this year, which seems like something they're making a concerted effort on since the Betances debacle. It really seems like another penny wise pound foolish thing that teams will absolutely torch a relationship over a rounding error's worth of paycheck.

Yeah, I've said it before, but it's in everyone's best interests to avoid arbitration hearings. The player and his agent make their case, and then the team comes in and says, "Well, actually, here's a 41-slide PowerPoint deck of why this guy sucks poo poo and doesn't deserve the extra $300,000 that he's asking for."

It's not terribly conducive to healthy player-team relationships.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What's the number?

Atlanta's only pending case is with Max Fried over like $500K

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What's the number?

Atlanta's only pending case is with Max Fried over like $500K

yeah I really don’t see why they’re not just giving him that. guess they could still extend him but yeesh

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chief McHeath posted:

lol the Rockies owner is big mad that the Padres have a high payroll

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2560558

:aloom:

What is it with MLB owners whining about payroll? While I'm sure NFL and NBA teams would like to pay players less, you don't hear them complaining that often

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

he should have either been nontendered or traded for michael harris

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What is it with MLB owners whining about payroll? While I'm sure NFL and NBA teams would like to pay players less, you don't hear them complaining that often

A bunch of nba owners were complaining about the warriors just last season

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MLB doesn't have an official salary cap, only a de facto one with the luxury tax (which Steve Cohen has shown is no problem to any team that has the money, which is probably 75 percent of them). So owners tend to whine a little bit more.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

he should have either been nontendered or traded for michael harris

You got me so loving heated for a second there.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

NFL has a hard cap. NBA has a soft cap like MLB, but then there's a max you can spend per player.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
You also can’t sign anyone outside of your team for decent money if you are over the cap in the NBA which is a big deal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
MLB both has guaranteed contracts and no salary cap or contract max, which allows superstar plays to actually demand something closer to their true worth. The owners are instead trying to use the luxury tax as a de facto cap, and the cheaper owners are pissed that some teams are breaking owner solidarity and spending past it to try and make a run. For reference this "massive payroll" that Monfort is :qq:ing over? They're only ~$7M over the first tax threshold and are looking at a total tax bill of like $4M. But if any owners spend into the tax then theoretically any team could too, which diminishes the ability to cap payrolls.

The owners have to be kicking themselves in particular for approving Cohen buying the Mets. Dude's racked up a luxury tax bill that is by itself higher than the payrolls of 6 other teams.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I don't know why teams are willing to go through this lovely process of trying to convince an arbitor that their player sucks to save $500k. That's one of the few (only?) things the Rangers have consistently done well. Their last player that went to arbitration was Lee Stevens in 2000.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Bandire posted:

I don't know why teams are willing to go through this lovely process of trying to convince an arbitor that their player sucks to save $500k. That's one of the few (only?) things the Rangers have consistently done well. Their last player that went to arbitration was Lee Stevens in 2000.

Because the salary is done by player comparison it will cost a heck of a lot more than just 500k as you continually go through iterations. It might continue to rise so high players might actually get paid what they are worth!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Hand Row posted:

Because the salary is done by player comparison it will cost a heck of a lot more than just 500k as you continually go through iterations. It might continue to rise so high players might actually get paid what they are worth!

The idea being that you sit down with the agent and compromise on $250k rather than go through the bitter process of the arbitration case to breed animosity with a player you ostensibly want to retain.

Arbitration has zero flexibility. Team and player both submit a number, team makes the case why player sucks and doesn't deserve his number, player rep does otherwise, and all the arbitor can do is pick one number or the other.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yeah what I am saying is it’s not isolated to that player. The value is determined by the market and those compromises increase the market, especially if it goes to an arbitrator and the player comparables are now much increased that the arbitrator uses to make their ruling. So it’s not as simple as give the player the extra bit because the following year the next player will say I want what that guy got plus 500k. Not that I agree with it, just explaining planning why teams quibble over these amounts. They want to suppress the entire market.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Sydin posted:

Molina is an exception guy where he doesn't have the WAR or counting stats to really deserve the Hall but will 100% get in because he was like the platonic ideal of the franchise catcher.

Molina is interesting because there was no way he wasn't going to make it well before he actually became a pretty borderline case. He had a strong peak but not strong enough to put him over the top even with the adjustment for catching stats; he was just going to float in because he has the most hard-nosed reputation since, like, Pete Rose if not longer. But then he was a useful starter for so drat long that his case actually became decent. You can easily justify including him and easily justify leaving him out.

But yeah he's gonna loving sail in. Dude has had Gritty Veteran Leader status since he was like 26 lol

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also I totally understand the million-and-one reasons opponents (or even neutral fans!) would hate Molina or find him insufferable, all the Cardinals aura bullshit, the neck tattoo, etc. etc. but man one thing you have to say about the guy: he is a committed and incredibly tough motherfucker. Man could not hit his way out of a paper bag when he came up and became a good enough bat that he put up a 106 OPS+ over the middle 11 years of his career. And that was while catching 140 games a year, which basically nobody does anymore. Hard not to respect the bastard.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

Also I totally understand the million-and-one reasons opponents (or even neutral fans!) would hate Molina or find him insufferable, all the Cardinals aura bullshit, the neck tattoo, etc. etc. but man one thing you have to say about the guy: he is a committed and incredibly tough motherfucker. Man could not hit his way out of a paper bag when he came up and became a good enough bat that he put up a 106 OPS+ over the middle 11 years of his career. And that was while catching 140 games a year, which basically nobody does anymore. Hard not to respect the bastard.

The real problem with Molina is having to hear Joe Buck and every other announcer say things like this for 15 years.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

live with fruit posted:

The real problem with Molina is having to hear Joe Buck and every other announcer say things like this for 15 years.

Hahaha like I said I totally get it. I'm a Cardinals fan and I hate the self-perpetuating hagiography of the franchise. Especially because it's so unnecessary. They win a lot, do a great job of developing talent and are clearly an excellent organization. Stop tryna suck your own dick!

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
Regarding the arbitration nickel and diming, I saw a video the other day that tries to explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alWyEsqWxrA

tl;dr: if the arbitrator goes with the player's $500k higher amount, in the 2nd arb year, it'll be up to $1 mil more, 3rd arb year it'll be up to $2 mil more, etc. If that happens for many players on a team's payroll, losing many arb cases can inflate the budget by 10 or 20 mil from what looked like pretty small potatoes at the start.

But as the video goes into more depth on, a lot of teams just have this "magic secret number" that they'll agree to as a compromise with a player before the arb stuff starts, and if the player won't settle for that max number the team has in mind, then they're going to the arb hearings because in the aggregate, it's going to save the team more money.

Like Hand Row said, they just want to suppress the market / their overall budgets. It's not usually personal to a specific player but it does suck that they basically have to bash their own players to save some cash. More teams should do the Atlanta Braves things and just buy out those years in advance and skip all that drama. Ofc, not every player is gonna agree to those team friendly multi-year deals when they're young but ambitious.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Timby posted:

Yeah, I've said it before, but it's in everyone's best interests to avoid arbitration hearings. The player and his agent make their case, and then the team comes in and says, "Well, actually, here's a 41-slide PowerPoint deck of why this guy sucks poo poo and doesn't deserve the extra $300,000 that he's asking for."

It's not terribly conducive to healthy player-team relationships.

Crybaby Derek Jeter is still pissed about it 30 years later.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

davecrazy posted:

Crybaby Derek Jeter is still pissed about it 30 years later.

How? There’s no way they haven’t given him at least one gift basket since the late 90’s.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Inspector_666 posted:

He had a kid almost right when he turned it all around. Players are people, he was almost assuredly distracted that first half.

It’s interesting how hard this sort of thing is to consider for whatever reason with athletes. I’m guilty of downplaying it too. I got a new puppy a little before Christmas and I’m still barely able to keep up with like half of my usual routine. The mental energy drain alone is a lot to handle. It’s tough! I can’t imagine being a pro athlete and trying to deal with things like that. Balancing it all. All the money and help in the world doesn’t really change how much it can affect a person.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Keith Law out with his Top 100. As usual, he has his own thoughts on prospect peccadillos and often diverges heavily from the prospect industrial complex's hivemind.

Preamble:

quote:

This year’s list is, to be blunt, not great — we had so many graduations in 2022, including seven of my top 10 and more than 30 of my top 100, that the best 50 or 100 or 150 prospects in the minors are now, in bulk, not up to the level of talent that it usually is. That might be pandemic-related, because so many players lost a year or more of development. It might also have to do with MLB’s decision to eliminate all short-season leagues between the complexes and Low A, a move that especially hurts teenaged players who aren’t quite ready for full-season ball after they’ve finished a summer in the Arizona or Florida Complex Leagues. A draft class in 2022 that was generally seen as mediocre, with very little college pitching, didn’t help matters either. That said, there are a lot of potential superstars at the top of the list, and as you move through it, you’ll see a lot of players with the upside to be stars (I’m thinking 5+ WAR, roughly), but who might have a lower probability of reaching those ceilings.

I've included some of the writeups I found interesting but happy to take requests (and even happier if any other Athletic subscribers take them as I'll be in and out of meetings all day)

quote:

1. Corbin Carroll, OF, Arizona Diamondbacks
2. Gunnar Henderson, SS/3B, Baltimore Orioles
3. Jackson Chourio, OF, Milwaukee Brewers
4. Elly de la Cruz, SS, Cincinnati Reds
5. Jordan Walker, OF/3B, St. Louis Cardinals
6. Diego Cartaya, C, Los Angeles Dodgers
7. Francisco Álvarez, C, New York Mets
8. Anthony Volpe, SS, New York Yankees
9. Jordan Lawlar, SS, Arizona Diamondbacks
10. Eury Pérez, RHP, Miami Marlins
11. Marcelo Mayer, SS, Boston Red Sox
12. Kyle Harrison, LHP, San Francisco
13. Andrew Painter, RHP, Philadelphia Phillies
14. Druw Jones, OF, Arizona Diamondbacks
15. Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, Baltimore Orioles
16. James Wood, OF, Washington Nationals
17. Cam Collier, 3B, Cincinnati Reds
18. Termarr Johnson, SS, Pittsburgh Pirates
19. Jackson Holliday, SS, Baltimore Orioles
20. Jackson Merrill, SS, San Diego Padres
Bats: Left | Throws: Right
Drafted: No. 27 in 2021

Last year’s ranking: Unranked

Merrill was the Padres’ first-rounder in 2021 out of a Maryland high school, then spent the following offseason working on strength and conditioning, returning a completely different hitter. He’s got an advanced approach at the plate, including a real-life two-strike approach — I thought those were extinct! He also stays back on the ball well, producing gap power now that should end up as double-digit home run power when he fills out. He’s a plus runner with above-average range at shortstop, moving better to his right, and has a 55 arm, so while there was talk of him moving off the position when he was an amateur, I think he stays there long-term. Merrill fractured his wrist on a freak play in April, missing almost three months with the injury, but actually hit better after his return, and then held his own despite being one of the youngest players in the Arizona Fall League. Merrill’s ultimate ceiling probably comes down to how good the hit tool is. Right now it looks like he’ll have a future 60, if not better, hit tool, which would give him a chance to be an impact bat even with 8-12 homers a year. If not, though, I see a high floor here, where he’s got a very good chance to at least be a solid regular at short who plays 55 defense and gets on base at an above-average clip.
21. Marco Luciano, SS, San Francisco Giants
22. Brayan Rocchio, SS, Cleveland Guardians
23. Miguel Vargas, 3B/2B/OF, Los Angeles Dodgers
24. Curtis Mead, 3B/2B, Tampa Bay Rays
25. Colson Montgomery, SS, Chicago White Sox
26. Pete Crow-Armstrong, OF, Chicago Cubs
27. George Valera, OF, Cleveland Guardians
28. Bobby Miller, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers
29. Kevin Alcántara, OF, Chicago Cubs
30. Henry Davis, C, Pittsburgh Pirates
31. Brett Baty, 3B, New York Mets
32. Jasson Domínguez, OF, New York Yankees
Bats: Switch | Throws: Right
Drafted: International signing in 2019

Last year’s ranking: 78

Is there a bigger example of a “post-hype prospect” than Domínguez? Touted as the next Mickey Mantle as the Yankees gave him their entire international bonus pool when he was 16, he didn’t get to play in a minor-league game until he turned 18 because of the pandemic. He hit a very credible .258/.346/.398 in full-season ball, for Low-A Tampa, in the pitcher-friendly Florida State League in 2021, as one of only three 18-year-olds to get at least 200 plate appearances in the league (along with Alex Ramírez, also on this list). He returned to Tampa this year as a 19-year-old, still young for the level, improved to .265/.373/.440, moved up to High-A Hudson Valley, hit .306/.397/.510 there, and finished with a week in Double-A Somerset. I’ll recap: He started 2022 with 57 games of pro experience, total, and that’s all he had had since signing in July of 2019. He ended up hitting well enough in High A that he would have finished in the top 10 in the Sally League in OBP and slugging if he’d qualified. Why do I get the sense people think he’s a disappointment? And it’s not like he lacks tools — he has electric bat speed, 70 raw power, 70 run, probably 70 defend in center. He does have work to do as a hitter, and during that one week in Double A you could see he needs to learn to adjust to pitchers who can change speeds on him and locate their secondary stuff more than anything he’s seen before. The body is maxed out, but there’s also no need for him to get stronger or develop more power. I see a guy with three plus-plus tools who is the age of a college sophomore and has earned his way to Double A. What’s not to like?

33. Daniel Espino, RHP, Cleveland Guardians
34. Endy Rodriguez, C, Pittsburgh Pirates
35. Elijah Green, OF, Washington Nationals
36. Tanner Bibee, RHP, Cleveland Guardians
37. Ceddanne Rafaela, CF/SS, Boston Red Sox
38. Brandon Pfaadt, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks
39. Gavin Stone, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers
40. Triston Casas, 1B, Boston Red Sox
41. Sal Frelick, OF, Milwaukee Brewers
42. Gavin Williams, RHP, Cleveland Guardians
43. Robert Hassell, OF, Washington Nationals
44. Kevin Parada, C, New York Mets
45. Jeferson Quero, C, Milwaukee Brewers
46. Masyn Winn, SS, St. Louis Cardinals
47. Ricky Tiedemann, LHP, Toronto Blue Jays
48. Emmanuel Rodriguez, OF, Minnesota Twins
Bats: Left | Throws: Left
International signing in 2019

Last year’s ranking: Sleeper

The Twins gave Rodriguez $2.75 million to sign him in 2019, then had to wait until 2021 for him to debut, skipping him over the DSL and sending him right to the complex in Fort Myers, where he hit .214/.346/.524, showing big power but in-zone whiffs. Rodriguez went to Low A to start 2022 and showed enormous progress in his approach, hitting breaking stuff far more often and laying off more pitches out of the zone, drawing 57 walks in 47 games and hitting .272/.493/.552 before tearing the meniscus in his right knee on a slide in June. The surgery ended his season, but he still finished seventh in the Florida State League in walks and tied for 20th in homers even though he played in fewer than half of his team’s games before having season-ending surgery. It is huge raw power with an explosive swing, but at the same time, he’s very under control, which is unusual for lots of power hitters — except for some of the elite ones. He’s playing center now but the odds are strong he’ll end up in right. He needs more reps, and if he had a weakness last year, it was against changeups, but he might be a top-10 prospect in baseball by midseason if what we saw last spring holds up.

49. Noelvi Marte, SS, Cincinnati
50. Brennen Davis, OF, Chicago Cubs
51. Brooks Lee, SS, Minnesota Twins
Bats: Switch | Throws: Right
Drafted: No. 8 in 2022

Last year’s ranking: Ineligible

Lee was the best college player in this year’s draft class and would have been a worthy pick at No. 1, coming off two years of stellar performance playing for his dad at Cal Poly. He has exceptional hand-eye coordination and seldom misses fastballs in the zone, striking out just under 10 percent of the time last spring and only 16 percent of the time in his pro debut in High A. It’s an unorthodox swing with visible effort, which has meant he has a lot of medium-quality contact, and probably projects to just average power unless something significant changes. On defense, he has outstanding hands and instincts, but he’s a below-average runner and doesn’t have the agility for shortstop, while he should be above-average at third or second. He’ll get the most out of his skills because he grew up around the game and seems to have an exceptional idea of the strike zone, so while he doesn’t have superstar ceiling, he could be a high-average/high-OBP regular at third or second who hits 10-15 homers a year.

53. Evan Carter, OF, Texas Rangers
54. Zac Veen, OF, Colorado Rockies
55. Bo Naylor, C, Cleveland Guardians
56. Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Rangers
57. Gavin Cross, OF, Kansas City Royals
58. Edwin Arroyo, SS, Cincinnati
59. Zach Neto, SS, Los Angeles Angels
60. Tyler Soderstrom, 1B/C, Oakland A’s
61. Logan O’Hoppe, C, Los Angeles Angels
62. Dalton Rushing, C, Los Angeles Dodgers
63. Tink Hence, RHP, St. Louis Cardinals
64. Quinn Priester, RHP, Pittsburgh Pirates
65. Harry Ford, C, Seattle Mariners
66. Gordon Graceffo, RHP, St. Louis Cardinals
67. Andy Pages, OF, Los Angeles Dodgers
68. Alex Ramirez, OF, New York Mets
69. Ezequiel Tovar, SS, Colorado Rockies
70. Owen White, RHP, Texas Rangers
71. Cade Cavalli, RHP, Washington Nationals
72. Miguel Bleis, OF, Boston Red Sox
73. Jordan Westburg, IF, Baltimore Orioles
74. Michael Busch, 2B, Los Angeles Dodgers
75. Bryce Miller, RHP, Seattle Mariners
76. Oswald Peraza, SS, New York Yankees
77. Mick Abel, RHP, Philadelphia Phillies
78. Dax Fulton, LHP, Miami Marlins
79. Benny Montgomery, OF, Colorado Rockies
80. Hunter Brown, RHP, Houston Astros
81. Kyle Manzardo, 1B, Tampa Bay Rays
82. Ryne Nelson, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks
83. Jackson Jobe, RHP, Detroit Tigers
84. DL Hall, LHP, Baltimore Orioles
85. Brady House, SS, Washington Nationals
86. Everson Pereira, OF, New York Yankees
87. Ronny Mauricio, SS, New York Mets
88. Jace Jung, 2B, Detroit Tigers
89. James Outman, OF, Los Angeles Dodgers
Bats: Left | Throws: Right
Drafted: No. 224 in 2018

Last year’s rank: Unranked

Outman has made some real swing changes since the Dodgers took him off an unremarkable couple of years at Sacramento State, and he’s performed better and better even as they’ve moved him up aggressively due to his age. He’s one of the best athletes in their entire system who might have four pluses on the scouting report, definitely a plus run, plus arm, plus power guy who might be a plus defender in center as well. There’s too much swing and miss in the zone here to say he’ll be more than an average hitter, but with his other tools, that makes him a potential star, especially if he can do more against lefties than just hit for power. He’s older than any hitter on this list, but doesn’t have as much baseball experience as the typical 25-year-old. Don’t be surprised if he ends up the Dodgers’ primary center fielder this year.

90. Warming Bernabel, 3B, Colorado Rockies
91. Joey Wiemer, OF, Milwaukee Brewers
92. Jack Leiter, RHP, Texas Rangers
93. Edgar Quero, C, Los Angeles Angels
94. Sammy Zavala, OF, San Diego Padres
Bats: Left | Throws: Left
International signing in 2021

Last year’s rank: Unranked

The Padres signed Zavala in January of 2021 for $1.2 million, part of the delayed signing period due to the pandemic. He went out and posted a .400 OBP that summer as a 16-year-old in the DSL, one of only four regulars that young in the league and the only one to top even a .340 OBP. He started last year in extended spring training, blasted through the Arizona League in 10 games (.345/.412/.621), then hit .254/.355/.508 in six weeks in Low A. He was the only 17-year-old to get 100 plate appearances in full-season ball last year, but posted a median OBP for the level and was in the top 15 percent of all hitters there in slugging (same minimum of 100 PA). He has absurd bat speed, rifling the bat through the zone with big hip rotation for hard contact and power, while he’s already shown unusual plate discipline for his age, especially when it comes to laying off pitches out of the zone. As a defender, he shows good instincts and routes, playing center so far more than right, but the odds are he’ll move to the corner in the long term. His combination of high-quality contact and excellent decisions at the plate point to a huge long-term upside, with the risk inherent in any 17-year-old with only 411 career plate appearances to his name.

95. Joey Ortiz, SS, Baltimore Orioles
96. Tyler Black, 2B/3B/OF, Milwaukee Brewers
97. Jake Eder, LHP, Miami Marlins
98. Adael Amador, SS, Colorado Rockies
99. Junior Caminero, 3B, Tampa Bay Rays
100. Bubba Chandler, RHP/DH, Pittsburgh Pirates

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Paracaidas posted:

Keith Law out with his Top 100. As usual, he has his own thoughts on prospect peccadillos and often diverges heavily from the prospect industrial complex's hivemind.

Preamble:

I've included some of the writeups I found interesting but happy to take requests (and even happier if any other Athletic subscribers take them as I'll be in and out of meetings all day)

ctrl+f, search "braves", no results. ruh roh

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Bubba Chandler made the list!!! I'm 100% sure he's no Shohei, but I hope he manages to keep being a 2 way player in the Majors

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would not be putting Jack Leiter in the Top 100 with how his professional career has gone so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Tatsuta Age posted:

ctrl+f, search "braves", no results. ruh roh

they’re all up or traded already, Smith-Shawver will be on the midseason lists and a couple guys like Jesse Franklin might still figure things out but other than that it’s waiting for the last draft or two to shake out, especially the ones who had injuries coming in