Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mind you there's like five people insane enough to seriously PVP in this game so build resources are slim at best. You're best off just asking someone in Kerrat if they have a discord or something for tips.

Unrelatedly, the new episode and TF are... okay? There's nothing really wrong with either except the usual cavalcade of Cryptic bugs and that just like a lot of content the past few years they're too drat long. The episode could have easily been split into two parts of a reasonable length and you could cut entire segments out of the task force without affecting the plot at all. I don't know why they're obsessed with making every task force take like 20 minutes and every episode something like 40 with all the mandatory running, talking, and time gated fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I don't know why they make the new-er missions endurance mode long instead of breaking them up into more actual missions. Maybe they're chasing a particular metric on a whiteboard set by some manager?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

If they split the missions up into two distinct parts, they have to give out more free things to the player as rewards, obviously can't have that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Asimo posted:

's nothing really wrong with either except the usual cavalcade of Cryptic bugs and that just like a lot of content the past few years they're too drat long.

I'm still something like 8 episodes back (I think the last one I did was the one where the elachi super weapon gets turned on that klingon world) for exactly that reason.

I just don't want to sit down and plow through something that long most days. poo poo, just create a cliff hanger and put in that great "to be continued" and "last time on Star Trek" at the beginning of the next one. Hell, release two episodes at once so people who want to do them right now cna do that! Just let me put it down half way through and come back in a bit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MREBoy posted:

Guess you got your wish!

Hooray!

I'm trying to kit an alt out in the Competitive Wargames set for aesthetic reasons, and getting stacks of Competitive marks is a pain without an event like this running.

The Competitive PvE TFOs are among the task forces I still have never seen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm still something like 8 episodes back (I think the last one I did was the one where the elachi super weapon gets turned on that klingon world) for exactly that reason.

I just don't want to sit down and plow through something that long most days. poo poo, just create a cliff hanger and put in that great "to be continued" and "last time on Star Trek" at the beginning of the next one. Hell, release two episodes at once so people who want to do them right now cna do that! Just let me put it down half way through and come back in a bit.

Well most of them have break points you can resume from, it's just not totally made clear when.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Hooray!

I'm trying to kit an alt out in the Competitive Wargames set for aesthetic reasons, and getting stacks of Competitive marks is a pain without an event like this running.

The Competitive PvE TFOs are among the task forces I still have never seen.

The only time anyone ever plays them are when one of them is a universal endeavor. Even then, the queues only pop for the first few hours after the endeavor goes up.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
There was an actual PVP endeavor a few weeks ago and it was hilarious. I haven’t actually done any PVP since Delta Rising, and it was great to find out that average pubbie teams somehow die even more easily than mobs against the scihole.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
More free stuff from Alienware: https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/s...ck-key-giveaway

Remember, you can still use the website to redeem the keys: https://www.arcgames.com/en/code-redemption

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Well most of them have break points you can resume from, it's just not totally made clear when.
A good rule of thumb is any time there's a map change, and especially after a ground/space swap. Just make sure to go to the new map first before quitting. :pseudo:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Birdcage TFO trip report: It's not good.

It's not bad, but it's too long, has two annoying "do this thing" minigame sections, and ends with two simultaneous bosses with 52k and 67k health respectively. That are also spamming science exocomps, so I was having flashbacks to the hell that was early STO ground combat where you literally couldn't damage some enemies faster than they could heal and resurrect themselves.

It definitely feels like it was meant to be a single-player mission, but they realized 1) they didn't have any TFOs for this launch and 2) BOFFs are dumb as loving rocks. At least humans only occasionally get stuck on level geometry.

Also, I got "Defeat Terrans (Ground)" as one of my personal endeavors for today, and the roughly 500 I killed in that didn't count. lol good job cryptic.

It took ~20 minutes total, and I was getting bored before halfway through. Running two patrols will be faster.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

More free stuff from Alienware: https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/s...ck-key-giveaway

Remember, you can still use the website to redeem the keys: https://www.arcgames.com/en/code-redemption

Ooo, elite boff tokens, this one's worth it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
After finishing the new story mission I guess it's ok that Emperor Wesley isn't killed off but I think he should have been made to wear his counterpart's ugly sweaters as punishment for his crimes

Preechr
May 19, 2009

That we were never allowed to tell the Emperor to shut up is a failure of writing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Preechr posted:

That we were never allowed to tell the Emperor to shut up is a failure of writing.

I mentioned this same thing earlier and was schooled that Will Wheaton hates that meme, so it basically had no chance of showing up.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

So? His lines are already in the can, and we’re unvoiced. What is Wheaton going to do, stop trying to get attached to a Star Trek product?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Preechr posted:

Cryptic just isn't interested in letting us kill villains anymore, either.

I haven't done a single new story mission since the Discovery stuff started, aside from my token STD Fed alt, and by all accounts this has been an excellent move.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I haven't done a single new story mission since the Discovery stuff started, aside from my token STD Fed alt, and by all accounts this has been an excellent move.

When was the last time we even killed a villain? The end of the Vaadwaur arc with Gaul?

We made peace with the Iconians, we put Future Guy in jail, the infamous female changeling got killed by a Hurq...

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

villain? Gaul?
Gaul did nothing wrong. The last villain we got to watch die was Jm’pok, and of course we didn’t get the kill ourselves because we had to be there to cheer on OC Donut Steal.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Star Trek is about killing the bad guy

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
What’s the consensus on obliviating phasers? Stats look interesting but I’m not seeing much about them.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Star Trek is about killing the bad guy

It sure as hell has been since 2009!

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jxforema posted:

What’s the consensus on obliviating phasers? Stats look interesting but I’m not seeing much about them.
There's no cannons, they're beam-only. The proc is 5% (good, but needs more testing because initial testing on the builds discord showed it lower) but per-shot instead of per-firing cycle (not as good). The proc itself isn't super exciting. The visuals are a literal copy/paste of the pulse phasers, so there's no space barbie reason to grab them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I did yell shoot him in the back! shoot him in the back! at the screen during that final Wesley cutscene. Even though this is the "finale" of the arc they had to tease more Terran poo poo so of course we'll see him again

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I appreciated Mirror Leeta trolling Shon over how he only puts out pubbie-level DPS.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, now that I think about it Trek itself just doesn't really kill villains. I mean sure the antagonist of the week was totally ganked in TOS, but from TNG on up they're usually running with their tail between their legs, arrested by <relevant local authority>, redeemed by the light of space liberalism, or left in some sort of ironic cumeuppance circumstance. Only real exception is Dukat and that was during the finale of the series and trek's only series-long story arc. It's not exactly satisfying in a game but at least it's on theme?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

TNG made up for that by killing Enterprise in its final episode.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Asimo posted:

To be fair, now that I think about it Trek itself just doesn't really kill villains. I mean sure the antagonist of the week was totally ganked in TOS, but from TNG on up they're usually running with their tail between their legs, arrested by <relevant local authority>, redeemed by the light of space liberalism, or left in some sort of ironic cumeuppance circumstance. Only real exception is Dukat and that was during the finale of the series and trek's only series-long story arc. It's not exactly satisfying in a game but at least it's on theme?

Also, Dukat’s probably not dead 😈

(If Sisko didn’t die but instead ascended or whatever, entirely likely Dukat isn’t dead but in purgatory or something)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I picked up the new shotgun-pistol from the lockbox...as someone who loves pistol sidearms for characters, and likes cone-attacks, it's pretty great.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Preechr posted:

So? His lines are already in the can, and we’re unvoiced. What is Wheaton going to do, stop trying to get attached to a Star Trek product?

Its not an ideal approach to start short-changing the actors who lend their likeness and voice just so that you can cram one meme into your game's writing. They all are SAG members after all, no matter how insignificant their career after Star Trek has been.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
considering some of the horrible poo poo I've read about him going through as a child actor I'm inclined to cut him some slack on him asking "hey maybe don't do this"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Wesley shouldve yelled "Shut up, Picard!" at the MU Picard

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Which would also be why MU Picard doesnt say anything because you cant get Patrick Stewart

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Been mucking around with an alt lately.

Fluidic Space is gorgeous and doesn't get used anywhere near enough.

And I miss missions that are just 'go to where the bad guys live and gently caress some poo poo up.'

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

My new laptop has a faulty network card, so I’m going to have to ship it in for repair. Means I’ll likely have to spend some zen on the anniversary ship. That sucks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish they'd make vanity shields of all of the new era hull types (Type 0, Galaxy, Sovereign, etc) so we can apply them to other ships that don't have them. Toss 'em up on the dil store for a little cost.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Even though I have a paramount account still, I am 100% not risking my sanity on Picard S3 until at least two trek goons in good standing post here to confirm the story and plotting make sense.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Even though I have a paramount account still, I am 100% not risking my sanity on Picard S3 until at least two trek goons in good standing post here to confirm the story and plotting make sense.

I'm curious if you're going to need an understanding of what happened in S2 or if it just gets memory holed.

Basically I really don't want to watch S2 if I can avoid it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I am not going to watch Picard S3 even if multiple goons give it a good review. S1 was such an unmitigated aimless clusterfuck which made the interesting and promising start to S2 even more disappointing when it eagerly made the worst possible plot and pacing decisions humanly possible. It would have to have something like Mandalorian-level word of mouth to get me to bother and even then it would only be after the entire season's out so early hype has been killed by the expected disaster of a finale.

I mean I may play STO do but I do maintain some level of pattern recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've been thinking. Cryptic noted in the last ten-forward that they'll keep doing the yearly meta, but... I'm strongly considering the t6 z-store coupons rather than a lockbox ship.

I feel like I've got more ships I like the looks of than I actively want to fly, and I think I'd prefer account-wide new stuff now.

Nothing's come out last year that made me go yes I'll take that now.

Edit: For those curious, if patterns hold here will be the new choices this year:

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 30, 2023