Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Double faction and drops, too.

Gonna be spending some evenings in Lower Guk and Howling Stones while my Necro levels to 50. Should be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Anyone hitting howling stones on green?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Is it me or is the bind wound macro broken now? Turning on autoattack at the end seems to break off bind wound no matter what.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Combat bind wound was deemed not classic and removed.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
currently leveling a 21 necro on green if anyone wants to grp. Up for adventures in non standard places. Name: Poxa

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
What is the cool head model for male ogres? i want a good one for my ogre SK.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

The goofy smile

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

i mean helmet armors.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
There's a new emu PvP server popping up in a few days that is mostly 1999+Kunark.

EQ PVP is often a train wreck, but it can be a lot of fun as well for those that enjoy it. More info at https://discord.gg/QuFcvazf if it interests you

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Oh yah, I know these guys. On Aradune, I somehow managed to link up with some old Duke era Red99 heads and two of the guys developing this server were in the crew. Looks interesting, I might give it a try with a couple friends, but I feel like EQ PvP is mostly solved and if you aren't socking you're gonna have a bad time.

Also, I've played a lot of MMOs, including Eve Online, and I don't think I've seen anything that challenges the depravity of Red 99 players.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Oh yah, I know these guys. On Aradune, I somehow managed to link up with some old Duke era Red99 heads and two of the guys developing this server were in the crew. Looks interesting, I might give it a try with a couple friends, but I feel like EQ PvP is mostly solved and if you aren't socking you're gonna have a bad time.

Also, I've played a lot of MMOs, including Eve Online, and I don't think I've seen anything that challenges the depravity of Red 99 players.

Mostly solved in what sense? I’m curious what the optimal strats are. Guessing level trumps most everything else so solo-friendly / pet classes are probably very strong early game.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ruggan posted:

Mostly solved in what sense? I’m curious what the optimal strats are. Guessing level trumps most everything else so solo-friendly / pet classes are probably very strong early game.

There was a lot of implied expertise in my post, but it shouldn't be there. I've gained a lot of knowledge from playing with this crew, but don't have first hand experience.

Cheese spots, different clickies that are necessary, items, abilities and spells that are not considered useful in PvE but highly useful in PvP (looking at you, Pumices, Cloudy Pots), Resists > all, gate always on bar, secret bind spots, etc.

I think maybe some fresh server roll-up would be interesting as people probably forgot a lot of low level / low economy starts, but anyone new to EQ PvP is probably gonna be at a huge disadvantage compared to Red99 players or even Zek players.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

I like that they're opening Veksar with the classic content. Ambivalent on the pvp but might check it out.

What does "levels locked" for 4 days mean?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
I am fairly sure (But not 100%) that when someone hits 30 thats the level max for 4 days. They are doing it as a way to prevent people from rushing 50 then killing the entire server since 50s destroy everyone and there are still bugs in the classic code that get abused up to 50.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

There was a lot of implied expertise in my post, but it shouldn't be there. I've gained a lot of knowledge from playing with this crew, but don't have first hand experience.

Cheese spots, different clickies that are necessary, items, abilities and spells that are not considered useful in PvE but highly useful in PvP (looking at you, Pumices, Cloudy Pots), Resists > all, gate always on bar, secret bind spots, etc.

I think maybe some fresh server roll-up would be interesting as people probably forgot a lot of low level / low economy starts, but anyone new to EQ PvP is probably gonna be at a huge disadvantage compared to Red99 players or even Zek players.

As someone who grew up on Vallon Zek through the end of Kunark. PVP servers are a cluster and loot rules are really rough when it takes a month to get some quest items. Because your always always under attack. Your only safe with your race / guild, and every zone line becomes a battle ground of wizards trying to gank before you can even move.

The only saving grace is everyone is in the same hell scape (other then a few necros and druids who kite to 50+) So your dealing with ganking level 30 wizards not 50.

Bards are stupidly OP as they can fear kite almost anyone, Enchanters could charm players, blind spell makes you think your screen is broken and stops you from bagging your equipment. O ya and most people die to the SK HT till they put a cap of like 60%.

In short its a wild west of pvp mechanics that may or may not belong together.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

PyRosflam posted:

Bards are stupidly OP as they can fear kite almost anyone, Enchanters could charm players, blind spell makes you think your screen is broken and stops you from bagging your equipment. O ya and most people die to the SK HT till they put a cap of like 60%.

In short its a wild west of pvp mechanics that may or may not belong together.

Interestingly, bards are not going to be on this server iirc because the devs knew how OP they were. So, some comedy on the name "A Minstrel's Tear". E: I might be wrong about this but I was operating under this assumption.

I think any class with early invis will be great.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 23, 2023

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Pillow Armadillo posted:

What does "levels locked" for 4 days mean?
What PyRosflam said - once someone hits level 30, it becomes the soft cap for 4 days to give everyone else some time to catch up.

And yeah normally Bards are S++ Tier, required for every group and still dominant solo, but they won't be around on this server. I think it's an interesting experiment.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

im considering trying out Project Lazarus just to experience all the other cool poo poo eq has on a server that isn't permalocked to primitive expansions.

only roadblock is setting up MQ2 with the proper bot macros for my alts.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

The biggest hack for pvp servers is being nice and making friends but yeah don’t expect to get to even lv10 unmolested. Ogre war with resist gear and a weighted axe cheese sounds fun tho

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260
I just hit 23 on my Bone Knight Tumpus and holy poo poo y’all this is the most fun I’ve had with an alt ever, bar none. 100% Bone Knight believer over here.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the hell is a bone knight

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Kild posted:

the hell is a bone knight

Stack dex on a necro, facetank everything with vampiric embrace, lifetaps and bond

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

Pro move is to roll gnome and max dex on creation, I’m at 168 dex with mostly cheap gear. Get a cheap proccing weapon and it’s all gravy

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Works great until well in your 40s and then you’re still a charming class so op as gently caress

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

That Minstrel's server that was mentioned upthread - is that gonna appear on the EQEmu list or is there a website to find out how to join? Supposed to start tomorrow

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Pillow Armadillo posted:

That Minstrel's server that was mentioned upthread - is that gonna appear on the EQEmu list or is there a website to find out how to join? Supposed to start tomorrow

I think it's EQEmu list. They have their own custom patcher/installer tho, no titanium required (links on discord).

I couldn't remember my old EQEmu account pw and couldn't get a new account verified before I needed to do other stuff. But I watched a friend roll a human ranger (lol) and race to level 5 and Jack a couple level 1 druids meming their spells before he got destroyed by a pair of level 5 monks.

Server is good (to watch).

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Is anyone else following the LanternEQ project? They're recreating the classic EQ client for modern systems in Unity. They just released a big update so I decided to try it out and it's really impressive. Still very early in development and far from complete, but it's fun to mess around with. Runs very smoothly in super high res on macOS which is awesome. It's local single player only right now, but eventually it's supposed to be able to hook into emulated servers like p99.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Decided I'm doing a Quellious paladin pacifist roll up tomorrow on RoZ. Gonna preach the gospel of tranquility and the futility of violence (PvP). Hoping to get a couple friends to do it with me and make PvP feel like a timesink. Wish me luck!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Made a wiz named Hotpocket on RoZ. I definitely don’t have the time or inclination to sock this game but I made it to level 2 without dying :v:

Surprised by the launch day population of ~250 but since there are no boxing rules who knows really.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

dizzywhip posted:

Is anyone else following the LanternEQ project? They're recreating the classic EQ client for modern systems in Unity. They just released a big update so I decided to try it out and it's really impressive. Still very early in development and far from complete, but it's fun to mess around with. Runs very smoothly in super high res on macOS which is awesome. It's local single player only right now, but eventually it's supposed to be able to hook into emulated servers like p99.

i've seen a few videos and i figured it was just some taped up unity project. if they actually get this to work with p99 AND the admins accept it, it will be big for removing bugs from the old client.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Dizz posted:

i've seen a few videos and i figured it was just some taped up unity project. if they actually get this to work with p99 AND the admins accept it, it will be big for removing bugs from the old client.

Yeah I'm still cautiously optimistic, but from what I can tell it seems like they're dedicated and know what they're doing. I was surprised by how authentic it felt to run around and punch skeletons.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Little RoZ trip report.

I ended up rolling a human Necro of bertoxxulous for that sexy Qeynos start. I've made it to level 17 mostly soloing, but have 3 friends (9 pal, 13 rng, 16 enc) on the server as well and I've grouped some with them.

For PvP, I've died twice. The first was from a low level warrior that the guards assisted over me, because hay! not many folks in Qeynos love the plague necromancer. The other time, a higher level enchanter got the drop on me with low health.

I've gated out from two ambushes.

I made 5 (!!!) people gate while I was farming in Qeynos Aqueducts.

I had a close fight that I ended up gating in black burrow. Rogue caught me when I had just finished killing a yellow, and I lost my pet and didn't have the mana to get the last 30%>

I've fought the same guy 3 times last night and driven him off each time, but unable to secure the kill due to low level mana constraints.

Overall, I'm having fun, but right now the lack of resources to confirm a kill is a little frustrating. It's definitely a lot of PvE with some added danger. I think with another 5-10 levels, I'll probably start being more of a power house.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Wonder how a bone knight would fare in that environment,

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ruggan posted:

Wonder how a bone knight would fare in that environment,

It's extremely loot constrained. No velious, kunark is not unlocked, and we are at day 4 with a level 30 cap until Thursday 8 AM.

I think bone knight only works in places where you can easily get good proccing weapons, which I think are bottlenecked by platinum since most good bone knight weapons you couldn't get solo.

Also, melees do a lot more damage than green/blue. Sitting always incurs a max hit, and arrows do double damage against stationary targets. Snare is pretty king, and Necro snare kind of sucks until dooming darkness. Finally, it's all about the joust, so 2h weapons seem to be better than faster 1h.

So, idk about bone knight.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

By good weapons, we're talking about a Staff of Writhing from the kobold noble and some cheap dagger off Crookstinger.

Classic bone knight can also wear golden Efreeti armor from the planes. I'll probably make one on the server and copy my build over.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

I think the earliest proccing weapon would be crookstinger, probably not a fun camp early on in a pretty dangerous zone early-on.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
EQ story time:

One time I was farming HoT armor drops in ToV and I traded a drop for a Doljonijiarnimorinar. Inspired by this I rolled up a Human Dex Paladin named Emapthe a play on a KWSM paladin's name.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Empathe

I since have twinked her further, she primarily hunts solo and against undead mobs.

Having a Fungi, Cloak of Flames and Reaver means she absolutely chunks HP off mobs as she face tanks.

I got her the sword of blessing by killing her in velks, and using my bard main to corpse drag her to the drop spot in dogs, then farmed it looted the sword and she capped out.

I just need to farm some thurg legs, in the plate house....

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

KingFisher posted:

EQ story time:

I made a new account a whole while back with level ones of class/race combos I have never really played. I don't twink or buff them so they are in drops and handouts. Logged on the level 18 human ranger few weeks back and fought a blue con ghoul in Oasis. It got me down to unconscious, then I got up and hit it and killed it. Gained 3 points in Bind Wound that day!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This is my yearly post asking if any of you nerds are gonna play on the new TLP.

New ruleset is kinda not super exciting. Adding FTE encounter locking. I'm sure it will cause a lot of drama. Might be fun!

I didn't play a ton last year. Quit before Kunark. I got some extra PCs now so I'm gonna 3 box a team. Not sure what yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

I participated in a stress test (it's not even in pre-alpha) for this thing yesterday: https://monstersandmemories.com/

It was laggy and crude but it felt right and I had a blast. Almost immediately grouped with a guy who plays on p99 so I bet a lot of people who took part do too, which is good for if it ever launches, it'll hopefully have a good playerbase right from the start. Definitely keeping my eye on it.