Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Thanks for all the advice! We have not looked at DVC stuff. That whole thing scares me, confuses, sounds like a pyramid scheme partially etc etc lmao.

Nah, don't do DVC itself. Just do a rental; borrowing someone else's timeshare (DVC is just a timeshare). That way you get your place, you get a really nice spot at a Deluxe-level resort, and you usually get a small kitchen and whatnot, too. It's very comfortable and not too far off for some of the rentals vs moderate or low level deluxe these days. ...Which is kind of crazy, but that's just how prices on stuff is right now (and I hope it goes down a little bit, because I couldn't bring myself to spend on-property money my last trip)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Disappointing Pie posted:

Thanks for all the advice! We have not looked at DVC stuff. That whole thing scares me, confuses, sounds like a pyramid scheme partially etc etc lmao.

You wouldn't have to buy into DVC, you could rent someone else's points. Why would you do that? Basically you could stay at a "nicer*" resort for less money.

A quick example. June 17th to 23rd, a 6 night stay. You want to go all out for your anniversary and stay somewhere fancy like the Grand Floridian, until you see the Grand Flo is like 900 dollars a night. No way you want to spend 4500 plus tax to stay there.

You could in theory, rent DVC points from a broker like David's DVC Rental, and a DVC owner would get you 6 nights at the DVC part of the Grand Floridian, and it would cost you about 2800 for those 6 nights.

There are some downsides doing this. You're dealing with a DVC member who is booking your reservation for you. You're not going to be able to cancel it, so if the trip is not 100% sure or you can't afford to eat the loss, don't do it. DVC is not the same as staying at the normal hotel, there's a few differences like reduced housekeeping, and the buildings are farther away from the main part of the hotel. You do get the extra magic hours perks of staying deluxe though.

* a bit of a mini rant, but I don't consider any of the resorts on property to truly be "deluxe". Disney Deluxe is not the same as a Ritz or JW. Deluxe usually means more about location than actual hotel room quality.

I don't think it really matters though. I checked DVC availability (I bought in about 6 years ago) and pickings are slim for mid June right now. You generally schedule DVC stuff 11 months in advance to get the best options. There is a surprising amount of availability at the Grand Floridian, and as always Saratoga Springs and Old Key West, and there's a studio at Kidani for the entire 6 nights of the hypothetical June 17th to 23rd stay. The other resorts are all booked.

edit: They've got the 25% off deal on rooms right now. Some decent prices right now... Animal Kingdom Lodge at 350/night might be worth a splurge if budget allows. It's a cool hotel, but the transportation options suck. You're a 10-15 minute bus ride from everything else. Renting DVC points got expensive as well, booking direct makes more sense for sure. Caribbean Beach would be my moderate choice.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 26, 2023

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Sooo.... looking for some DLR insight. My wife randomly waitlisted a room via DVC at the Grand Californian for late April, 23-27. We never expected to get it, completely forgot we did it in the meantime, then got an email last night notifying us that we did get the reservation!

In the meantime we decided that we're hell-bent on saving/budgeting for a trip to Tokyo Disney for 2024/25, so we're struggling deciding whether to cancel this DLR stay or try and sell it to someone else.

That said, what should we expect to budget for food on that trip for a four-night stay for two adults and a four-year old?

It looks like four-days of park tickets with a hopper is $1300 and change, and flights for us would be about $1000ish. If food isn't insane, I'm tempted to go ahead with it. Except I might have to "walk" the reservation a little later because I don't think I can do a work conference from April 17-20, then turn around and be gone a week after.

The only reason I haven't done anything yet is because as badly as we want to visit Tokyo, I've also never been to DLR and always wanted to check it out so I'm not totally sure what to do.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 26, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Doronin posted:

That said, what should we expect to budget for on that trip for a four-night stay for tickets and food for two adults and a four-year old?

Depends. How many park days do you want? Tickets are a big part of the budget of course. Park Hoppers? (I'm pro park hopper, but we go hard at the parks, you might take it easier with a 4 year old). Genie+?

Do you plan on doing character dining? Eating a bunch of sit down meals on property? Dining is usually the 2nd biggest expense.

We've always done DLR on the cheap and stayed across the street at the Tropicana and avoided character dining and sit down meals, but our DLR trips are shorter and way less expensive than WDW.

Also don't forget about transportation if you are flying, the bus service is no more sadly (last I checked). You'll need to figure out something with a car seat for the kiddo.

Ballpark 2500 to 4000 depending on food and souvenir spending. 4 day park hoppers for the 3 of you are 1340 plus tax. Genie+ is another 300 (ouch!) Character dining will add up. Breakfast at Storytellers will run you 130 plus tax and tip. Dinner at Goofy's Kitchen will run about 150 plus tax and tip, so it's really easy to spend 300+ bucks a day just eating.

Our last trip for 5 days was under 4K including 4 nights at the Tropicana. I will say you really only need 3 days to see almost everything at DLR. Day 4 for us was repeats of the highlights and day 5 was kinda like "we don't want to ride star tours for the 37th time). To be fair I haven't been there since 2018, there's a bit more to do now.

We don't really do character dining anymore now the kids are older, so breakfast is usually the McDonalds on Harbor street, or something from our grocery order I get delivered to the room (donuts, poptarts, granola bars, etc). Lunch is a Quick Service in the parks or at Downtown Disney, and dinner we stay flexible. One night last trip it was midnight breakfast at the Denny's on Harbor.

DLR is awesome and I want to go back so bad. My favorite Disney experience so far is Cars Land at night. It's amazing. I could just walk around and soak it in for hours.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 26, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hazo posted:

My wife is terrified of storms but says she would happily ride out a hurricane in WDW because you know they’re keeping power on and people fed and buildings standing.

One year we drove up from Bradenton to a Knights Inn on 192 and huddled with the lights off hoping the roof didn’t fly off.

Another year we ended up evacuating late when the forecast shifted too much and spent all night yelling at each other as we drove further and further north up old 41, eventually finding a room in, like, Valdosta. I never want to do that again.

The house has never been actually damaged in a hurricane but we’re always without power for a week.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Braksgirl posted:

If I had to choose between Pop and POFQ, I'd choose Pop every time. The rooms aren't appreciably nicer at POFQ and you get the Skyliner at Pop. I've never stayed at Gran Destino, but I hear it's nice. I'd probably still take Pop over that because I love just heading over on the Skyliner of an evening to visit Epcot. Pop is probably my new favorite resort these days because the price is right and you get the Skyliner. I'd spend the cost difference between Mod and Value on a nice dinner somewhere.
Braksgirl knows all this, but it’s the same subject so …

The “problem” I have with the French Quarter is that (the last time I stayed there) your only transport option was the bus. I agree being able to hop on the Skyliner to EPCOT is really convenient, especially since from the Skyliner stop at EPCOT you can get on the boat that’s right next to it and go to Hollywood Studios. Or if you walk through EPCOT you can catch the monorail to Magic Kingdom.

A person can also get the Skyliner benefits from the Caribbean hotels, if that’s more their speed.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

skipdogg posted:

Depends. How many park days do you want? Tickets are a big part of the budget of course. Park Hoppers? (I'm pro park hopper, but we go hard at the parks, you might take it easier with a 4 year old). Genie+?

:words:

Thank you!! This is super helpful, and I completely forgot about airport transfer and character dining. So I guess all-in, 4 days at DLR will run roughly what 6 nights at WDW cost in 2022 for us. That's also great to know about 3 days probably being plenty because if we do make the trip, I'd like a day of just the resort or Knotsberry Farm.

Luigi Thirty posted:

One year we drove up from Bradenton to a .

You live in Bradenton? Dang, and I thought I was the only goon in town from 2012-20.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Knotts is 100% worth the extra day.

You can skip SFMM.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Luigi Thirty posted:

One year we drove up from Bradenton to a Knights Inn on 192 and huddled with the lights off hoping the roof didn’t fly off.

Another year we ended up evacuating late when the forecast shifted too much and spent all night yelling at each other as we drove further and further north up old 41, eventually finding a room in, like, Valdosta. I never want to do that again.

The house has never been actually damaged in a hurricane but we’re always without power for a week.

We were already in Disney when Ida hit home, it ended up being way cheaper and more enjoyable for us to just stay at disney for close to 2 weeks while waiting for power to come back and things to calm down.
I recall someone saying hotels in Shreveport were trying to charge $500 a night. We were staying at Coronado tower then Pop afterwards for under $200 a night and park tickets on your 10th day are less than a Starbucks drink

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A person can also get the Skyliner benefits from the Caribbean hotels, if that’s more their speed.

This is true, Caribbean Beach has Skyliner access, but the resort is HUGE and your room might not be situated near the station. That's why I like Pop. It's a big resort but not sprawling like Caribbean Beach, plus it has renovated rooms. Caribbean Beach is currently undergoing refurb, I believe, and sometimes that makes for a noisy stay. Pop is my go-to, is what I'm saying.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

We stayed at French Quarter with the kids about a year ago and I really liked it. You do have to take the bus everywhere, which is a downside, and the food choices aren’t great. You can walk over to Riverside or take a boat to Disney Springs though, which is pretty nice. Also, I ate my weight in Mickey beignets.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The “problem” I have with the French Quarter is that (the last time I stayed there) your only transport option was the bus. I agree being able to hop on the Skyliner to EPCOT is really convenient, especially since from the Skyliner stop at EPCOT you can get on the boat that’s right next to it and go to Hollywood Studios. Or if you walk through EPCOT you can catch the monorail to Magic Kingdom.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but you can take the Skyliner to DHS too

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Funzo posted:

Also, I ate my weight in Mickey beignets.
This is something I forgot to do last trip. Quoting so I can search my own posts when making a checklist for next time.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What's the proper way to wear the cooling rags so you don't look crazy?
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxoarvM9_vqTsrnzAP2xnsCEwsZwnTCmGo

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Upsidads posted:

Draped on the back of your neck

But the real answer is nobody cares what you look like in the Florida summer heat

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Neck fan it up

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Kids already laugh at me now it's a cape

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I wear mine like a scarf and occasionally tuck under my shirt collar. Also, yeah, no one gives a poo poo how you look in summer Florida heat.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The other think about FQ is there are like 8 bus stops you have to wait through. Similar at Coronado, IIRC.

FQ does have a boat to Disney Springs, but that’s of so much less value than direct transport to parks like Skyliner, monorail or boat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Upsidads posted:

Blindfold yourself and walk more assertively than you ever have in your life.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

BDawg posted:

The other think about FQ is there are like 8 bus stops you have to wait through. Similar at Coronado, IIRC.

FQ does have a boat to Disney Springs, but that’s of so much less value than direct transport to parks like Skyliner, monorail or boat.

POFQ is pretty compact. You can easily walk from any room to the main building. I don't think it even has a local bus.

Riverside maybe what you are thinking about. It's more spread out and does have a local bus (but only 4 stops).

Zero One fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 27, 2023

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Zero One posted:

POFQ is pretty compact. You can easily walk from any room to the main building. I don't think it even has a local bus.

Riverside maybe what you are thinking about. It's more spread out and does have a local bus (but only 4 stops).

Maybe so. I’ve stayed at both and remember lots of bus stops.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

BDawg posted:

Maybe so. I’ve stayed at both and remember lots of bus stops.

POFQ has one bus stop, Riverside has four. I've stayed twice at POR, both times in the mansion section, so I caught the bus at the main building and never had a problem, but I think if you stay in the other buildings it can be a bit of a hassle

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Doronin posted:

The only reason I haven't done anything yet is because as badly as we want to visit Tokyo, I've also never been to DLR and always wanted to check it out so I'm not totally sure what to do.

Tokyo is getting a huge expansion soon. So putting off a trip until that opens and some of the opening crowds die down isn't the worst idea

Plus DLR is truly wonderful. Not that TDR isn't.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A few random things:

I'm reading some articles and apparently Tron is going to have a locker system like what UO uses for rides like Hulk.

MMRR opened at DLR and I saw some photos of the queue. Holy poo poo. They need to renovate the queue at DHS right the gently caress now and do that too.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I wish more parks did lockers like UO. I don’t want my drat phone and wallet falling out of my pocket and I don’t want to trek across the park for no reason so I can take some pictures and buy lunch.

An extreme example of why they are a good thing: years ago I was at Dollywood and had the misfortune to make the trip on a day when they had a bunch of school groups. They had to shut down Mystery Mine every twenty minutes because some idiot teenager lost their phone or whatever on the final drop and the ops had to stop the ride and turn the lights on to make sure there wasn’t crap on the track.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

imo I hope lockers don't become a thing. I like just putting my stuff in my backpack between my legs. Stowing and retrieving is a major time sink that makes the line longer and increases chances for certain people in my party to lose something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

alg posted:

imo I hope lockers don't become a thing. I like just putting my stuff in my backpack between my legs. Stowing and retrieving is a major time sink that makes the line longer and increases chances for certain people in my party to lose something.

I don't think they will become a thing. It's definitely because of the ride vehicles themselves. There's nowhere to stow anything.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Coasterphreak posted:

I wish more parks did lockers like UO. I don’t want my drat phone and wallet falling out of my pocket and I don’t want to trek across the park for no reason so I can take some pictures and buy lunch.

An extreme example of why they are a good thing: years ago I was at Dollywood and had the misfortune to make the trip on a day when they had a bunch of school groups. They had to shut down Mystery Mine every twenty minutes because some idiot teenager lost their phone or whatever on the final drop and the ops had to stop the ride and turn the lights on to make sure there wasn’t crap on the track.

Regular amusement parks could do lockers better. But rides at Disney are rarely intense enough to worry about that.

It will be interesting to see how it works for them. Traditionally Disney hasn't cared about carry-ons. But now looking to enforce loose article policies is going to cause them some guest satisfaction and efficiency. (Ask me about working at a major American amusement park when they tried to go zero tolerance for loose articles... it was a nightmare)

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Zero One posted:

Regular amusement parks could do lockers better. But rides at Disney are rarely intense enough to worry about that.

It will be interesting to see how it works for them. Traditionally Disney hasn't cared about carry-ons. But now looking to enforce loose article policies is going to cause them some guest satisfaction and efficiency. (Ask me about working at a major American amusement park when they tried to go zero tolerance for loose articles... it was a nightmare)

Which one? Was it a CF park?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It looks like it's just bigger items. There's still a storage slot on the front of the vehicle that can fit phones and things about that size.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Coasterphreak posted:

Which one? Was it a CF park?

Yeah... the flagship: Cedar Point. This was 18 years ago (jesus I'm old) but they suddenly decided to ban any loose articles on the rides (which was always the case) and the lines (which was allowed before and you could leave stuff in bins at the loading platform).

Of course, being Cedar Fair, they were cheap and invested in zero new lockers and they cost a lot of money to use each time. They just made us college kids enforce the rule which led to upset guests that were were not trained to handle. It also led to a lot of slowdowns and shutdowns of rides when items were found at loading and guests caused scenes refusing to leave the ride to put their stuff in lockers.

It lasted like two weeks before they went back to bins.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cya, jizzlords:
https://twitter.com/MasterOfMalt/status/1619311097399369734

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

alg posted:

This is pretty much how I feel. I always worry about losing something even if I never have, and having to do the shuffle of loose items so that everything fits in a locker at Universal is the opposite of fun.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I read the article, I watched the trailer for the show, and it still feels inconclusive to me if the people who named this knew what they were doing. I'm leaning toward probably, but maybe jizz means something different in the UK, like fanny means something different there?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It's a Disney show in the way that What We Do In the Shadows is a Disney show. There's a cum joke 20 seconds into the first episode.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The cantina band plays jizz. The musicians are termed jizz-wailers.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Jose Oquendo posted:

MMRR opened at DLR and I saw some photos of the queue. Holy poo poo. They need to renovate the queue at DHS right the gently caress now and do that too.

I just watched some video of it and... no. gently caress no.

Destroying the beautiful Chinese Theatre interior to replace it with hard-plastic "Toon" decor would be a travesty.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Give me the hard plastic dumb toon poo poo in FL. Idgaf about that old rear end theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
The transition from reality to toon stuff preshow hits harder in DHS than the style switch of DLR, Grauman's queue is hella good and should stay. Besides, differences between coasts are good for keeping everything from feeling samey.

Circutron fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 29, 2023