Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Cornish Pasty. Checkmate motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tai posted:

I am really high and its late at night and now I really want a cornish pasty. I hate you

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I miss Fentimans (and Pyraser), but I'm glad it's not easy for me to get, or I would have drank all the teeth out of my skull, probably dead from diabetes.

I rarely soda unless I go abroad.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Driving through helicopter flares.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1618634240324956161

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Arrath posted:

Christ 15 -> 500k is one hell of a return on investment.

It’s not. Any maintenance and storage on them has already killed him. He might be making a small profit on them but not infinite money.

In Finland, it wasn’t hard to buy BMPs. Many Finns also bought them from auctions from Checzia and Poland in early 2000s. They sold for a few thousand euros often, but you were responsible for transport out, which already upped the price.

My ”neighbor” (few miles in the country side) bought some BMPs for a business retreat adventure park. Flat 2000€ each and I don’t think they ever made back what they ended up costing in fuel and maintenance. He stayed afloat with renting out the T-34 for movies and other things.

Even now sometimes Finnish Army auctions will sell Ural trucks to you for a few thousands. Enjoy 10mpg and oil additions instead of changes.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
drat, at that cost they’re basically under scrap value.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Herstory Begins Now posted:

can Ukrainians resist replacing their national cuisine with putting some canned beans on toast??

a top attack the ukrainians defended against handily

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kei Technical posted:

I’m sorry, but I just can’t entertain the thought that “the best champagnes are English, Beefeater1980 told me that”

im permabanned poster Beefeater1980

psydude posted:

Damned speculators making the second hand market for tanks unaffordable for the middle class.

get a real job tanklords!!!

Tai posted:

these midwestern strippers are something else man

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 29, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

orange juche posted:

E: We're not likely to see Ukrainian Abarams in 2023 though, the Lima Tank Plant is fully booked with orders for Poland and Taiwan through 2024. Government procurement is a hell of a thing. Since they can't/wont export the DU Chobham armor for the Ukrainian tanks, they can't get them over there in any sort of speedy timeframe.

Interesting. So there is a chance that if there is another president than Biden in 2025 Ukraine might not get tanks from us at all.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fragrag posted:

In Belgian news, 40 privately-owned Leopard 1A5s are in a warehouse and their owner is loudly complaining he can't sell them because Wallonia won't give him an export permit for them.

Is it possible that a whole Leopard 1A5 battalion might prove to be more of a burden rather than an asset for Ukraine?

EDIT: Maybe I should google before pulling something out of my rear end. Apparently Ukraine was been open to receiving the older Leopard 1A5

leo 1's have like no armor. they are better off just using t-72s

at least they moved some of the ammo from next to the driver in the a5 version

quote:

The resulting Leopard 1A5 was based on 1,225 vehicles of the Leopard 1A1A1 model. The turrets were again modified for the 1A5, both in order to store all of the new equipment, as well as to move more of the ammunition into the rear of the turret, as opposed to the left side of the driver where it had previously been stored. The new turret was able to mount the newer 120 mm gun from the Leopard 2 if desired, although this option has not been used.

ded fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 29, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alan Smithee posted:

im permabanned poster Beefeater1980

get a real job tanklords!!!

these midwestern strippers are something else man

When I lived in England I remember being able to buy pasties with various kinds of curry in them at train stations. Absolutely A+ drunk food.

There was also a late night curry house with lovely 70s fake leather booths that served rabbit and venison curry. Also A+ drunk food. If you bought two orders of it for takeout you could barter one for a free cab ride home if you hailed the right driver.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 29, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

When I lived in England I remember being able to buy pasties with various kinds of curry in them at train stations. Absolutely A+ drunk food.

There was also a late night curry house with lovely 70s fake leather booths that served rabbit and venison curry. Also A+ drunk food. If you bought two orders of it for takeout you could barter one for a free cab ride home if you hailed the right driver.

Dang that sounds really good.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ded posted:

leo 1's have like no armor. they are better off just using t-72s

Leopard ones are very much "go fast don't get hit" since at the time of their design it was thought you couldn't reliably defend against heat rounds, which was somewhat true until armor technology caught up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

Leopard ones are very much "go fast don't get hit" since at the time of their design it was thought you couldn't reliably defend against heat rounds, which was somewhat true until armor technology caught up.

The Leopard 2 at least has better crew protection and blow out systems unlike the T-72.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CommieGIR posted:

The Leopard 2 at least has better crew protection and blow out systems unlike the T-72.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only modernish tanks that don't have blowout systems are the Russian T-Series.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, the only modernish tanks that don't have blowout systems are the Russian T-Series.

Nonsense, it just blows the crew to the moon!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Blistex posted:

The ammo in the turret bustle is behind door, but based on the pictures I've seen the ammo storage in the front hull is open.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/1620175111944019971?s=20&t=n9_ee9VXmGPr32qQN2sLeg

who knows if he could even hear or whatever, but lol at the delivery

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

No Brandon that’s not when you diamond Joe it

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

There was an article a few years ago about how real estate works In Moscow. Russia.txt

quote:

Selling Real Estate in Russia? Are You Crazy?

quote:

They found a two-bedroom apartment and secured a mortgage as well as a buyer for their former home. As closing day approached, the couple had one task to complete. Each would need a certificate of sanity from a psychologist.

“They will look at our psychological state,” she explained. “If everything is normal, they will give us the document.”

Ms. Kotova, and tens of thousands of other Russians who are required to produce such a document to sell property, have no history of mental illness. The certificate, which must be signed and stamped by a doctor, is a legal defense against a pervasive problem in Moscow real estate deals: rampant fraud and weak courts.

quote:

In one common scheme, agents collude with property owners to sell homes and then race to petition judges that the sale should be invalidated because the seller was temporarily insane. Buyers lose their cash, sellers keep the homes and sales agents — and judges who may be in on the scheme — pocket millions of rubles.

quote:

This fall, one group of real estate agents, as all agents do, followed a cardinal rule of the property market: location, location, location. They were looking for a quiet spot with few neighbors and good waterfront access — to dispose of the bodies of customers who had gotten in the way of their making, well, a killing in the market.

Over a span of five years ending this August, the group killed nine customers and dumped some bodies in a picturesque lake in the woods outside Moscow, the Russian police said in a statement.

The murderous sales agents found older or alcoholic customers who wanted to sell their apartments and move to small towns in the Tver region north of Moscow, where real estate is cheaper. The sellers planned to pocket the profit from their Moscow homes and live in communities described as quiet retreats.

After the Moscow apartments sold, the agents deposited the proceeds in a type of escrow account they controlled. They then invited the customers on house-hunting trips near the lake, an old rock quarry.

The gang drowned customers in the lake or smothered them with plastic bags while driving around the countryside, to prevent them from complaining to the police that there were no new homes for sale in the small towns.

quote:

There are people who lived to tell of harrowing Moscow real estate transactions. Last year, state television reported that a gang of brokers kidnapped about 30 Moscow apartment sellers over eight years and then kept their properties. The former owners, mostly alcoholic single men, were put to work as slave laborers on a remote farm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/25/...&smid=share-url

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Holy gently caress

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There was an article a few years ago about how real estate works In Moscow. Russia.txt

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/25/...&smid=share-url

no future
no rich
this is well you know how it goes

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The abject misery that the average Russian just takes it as their lot is beyond any comedy. Life just sucks, and it never gets better.

After you get rescued from the slave labor real estate farm, you get sent to Ukraine without supplies to rush against a machinegun nest.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
but commissar, i am yakov smirnov

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

The abject misery that the average Russian just takes it as their lot is beyond any comedy. Life just sucks, and it never gets better.

After you get rescued from the slave labor real estate farm, you get sent to Ukraine without supplies to rush against a machinegun nest.

The literature this war is going to be producing decades from now is going to be sublime

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

The literature this war is going to be producing decades from now is going to be sublime

the way putin's russia is headed, the next great russian author is only going to be able to write a pop up book

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Correct. Just like every other decade.

Having read a decent number of Russian literature from inter-war to end of the CCCP, the theme is always "Life is suffering, misery is constant, we have no future, suffering is our lot".

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

the way putin's russia is headed, the next great russian author is only going to be able to write a pop up book

Crime and Punishment and Crime and Punishment and Crime and Punishment: My Journey from Putin’s Inner Circle to a Wagner Penal Battalion to Prighozin’s Inner Circle to The Hague

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Crime and Punishment and Crime and Punishment and Crime and Punishment: My Journey from Putin’s Inner Circle to a Wagner Penal Battalion to Prighozin’s Inner Circle to The Hague

dictated, but not read, by igor girkin

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I know a lot of folks around the forums like to seize on any and every opportunity to proclaim America a failed state. A lot of it does represent real, profound social ills in desperate need of redress, but reading about the insanity Russians have to suffer through highlights just how loving rotten a country can get without "failing".

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

I know a lot of folks around the forums like to seize on any and every opportunity to proclaim America a failed state. A lot of it does represent real, profound social ills in desperate need of redress, but reading about the insanity Russians have to suffer through highlights just how loving rotten a country can get without "failing".

It’s profoundly remarkable how absolutely meaningless the average Russian is to anyone in power of any sort. And sort of crazier is even how well the average Russian just accepts it.

I recently saw news of how injured Russian soldiers who get to hospitals get abused in them and their last bit of money squeezed out of them. A video taken discreetly of a double amputee Russian soldier getting beaten by the nurse who demanded he send his paycheck to her, and she tosses his food, which I presume to be some sort of gruel, to the floor. And then a series of text messages of that soldier or someone else in there texting his wife ”please come get me” and the wife saying how she will try to find a car to borrow to come as quickly as possible and the soldier just details how he’s getting abused and he ends it with a soul crushing ”you know how it is here”.

Who do you complain to? Who would care?

It’s just the way it is, after all.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I complain about how disengaged Canadians/insert western country citizens are from political issues, but I truly cannot understand the relationship between the Russian people and the Russian state.

Things must have been catastrophically hosed in 1918 to move that needle.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Generation Internet posted:

Things must have been catastrophically hosed in 1918 to move that needle.

Not really, the monarchy just pissed off the army badly enough that they joined regular bread riots and things got out of hand.

It's why both the Soviets and modern Russian leadership spend so much on spying on the military and suppressing/purging anyone who seems too competent.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was gonna say - things were far worse under Stalin, but he just murdered everyone instead of attempting to negotiate.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
It's dangerous and morally corrosive to let a society like that exist, every time I think too hard about it I just want the whole mess gone.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

slurm posted:

It's dangerous and morally corrosive to let a society like that exist, every time I think too hard about it I just want the whole mess gone.

:yikes:

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

slurm posted:

- General Thomas S. Power, probably

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The answer, if both historical precedent and common sense are to be trusted, is to form some sort of "collective action" or "union" with your fellow disaffected war buddies. Preferably an ideal time is when they're handing out heavy weapons to anyone who can breathe.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

The answer, if both historical precedent and common sense are to be trusted, is to form some sort of "collective action" or "union" with your fellow disaffected war buddies. Preferably an ideal time is when they're handing out heavy weapons to anyone who can breathe.

The only problem is any Russian general who was too popular or has realized how raw of a deal the Russian people were getting, has had a tragic window accident, or took a bath inside of a duffel bag, or were cleaning their loaded sidearm when they accidentally shot themselves twice in the base of the skull from behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't put much stock in the general staff of our high functioning shitshow of a military, why would the russians at all care about the administrative authority of whatever general they are nebulously assigned too.

You have the big sticks, be your own general. Its how it worked for thousands of years. Just find some charismatic guy on russian mil tiktok who doesn't seem to want to get you killed