Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Breaking Bad and The Wire are also hilarious sometimes. Having some sort of levity is just standard drama writing.

I've only seen the first two seasons of Breaking Bad but the contrast between the silly moments and the serious moments honestly makes me like the show less. The DEA agent will randomly switch between keystone cop, super racist, or crippling PTSD at the drop of the hat. Walt will randomly switch between being the dad from Malcolm in the Middle and relentlessly berating Jesse for several minutes straight or just watching someone choke to death on their own vomit. Even Skyler is just kind of randomly cruel to somebody for no apparent reason every few episodes to keep her from being too sympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Skyler has the problem that she is supposedly the moral high ground character, but there isn't much to her character beyond that and she isn't even doing a good job of actually being that moral of a character. People blame sexism for people disliking her, but there isn't anything to like in the first place and its the fault of the writers.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Vandar posted:

This brings us to 2013, and the Megatokyo Kickstarter.

Somehow, Fred had the bright idea to create a Megatokyo visual novel, and decided to use Kickstarter to fund it. It was going to be based on the first couple chapters of the comic, so most of the early work was already done for him. Should have be a fairly easy thing to make. That being said, the fans he still had at that point should have been smart enough to realize that Fred would NEVER going to finish a project like this. The Kickstarter should have died on the vine because the fans should have been smarter than that.

But, well...

That's an average of sixty bucks per backer. You people should have been smarter than that. :negative:

As you've probably guessed by now, the visual novel never got finished. In fact, Fred has shown no progress or work from it at all, just a bare minimum of concept art on the game's website. The last update to the Kickstarter was in 2017. Fred stopped posting on the once-bustling forums a long, long time ago, and there's a single sad mod there whose job it is to tell people that the visual novel is still being worked on, Fred is going through a lot in his life, and it'll come eventually. At one point a ton of people were on the forums complaining about the visual novel's progress, but now most of them have given up and have stopped asking for updates or even refunds.

It's obvious at this point that it's not happening, and it should serve as a lesson on why you shouldn't back or support projects from creators that you know are lazy and have a bad habit of not finishing projects once they've started them.

A couple of fun notes to wrap this up:

-There was a total of SIX updates to the comic itself in 2022!

-Fred has a Patreon where 473 patrons give him almost two thousand dollars a month! The first subscriber goal on his Patreon?

I hope those subscribers are happy with their donations.

what is it with mediocre webcomic artists somehow amassing these huge followings? For as blah as things like Questionable Content are, at least Jeph sticks to a consistent update schedule, and has for most of the comic run. Aaron Diaz and others somehow get thousands of dollars a month to do gently caress all but be smug on social media

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aces High posted:

what is it with mediocre webcomic artists somehow amassing these huge followings? For as blah as things like Questionable Content are, at least Jeph sticks to a consistent update schedule, and has for most of the comic run. Aaron Diaz and others somehow get thousands of dollars a month to do gently caress all but be smug on social media

He cornered the weebs with a blatant self insert fantasy in almost manga style. It's hard to overstate just how low the bar was and how powerful inertia is.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Thanks for that.

But THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS! Holy poo poo, did not know about that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MokBa posted:

All this talk of Megatokyo and no mention that it has turned into a completely pro-republican, anti-trans comic that could be written by Scott Adams himself. Just the most heinous poo poo imaginable put to the page.

That's actually disappointing. For all I make fun of his lazy weebness, I honestly expected more of him than that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MokBa posted:

All this talk of Megatokyo and no mention that it has turned into a completely pro-republican, anti-trans comic that could be written by Scott Adams himself. Just the most heinous poo poo imaginable put to the page.

are you thinking of sinfest? i never read megatokyo but i cant find anything on google about this. all i got was one of the author talking about being annoyed by republicans.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest sinfest comic is this where i think the joke is meant to be that 'oh these leftists they call anyone nazis they're brainwashed' but it just comes across correct

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Aces High posted:

Megatokyo hit the internet and began building its fanbase at JUST the perfect time in history for it to gather a dedicated fanbase. Online fandom was just becoming a thing and anime/manga in the west was starting to build up a ton of popularity thanks to things like Toonami, and you had a lot of people getting into it at the absolute best possible. Making an manga-styled comic with two self-insert leads that was about ANIME and GAMING and AW SHUCKS TOKYO IS SUCH AN AMAZING WONDERLAND was basically easy mode to building a fanbase, and to his credit he did manage to keep a decently consistent schedule for several years before falling off completely.

Endorph posted:

are you thinking of sinfest? i never read megatokyo but i cant find anything on google about this. all i got was one of the author talking about being annoyed by republicans.

Now that you mention it, that probably is what they're referring to.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks for that.

But THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS! Holy poo poo, did not know about that.

It still completely baffles me that the Kickstarter made that much.

Like, if you were enough of a fan to donate any amount of money to it, then you KNOW how bad Fred is about deadlines and completing projects and getting anything done. Why would you donate anything at all to the project, knowing what you know about him?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

pentyne posted:

This is definitely an area where Boardwalk Empire botched it, just non stop unrelenting misery.

It's the only lrestige series i've watched and enjoyed personally

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
9/11 still hasn't happened yet in Megatokyo, right? Like they're still in early 2001 in the comic? Or even still in late 2000, I forget.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

9/11 still hasn't happened yet in Megatokyo, right? Like they're still in early 2001 in the comic? Or even still in late 2000, I forget.

They’ve been in Japan for less than a year but at the same time Metal Gear Solid 4 has already came out so…

Fred gave up trying to have the timeframe make any sense a long time ago.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

as mentioned, you can't really blame people for initially being disappointed with WW. even if you preferred the artstyle over the 2000 spaceworld demo/twilight princess, nintendo built up expectations and to pull a 180 out of the blue was going to result in some level of backlash.

though i do find it amusing in retrospect. i absolutely loathed wind waker for the longest time, up until the point that i finally played it and not only did it actually look quite pleasing, but the game wound up being the most enjoyable zelda for me since ocarina of time

Aces High posted:

you could probably argue that they weren't as awful as megatokyo, but the penny arcade guys made literally MILLIONS off their mediocre rear end comics :suicide:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mr Interweb posted:

as mentioned, you can't really blame people for initially being disappointed with WW.

i was like 8 when it came out and even i knew that it looked awesome

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There are complaints you can make about Wind Waker, like how they pretty obvious cut two dungeons out of the game and implemented the tedious Triforce hunt, but the graphics absolutely hold up. There was a remaster but even the original game looks incredible to this day. And for all the guff it got for not being the Spaceworld demo, it's probably the most mature Zelda in terms of storytelling, the only one to make Ganon a compelling character, and the final scene with him is still probably the most violent act that's occurred in the series.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Endorph posted:

Vandar posted:

Now that you mention it, that probably is what they're referring to.
The best part about this is that I'm not sure which artist would be more upset (based strictly on art and not touching the politics) about being confused for the other.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Endorph posted:

Oh you are right! I am always mixing these two up. Sorry to slander the good name of Megatokyo with heinous accusations. I’m not sure where the confusion came in.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm disappointed that there's been all this talk of Wind Waker and not one person has called it 'Celda' yet. :v:

Mr Interweb posted:

you could probably argue that they weren't as awful as megatokyo, but the penny arcade guys made literally MILLIONS off their mediocre rear end comics :suicide:

The Penny Arcade guys have at the very least tried to give back over their career with things like the Child's Play charity and tried to highlight other artists with things like Strip Search. They've made millions but at least they've tried to funnel some of it back toward good things.

MokBa posted:

Oh you are right! I am always mixing these two up. Sorry to slander the good name of Megatokyo with heinous accusations. I’m not sure where the confusion came in.

Terrible comics with vaguely anime aesthetics. I can see how the mix-up happened.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I went to look up Sinfest out of morbid curiosity (wanting to see how much worse it's got since the last time I've looked) and the newest comic features Pepe.

Goddamn I hate that stupid frog and I want to smack anyone who says 'IT'S BEEN RECLAIMED' right in the back of their head.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

How’s Cyanide and Happiness doing? I still look for old ones every now and again, but there were so drat many that there had to be a few misses over the years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Skyler has the problem that she is supposedly the moral high ground character, but there isn't much to her character beyond that and she isn't even doing a good job of actually being that moral of a character. People blame sexism for people disliking her, but there isn't anything to like in the first place and its the fault of the writers.

I think the biggest problem with the character is that for a good chunk of the series she is off doing her own storylines that are unconnected to the larger goings on and that can be kind of boring.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

as mentioned, you can't really blame people for initially being disappointed with WW.

I can and I do.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think one of the issues with Wind Waker is that it didn't really look good in the low-quality screenshots/video of the era it was released.

It falls under the same banner as like, Batman & Robin where it arrived at the exact wrong moment when a new medium of expression-- large-scale internet forums-- was finally big enough to get recognized by the media industry and no one predicted just how garbage pretentious, pampered suburban boys -- myself among them -- would get about art that they deemed precious and overidentified with. Not a coincidence that 15 years after all that we suddenly had a bunch of mature Nazis literally weaponizing that same tendency for political aims (and succeeding wildly!).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Icon Of Sin posted:

How’s Cyanide and Happiness doing? I still look for old ones every now and again, but there were so drat many that there had to be a few misses over the years.

Crude and juvenile, but remarkably non-lovely as far as I can tell.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

IShallRiseAgain posted:

This is correct. On my fairly recent rewatch I paid more attention to her than any other character, specifically to make sure my distaste for her wasn't sexism. She's written really unsympathetically from the first episode, I guess to make her switch to the dark side make sense later on.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

9/11 happened in Megatokyo world, because there was a whole single-panel tribute comic of everyone sitting around a tv and crying at the news.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

the_steve posted:

9/11 happened in Megatokyo world, because there was a whole single-panel tribute comic of everyone sitting around a tv and crying at the news.

Two panels actually! :v:

https://megatokyo.com/strip/168

I just assumed it was out of canon myself.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

the_steve posted:

speaking of

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Vandar posted:

That is far, far more people than I expected to be in it and while I'm not going to enter it myself (no touching the poop, after all), I am genuinely curious how there are that many people in there and how they haven't all became fed up with Lowtax and left.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

pentyne posted:

speaking of

0. drat this art is bad.
1. Dr. Doom wouldn't care.
2. Kingpin might sort of care as a New Yorker.
3. At some points in his life Magneto might care, but in 2001 he was three years away from opening death camps for humans in Central Park.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Doom cries as he pleases

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Did any superheroish comics have the guts to just roll with how their villains would actually respond to this?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I started watching the 70s Britcom Robin's Nest and there's been a few casually racist remarks in just the first four episodes. Throwaway lines, but still.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did any superheroish comics have the guts to just roll with how their villains would actually respond to this?
Watchmen did, by dint of having one of the villains be the mastermind behind the terrorist attack

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Unless you meant literally 9/11 instead of any mass murder, in which case im not sure how many comics even actually reacted to it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mandatory lesbian posted:

Watchmen did, by dint of having one of the villains be the mastermind behind the terrorist attack

I'm talking about responding to 9/11, not a fictional attack made up for the comic from the late 80s.

Edit: This is a from few years after, but I just remembered that in The Boys the superhero team almost prevented 9/11 only to negligently reroute one of the hijacked planes to hit the Brooklyn Bridge instead of the Twin Towers.

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Jan 29, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rochallor posted:

0. drat this art is bad.
3. At some points in his life Magneto might care, but in 2001 he was three years away from opening death camps for humans in Central Park.

Malfunctioning Doombot

or

Sad he didn't think of doing that to the Baxter building

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Absurd Alhazred posted:

None that I can think of on the villain side. Ex Machina has the main character successfully saving one of the towers as part of his backstory, that's all I've got.

Honestly with all of the New York based villains there would have been some who felt bad about it! Like the Vulture or somebody was like, drat, man... Kingpin, whether he was personally moved or not, definitely wore one of those pins lost past the point where it was fashionable.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rochallor posted:

0. drat this art is bad.

Don't forget that Juggernaut is standing there right behind Doom and, in universe, he personally destroyed one of the Twin Towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mister Kingdom posted:

I started watching the 70s Britcom Robin's Nest and there's been a few casually racist remarks in just the first four episodes. Throwaway lines, but still.

Well if it's racism you're looking for, British shows from the 70s are the loving motherlode.

No matter how bad you think they are - they're worse.