Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've seen it happen in videos but haven't had it happen to me.
Gamma is pretty amazing. I'm getting into the midgame now probably, time to advance my kit a little and go after the miracle machine and scorcher.
I'm gonna poop my pants down there aren't I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Drag along some NPC friends with decent armour and give them automatic shotguns and you'll be fine.

They're by far the best investment for the hardest difficulty on gamma so far.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
At least in GAMMA, I observed some weirdness with the NPC pathing in the Miracle Machine interior. The NPC that was attached to me stopped following me pretty early on in the level--essentially like he hit an invisible wall--and no amount of playing around with it compelled him to follow me further.

Perhaps your experience will be different, but just wanted to warn you that you may have issues if you're counting on NPCs following you to the bitter end.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Is there any sort of mod where you can apply grout to bathroom tiling or anything. Really lame that's there's no C.A.U.L.K.E.R. yet.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Is there any sort of mod where you can apply grout to bathroom tiling or anything. Really lame that's there's no C.A.U.L.K.E.R. yet.

There's a mod where you help develop a polio vaccine.

SALKER

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

At least in GAMMA, I observed some weirdness with the NPC pathing in the Miracle Machine interior. The NPC that was attached to me stopped following me pretty early on in the level--essentially like he hit an invisible wall--and no amount of playing around with it compelled him to follow me further.

Perhaps your experience will be different, but just wanted to warn you that you may have issues if you're counting on NPCs following you to the bitter end.

Happened to me too.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Rynoto posted:

Drag along some NPC friends with decent armour and give them automatic shotguns and you'll be fine.

They're by far the best investment for the hardest difficulty on gamma so far.

I'd like at some point to be able to equip companions the same way I can equip myself, as in an identical inventory UI with primary/secondary weapons, backpack slot, outfit slot, etc.

At the moment, one of the GAMMA mods lets me access companion inventory and another mod will allow a companion's appearance to change based on any outfit I give them, but it's not quite the same. The carrying capacity doesn't change according to any equipped outfit (which sucks when 20kg of their 30kg limit is taken up by said outfit), nor does their level of protection. There's yet another mod that kind of allows backpacks and outfits to affect carrying capacity, but it's not perfect and I'd enjoy it more if everything was possible using the current inventory UI.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

There was a thing where the stalker 2 devs were talking about being interested in some of the mods like the health and mag system but i imagine it will be very similar to CoP--maybe a little more complex but no where near anomaly. They openly stated they all play/played the big mods so hopefully that influences them because some of the mod stuff is amazing.

Like zone cooking would be amazing if they expanded it, add in some local gardens with mutant veggies so you can pause in your intense gun fight to grab an anomalous apple. In the books and some fan made lore they talk about how the zone changes you at a molecular level so theres a ton of stalkers who don't use artifacts or eat anything in there so that'd be fun if they doubled down on that. A fun scale system where you could embrace the zone or reject it and rely on technology and outside food.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Okay does GAMMA give a 'bonus' to friendly fire or am I some accidental FPS god, able to unerringly hit an ally in the eye with the single round I accidentally fire in their vague direction in a frantic battle.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think it's the other way around - I have seen companions survive bullshit that no other stalkers could take, soloing pseudogiants at point blank range and the like, but I think they take normal damage from the player's bullets. So it's not that you do more damage to them, but rather you are the only thing that doesn't do less.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Theres a mod that affects that and idk what gammas default is but you can set player damage to friendly and important NPC's so they might normally be mitigating a ton but take 200% from player damage. Also be aware CoP added ricochets into the game and bullets will travel unless they hit a flat object. This is why tuskanos are a loving menace and can decimate entire groups of AI stalkers who wildly spray at them killing their friends.

Beware exo stalkers with LMG's they will obliterate you because their bullets are bouncing straight into your unarmored legs. Had quite a few save scums because the duty guards tried to kill a running dog and sprayed a PKM into my legs.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah that's why I'm confused. Maybe the "buff" is reducing the cost of the other round then? It doesn't seem like the prices are especially hosed right now.

I just realized that a lot of these WIP changes (and more) are actually available on Grok's GitHub. I'm not familiar with actually using GitHub, but I assume data highlighted in red is...old? And data highlighted in green is new (i.e. changes)? Or perhaps it's more complex than that?

So for instance, in this example, Grok is lowering the cost and increasing the value of "k_hit" for 23mm Shrapnel rounds, and significantly increasing the value of 23mm Barrikada "k_hit" but very slightly lowering its AP value as well? Am I reading this right?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 28, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just realized that a lot of these WIP changes (and more) are actually available on Grok's GitHub. I'm not familiar with actually using GitHub, but I assume data highlighted in red is...old? And data highlighted in green is new (i.e. changes)? Or perhaps it's more complex than that?

It's that simple, yes. In that example lines 2, 3, 10, 11, and 17 in red are all the old entries and the green entries are the ones replacing them. The farthest left column of numbers is the old file while the column next to it on the right is the new file.

You've read it all correctly.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 28, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rynoto posted:

It's that simple, yes. In that example lines 2, 3, 10, 11, and 17 in red are all the old entries and the green entries are the ones replacing them. The farthest left column of numbers is the old file while the column next to it on the right is the new file.

Nice, thanks for confirming. Gonna poke through Grok's stuff and see what else he's been working on then!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Got fed up and finally found my battery artifact to create my self charging power pack for the exo and now i'm running around with 91% ballistic resist and enough automatic fire to wipe the floor with a large amount of stalkers. I think in EFP math i'm at level V ballistics so anything short of AP ammo fired out of powerful guns tickles me. Some bandits already found out the hard way as they ambushed me with some SMG's and shotguns. I don't know when they changed it but i can carry a combat backpack with my exo now which means i'm rocking 2/7/7 for large/med/small mags which means if i wanted to i could carry a belt fed, a sniper rifle, and a SMG/pistol. The question is do i use the RPD or buy some 95 round drums for the 7.62x39 guns.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

After a few days off from the zone I’m back at it. I found a UMP but it only had the one magazine. Does anyone using magazines redux know if any traders sell UMP magazines?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

After a few days off from the zone I’m back at it. I found a UMP but it only had the one magazine. Does anyone using magazines redux know if any traders sell UMP magazines?

Man I've been using Mags Redux for a while now, but I actually don't know the answer to that because of how weird it is by default. Certain vendors seem to arbitrarily (and consistently) sell a small handful of certain magazines (like the guy at the farm in Cordon usually sells...FORT and/or PM(?) magazines; the Major in Rostok sells a few 20 Gauge shotgun magazines for some bizarre reason, and the guy at the flea market in Garbage sells 4 or 5 different types of magazines, etc.) It doesn't usually make a lot of sense.

Enabling "Mags Buyable at Traders" under "G.A.M.M.A. Fixes" in the Mod Organizer menu will make most vendors flush with tons of magazines...which sways a bit too heavily in the other direction for me personally. But maybe if you're not interested in the hunt for additional magazines, that might help (if you haven't already considered it)?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Visited the Truck Cemetery for the first time, at night too, and man that place is off putting. Not in a bad mind you, it just legitimately creepy as hell moving between row after row of trucks/cars/APCs with no good sight lines, but you can still hear mutants and anomalies in distant, where bloodsuckers and other of the sneaky mutants could be lurking just around the next corner. Really well put together, I wonder why it got cut in the original games?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Back Hack posted:

Visited the Truck Cemetery for the first time, at night too, and man that place is off putting. Not in a bad mind you, it just legitimately creepy as hell moving between row after row of trucks/cars/APCs with no good sight lines, but you can still hear mutants and anomalies in distant, where bloodsuckers and other of the sneaky mutants could be lurking just around the next corner. Really well put together, I wonder why it got cut in the original games?

I like that map too. Pretty good ambience. Wish there was more to do in it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man I've been using Mags Redux for a while now, but I actually don't know the answer to that because of how weird it is by default. Certain vendors seem to arbitrarily (and consistently) sell a small handful of certain magazines (like the guy at the farm in Cordon usually sells...FORT and/or PM(?) magazines; the Major in Rostok sells a few 20 Gauge shotgun magazines for some bizarre reason, and the guy at the flea market in Garbage sells 4 or 5 different types of magazines, etc.) It doesn't usually make a lot of sense.

I think the vendors sell mags for the guns they'd sell if not for Gamma's "Traders don't sell guns" thing, but I'm not sure.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think the vendors sell mags for the guns they'd sell if not for Gamma's "Traders don't sell guns" thing, but I'm not sure.

That's an interesting theory. The only thing that throws me off is that (while I can't think of any off the top of my head) I want to say I've encountered vendors who would have almost certainly sold weapons originally, but sell zero magazines now. It's very strange.

Back Hack posted:

Node posted:

I like that map too. Pretty good ambience. Wish there was more to do in it.

I agree that the Truck Cemetery can be a great map: sprawling and dramatic and lonely but, unlike the Darkscape, it's not boring as hell to navigate and I'll actually accept missions that take me there.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I also really like the Truck Cemetery and will also echo the sentiment that it creeps me the gently caress out. I believe it was cut at the same time as Darkscape, as there was no longer a need for Darkscape's connective tissue if that setpiece was getting removed. A shame.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Is there a way I can adjust the weight of my character model so my companions aren't forever shoving me into anomalies, pushing me out from behind cover or making it impossible for me to use a doorway?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I rebind my companion wheel to a handy mouse side button so I can easily tell my companions to hold position before trawling through an anomaly or entering a building. Too many times have I been bullied into a corner in Sidorovich's bunker :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, these arena fights are real bullshit in Gamma, especially with the mag system. Love to be dropped into a fight with my mags not set to my loadout and the grenade launcher unloaded. :argh:

[edit] fight after that was 2 grenades and a knife vs an exosuit with an AR, lovely.

And the final fight is a "free for all" in supposedly identical exosuits (mine is definitely different) where everyone just tries to kill me. :mad: Yeah I'll pass for now...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 29, 2023

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

moot the hopple posted:

I rebind my companion wheel to a handy mouse side button so I can easily tell my companions to hold position before trawling through an anomaly or entering a building. Too many times have I been bullied into a corner in Sidorovich's bunker :negative:

I've lost count the number of times my brain has turned to internally screeching "DOOR STUCK DOOR STUCK" trying to leave Sid's bunker.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I quickly learned not to load into the ecologist bunker cause they reset to "follow" on load even if they were told to hold position when you saved. Getting bodyblocked in there is the worst.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I wonder if you could mod in TF2-style teammate "walk-through" for companions.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I, too, bind Companion Wheel to one of my extra mouse buttons, along with fast grenade, ammo check, flashlight, and next firing mode. The fast grenade in particular was important because I often throw grenades while leaning out from behind cover, and I found it almost impossible to move and/or lean AND throw the grenade effectively when it was previously bound to my keyboard.

They all laughed at me when I got a mouse with 15 buttons. They all laughed! But who's laughing now.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

manero posted:

I wonder if you could mod in TF2-style teammate "walk-through" for companions.

There's a keybind for teleporting companions, but I've not had success actually making it work. I assumed it was for making them get it is the way.

I've currently got a couple of quest missions with the Ecologists, but my faction (Clear Sky) had just decided to declare war on them. We're also at war with Freedom, which makes Yantar practically inaccessible. I should be able to harvest some good gear at least.

I'm still on the hunt for advanced powerplant recipes for crafting. Apparently they can be purchased from level 5 traders with the Mercenaries (also at war with) or Ecologists. I guess they're also only found in stashes?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fall Dog posted:

There's a keybind for teleporting companions, but I've not had success actually making it work. I assumed it was for making them get it is the way.

I've currently got a couple of quest missions with the Ecologists, but my faction (Clear Sky) had just decided to declare war on them. We're also at war with Freedom, which makes Yantar practically inaccessible. I should be able to harvest some good gear at least.

I'm still on the hunt for advanced powerplant recipes for crafting. Apparently they can be purchased from level 5 traders with the Mercenaries (also at war with) or Ecologists. I guess they're also only found in stashes?

I haven't figured out how to get that "teleport companion" key to work either.

Out of curiosity, how are you liking the dynamic faction relations so far? Does it feel broken? Do you feel like it's an overall positive experience for a playthrough where things might otherwise feel a bit too stagnant and predictable?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wow, these arena fights are real bullshit in Gamma, especially with the mag system. Love to be dropped into a fight with my mags not set to my loadout and the grenade launcher unloaded. :argh:

[edit] fight after that was 2 grenades and a knife vs an exosuit with an AR, lovely.

And the final fight is a "free for all" in supposedly identical exosuits (mine is definitely different) where everyone just tries to kill me. :mad: Yeah I'll pass for now...

I too found that they were bullshit and hated then with all mags unbound and unloaded etc until I figured out that you can manage your inventory and pull out your gun while the camera flies around during the intro. That last fight was a real bitch until I found out I could whip out the underbarrel and nuke them all as it flew by. It was cheesy but I was so done.

Fall Dog posted:

At least in GAMMA the ecologists sell them at max rank, in Yantar and Jupiter. Didn't know until I saw a loading screen tip about it. They randomly sell one of the three crafting recipes and it resets when their inventory resets, so you might need to try seven times to get the one you want.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The fun thing about truck cemetery is its loving spawn zones, they got a LoS system where they won't spawn enemies out of thin air so the game sees your position and determines whether the things spawning behind a hill or from behind some cover. It's a circle but i don't know how the one in TC is loving shaped because if you go to the second tower near the center of the map it will non stop spawn enemies within aggro range in that little corridor. Mutants can migrate between levels like stalkers and it'll just loving dump all the mutants to populate the zone in the same area.

It gets bad near dusk/dawn as the mutants pop swap and it'll spawn new ones in so if you're in that one loving area you'll face this near endless horde. I as in an exo and face tanked a chimera, multiple blood suckers, multiple packs of dogs, fleshes, boars, a controller, and near got finished off by slow moving zombies when i ran outta mags haha.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I haven't figured out how to get that "teleport companion" key to work either.

Out of curiosity, how are you liking the dynamic faction relations so far? Does it feel broken? Do you feel like it's an overall positive experience for a playthrough where things might otherwise feel a bit too stagnant and predictable?

It's not too bad. It kinda feels like it's a random system of number go up/down over time. In my game, Clear Sky is currently in an alliance with Duty, but I think the values are now starting to lower. I'm not sure if my actions are influencing it, because a lot of relationships souring seemed to happen just after I killed a ton of mercenaries and military.

I haven't done it with this playthrough, but I think you can also impact the relations between other factions by way of the disguise system.

I don't think it harms the game at all, and it'll force you to travel more if you're wanting to avoid hostile factions. I know Sidorovich can reset faction relations with the player and it doesn't look like personal reputation can drop below 0.

I might be in a bind if Duty and Clear Sky become hostile. All of my stuff is in a stash by the bar in Rostok...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't do it with magazines but I didn't find the arena too hard. It is bullshit in a couple of cases like the grenades vs exosuit fight but the fun kind of bullshit. Just took a couple of goes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I recently fixed up a USP 45 Tac with a silencer and I am rapidly becoming a convert to 45 Hydrashock over shotguns for anti-mutant work. Its getting to the point where I pull my pistol out in preference over the Remmington 870. Now I *really* want to get some magazines for that 45 UMP I got sitting in my stash. I also splurged and dropped a bunch of cash to get a conversion kit from Duty and now I'm rocking an AK-105 "Shakal" with an ACOG and canted RMR sight and I freaking love it.

I've also started experimenting with the artifact melter, anyone got any good advice for artifacts?

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't do it with magazines but I didn't find the arena too hard. It is bullshit in a couple of cases like the grenades vs exosuit fight but the fun kind of bullshit. Just took a couple of goes.

The last fight with the exosuit "free for all" just wrecks me. They have ammo that can easily piece the exosuit I'm wearing (which I am almost certain is a worse model than theirs, despite the arena man's claims of uniformity) and not being able to sprint means repositioning is really hard when several of them start to box you in on multiple angles (and ofc, despite claims of being a free for all, they're all exclusively trying to kill me it seems).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 29, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The trick is that every fight is extremely lethal, so it is essentially the same fight each time, you have to do it without getting shot and you have to kill enemies very quickly, usually with headshots if possible. As you progress along you get more guys to fight and less (viable) ammo to do it with.

So yeah it's difficult, but I found that using sound to keep track of where they are and ambushing them around corners, and keeping moving so they don't have chance to converge on you, you can pull it off. I quite like them as fights honestly, bit different from the usual sniping people at extreme range that you try to do the rest of the game.

Exosuits will still go down to a couple of headshots with AP ammo so that's what you have to do. The arena is flat so you know where head level is going to be, and exosuits are quite loud so you can usually hear them coming. As long as you can react fast enough to get the first shot off you should be able to down one and then reposition.

Also I can't remember but I think the last fight gives you grenades, just fire those off liberally to kill as many of them as possible as soon as possible. You need this weird mix of aggression and caution, be proactive in movement and setting up firing positions but use caution to ensure that you are set up to take shots when they present themselves, so things like moving up to corners and then more slowly peeking round them to sweep a firing line that you anticipate having an enemy in it. If you are too passive they will gang up on you and kill you, if you're too aggressive they'll shoot you before you can react.

It's hard to describe but I dunno, it just clicked pretty well for me. If you're having to bugger about with magazine setup though yeah that likely sucks.

If you're really having trouble with mobility you could take the exosuit off. Yeah you'll die really fast but you'll die really fast with it on as well, so if the mobility is more useful you can always dark souls it and run around in your underwear with the most lethal weapon you can find :v:

I think I did it with the suit on because the enemies generally still move slower than you when alerted because they do that cautious advance with the gun raised.

E: 45 hydrashock is very effective against mutants but also more expensive generally, so I still use buckshot a lot because I'm cheap. But yeah if money isn't an object then an SMG loaded with it will kill mutants as quickly as possible. .357 is pretty fun too in that it can one shot a lot of basic mutants and the .357 deagle sounds amazing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 29, 2023

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

1911 Colt Compact is my favorite mutant killer so far, small guns, BIG .357 rounds. Haven't found a mutant yet that doesn't go down in one or two hits...well, except maybe the pseudogiant.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 29, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Whats the best way to get to Zaton from Rostok? I'd rather not go through the red forest as I just remember that being a massive slog of nonstop mutants and monolith when I played base Anomaly a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Back Hack posted:

1911 Colt Compact is my favorite mutant killer so far, small guns, BIG .357 rounds. Haven't found a mutant yet that doesn't go down in one or two hits...well, except maybe the pseudogiant.

Is that the Coonan .357? Great pistol for mutants and soft targets for sure; pretty much the only thing I use .357 in nowadays.

Complete garbage on anything with modest armor (or better), I've found, though.