Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I've had good luck with my Samsung Color Laser but pretty sure its a rebranded HP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My HP laserjet that was supposed to be tossed 6+ years ago from an office that got a new one is at 150,000+ pages now. God speed little buddy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

azure has an unpublished quota for app service compute and this is the second year in a row that we've hit it while trying to scale up

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rick posted:

Brother printers feels like they are stuck in like 2004 but in the world of printers that's good.

They just work — no frills, but no bullshit. Toner runs out? $45 for a new one, with a prepaid shipping label to recycle the old one.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Apparently ssh is now a security vulnerability and they want to remove it as an option to connect to git.

Also it’s apparently forbidden to push commits with emails that are not @companyname so when I wanted to host a fork of a open source project I need to extend I have to option of bypassing this bullshit and losing history, rewriting the git history to only have allowed e-mail domains , or emailing itsec to get an exception.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

zokie posted:

Apparently ssh is now a security vulnerability and they want to remove it as an option to connect to git.

Also it’s apparently forbidden to push commits with emails that are not @companyname so when I wanted to host a fork of a open source project I need to extend I have to option of bypassing this bullshit and losing history, rewriting the git history to only have allowed e-mail domains , or emailing itsec to get an exception.

Time to find a new job :cripes:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

zokie posted:

Wait, outbound SSH is a security vulnerability? To github which requires keys? :psyduck:

gently caress it, just turn off the firewalls. That's the only way to be sure.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
"I just stepped out again, why don't you call me right before you leave the office?"

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

Wait, outbound SSH is a security vulnerability? To github which requires keys? :psyduck:

gently caress it, just turn off the firewalls. That's the only way to be sure.

No, no, just disconnect everything from the Internet.

In fact, power it off entirely and pulls the plugs. Then cut power to the building.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

dragonshardz posted:

In fact, power it off entirely and pulls the plugs. Then cut power to the building.

This brings a new meaning to the term "air gapped systems" :sun:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

dragonshardz posted:

Be sure to encase the servers in concrete as well while you are at it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ugh, cutting off SSH is stupid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is it ssh they're mad at or did some C-level read the wrong article and determine that "pubkey is a bad idea because if the keys ever got out we'd lose everything"?

Lycentia
Jul 30, 2009

It's the suit.

The Fool posted:

azure has an unpublished quota for app service compute and this is the second year in a row that we've hit it while trying to scale up

Does it fail out with an error that also reveals the quota amount?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

dragonshardz posted:

I mean, turning off the firewalls and not having a route that bypasses them would at least achieve the first part, but I like where Zil is going with this "concrete" idea.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Fool posted:

Isn’t that just for consumption that they don’t recommend for prod workloads

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Lycentia posted:

Does it fail out with an error that also reveals the quota amount?

Ahahaha no it doesn’t

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Isn’t that just for consumption that they don’t recommend for prod workloads

We use ASE's and there is a maximum number of asp's per subscription per region

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

xzzy posted:

Is it ssh they're mad at or did some C-level read the wrong article and determine that "pubkey is a bad idea because if the keys ever got out we'd lose everything"?

"I read an article that said a building was broken into when its 'locks' got 'picked'. I want you to prioritize eliminating all of these vulnerable 'locks' from our system immediately."

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
The supposed reason for removing ssh support from Axure DevOps is that the keys don’t expire and as such of someone gets a key and it doesn’t have a passcode they have permanent access.

The keys do expire after one year… And in what scenario where a key does get compromised do we not have much bigger problems? I mean if someone managed to exfiltrate mine they could absolutely also install a key logger or find some nice cookies to session highjack

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zil posted:

Be sure to encase the servers in concrete as well while you are at it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao and also :gonk:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The Fool posted:

We use ASE's and there is a maximum number of asp's per subscription per region

Only MS

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

dragonshardz posted:

They just work — no frills, but no bullshit. Toner runs out? $45 for a new one, with a prepaid shipping label to recycle the old one.

yep just checked the label on my HL-2140 and it's been soldiering away since 2007. I've printed and bound multiple hardcover books with it and only changed the toner once

I think it was under $100 new

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
We just had half the L2 team quit, and I found out one of them was getting paid $30k per year more than me for the same position.

Time to update the resume I think.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Question about the contract to hire talk on the last page!

hows the pay differential work out? What about negotiating the different rates?

From what I understand of C2h, its 'you're a 1099 until we hire you, then you get to be an actual w-2 employee'. With 1099, rule of thumb is to charge more to cover taxes, expenses and the like.

Am I fundamentally misunderstanding it, and the grift is more or less seeing who doesn't negotiate and take the lowball offer?

The reason i ask is the first thing that popped into my mind was 'a lot of this could be solved with a contract competion bonus in writing as part' Ie, no 'to hire', they pay'.

But, I thought i'd ask for more information. Like, how do you negotiate your c2h pay if you WERE in that position? Two different rates, or cross the bridge later?

Because it seems to me like part of the whole scam is just danging the 'to hire' pay and getting contractors to agree to lesser rates and pretending one figure fits both shoes.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I can say in our instance, we use a contacting house to get folks in the door. They're W2 through the third party, with an agreement to hire them (or not) in a certain period of time. Typically six months. That means we're budgeted for the contractor for that long, and will negotiate their salary and any bonuses when (if) they convert. If we want to convert them early, there's a buyout price in the contract with TPCH.

Third Party Contract House had them as W2 employees, pays them a percentage of what we pay TPCH, and offers lovely benefits (expensive health insurance, maybe a couple days PTO, unmatched 401k).

We've got long-term relationships with a couple of TPCH, and we'll typically reach out and say "Hey, we need two Linux people for an upgrade project" or "We've got space for a new .NET developer, who ya got?"

We rarely 1099 folks, at least in IT.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

TheParadigm posted:

Question about the contract to hire talk on the last page!

hows the pay differential work out? What about negotiating the different rates?

From what I understand of C2h, its 'you're a 1099 until we hire you, then you get to be an actual w-2 employee'. With 1099, rule of thumb is to charge more to cover taxes, expenses and the like.

Am I fundamentally misunderstanding it, and the grift is more or less seeing who doesn't negotiate and take the lowball offer?

The reason i ask is the first thing that popped into my mind was 'a lot of this could be solved with a contract competion bonus in writing as part' Ie, no 'to hire', they pay'.

But, I thought i'd ask for more information. Like, how do you negotiate your c2h pay if you WERE in that position? Two different rates, or cross the bridge later?

Because it seems to me like part of the whole scam is just danging the 'to hire' pay and getting contractors to agree to lesser rates and pretending one figure fits both shoes.

The one c2h position I had, I was technically the employee of a staffing company for 3 months and got a w-2 from them. I did get a higher hourly rate from them than the internal position supposedly due to the lack of any sort of benefits like pto or retirement, although I think I would have been eligible for health insurance if I had been there longer than that 3 months before converting. My company at the time had a blanket policy of only doing c2h for entry level positions, but I never saw anyone not be converted to full time after the 3 months. They eventually stopped doing it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bargearse posted:

We just had half the L2 team quit, and I found out one of them was getting paid $30k per year more than me for the same position.

Time to update the resume I think.

Why do companies still try to pull this poo poo in 2023? People actively and openly talk about their salary and will quickly find out the new guy is making more than the current employees and will quit. It happens constantly in corporate America and it’s maddening.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Because for a few months they're making a saving

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Until they lose clients because the one L2 who sticks around can’t keep up with the workload.

But hey, until then they save big bucks.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I can say in our instance, we use a contacting house to get folks in the door. They're W2 through the third party, with an agreement to hire them (or not) in a certain period of time. Typically six months. That means we're budgeted for the contractor for that long, and will negotiate their salary and any bonuses when (if) they convert. If we want to convert them early, there's a buyout price in the contract with TPCH.

Third Party Contract House had them as W2 employees, pays them a percentage of what we pay TPCH, and offers lovely benefits (expensive health insurance, maybe a couple days PTO, unmatched 401k).

We've got long-term relationships with a couple of TPCH, and we'll typically reach out and say "Hey, we need two Linux people for an upgrade project" or "We've got space for a new .NET developer, who ya got?"

We rarely 1099 folks, at least in IT.

That's how it worked for me. I was a W2 employee of the third party contract house, and got paid may more than the eventual position, and also was hourly. They charged some ungodly amount to the actual company, and contracted me out to them. The company liked me after 3 months, so I was "terminated" from the tpch and "hired" by the company. I'm sure money changed hands per their contract with each other.

If you're doing contracting on your own, rule of thumb is your rate = 3x going rate for the position. If it's 100k/year to hire a permanent person, you take that, divide it by the number of regular work hours in a year (2080), which is $48/hr, and then your contractor rate is $150/hr baseline, with a cap of whatever you can get away with.
The MSP I was with paid it's engineers between 85 and 110k, and billed them to clients at $165/hr, with minimum hours for on site call outs.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

Why do companies still try to pull this poo poo in 2023? People actively and openly talk about their salary and will quickly find out the new guy is making more than the current employees and will quit. It happens constantly in corporate America and it’s maddening.
Over here in Germany companies have managed to silence most talk about salaries as it is considered rude to talk about money. Nobody but really close friends talk about their salaries to me. The salaries of my coworkers are a big mystery to me and should I even dare to mention mine I get cut off with a "don't wanna know" like it's an evil curse.

One of my favorite stupid things in regards to that is when applying for a job. Some refuse to tell you how much you are gonna earn until they hand you the contract for signing during like the third appointment for interviews.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Happy Litterbox posted:

Over here in Germany companies have managed to silence most talk about salaries as it is considered rude to talk about money. Nobody but really close friends talk about their salaries to me. The salaries of my coworkers are a big mystery to me and should I even dare to mention mine I get cut off with a "don't wanna know" like it's an evil curse.

One of my favorite stupid things in regards to that is when applying for a job. Some refuse to tell you how much you are gonna earn until they hand you the contract for signing during like the third appointment for interviews.

While here in Norway, income is public knowledge since the tax records are public. Income, savings/fortune and how much people paid in taxes. Have to log in and people can see who have looked them up.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Happy Litterbox posted:

i work for a large german 3 letter company, a couple of years ago they were all like LOOK WE RELEASED A SALARY TRANSPARENCY TOOL. SEE WHAT YOU MAKE IN COMPARISON TO OTHERS.

but the tool only limited to my role and the country. I was not able to compare my salary to someone in europe or latam to see what those colleagues were making. just only my position.

Then they merged my job title with another title, and said they will bump everyone to the lower band if we were making less. I was 100 dollars over the lowest band of that job category. im so ready to move on.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Dunno-Lars posted:

While here in Norway, income is public knowledge since the tax records are public. Income, savings/fortune and how much people paid in taxes. Have to log in and people can see who have looked them up.

It's still very hard to tell what the salary is for any given job. Interviewers here usually open with "what do you want to get paid", and if you try to do the "Let's talk about it when we agree that we're a good fit" and not name a number first that the negotiation thread recommends, they look at you like you're from a different planet.

Still, read the negotiation thread. All of it. Then read it again. Then one more time. I went from a job making 577 000 NOK in 2021 to one where I might cross over into a million before taxes this year by reading the thread and just throwing out stuff I read there.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

evobatman posted:

It's still very hard to tell what the salary is for any given job. Interviewers here usually open with "what do you want to get paid", and if you try to do the "Let's talk about it when we agree that we're a good fit" and not name a number first that the negotiation thread recommends, they look at you like you're from a different planet.

Still, read the negotiation thread. All of it. Then read it again. Then one more time. I went from a job making 577 000 NOK in 2021 to one where I might cross over into a million before taxes this year by reading the thread and just throwing out stuff I read there.

Holy poo poo you must be loving ROLLING in i

oh :(

(I mean still congrats and everything)

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

You don’t need all the dollars when you live in a socialist paradise tho

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i am a moron posted:

You don’t need all the dollars when you live in a socialist paradise tho

good ol' petro-socialism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

do we put petro in front of capitalism or is that implied?