Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

On a side note, I'm playing the Witcher 3 again and the level scaling is so hosed. Why do the main quests give so much experience? You get to novigrad at the reccomended level 12 and by the time you're level 20 the reccomended main quest level is still 12. And sometimes you get a main quest off the back of another one that's at a lower level that the one you got it from. Then if you do even one side quest you just eclipse the main quest level. It's such a loving mess.
The most important thing they could have patched into this rerelease was a mode where xp rewards are proportional to doing any side quests at all.
I am really enjoying playing the Witcher again - Witcher 3 was the reason I bought a PS4 off hype alone, since then I've played the second and first on PC in that order, read 7 books and watched 2 seasons of a tv show. Lovely to come back to it.

The leveling in TW3 is so weird lol. you have some random rear end conversation in a main quest and get 900xp but then spend 45 minutes doing some side mission and it sometimes gives you like 2 xp. The whole thing is skewed towards keeping you leveled if you skip literally everything except the main story. Cyberpunk does the same thing. And none of it even matters that much because the game has such easy enemy attack patterns you can just do level 30 stuff at level 12 without many problems, but you wont actually be able to use anything you get from it.

CDPR makes really interesting world maps to explore and is really good at mission structure but they are just horrible at making balanced RPGs or compelling gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Horizon Clash of Clans

This is terrible looking and the exact opposite of what I would want from a Horizon multiplayer game. I mean ideally I wouldn't want a Horizon multiplayer game at all because why does it need one? But also that is just looks god awful. Keep the style and graphic fidelity of Forbidden West.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I said come in! posted:

This is terrible looking and the exact opposite of what I would want from a Horizon multiplayer game. I mean ideally I wouldn't want a Horizon multiplayer game at all because why does it need one? But also that is just looks god awful. Keep the style and graphic fidelity of Forbidden West.

Yeah this looks horrendous.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Glad I decided not to listen to the terminally online gamers about Forspoken because this game has been really fun.

Catte lovers unite!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe BP would like MCU movies after all……

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought the pre-alpha footage looked good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Maybe BP would like MCU movies after all……

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Y’all have convinced me to give it a shot eventually but it won’t be for a while, I can’t bring myself to spend 70 god damned pounds on it

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Another good game comes to Playstation.

Its not the best roguelike but it's often on sale for like two bucks so I'd definitely buy it when it hits that price.

https://youtu.be/qnNpuf3chqk

Interested in this but it doesn't appear to actually be on the store? Did they release the trailer too early or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Launch trailer' can mean anything from 'out now' to 'out next month'

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Finished DS and did a bit of NG+. Don't think I'll finish NG+.

I really liked some small, but tasteful changes they made to the narrative, especially at the end. They're really deft changes that shouldn't upset purists but improve things a lot.

NG+ is kind of boring though. There's not really a new difficulty level, nothing levels to match your upgraded gear. They sprinkle in some "phantom" enemies, but they're not even as tough as the late-game NG enemies, so not really a challenge. If you played through on hard the first time, there's no way to up the challenge. There's one challenge mode that's the standard hard difficulty except death deletes your save, but that kind of ironman stuff isn't to my tastes. There's also an easter egg hunt in NG+, but I'm not too into those.

Still, it's more than the original did with its NG+, so an improvement. Thinking about previous entries, I don't think the series player-base is one that really cares about extra difficulty runs. So a victory lap where you keep your toys was probably made the right choice for their demographic, if not me personally.

Anyway, think I'm done with it. I enjoyed it a lot, the refinement is super tasteful and the whole thing is gorgeous. Some Capcom-style challenge modes would have made it 10/10 for me, as it is it's still a very good 8 or 9 out of 10.

Mahershala Ali is going to be the new Blade. That's fantastic casting, but I can't see the MCU doing anything as cool or brutal as the Snipes movie.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Horizon Clash of Clans

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

'Launch trailer' can mean anything from 'out now' to 'out next month'

It says "now available" at the end of the trailer.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

If EA wants to copy Resident Evil's success formula, it looks like they have the right people to do it, but they should take a look at how Capcom has been staggering remakes and new entires. After playing DSR I would have total confidence in Motive just taking the torch and doing a whole new DS game, which I think would be more interesting than just moving to DS2 and trying to salvage DS3 or whatever.

I do really think the whole reason we got this remake was EA looking at what Capcom has been doing lately and I suspect they have bigger plans for Dead Space. Hopefully it sells well enough for it to happen and EA actually handles it well this time (lol good luck on that one)

Yeah, I think letting Motive do the Capcom thing and alternate a diverse set of Dead Space titles, new and remakes, would be cool. I'd especially be down for a full 1st person new entry/3rd person remake split.

EA has been kinda decent for a few years, I think? Battlefront was a shitshow, but since then they seem to have course corrected and have done a fair amount of solid games without MTX. Who knows how long that will last until leadership shifts and they start trying to milk every last cent, but at the moment they seem happy to ship fully complete titles.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lmao blade loving rules

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Blade and 2 rule. Mcu blade is very well casted but lmao @ pg13 blade with 30 tv show cameos for 2 hours. gently caress that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vikar Jerome posted:

Blade and 2 rule. Mcu blade is very well casted but lmao @ pg13 blade with 30 tv show cameos for 2 hours. gently caress that.

Is that what they're making

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They said it’ll be PG-13 yeah. lmao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Come on now it’s not like there’s a readily observed history of beloved 18/R-rated franchises getting PG reboots that absolutely suck, it might be ok!

:v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Escobarbarian posted:

They said it’ll be PG-13 yeah. lmao

:whitewater:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sounds like a stupid way to use the horror comic character. Idk why Disney don't just accept that some characters can just be in their own stuff and it will still make a lot of money.

E: and like you can put him in an avengers movie to fight the next wave of CGI gremlins or whatever

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

And the cameos can just be assumed because every new MCU character’s film is actually just an ad for three other characters’ films.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JBP posted:

Sounds like a stupid way to use the horror comic character. Idk why Disney don't just accept that some characters can just be in their own stuff and it will still make a lot of money.

Because that doesn’t also generate internet buzz and marketing clicks from a billion listicles about the 43 hidden in plain sight references to other franchises that you might have missed if you watched the movie with your eyes closed.

Every movie they connect to every other movie is just extra marketing for all those other movies.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Marketing Cynicism Universe

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

Because that doesn’t also generate internet buzz and marketing clicks from a billion listicles about the 43 hidden in plain sight references to other franchises that you might have missed if you watched the movie with your eyes closed.

Every movie they connect to every other movie is just extra marketing for all those other movies.

Yes I know. I'm saying I don't think this dedication to cross promo matters all that much considering the amount of property they own, and that some of those properties could be monetised alternatively.

The slavish dedication to the crossovers is weird considering there doesn't seem to be a unifying thread in the movies anymore.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because then they’d have to make them good on their own merits instead of just relying on people feeling that they have to watch every single one to make sure they don’t miss out

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ll admit it… I like the MCU and enjoy a good majority of the movies

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I dont and I refuse to watch any of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Bugblatter posted:

Mahershala Ali is going to be the new Blade. That's fantastic casting, but I can't see the MCU doing anything as cool or brutal as the Snipes movie.

There's very little chance it's not terrible. Stale rear end quips, weak stabs at pathos, hordes of CGI vampires, etc.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah new dead space is good. But I think maybe I played the first one too much because it feels like I'm just sort of going through the motions. I went out to big box stores twice to find it and it was sold out both times, so I ended up going digital. So I guess it's selling well, at least in my neck of the woods

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I’ll admit it… I like the MCU and enjoy a good majority of the movies

i used to, liked the whole build up to infinity but i cant tell if i'm either burnt out/lost interest/annoyed at the monopoly/need more sustenance or they really do just keep getting worse and worse

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Rental Sting posted:

There's very little chance it's not terrible. Stale rear end quips, weak stabs at pathos, hordes of CGI vampires, etc.

I strongly dislike the MCU’s very cynical treatment of cinema as a formulaic product, so even if the production was going well, I’d say it’s chances of being good are vanishingly small. But it’s going terribly. They’ve lost directors over a lack of creative freedom and Mahershala Ali has even been speaking negatively about the production process, soooo….

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 29, 2023

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Rental Sting posted:

Probably alien bug vampires to be safe

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The vampires will drink 'plasma' through weird hand suckers like the 90's Spider-Man cartoon.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Cactus posted:

I must be missing a trick then because something about the combat in that section completely throws me. I'm mostly using the axe because the chains don't seem to be as effective.

I also didn't like the elves until later in the game, they can be weird and make you feel like the combat is wonky or something.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

dead space is kinda boring

i bumped the difficulty down to "story" and that made it... still boring. but at least i know i can just run around clicking R3 until its finally over instead of abandoning it like every other game i stupidly waste $70 on bc of hype

deep breath

it feels to me like the main value props for playing a game like dead space are:

1. resource management
2. art direction/setting + atmosphere
3. jump scares

if you turn the difficulty basically off, you lose out on the first, and imo primary, value prop. you no longer need to "worry" about making sure you have enough ammo and actively managing your supply vs using stuff in the environment to supplement your ammo.

i feel like that's a big reason people enjoy resident evil? am i just basically describing survival horror overall? it doesn't feel like a very satisfying reason to play a game (to me).

mostly, jump scares are pretty cheap, but in a game like this i can see their effectiveness. it diminishes the impact of how scary the game feels overall if you turn down the difficulty. so, that just leaves the art direction, which is pretty cool. alien monsters in spooky space is a cool concept/setting. but it's repetitive and impossible to tell where you're going or intuit any sense of direction. thankfully the R3 button is there or it would be nearly unplayable (for someone like me).

idk. i dont get it. i think im depressed lol

Its probably just not your genre.
What did you like playing recently?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/billbil_kun/status/1619696832921366528

evil dead for my birthday? yes please.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh nice I’ll play olli olli world

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

dead space is kinda boring

i bumped the difficulty down to "story" and that made it... still boring. but at least i know i can just run around clicking R3 until its finally over instead of abandoning it like every other game i stupidly waste $70 on bc of hype

deep breath

it feels to me like the main value props for playing a game like dead space are:

1. resource management
2. art direction/setting + atmosphere
3. jump scares

if you turn the difficulty basically off, you lose out on the first, and imo primary, value prop. you no longer need to "worry" about making sure you have enough ammo and actively managing your supply vs using stuff in the environment to supplement your ammo.

i feel like that's a big reason people enjoy resident evil? am i just basically describing survival horror overall? it doesn't feel like a very satisfying reason to play a game (to me).

mostly, jump scares are pretty cheap, but in a game like this i can see their effectiveness. it diminishes the impact of how scary the game feels overall if you turn down the difficulty. so, that just leaves the art direction, which is pretty cool. alien monsters in spooky space is a cool concept/setting. but it's repetitive and impossible to tell where you're going or intuit any sense of direction. thankfully the R3 button is there or it would be nearly unplayable (for someone like me).

idk. i dont get it. i think im depressed lol

Is r3 the thing that tells you where to go? I don’t know I played a bit of the remake and it’s basically the same as the original if anything and I loved that game. It’s basically a horror themed Metroidvania with the shooting mechanics being really on point. Like imo better than RE4 thanks to its vibe.

I think you’re looking at the game somewhat weird because the main value prop of the game should be it’s gameplay and then it’s art direction.

Most action horror games aren’t super scary honestly (but even then this game has more scary vibes than most). A big reason people play Resident Evil is also because it is fun. If you’re not having fun with the game then you’re just not into it. Personally I feel like bumping the difficulty to story mode actually makes the game boring since there’s just no challenge. The dope part for me was always dismembering the enemies with your weapons/tools. And then stomping on them for getting resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

What's the current Destiny situation? Is DLC content now permanent, or will this be a digital paperweight in a few months?