Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Chapter 17 kicked my rear end on Hard, any tips? I think my mistake was splitting forces to the lower west and north. I plotted it out so that I could clear the starting area, but now I'm thinking I press north to rush Griss and take it from the middle? Mauvier and Marni carved my forces up

Yes, you really shouldn't split for this map because at some point the enemies will rush you and it becomes a huge problem if you're not grouped for it, especially since Mauvier loves to shove his Nosferatu up your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Supremezero posted:

... why would he. It's literally the one weapon type he DOESN'T have (that was in his game, looking at you daggers), if you count Thyrsus as a staff.

Though Emblem Byleth is a giant pile of nonsense anyway, I suppose. Virtually all the things he has are things he physically cannot do in 3 houses. Can't dance, can't use Relics besides Sword of the Creator, and gives Rafail Gem to the one sub class that has no effective weaknesses anyway (seriously why)

Anyone with a crest can use relics safely. You need to match them to use their arts/get the defensive effects, but Byleth can use Luin/Blutgang/Failnaught/Thyrsus/etc. just fine if you hand them to him. And technically, he can do a four person dance, there's a couple battalions that have that as their once-per-map gambit.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I restarted on chapter 15 to play with fixed growths as beside Alear everyone were pretty far below average on growths and Operation Anna 90% is going well. Throwing Tiki on her and reclassing to mage from level one has been pretty absurd. Axe Warrior Jean is also doing some work. Speedy characters with lots of build gets stupid very fast

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Chapter 17 kicked my rear end on Hard, any tips? I think my mistake was splitting forces to the lower west and north. I plotted it out so that I could clear the starting area, but now I'm thinking I press north to rush Griss and take it from the middle? Mauvier and Marni carved my forces up

Splitting up worked for me at the start, but I needed to reunite in the middle as soon as I took out Griss and Marni.

Griss is pretty stupid with Warp Ragnarok. If you have someone with a lot of Res you can park them at the very edge of his range without being in anyone else's. He'll warp right to them and then you can easily surround him and beat him up without pulling any other units.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
byleth's enlightened one class could use light magic, and only micaiah and celica have light magic tomes in engage but that still would have been less arbitrary than some of the other proficiencies that emblems can give

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
just started Celica prologue, immediate thoughts:
-that necrodragon died in one turn, you had a blessed sword and multiple units with seraphim, stop exaggerating the danger. you loving pasted that thing.
-the new remix of With Mila's Divine Protection rules

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
All this time, until I heard the voice acting say her name out loud, I had been reading Celica as 'Cecilia'. The scales have fallen from my eyes.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

mycatscrimes posted:

All this time, until I heard the voice acting say her name out loud, I had been reading Celica as 'Cecilia'. The scales have fallen from my eyes.

That's Roy's teacher

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Learning that the eng pronounces Yunaka as You-Naka is a decision

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
that's a pretty natural english pronunciation of a japanese name there?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Chapter 17 really feels like a 'Hey, you figure out how to use Ike yet?' check.

Ike in general is my sleeper pick for most underrated and powerful Ring. Great Aether is absolutely stupid good and you can just bait out massive clusters of enemies with it then full heal. Especially when you have moving bosses.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You don't even need to be a general to do it. Ike provides so much tankiness that much more mobile classes can pull it off

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Chapter 17 had my Etie with 11 Def facetank two boss packs with Ike and Great Aether. She wasn't even remotely close to dying either.

Its incredibly good.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

crossposting from megathread because i meant to post it here in the first place, whoops

Blaziken386 posted:

Im playing chapter 21 right now and why dont you get marni as a recruit. shes funny. great design. just as much of a complete lunatic freak as everyone else on the somniel. if i can adopt all of the dogs i see, why can i not adopt hounds as well.

edit: oh thats why

:saddowns:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If I level up to 5 in a promote for a skill and then change classes, does the skill stay or do you only get current class and inherited stuff?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

If I level up to 5 in a promote for a skill and then change classes, does the skill stay or do you only get current class and inherited stuff?

Only current class and inherited.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

nrook posted:

Did anybody manage to beat the Four Hounds in Chapter 11? It felt impractical but maybe not completely impossible (on Hard).

Super late response but I actually managed to do this out of sheer stubbornness, ended up spending all of my rewinds on it until I ran out and was ready to just finish the chapter, only to change my mind and finishing it without any of the rewinds left over.

In the end nothing actually happens, I also went ahead and checked if you can KO Veyle, but despite her having low enough stats to be hittable with some stronger units, she actually does not take any damage.
Looking at the screenshots I took, I didn't really take any, but the first one here was basically how I managed to beat most of the four hounds, and the second line was when I tried attacking Veyle. She doesn't quite one-shot everyone, only thing I didn't really check out was whether she has a line for Alear since she was parked on the exit just in case. If I did this with any remaining rewinds I'd have checked it out but I didn't want to take any risks in case Veyle decided to move.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t even want to imagine Lyn’s Paralogue on Maddening, good lord.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

goddammit this game is loving good. its good!! its playing to all of fire emblem's strengths!!!!!!!!! the gameplay is fun and satisfying, the characters are enjoyable, and the writing knows its dumb and campy, so it goes all in on dumb campiness with its whole sincere heart!!!!!!!!!

i cant believe alear is now an immortal zombie lich dragon, this rules, veyle rules, the music rules, this whole setup rules

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Chapter 21-22 was probably the worst showcase of the team's limits in non-fmv cutscenes. I really hope they learn to move past "Everyone stand in place and talk very close to each other."

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

How does Lucina's Dual Support skill work exactly? It says it increases Avo up to +90 depending on the user's support ranks with adjacent units, but is it like +10 Avo per support rank, and you need 3 adjacent units with A ranks each to reach the maximum?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

chapter 22 spoilers: So, Alear is the thirteenth emblem, huh? Does that mean she's awakened? :hurr:

also: hahahahaha i loving called it

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
On the subject of learning pronunciations, I always thought that Eirika must be pronounced Eye-reka because if you're just going to call her Erika then why not just spell it Erika?????

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What's the better promote for Luis, general to keep unbreakable or great knight so he's not 100% reliable on Sigurd for movement?

Are armors and generals the only unbreakable units by the way? And do you get any more of either? Luis has been mvp so far.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Are armors and generals the only unbreakable units by the way? And do you get any more of either? Luis has been mvp so far.

Jade is the other natural Armor knight, but units like Timido can easily be your 3rd armor knight (but her custom class gives huge def anyway and scales off def).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

armors and generals are the only unbroken units. You get an additional armor knight in chapter 9, she uses axes instead of lances. She has less defense than louis but more res.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man this Oasis map was rough. The previous desert map was a nice breather after the chapters 10/11 combo so I figured it'd also be pretty relaxed but no, there's a bunch of promoted enemies that will ambush and oneshot units and brave axe bandit is stronger than most emblems.

Thank goodness for Chain Guard.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Avalerion posted:

What's the better promote for Luis, general to keep unbreakable or great knight so he's not 100% reliable on Sigurd for movement?

Both are good and have their pros and cons. You can get around GK's drawbacks (being breakable) with more careful positioning sometimes, or you can also just slap Ike on him and not care much about that. You can also get around General's low Mov by using Warp. That said General's low Spd is a harder bump to get over, and stronger enemies who double him may actually start doing some real damage, so I personally lean towards GK.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
For as hard as chapter 17 was, I just did a skirmish on that map and it wasn't that bad relative to other skirmishes. The map is so big that enemies are forced to trickle in in manageable groups rather than arriving all at once.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
And the game is over. Final map was honestly kind of a let down compared to the usual fanfare the last chapter of a Fire Emblem game gets, particularly the first phase where I was able to through some emblem shenanigans rush down Sombron on the first turn before the enemies even got to move.

The main story writing was really bad, like Awakening levels of me being totally disengaged, however during the fourth scene in which a character dramatically dies and is cradled in another's arms as the music swells, something broke in me and I just started laughing along with the story from then on. I wish the game took itself a bit less seriously instead of thinking it was some epic sweeping narrative, but what can you do.

The actual gameplay and design is phenomenal, legitimately the best fire emblem game to actually play since Radiant Dawn. I plan to take a bit of a break and then come back and try a maddening run. I sort of have a theory in my head of how to do it and it involves a lot of generals, heroes, and staff users.

My subjective Top 5 units:
1. Louis aka Louis the Great aka Sundowner. Motherfucker ended the game with 49 DEF and enough RES that he could actually tank a mage or two without melting. Paired with Sigurd for most of the run he just absolutely busted the game wide open. My most consistent individual map MVP by a considerable margin.
2. Yunaka I put Hiya Papaya on a wolf halfway through the game and she legitimately threatened Louis for overall MVP thanks to her constant ability to delete anybody anywhere. Only thing that held her back was that she always remained kinda squishy and had an annoying habit of constantly getting hit with ~30% odds.
3. Lapis reclassed her from SM to Hero and she proved a constant offensive force with surprising survivability. I was originally just using her to spite the game for dropping Diamant into my lap with better stats in everything the chapter after she appeared, but she actually ended up a legitimate core contributor.
4. Ivy Turns out flying + tomes + staves is really good, particularly when you give Ivy canter. Flying in from downtown, dropping a Thoron, and flying back out of range became Ivy's mainstay and it ruled.
5. Timerra I was debating dropping Timerra for quite a while but eventually the DEF/DEX gains piled up and she became the second sturdiest unit in the army aside from Louis with a ~30% chance to proc sandstorm and OHKO whatever she was fighting. Basically like having Nephenee with lethality. She came online a little too late though and really only got to shine for a couple chapters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yunaka hiding in some bushes is more powerful than a million men.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Just did Micaiah's paralogue and had Timerra use Great Aether on turn 1 against all the Great Knights in the southeast, with Ike's hammer. Quadruple kill :madmax:

EDIT: Also I just did some Bond Rings because I have a billion fragments and pulled Lilina S, which gives +20% damage if you use a tome from the Fire line. I've already done some shenanigans to turn Celine into a Bolganone goddess without taking any weight penalties, so :getin:

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 29, 2023

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I don't think I've seen anyone mention him at all in this thread but Brunet is a favourite of mine. His crit line "I will roast you!" always puts a smile on my face.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Celine's supports seems to come in one of two varieties (spoilers I guess):

C-Rank: I do so love tea.
B-Rank: I have been informed that the supply of tea leaves is being threatened by highwaymen.
A-Rank: -wiping blood off sword- The tea supply channel issue has been resolved. Permanently.

OR

B-Rank: Drinking it is very soothing.
A-Rank: It helps relieve the stress I feel over my brother's ill health and all the governmental responsibilities I've taken on due to that.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Celine's supports seems to come in one of two varieties (spoilers I guess):

B-Rank: I have been informed that the supply of tea leaves is being threatened by highwaymen.
A-Rank: -wiping blood off sword- The tea supply channel issue has been resolved. Permanently.

John Celine: The bandits have been compromised to a permanent end.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How do I make the other characters talk to each other when they get a support rank? I get the little icon but don't know what to do with it.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

JBP posted:

How do I make the other characters talk to each other when they get a support rank? I get the little icon but don't know what to do with it.

In the somniel go to menu, then Reference -> Support

rabbitmonger
Jan 16, 2008

AAAUGH
I put Tiki on Framme as soon as I got her and now she is literally One-Punch Framme

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Too bad Tiki is such pay2win. I would love a way to get more SP points early so that you don't just curbstomp the rest of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I also enjoy the three flavors of ending slides you get, depending on who you paired Alear with.

Yunaka: We dunno how old she is, so let's just say she became Alear's life partner and let you decide whether it's romantic or platonic. She also became your personal Hubert but goofy, which is the best possible scenario regardless.
Everyone else: Lived their best life, ensured peace and prosperity for eons to come as royals or as retainers, buried all the hatchets, and became famous, or died or retired peacefully if they were older than thirty, all the usual Fire Emblem tropes.
Alfred and only Alfred: Died painfully of anime degenerative disease shortly after being crowned, records indicate he was much beloved during his short reign.