Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lol owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i was so, so mad the wings missed out on the lafreniere pick

lol

also how have i never seen this:
https://twitter.com/mikecommito/status/1619372731283251205?s=20
man the nhl was wild

clean ayers act fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 28, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arivia posted:

Toronto wants it - if we went back to the original six our chances of winning a cup go WAY up.

*furiously computes odds of Leafs beating Rangers and Bruins losing to Red Wings* ah, well, about that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

This is the best video I've ever seen holy poo poo

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
We shall see but Chytils problem is that he gets injured a lot and IMO that’s going to impact how much salary he’ll command from any team and also why the rangers couldn’t rely on him to step into the 2C spot

And I’ve posted about it before but the rangers top picks have been put into situations just wildly different than almost any other recent top picks. Laf needs to get his head on straight now but these guys have spent most of their NHL time developing with 3rd line minutes and minimal PP time and often playing with role players and grinders. If Gallant will finally commit to them getting important EV minutes and leaning on then as a scoring line and not treating them as the “kid line” he can’t trust, then great, they’ll likely continue to improve and put up good EV numbers. But without significant PP time they’ll never put up numbers we’d expect from top picks

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1619411024272310272?t=3eA2X5lxIn0ZaQ1PrYwb8w&s=19

Hi, what's a Lane Pederson?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

We shall see but Chytils problem is that he gets injured a lot and IMO that’s going to impact how much salary he’ll command from any team and also why the rangers couldn’t rely on him to step into the 2C spot

And I’ve posted about it before but the rangers top picks have been put into situations just wildly different than almost any other recent top picks. Laf needs to get his head on straight now but these guys have spent most of their NHL time developing with 3rd line minutes and minimal PP time and often playing with role players and grinders. If Gallant will finally commit to them getting important EV minutes and leaning on then as a scoring line and not treating them as the “kid line” he can’t trust, then great, they’ll likely continue to improve and put up good EV numbers. But without significant PP time they’ll never put up numbers we’d expect from top picks

yeah, honestly one way to look this situation is that Panarin/Kreider/Mika/Trocheck are good 5v5 players, but they’re excellent special teams players. and the kids are probably good special teams players (can’t really tell as of yet although of course Kakko looks good on the PK) but they’re very good 5v5 players.

that could be seen as a blessing because you can use the kid line at 5v5 and someone like Vesey to prop up the stars and make sure they’re super fresh for special teams time…but instead Gallant insists on generally overplaying the stars at 5v5 as well.

Stamkos got like 18m/game in the regular season the last few years and that 100% contributed to the cup IMO. feels like a fairly unique situation to be blessed with to have a line that can help rest your stars in a long season and dominate. but instead we just give the 4th line too and the top 2 lines too much 5v5 time. it’s a funny old game

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/br_openice/status/1619448144676421632?s=46&t=yGuk5moVkPIRCgr_qRd6_w

Binnington is a gigantic baby, part 6436732

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
yall love goalie fights but don't love what's necessary to start one....

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mind_Taker posted:

Binnington is a gigantic baby, part 6436732

Pretty smart of him to keeping reminding whole league know that the tiniest poo poo can take him off his game.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/iankennedyck/status/1619418367324221440?s=46&t=eRYKjXmLV4nr_JQt8CGI9g

Panarin, Kravtsov or Shesterkin?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dolan?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As You Know, only Russians are homophobic

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

100% Dolan the man has been recently incredibly unhinged even for his standards.

Eric the Mauve posted:

As You Know, only Russians are homophobic

It’s always those pesky Russian and not the 90% of the league and it’s owners that are North American CHUDs

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If it's enough of them to change a team event it's enough of them to say
gently caress the entire New York Rangers organization, top to bottom

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

If I'm a goalie I'm definitely not trying to fight Binnington, he seems like the type to go Dan Cloutier mode and straight up try and kill you on the ice.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
The NY Rangers and fans have a long commitment to being pro-gay rights. We even have a chant that we do in celebration of a fan icon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXyYbjf1JQ

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

my money would have been on Igor since he's fairly religious IIRC, but he's worn the jersey in the past apparently, and Panarin has signed a Pride jersey in the past. I can't find anything on Kravtsov, so maybe him? having said that, it's very possible that it is in fact:

...and for some absolutely insane reason. I would not be shocked if it has nothing to do with a player being against pride night and instead there's some gay politician that Dolan is mad at and thinks not wearing the jersey is somehow getting back at them.

e:

Mollie Walker of the NYPost posted:

Two players separately told Post colleague Larry Brooks and me that there were no team discussions about sporting the pride-themed jerseys and tape. They did not know why they didn’t wear them. Brooks also reached out to the NHL’s deputy commissioner and chief legal officer, Bill Daly, to see if teams had been advised not to proceed with their original Pride Night plans in the aftermath of Provorov’s refusal. Daly said no and that each club is entitled to proceed as it sees fit.

So if it wasn’t the players and it wasn’t the league, then it appears the decision must have come from higher up in the Rangers’ organization.

Broadway star Michael James Scott, who is gay, sang a goosebump-inciting rendition of the national anthem. Andre Thomas, the co-chair of NYC Pride and Heritage of Pride, participated in the ceremonial puck drop. Fans received a Pride-themed fanny pack, while the pinwheel ceiling and panels on the outside of the Garden were illuminated in the rainbow colors.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 29, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kravtsov didn’t even play last night, this is totally Dolan let’s stop assuming every Russian is a bigot. There are lots of other bigots in the league too!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

Kravtsov didn’t even play last night, this is totally Dolan let’s stop assuming every Russian is a bigot. There are lots of other bigots in the league too!

you're right. it was clearly not any of our Russians. It was Trouba and Goodrow and they should be traded in the offseason as punishment. if we can't find a willing partner, the NHL should step in and void their contracts.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

The NY Rangers and fans have a long commitment to being pro-gay rights. We even have a chant that we do in celebration of a fan icon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXyYbjf1JQ

I will never not laugh at the insanely newscaster cadence with which she delivers the words "Larry... isn't gay."

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Trouba would not let that jersey incident happen if he had any say in it so my guess is Dolan. Love Trouba or hate him he's all for that kind of thing.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Sucks to find out that the rangers are so bigoted and also not good looking. Rough combo.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
It’s most likely Dolan being a loving piece of poo poo because that’s what he is

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Four goals from Luke Hughes tonight for Michigan. Get him to the NHL now

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Penguins are dogshit garbage and Hextall needs to get off his rear end and do something.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yep let's trade some more draft picks and try to squeeze out another first round exit gogogo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yep let's trade some more draft picks and try to squeeze out another first round exit gogogo

Beating the Bruins in the first round is my Stanley Cup

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

A AHL/NHL tweeter, who’s on a one way contract so has been included in a couple of trades to get him off the books to save some coin. Played a couple of games with EP40 and was able to look like a NHL player, getting to the right spots reasonably responsible etc. Won’t help or harm CBJ tanking efforts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If Skinner is too sick to go to the all-star game, the Oilers should send Matt Berlin in his place.

He has a 0.00 career GAA and 1.000 career SV%. You can't argue with stats.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Our drafting sucks anyway
Might as well go for it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/rangers-made-an-absolute-mess-with-pride-night-about-face/

quote:

Two players separately told Post colleague Larry Brooks and me that there were no team discussions about sporting the pride-themed jerseys and tape. They did not know why they didn’t wear them. Brooks also reached out to the NHL’s deputy commissioner and chief legal officer, Bill Daly, to see if teams had been advised not to proceed with their original Pride Night plans in the aftermath of Provorov’s refusal. Daly said no and that each club is entitled to proceed as it sees fit.

So if it wasn’t the players and it wasn’t the league, then it appears the decision must have come from higher up in the Rangers’ organization.

gently caress James Dolan.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Our drafting sucks anyway
Might as well go for it

Since the front office is about to be turned over, it might be worthwhile to leave the new GM with some picks to start the rebuild from scratch with, rather than letting the lame ducks trade them all for non-needle-moving veterans in an extreme sellers' market in a doomed effort to save their jobs.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
has anyone checked to see if someone named Glevanger Bane made a killing on a wild ebug bet in Edmonton last night

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

mennoknight posted:

has anyone checked to see if someone named Glevanger Bane made a killing on a wild ebug bet in Edmonton last night

It’s weird how players gambling in pro-sports is seen as the ultimate no-no. Pete Rose will never get into the Baseball Hall of Fame because of it, players get season-long suspensions for it, the famous rumor of MJ “playing baseball” for a year because he got caught gambling on the NBA etc.

But then two of the biggest stars in the NHL are doing commercials for online gambling. Make it make sense

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think pro athletes should be allowed to gamble. At least on sports they don't participate in. If a MLB player wants to bet on the NBA why should I care.

It's also hard to imagine, especially in hockey, a player being able to meaningfully affect the outcome of bets on a regular basis. Even if they wanted to, most people who become pro athletes are insanely competitive weirdos. It's couldn't see many players throwing a game or whatever for money when they already make a ton of money.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think pro athletes should be allowed to gamble. At least on sports they don't participate in. If a MLB player wants to bet on the NBA why should I care.

It's also hard to imagine, especially in hockey, a player being able to meaningfully affect the outcome of bets on a regular basis. Even if they wanted to, most people who become pro athletes are insanely competitive weirdos. It's couldn't see many players throwing a game or whatever for money when they already make a ton of money.

I work in a league office and I collaborate a lot with other leagues, and it's very much a building the plane as we fly situation when it comes to figuring out gambling. I'm not allowed to gamble on any games in my sport, whether it's my league or not. I actually talked with someone from another league who brought up what we'd do in a scenario where someone was investigated for potential gambling infractions. I'm thinking like the Ian Cole situation but with gambling instead. What if like the Cole scenario, the league wasn't able to find anything further and had to reinstate him. Now imagine it's the playoffs and it's someone higher profile than a 3rd pair defenseman.

Whether or not a player can make a meaningful outcome on the game is less important than the perception. If it came out that a player in the playoffs was gambling on games, the integrity of the games will be questioned which is about as nightmarish a scenario as a league can find itself in. I don't think there's going to be a lot of cases at a pro level, especially a top flight league like the NHL where players would do point shaving due to the salaries as you mentioned, but public and media perception will not be kind if something came out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Most of them, yes. But I find no problem believing that if a guy like Evander Kane finds an opportunity to make some extra cash by pulling a shot wide here and putting a pass a half stride behind McDavid there, he wouldn't hesitate to do it. And that's before considering that compulsive gambling is a terrible disease and what may happen if someone like Evander found himself in a position where he owes a couple million dollars he doesn't actually have to an organized crime ring that expects payment in full by Tuesday or they will make his life extremely unpleasant.

marioinblack posted:

Whether or not a player can make a meaningful outcome on the game is less important than the perception. If it came out that a player in the playoffs was gambling on games, the integrity of the games will be questioned which is about as nightmarish a scenario as a league can find itself in.

This is exactly what happened with Jordan FWIW, David Stern was smart enough to go to extreme lengths to keep it off of ESPN that the face of the league was habitually gambling on NBA games with shady characters (which he was). I don't think there's any real evidence that Jordan's father's murder was gang or gambling related, but Stern and Jordan definitely worked out the whole "my dad always wanted me to be a baseball player so..." 'retirement' thing because neither party wanted to publicly explain an 18 month suspension.

Yes I know I'm just some guy on the internet with no provable sources so if you choose to take me for a crackpot that's fine.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 29, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gambling is also a pisspoor way to make money. I thought the PA had mandatory financial literacy classes nowadays.
If you've got $10 million you can park that in a couple low risk investment funds and coast off the dividends for the rest of your life. Why would you ever want to gamble with that kind of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Gambling is also a pisspoor way to make money. I thought the PA had mandatory financial literacy classes nowadays.
If you've got $10 million you can park that in a couple low risk investment funds and coast off the dividends for the rest of your life. Why would you ever want to gamble with that kind of money

Never met a professional athlete or a gambling addict, I take it