Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I am never not darkly amused by the fact that everyone was so paranoid about 'Big Brother', spying/tapping/bugging and the police state that they let big capital spy on them, track them and sell their personal information. Apparently that's called 'freedom'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I am never not darkly amused by the fact that everyone was so paranoid about 'Big Brother', spying/tapping/bugging and the police state that they let big capital spy on them, track them and sell their personal information. Apparently that's called 'freedom'.

The fun thing is that we got both!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There was that joke webcomic about the 50s or whatever where people were worried about listening devices and then jump cut to now saying Hey listening device play a song.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

There was that joke webcomic about the 50s or whatever where people were worried about listening devices and then jump cut to now saying Hey listening device play a song.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Those types of devices have proved fairly unpopular though, right? I’m sure they’ve sold millions, but iirc both Facebook and Amazon consider their listening device initiatives failures.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rinkles posted:

Those types of devices have proved fairly unpopular though, right? I’m sure they’ve sold millions, but iirc both Facebook and Amazon consider their listening device initiatives failures.

Let me tell you about my phone that shows me ads for things I was just talking to my friends about

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Don't doxx me

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Hey remember how, at least for a while and I don't know if they ever even stopped, Samsung had their TV's listening to you? And a lot of smart TV's have remotes you can talk to? And there are so many unsecured IoT devices like toasters and fridges and thermostats in millions of homes?

It's too late.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DerekSmartymans posted:

We seem to be ok with it…maybe you could, I dunno, go play a video game and chill out about it?
:agesilaus:

How dare you suggest such a thing! Why if I had mod buttons right now!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Rinkles posted:

As I understand it, the 'problem' is that they were going to use devices like this to make people buy more, but in practice everyone only uses these speakers for things that are fundamentally impossible to monetize. They wanted people to buy things through Alexa, and instead they have a million people who bought speakers at-cost who keep asking about the weather. They're getting a lot of information from their daily lives, but they didn't invest all that money in them just for information when they already have so much information on everyone thanks to the modern social media panopticon.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
There's also a weird thing where devices now come with a microphone or speaker, but don't mention it on the box or in the manual because they aren't activated. Then after a while a software update turns them on. It feels super creepy.
Also LOL at those people who got special camera roombas or something that started posting pictures of the owners on the toilet.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/12/19/1065306/roomba-irobot-robot-vacuums-artificial-intelligence-training-data-privacy/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Keep in mind that the Red Inquisition was in full force during the 50s and 60s thanks to old Uncle Joe. It's entirely plausible that if one had the nerve to say 'Maybe it *would* be better if workers owned the means of production' then you were pulled up in front of a 'committee', labeled a subversive (read: Threat to capitalist hegemony) and never heard from again.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Medullah posted:

Let me tell you about my phone that shows me ads for things I was just talking to my friends about

In most cases this is just coincidence from inferences based on data of you and those who are around you or that you communicate with. I don't believe there have been any actual cases of phones explicitly listening without user notice in years.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Automating that kind of voice recognition on a broad scale just to sell ads is not feasible. On the other hand, it's much easier to keep a giant database of everything you buy, and everything your friends and family buy, and using that plus their knowledge of all your relationships to cater ads to you based on what people in your life are buying (or even just looking at on Amazon but haven't actually bought yet).

And since you're most likely to discuss recent purchases, sprinkle in a little bit of confirmation bias, and viola: everyone thinks their phones are listening to them.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Noper Q posted:

Automating that kind of voice recognition on a broad scale just to sell ads is not feasible. On the other hand, it's much easier to keep a giant database of everything you buy, and everything your friends and family buy, and using that plus their knowledge of all your relationships to cater ads to you based on what people in your life are buying (or even just looking at on Amazon but haven't actually bought yet).

And since you're most likely to discuss recent purchases, sprinkle in a little bit of confirmation bias, and viola: everyone thinks their phones are listening to them.

They're using the alien tech at area 51 for it

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Well yeah, that just makes sense.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Blurb3947 posted:

In most cases this is just coincidence from inferences based on data of you and those who are around you or that you communicate with. I don't believe there have been any actual cases of phones explicitly listening without user notice in years.

I've read the same thing about this specific topic as you, it seems - it's easy to assume people are listening when you talk about something in private and then the panopticon seems to know the next day. But the fact that the panopticon knows without listening and can instead make a guess based on linked data points and metadata and be correct so often is a lot more unnerving.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I refuse to have any of those devices in my home, but yeah. We're all already carrying around tracking and monitoring devices and you can't really opt out of having one anymore.

:sigh:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

City of Gangsters, a tycoon game about your gang taking over a Prohibition-era city. Other people can say if it's actually good, but the concept's pretty clear.

The Crusader Kings-style relationship system is an interesting addition to a gangster sim, but this game will probably just make a player nostalgic for Gangsters: Organized Crime. In other words, a perfect game to nab for free and not play.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of insidious devices and gigacorps stealing your vital fluids, I just remembered to look up the Amazon Prime crap for February.

Feb 2: Morrowind GOTY Edition, Onsen Master
Feb 9: Aerial_Knight’s Never Yield, Divine Knockout
Feb 16: One Hand Clapping, BATS: Bloodsucker Anti-Terror Squad
Feb 23: Space Crew: Legendary Edition, Tunche, Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator

I've heard good things about that last one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've heard okay things about that first one.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Kins posted:

Speaking of insidious devices and gigacorps stealing your vital fluids, I just remembered to look up the Amazon Prime crap for February.

Feb 23: Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator

This made me want to try it…also, Sseth has the sense of humor of a Goon for reals, at least, from the early times.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Feb 2: Morrowind GOTY Edition, Onsen Master
Feb 9: Aerial_Knight’s Never Yield, Divine Knockout
Feb 16: One Hand Clapping, BATS: Bloodsucker Anti-Terror Squad
Feb 23: Space Crew: Legendary Edition, Tunche, Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator

Only interested in Space Crew and Space Warlord, but not enough to resub to prime. I need to make sure I don't resub to prime this year.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tagichatn posted:

Hell Is Others/free on EGS today

I spent yesterday playing this and it actually kinda owns?

I imagine it's gonna get stale fairly soon but its good for a day.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Realm Royale has been around for a while now and somehow not died, I still fully expect Rumbleverse to go down before it (if only because Iron Galaxy doesn't have several loads of staff and funding from the state of Georgia)

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/01/rumbleverse-to-end-service-on-february-28

Dave Lang can not catch a break

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Seems like Dave Lang's been catchin breaks for a long time

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

I spent yesterday playing this and it actually kinda owns?

I imagine it's gonna get stale fairly soon but its good for a day.

Yeah I've been playing it (!) too - tense but the short run times make it a lot more palatable, even when you get completely stomped by someone with a good weapon and custom bullets. It only came out at the end of last year so I'd be keen to see how much more content is planned for it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

i'm sure he's crying in his bed of millions every night

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I played a bunch of Hell is Others over the weekend and it was pretty decent. Kind of plateaued at level 6, though, unable to open the shops I wanted because their neighborhoods inexplicably became packed with hostiles whenever I wanted to try to drop quest items off...

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

I played a bunch of Hell is Others over the weekend and it was pretty decent. Kind of plateaued at level 6, though, unable to open the shops I wanted because their neighborhoods inexplicably became packed with hostiles whenever I wanted to try to drop quest items off...

You can drop them off in partial amounts, too. You don't have to drop everything off at once. It'll carry over between runs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dishonored Death of the Outsider and City of Gangsters are up on EGS

Recipe for Disaster next week

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Sims 4 is also free on EGS atm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sims 4 is free period. They made the base game free a few months ago.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Proletarian Mango posted:

Sims 4 is also free on EGS atm.

DLC not free

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

repiv posted:

Dishonored Death of the Outsider and City of Gangsters are up on EGS

Recipe for Disaster next week

Doto is very good, if you liked dishonored 1 or 2 highly recommended. Its about billie, dauds right hand.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Son of Rodney posted:

Doto is very good, if you liked dishonored 1 or 2 highly recommended. Its about billie, dauds right hand.

Pretty sure that's ableist in Billie's situation. I'd go with "protégé"! :thumbsup:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Sims 1 was a great start, but rough. Sims 2 was a huge step up. I'm a twat who bought every single expansions and stuff pack for Sims 2, and I was able to get the complete version on origin when they did that promotion where one could show proof of owning a disc and get the ultimate edition of the game for free. Sims 3 was even better, but it's when EA really started to take the piss regarding micro-content. Sims 4 is when they stopped trying.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

My gf owns every piece of dlc for Sims 4. It's rhe only game she plays on her own, and she plays the poo poo out if it. She loves building houses and uploading them, but she insists on using poo poo from all kinds of different DLCs so very few people can actually play in them. Her most popular upload is a little 2 bedroom she made for my Sim and Vin Diesel that only uses base game stuff

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

big cummers ONLY posted:

My gf owns every piece of dlc for Sims 4.

I'm sorry about the dire financial straits your girlfriend is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

nice