Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A Bystander posted:

I've never had an issue with the loot in either Nioh game cuz I just quick sell all of that poo poo that I don't need/care about in between missions and it was fine

yeah, it's only an issue if you're trying to min-max or are going for a very specific build (e.g. my aforementioned amrita gen build needed armor that restored HP on amrita gain to work). you can otherwise just put on whatever better gear drops and sell everything else and get through the game with no problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s bad

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wow Hi-Fi Rush looks insanely sick

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nioh 2 had Transmog at least so when you optimize you don’t look like a mismatched ninja clown. SoP desperately needed that option

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

Nioh 2 had Transmog at least so when you optimize you don’t look like a mismatched ninja clown. SoP desperately needed that option

While it's a fun option to have having to choose between stats and looking like an idiot is also very fun

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Macaluso posted:

Anyone here played that Hi Fi Rush game? Does it feel good to play or is it just carried by its style?

It's good and rad as hell

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The UI looks like rear end

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favourite thing about souls combat is how deliberate it is. The slower pace isn’t a detriment to me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

My favourite thing about souls combat is how deliberate it is. The slower pace isn’t a detriment to me.

I wish Souls combat could actually stick to one or the other tbh, like Bloodborne is sick because it’s a game where you just (at least when everything works as intended) kill and kill and kill some more because enemies drop heals and get forced to be aggressive because your baseline defensive option is “quickroll/sidestep motherfucker” but DS3 enemies are basically the same but you don’t have rallies, guaranteed quickrolls, or more than four HP refills at base.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Last Celebration posted:

I wish Souls combat could actually stick to one or the other tbh, like Bloodborne is sick because it’s a game where you just (at least when everything works as intended) kill and kill and kill some more because enemies drop heals and get forced to be aggressive because your baseline defensive option is “quickroll/sidestep motherfucker” but DS3 enemies are basically the same but you don’t have rallies, guaranteed quickrolls, or more than four HP refills at base.

Almost like they’re different games with different names and everything.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like bloodborne too, but my preference is the original dark souls.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Almost like they’re different games with different names and everything.

It's almost like they're comparing two different games to show how one of them is flawed because the systems within it don't compliment each other.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there is only one videogame, and it is Pitfall 2 for the Atari 800

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

It's almost like they're comparing two different games to show how one of them is flawed because the systems within it don't compliment each other.

Yeah, not sure how Gripweed missed this, thanks for succinctly summarizing it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's almost like video games are industry standard microtransactions for Soulslike RTS city builder gold development via outsourced social media active users, IDIOT.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Many are saying this

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DS3 was very clearly made by at least half a team that had just worked on bloodborne who were given the task of making a game that would not rattle the dark souls purists who'd pissed their pants over DS2, so it's got grim horrible aesthetics and lightning fast enemies and you, the elite knight, whose moveset is still limited to swinging a sword and doing a steven seagal roll

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I do really enjoy the thing the Souls games have, and a few others, where the game looks all grimdark and serious and intense, and rapidly develops into 'a man dressed as a clown invaded my world, threw rainbow stones everywhere, disco danced for ten minutes, then gave me a sword and vanished'.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Was Dark Souls the first game to use the "time and space are weird here" explanation for other players being around?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Getting near the end of replaying Jedi Fallen Order and remembering just how badly this game needs fast travel

Pwnstar posted:

Was Dark Souls the first game to use the "time and space are weird here" explanation for other players being around?

I think they already has that in Demon's Souls

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

you're describing a preference, not a problem with the game, lil bro

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fallen order had a few very high points but all the metroidvania stuff wasn't even half-baked. it was raw dough

i'm interested in the sequel though because if titanfall 2 is any indication respawn doesn't rest on their laurels

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

fallen order had a few very high points but all the metroidvania stuff wasn't even half-baked. it was raw dough

i'm interested in the sequel though because if titanfall 2 is any indication respawn doesn't rest on their laurels

the first game was good enough that I saw they could make a great game in the sequel with a budget. I imagine they just kind of got thrown on Fallen Order after being acquired

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

there is no such thing as bad design, only individual people's preferences? ok cool thanks for that meaningless contribution.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

there is no such thing as bad design, only individual people's preferences? ok cool thanks for that meaningless contribution.

this is easily flipped as "you didn't like it, so it's bad design? ok cool thanks"

it's fine to have suffered from a skill issue. happens to everyone

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wish Fallen Order had stuff to collect other than ponchos, robot skins and a billion lightsabre parts that you'll never actually see.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I kinda thought “enemies attack like it’s BB but you’re still in DS1” was a pretty common DS3 complaint…

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

stev posted:

I wish Fallen Order had stuff to collect other than ponchos, robot skins and a billion lightsabre parts that you'll never actually see.

i was halfway through the game before i discovered there were health upgrade kits you could find as well. i'm glad i learned about this, otherwise things would have gotten very unpleasant!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's perfectly alright to prefer a more deliberate, ponderous pace to combat, but the game needs to be designed around that identity, or else you get what eventually happened with fromsoft where a lot of elden ring's bosses are about waiting out aggressively long combos, hoping they don't backflip away, and then hitting your weapon art button once until the opportunity comes around again

there's a limit to the amount you can stretch the formula without adding something extra in and no one's quite figured out what that is yet besides "enemies are faster and combos are more complex," but it's a pattern that narrows player agency in a way that takes away from the basic rhythm of dark souls combat that people found engaging in the first place

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the reason why most off-brand Souls clones are lame is because all those developers hear is "difficult and disorienting world" and think new players will have the same tolerance for theirs as From fans who have religiously bought every game on Day 1 for over a decade. Souls games are difficult at first, but it's like 60% knowledge 20% execution 20% having the right stats/items, which is mostly just game knowledge anyway. Most Souls games have a pretty easy start where you don't need to care or know about anything in the world to hack at something and feel good about it. Compare this to the Surge 1 or Mortal Shell which are already trying to communicate complex mechanics and throwing obscure lore at you when you haven't even had the chance to orient yourself in any of the game's systems. Basically if you wanna be a Souls clone and do well, give players an easy W right at the start and don't assume anyone will give a single poo poo about your deep lore. Instead focus on making it look visually appealing. I'd say add big bapped anime babes too but somehow Code Vein was even worse than the Surge.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think the reason why most off-brand Souls clones are lame is because all those developers hear is "difficult and disorienting world" and think new players will have the same tolerance for theirs as From fans who have religiously bought every game on Day 1 for over a decade. Souls games are difficult at first, but it's like 60% knowledge 20% execution 20% having the right stats/items, which is mostly just game knowledge anyway. Most Souls games have a pretty easy start where you don't need to care or know about anything in the world to hack at something and feel good about it. Compare this to the Surge 1 or Mortal Shell which are already trying to communicate complex mechanics and throwing obscure lore at you when you haven't even had the chance to orient yourself in any of the game's systems. Basically if you wanna be a Souls clone and do well, give players an easy W right at the start and don't assume anyone will give a single poo poo about your deep lore. Instead focus on making it look visually appealing. I'd say add big bapped anime babes too but somehow Code Vein was even worse than the Surge.

I really appreciate how Tunic is the only Souls successor that copied the important part of Dark Souls’s vibe: obtuse lore inspired by playing old foreign video games in a language you don’t understand, complete with doing the thing you think you’re supposed to do ending up with you being loving dead

Also I guess Hollow Knight is pretty good at nailing the lowkey hostile vibe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hear the battle cry...

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1619539715815792642

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Dark Souls III had the best combat out of all the soulsborne games, just get more i-frames you frickin noobs

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

When the Steam page to Wanted: Deadsaid from the creators of Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden, I assumed it was that Aerosmith loving pervert Itagaki, but apparently that dude is creating some sort of NFT scam so now I'm back to being interested in it. Wanted: Dead that is, not the NFT poo poo.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
DS3's combat would have been vastly improved if most basic enemies didn't seem to have a move where they go crazy and hit you with a 5-hit combo for 75% of your health.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Schools should teach gaming skills instead of chemistry and literature or whatever, this is just sad

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Buschmaki posted:

Dark Souls III had the best combat out of all the soulsborne games, just get more i-frames you frickin noobs

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Darth Nat posted:

DS3's combat would have been vastly improved if most basic enemies didn't seem to have a move where they go crazy and hit you with a 5-hit combo for 75% of your health.

Yeah I can't think of any other souls game where the basic enemies can take new players by surprise with a giant multi hit combo that knocks off a ton of health

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Dabir posted:

Yeah I can't think of any other souls game where the basic enemies can take new players by surprise with a giant multi hit combo that knocks off a ton of health

Simply back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The basic undead infantry from demon’s souls on have had that wild swing attack