Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
music in leifs paralogue goes hard. haven't even played thracia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Some of these skirmishes don't even pretend to be fair

I had one in Shadowy Moor, and it has your deployment with all your units split up, and there's fog of war, and every single enemy is a flier. What the gently caress you expect me to do, Fire Emblem, only bring in Jade and Louis?

Now that I type that out, I probably could have done that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That map also has zero backup units and like a single mystical one, if that gives you any ideas.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Does Draconic Hex stack with itself if multiple units have it?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it's a pretty toothless complaint given they're optional, but

fourteen paralogues might be too many god drat

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
So the Engage setting is just Wars World, right?

Brodia is Yellow Comet.
Elusia is Blue Moon.
Firene is Orange Star.
I guess this means Solm is Green Earth, although I don't think this one really makes sense. They are the last country you visit, I guess.

It all checks out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Are there any recommended promotes? I have choice paralysis and always seem to make the worst choices possible whenever RPGs make me spec characters and stuff. Googling for recommendations is useless because the results are littered with guides on how to promote, not who. I've promoted Louis to General and Cloe to Griffin Knight and that's worked wonderfully. I'm at chapter 12. (Or whatever the chapter is after Alear and co escape after losing the Emblem rings.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Are there any recommended promotes? I have choice paralysis and always seem to make the worst choices possible whenever RPGs make me spec characters and stuff. Googling for recommendations is useless because the results are littered with guides on how to promote, not who. I've promoted Louis to General and Cloe to Griffin Knight and that's worked wonderfully. I'm at chapter 12. (Or whatever the chapter is after Alear and co escape after losing the Emblem rings.

I'd say just promote who you use most. Master Seals aren't particularly tough to come by, especially within a few chapters, so you don't need to be too precious about them.

Alear is a good target for promotion just because you have to use them in every map anyway. Also characters who get access to a second weapon type on promotion can be nice to promote sooner, like Diamant getting axes, or a mage picking up staff access in Sage.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alright. Oh yeah, I saw a video about building Anna in a way to walk away rich as hell from maps. You gotta promote her to Monk. Which Emblem has fist proficiency? I didn't have any way to train her in kung fu when I tried.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

Alright. Oh yeah, I saw a video about building Anna in a way to walk away rich as hell from maps. You gotta promote her to Monk. Which Emblem has fist proficiency? I didn't have any way to train her in kung fu when I tried.

Byleth is the first Emblem you get that can train fists.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tiki also gets Arts Proficiency if you have DLC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

this isnt really a game where you need to hyperoptimize like that, and second seals become infinitely buyable later so you can always change your mind

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah the only way you can "screw over" someone in a reclassing sense is reclassing before promotion. Always be in an advanced class before changing class, and never go down to a basic class.

or if you run out of money i suppose

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the one thing that caused a small problem was my reclassing Anna to Mage after she'd already gained a few Fighter levels but before promotion. It took notably longer to get her to level 10 than it otherwise would've, to the point that it might've been better to just get her to level 10 Axe Fighter and promote then second seal to Mage Knight instead. She still turned out just fine but she did take more effort to raise than she otherwise would have.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda weird/jank that they even let you second seal at all before promotion with the way internal levels work, maybe I’m dumb and missing something but since it’s capped at level 10 it literally just seems like it can only screw tou over by making it take longer to promote since it’s not like Awakening where being level 1+10 accelerated growth compared being just level 10.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
It's useful for Jean and Anne so you can put them into better classes from level 1. That's it i think.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I can’t remember if the game let me choose between classic/casual when I first started. Is there permadeath in this one? I’m glad I can reverse time a little bit because the hit %’s in this game are bullshit. I missed on a hit with 84% chance to hit and then the counter hit me despite having only a 40% chance! loving statistics!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I can’t remember if the game let me choose between classic/casual when I first started. Is there permadeath in this one? I’m glad I can reverse time a little bit because the hit %’s in this game are bullshit. I missed on a hit with 84% chance to hit and then the counter hit me despite having only a 40% chance! loving statistics!!!

theres permadeath and the game makes you do the classic/casual choice, yeah

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Endorph posted:

theres permadeath and the game makes you do the classic/casual choice, yeah

I must’ve chosen Classic then because I hate myself

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The game gives the option yeah, and you can lower difficulty at any point. Those hit rates are you probably being used to the older titles rigging the rates in the background so that an 84 was really a 96~ and a 40 was like a 32%. :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There is still rng behind the numbers that nudges them in your favor. It's just that either way 82% is still a significant chance to miss and 40% chance is still a significant chance to hit, even in 2RN.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I must’ve chosen Classic then because I hate myself

I will always choose classic

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

There is still rng behind the numbers that nudges them in your favor. It's just that either way 82% is still a significant chance to miss and 40% chance is still a significant chance to hit, even in 2RN.

I though the Fates/Echoes/Engage thing was specifically sub-50% being standard 1 RN and 51+ being rigged but less generous than the old games?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Terper posted:

backup/chain attacks capping at 80% really illustrates this imo, I'm always a bit wary whenever I'm relying on that extra damage for the kill

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I though the Fates/Echoes/Engage thing was specifically sub-50% being standard 1 RN and 51+ being rigged but less generous than the old games?

Yes? That doesn't change it being in your favor as you generally have higher hit rates than the enemy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do you all think Canter+ is worth the extra 1000 SP over regular Canter? I'm trying to decide if there are better things I could spend that 1000 SP on than one extra square of post-action movement, knowing I probably won't ever have enough SP to get Canter and something like Wrath on the same unit.

But I also know how powerful +1 move can be, so I'm not sure.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

It's useful for Jean and Anne so you can put them into better classes from level 1. That's it i think.

And even then you don't get any Second Seals until (assuming you do both Paralogues) 4 maps after Jean joins and 2 maps after Anna joins. Jean is low enough level that it's not a huge deal to reclass him but Anna can easily be level 7 or 8 by then so it's a lot harder of a decision. It would be nice if there was a Second Seal in the initial shop or something.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Harrow posted:

Do you all think Canter+ is worth the extra 1000 SP over regular Canter? I'm trying to decide if there are better things I could spend that 1000 SP on than one extra square of post-action movement, knowing I probably won't ever have enough SP to get Canter and something like Wrath on the same unit.

But I also know how powerful +1 move can be, so I'm not sure.

anything that's "lesser" in the tier list will act as a discount for the next skill up, so there's never a need to save up for anything in the same line

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

anything that's "lesser" in the tier list will act as a discount for the next skill up, so there's never a need to save up for anything in the same line

Oh I know, it still costs 1000 SP though (it's 2000 SP normally, or 1000 if you bought normal Canter first). I'm mostly wondering if there's a better use for that extra 1000 SP than upgrading Canter.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
canter+ is a reasonable use of 1000 SP if you happen to have that much, but if you have like 500 SP, I think it'd be better to just grab speed+3 or something and get immediate benefit than wait a bunch of chapters for canter+

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/zipperqr/status/1619776291460493312

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
And game finished, about 73.5 hours. I feel like it's solidly the best Fire Emblem in terms of what I like about the games, and at this point I've played all of them. (Including BS Fire Emblem, since IIRC the maps are in the FE3 remake.) Incredibly solid basic systems, good map design, story ends up actually pretty good--though it's limited by the fact that a lot of things are in service to gameplay and hitting designated cool moments above every moment connecting smoothly. ("I managed to steal your time rock and the rings while you were distracted! Very careless of you" / "Alear died so now I have all the rings, somehow") But the gameplay and cool moments facilitated by that approach were indeed good gameplay and cool moments, so it's forgiveable.

I appreciate that the game has a real player phase focus for a long time, and that there's an effort to keep you from sweeping enemy phase even later on. You can still do it eventually, but it generally takes Emblems or the right terrain. That said, I like that they let Alear into that club, giving them a sweet 1-2 sword to use with Marth for the last stage and any content you have left over. But if they were going to do that, then they should have given the 13th Emblem a version of that sword the same way they gave it a version of Liberation, so that I'd have more reason to use Engage+! Wonder why Alear's 1-2 sword was named "Willie Glans," though. That's very unfortunate.

Most consistent unit was Etie, who did Good Archer things very well from start to finish. Rarely the outright MVP (outside of Tiki's map, where she was the designated dragonslayer), but always valuable and always useful in a game with a good Longbow. Weirdly consistent about critting on 20-30% odds with her Eirika-Engraved Longbow. Biggest fall from grace was Louis, who was always more-or-less invincible physically, but who got totally eclipsed by the crazy enemy phase juggernauts like Panette+Lyn, Ivy+Micaiah with Nosferatu, or Kagetsu+Roy with the Binding Blade. Past a certain point he was just filling out the numbers.

A part of me wants to jump into Lunatic, but I bought the DLC, so I may as well wait for the rest of that. Should give me time to avoid burning out, hopefully. For now I'll probably poke my head into Tempest Trials, which I haven't touched at all (or Relays, but I don't have NS Online, so).

They do give you 120k for beating the game and loading a clear file, so for anyone using a character with S Fists or S Axes, the S Fists weapon is behind the final Brodia investment (50000, after the 5k, 10k, and 25k levels) and the S Axe is behind the final Solm investment. The S Greatlance is behind Firene and the S Staff behind Elusia, but lol heavy weapons and the S Staff is seemingly one-use only AND only fills up Engage meters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Einander posted:

A part of me wants to jump into Lunatic, but I bought the DLC, so I may as well wait for the rest of that. Should give me time to avoid burning out, hopefully. For now I'll probably poke my head into Tempest Trials, which I haven't touched at all (or Relays, but I don't have NS Online, so).

I'm curious about the Tempest Trials because it looks like it could be a fun little pseudo-postgame diversion. Sometimes I feel a little bummed at the end of a Fire Emblem game because I've built up this army of characters I love to play as and now there aren't any more maps to do. If the Tempest Trials are reasonably fun to mess around with (I'm not at all expecting like... great maps or anything), that'd be nice.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

finally got off my rear end and properly refined + engraved my killer weapons. what a difference! panette and kagetsu are up front committing war crimes, while alcryst shoots for more crits from a distance and laughs in luna when he doesn't. even chloe joins in when she isn't flame lancing or spot healing. crit fishing this game is really fun!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Oh, something about the final chapter I forgot to mention that amused me: I'm guessing that Sombron summons more of the Dark Emblems if you take too long, but I killed him in three turns, which meant he only summoned FE1, FE2, FE4, and FE5. The Fell Dragon's darkest power: Kaga Fire Emblem.

Harrow posted:

I'm curious about the Tempest Trials because it looks like it could be a fun little pseudo-postgame diversion. Sometimes I feel a little bummed at the end of a Fire Emblem game because I've built up this army of characters I love to play as and now there aren't any more maps to do. If the Tempest Trials are reasonably fun to mess around with (I'm not at all expecting like... great maps or anything), that'd be nice.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I know you haven’t played a lot of the classic emblems but Binding Blade and Path of Radiance have something like that fwiw

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I know you haven’t played a lot of the classic emblems but Binding Blade and Path of Radiance have something like that fwiw

Oh nice. I knew that about Path of Radiance but I didn't about Binding Blade.

I think I'm going to play PoR once I'm done with Engage actually, and just hope Ike gains some Str for me this time...

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Harrow posted:

Have you ever played Binding Blade or Sacred Stones? Both those games have post-endgame maps that you can throw your units at after beating the game.

Binding Blade has the trial maps that it shares with Path of Radiance, while Sacred Stones has the 10-stage-straight Lagdou Ruins. The latter also gives you bonus units as you keep playing through it.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 29, 2023

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I'm past the point where you lose all your rings and have to escape and I was going to take Anna into a magic growth class, but I guess I didn't actually get her staves proficiency like the brilliant idiot I am. Is mage knight worth putting her in or do I just sit her in an axe class where I've been using her, like Warrior? I gave her Tiki so her Str has been growing fine (unlike Boucheron who she took over from, disgustingly), and frankly she's doing an okay job. I feel like between my Clanne, who has insane speed and decent mag, and all these other options I've gotten I'm actually set for mystics, but it feels bad to have bungled the class change without catching it.

Also I haven't had ring paralogues yet so everything is max rank 10, was I doing disservice by not cycling my rings between people? I'm getting very little SP so I haven't inherited a lot on anyone and just parked rings on people I've been using them on for ease of planning during combats.

I'm a bit miffed with myself because everything seems to like going for Alfred and in chapter 10 I finally used Tiki's Divine Blessing on him to survive a random boss hit that I honestly don't know how I would have solved without DLC, I feel dirty having truly payed-to-win. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Syrnn posted:

Is mage knight worth putting her in or do I just sit her in an axe class where I've been using her, like Warrior?

IMO Mage Knight is better for her than Sage. I made her a sword Mage Knight and she absolutely wrecks things with a Levin Sword. Plus if she has decent Strength she can make use of physical weapons if she needs to fight something with high Res or something like that. Just don't go axe Mage Knight, the magic axe sucks.

Syrnn posted:

Also I haven't had ring paralogues yet so everything is max rank 10, was I doing disservice by not cycling my rings between people? I'm getting very little SP so I haven't inherited a lot on anyone and just parked rings on people I've been using them on for ease of planning during combats.

Don't worry about this at all. You can level bond so easily in the Arena with bond fragments that it's really not worth worrying about cycling rings to gain bond.