Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The whole "can't direct the police" thing is a distraction to remove political decisions from political accountability.

The mayor could write a letter to the police chief expressing concern that the public will lose confidence in the police force if order is not restored to the transit system.

IE get uniforms in the subway or you're getting fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They have uniforms on the subways. They've done the thing they said they were doing and TTC is currently crawling with uniformed and plainclothes officers.

They just also tweeted a picture with a horse that had nothing to do with it, for some reason. And I, personally, am mad that the mounted division exists at all.

We can direct the police so long as the TPS feels like doing what's requested of them. We have no mandate or mechanism to force them to do anything or spend money in any particular way, despite paying for them.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 29, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah my point was about politicians acting as if they're helpless to control the police.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Counterpoint: Ottawa, one year ago

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

COPE 27 posted:

The whole "can't direct the police" thing is a distraction to remove political decisions from political accountability.

The mayor could write a letter to the police chief expressing concern that the public will lose confidence in the police force if order is not restored to the transit system.

IE get uniforms in the subway or you're getting fired.

Does Toronto Transit have, currently, the same grim reputation as Calgary Transit when it comes to the general feeling of safety?

I don't think cops are the solution, but I can see why cities try to use them as one at this point.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I have no idea what kind of reputation Calgary Transit has, but in the last week there were several high profile violent attacks on people on the TTC, which have made the news, and prompted this response.

There are daily assaults on transit operators and have been for years, but those don't really make the news. Random ladies getting stabbed and people shoved onto the tracks do though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

I have no idea what kind of reputation Calgary Transit has, but in the last week there were several high profile violent attacks on people on the TTC, which have made the news, and prompted this response.

There are daily assaults on transit operators and have been for years, but those don't really make the news. Random ladies getting stabbed and people shoved onto the tracks do though.

So, roughly speaking, yes. There haven't been any recent high-profile attacks here, but it's not good.

I swear COVID has turned people feral.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Every major metropolitan area is dealing with the same issue, pretending its unique to one specific area is nuts.

Everyone is trying the same thing and the same thing isn't working.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If giving the police more money made us safer, we'd be as safe as we've ever been right now.

Presumably we're not, so it doesn't, and maybe we should try something different for a change.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Look either make everyone a cop or no one a cop, either way we'd be eating better. Then the whole train could stop an assault.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Waiting for affordable housing and the welfare state to be fixed before doing anything about public safety is lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Who is doing that, or suggesting doing that?

I mean, arguably you would do a lot more than whatever we've done to date for public safety by fixing the welfare state. But notably we are neither improving public safety or fixing the welfare state. We're putting more police officers on transit.

Again, if more police made us more safe, we would be safer than we have ever been. Either we are, and this is all a distraction, or we're not and adding even more police won't actually help.

e: Technically, if we had so many police on the TTC that it becomes impossible to enter a station or board a vehicle, it will make it more difficult to be assaulted on the TTC.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 29, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think it's even really arguable that housing people improves public safety. It's practically axiomatically true unless you consider the unhoused to not be members of the public.

I will grant that waiting for TPS to see the light and divert their mounted unit funds to TCHC or Habitat for Humanity is fruitless.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, you see, there's the public, and the public that can afford a place to live. And clearly we need to make a distinction here because otherwise we'd be talking about the safety of people sleeping rough in parks, blowing themselves up with hacked together propane heaters, and getting roughed up by police for sleeping on TTC vehicles on a nightly basis, rather than a handful of random assaults that made the news last week.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The system is broken because the costs are intentionally stratified between the 3 levels of government. (also ACAB)

Funding and costs must be shared to have a robust public safety solution.

Everything is downloaded to the municipality with zero funding, so they're left flailing with the problem and no way to implement the solution. The solution is a robust network of intervention programs focusing on housing, mental health, drug addiction/decriminalization and straight-up food.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 29, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Counterpoint: Ottawa, one year ago

I know, I was stuck downtown through most of it. But when city council belatedly grew a backbone the police chief and the protestors were out within days.

I mean, arguably you would do a lot more than whatever we've done to date for public safety by fixing the welfare state. But notably we are neither improving public safety or fixing the welfare state.

I would absolutely support higher taxes and an actual welfare state, and yes it would decrease crime but it's never gonna happen because it doesn't please the rich.

Again, if more police made us more safe, we would be safer than we have ever been. Either we are, and this is all a distraction, or we're not and adding even more police won't actually help.

They don't make us safer in a vacuum, but they do contribute to overall levels of safety when they aren't busy doing their own crimes. We don't need more police - maybe if they stopped beating up homeless people for no reason they would have time to actually irespond to serious crimes - and we probably want fewer, but I would like them to actually do their loving jobs instead of sitting in their cruisers having temper tantrums about BLM.

I propose stack ranking them and firing the 10% most racist and 10% laziest every year for a few years and see what happens.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Crow Buddy posted:

Municipal cops are creations (largely) of the Province. Alberta just told Edmonton to redo their budget and give the cops what they asked for when they tried to cut back.

Same thing happened when Vancouver tried to cut the VPD budget too.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

COPE 27 posted:

I would like them to actually do their loving jobs instead of sitting in their cruisers having temper tantrums about BLM [and] beating up homeless people for no reason.

You might be confused about the purpose of the police, friend.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

What is their purpose?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ever tried to direct traffic without a loaded gun? It's impossible.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

COPE 27 posted:

What is their purpose?

Social order dictated by the wealthy

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

COPE 27 posted:

…I would like them to actually do their loving jobs instead of sitting in their cruisers having temper tantrums about BLM.

The problem is they are doing their jobs, it’s just that their job is to protect capital, not people. The rest of the time they’re just burning daylight waiting for an opportunity to do their jobs.

A broken institution that cannot be reformed only destroyed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Every major metropolitan area is dealing with the same issue, pretending its unique to one specific area is nuts.

Everyone is trying the same thing and the same thing isn't working.

Agreed. And I don't think there's a great deal of question about how we got here, or what to do to solve the problem long-term. The question still arises: what do you tell someone who supports all of these necessary social programs but is concerned about their safety on the transit system today during their commute?

We've hosed up and ignored the problems for a long, long time, and we can certainly discuss how to unfuck them on the same relative timescale, but people have real concerns about the immediate future.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/TPSMounted/status/1618719217146109983

I'm a big supporter of equine equity, transit should be accessible to all.

Sorry, are they describing a mounted cop as a Public Health First Responder? Making an assumption on the PH.

COPE 27 posted:

What is their purpose?

To enforce the will of the state, as directed by oligarchs, through the use of state-sanctioned violence.
Anything else they might do, such as investigating crime, is purely incidental.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tell them random acts of violence and crimes of opportunity will happen regardless of how many uniformed officers are wandering around the transit system.

I've been riding the TTC almost daily for 14 years, I don't feel safer because there's now someone in uniform on 1/3rd of the vehicles I travel on, because to the extent that there's a problem, it's just going to manifest itself where they aren't.

This is taking a few aspirin for a gaping head wound. We're spending a lot of money, but we're not fixing anything.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 29, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

Sorry, are they describing a mounted cop as a Public Health First Responder? Making an assumption on the PH.

Police horse.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

COPE 27 posted:

What is their purpose?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I don't think it's accurate or meaningful to state that the purpose of police is to serve the interests of capital. Who benefits from police doing nothing about white collar crime? Certainly not the capital "owners" who have their RRSPs wiped out by fraud. Who benefits from allowing commerce to be shut down by covidiots? Certainly not business owners in downtown Ottawa, or trucking companies in Coutts. Who benefits from police being lazy sacks of poo poo that absorb tax revenue and don't actually investigate crimes? Certainly not the businesses who lose potential profits due to either direct taxes or taxes on their customer base.

I think it's far more accurate to say that the "purpose" of the police is the perpetuation of more police, same as any other organism. In their particular ecological niche yes this does often (not always) serve the powerful - imo more so the Lindian overclass rather than capital per se - but it also have some other effects such as occasionally arresting murderers and somewhat maintaining public order.

I agree with less funding for police and more for social services, but I think some level policing is a necesarry part of living in a large, complex society.

I think racialized / poor / etc. people are actually doubly victimized by the current state of policing, directly by harassing them and violating their rights, and inderctly by not actually protecting them from crime or affording them what measure of justice is possible after the fact. Leovy's Ghettoside is a really good demonstration of this dynamic.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 29, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Every time I've ever seen a mounted cop the horse is either currently pissing and making GBS threads or is walking away from the pile of poo poo it made. Absolutely insane that they get to leave massive piles of poo poo in public without having to clean up after themselves and they don't even do anything that bikes couldn't do other than trample protesters

And also more cops on the TTC is bullshit, they know full well that it's just a band-aid over a much worse societal problem that isn't being tackled because it costs money that could otherwise go to paying six-figure wages to police cadets

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 29, 2023

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

The question still arises: what do you tell someone who supports all of these necessary social programs but is concerned about their safety on the transit system today during their commute?

Christ dude this is the liberalism 101 response.

We can't fix problems we have problems now!

There is no answer, no amount of bodies is going to make these people feel safe. Sorry, it's going to be the way it is until we actually do something to get people off the streets and off drugs, even then people are going to be assholes because guess what? Crime loves places where people gather.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 29, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How about someone actually comes to help when people hit the emergency button during an assault?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

apatheticman posted:

Christ dude this is the liberalism 101 response.

We can't fix problems we have problems now!

There is no answer, no amount of bodies is going to make these people feel safe. Sorry, it's going to be the way it is until we actually do something to get people off the streets and off drugs, even then people are going to be assholes because guess what? Crime loves places where people gather.

Okay but this time without going "these people"

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
even having a cop right next to you isn't a guarantee of safety anyway. sure, it's way less likely some random act of violence will happen to you personally, but if one does you're now in a violent situation that an ego-fueled police officer is trying to control, so your odds of escaping unscathed are drastically reduced.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Okay but this time without going "these people"

These people actually referred to the people complaining.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
The police are great for showing up 6 hours after the assault to shrug their shoulders.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I am trying to think of when this thread becomes more of an insufferable cess-pool than when it talks about the police, but I am drawing a blank.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tsyni posted:

I am trying to think of when this thread becomes more of an insufferable cess-pool than when it talks about the police, but I am drawing a blank.

Personally, I blame the police

But to engage your point, it's more insufferable when people start trying to discuss our relation to American foreign policy and international conflicts that don't directly involve Canada.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
delete all police, replace with people trained to be like columbo

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tighclops posted:

delete all police, replace with people trained to be like columbo

I don't know if Canada can produce enough chili in a year to support that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Tsyni posted:

Did you miss the time the vegan guy tried to explain that maybe there are some downsides to meat