Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rinkles posted:

What's the current Destiny situation? Is DLC content now permanent, or will this be a digital paperweight in a few months?

You have to spend $300 to be able to play the current destiny 2. This just cuts out $60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Just beat Ghost of Tsushima and have to say it has been a fantastic experience. I haven't done Ishi island dlc yet so I still have some more exploring to do.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ArmTheHomeless posted:

Just beat Ghost of Tsushima and have to say it has been a fantastic experience. I haven't done Ishi island dlc yet so I still have some more exploring to do.

The dlc is very good and felt like the perfect amount of content + story + character development. It’s a really beautifully done package.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Hootington posted:

You have to spend $300 to be able to play the current destiny 2. This just cuts out $60

Or just pay for the current expac and play that - the story's never going to make any sense anyway if you weren't playing from the beginning. All the playable expacs (including the one that isn't out yet) come to £120 if you really want to play them all but they're constantly on sale.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

stev posted:

Or just pay for the current expac and play that - the story's never going to make any sense anyway if you weren't playing from the beginning. All the playable expacs (including the one that isn't out yet) come to £120 if you really want to play them all but they're constantly on sale.

Would you say this dlc isn’t worthwhile without an additional investment?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Only 30 minutes into the Dead Space remake and this is definitely the most I've ever appreciated owning a 3D headset. being able to hear that a Necromorph is right behind me is crazy

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Did you know? The new Hitman freelancer game mode update fuckin owns and adds a ton of new variable content to an already massively content filled package.

I’ve sunk so much time over Hitman 1-3 dicking around with the maps and game modes and challenges that were already there. Now I’ll be sinking even more time into this elaborate new mode. What a package.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe I'll give destiny 2 a try on the ps5... played quite a bit of it on PC and it seemed all right enough but I never got what all the reviewers were saying about "the guns feel so good" and assumed it was some function of playing a shooter on a gamepad

Also lol that that was a few years ago and literally all the content I played is no longer in the game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
^^^^^^^^^^^ Sounds right, it's the best-feeling gamepad shooter I've ever played but I've never tried it on mouse/keyboard

Right now if you want to play Destiny 2 you can buy (current prices on PSN US store):

-The base game (free). Obviously you need this whatever else you decide to get.
-The Forsaken pack ($20). This is roughly half the content in the original year 2 expansion, the other half has been deleted. Skippable
-Shadowkeep ($25). This is the year 3 expansion. Nothing has been deleted, but it's not important to the current story or meta
-Beyond Light ($30, or free in Feb apparently). This is the year 4 expansion. The main notable thing it gives you is a fourth subclass, and the raid is pretty fun.

All of the above can also be bought as a bundle for $60

-The Witch Queen ($40). This is the year 5 expansion and the current content. You can pay more for the season pass, but that's not a good investment since it will give you 12 months of content and about 1 month to do it before it gets retired. The seasonal content for the previous years is no longer available.
-Lightfall ($40-$100). This is the upcoming expansion and optional season pass.

So the base game (free) and PS+ Beyond Light (also free) is a decent introduction to the game. That might hold you until Lightfall is released and you can spend $40-$100 getting in on the ground floor of year 6.

Nothing before Witch Queen is a good buy for a brand new player. Witch Queen itself is good but the entire population is about to move on to the new hotness. You don't have to buy every last piece of content available until you're sure you're invested in the game for the long term.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 29, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
destiny was already a free offering once. i tried it. it was fine. i would not attempt it again because i can't commit to one game for that long. even splatoon 3's dailies felt like a chore after a bit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ShoogaSlim posted:

it feels to me like the main value props for playing a game like dead space are:

1. resource management
2. art direction/setting + atmosphere
3. jump scares

if you turn the difficulty basically off, you lose out on the first, and imo primary, value prop. you no longer need to "worry" about making sure you have enough ammo and actively managing your supply vs using stuff in the environment to supplement your ammo.

i feel like that's a big reason people enjoy resident evil? am i just basically describing survival horror overall? it doesn't feel like a very satisfying reason to play a game (to me).

mostly, jump scares are pretty cheap, but in a game like this i can see their effectiveness. it diminishes the impact of how scary the game feels overall if you turn down the difficulty. so, that just leaves the art direction, which is pretty cool. alien monsters in spooky space is a cool concept/setting. but it's repetitive and impossible to tell where you're going or intuit any sense of direction. thankfully the R3 button is there or it would be nearly unplayable (for someone like me).

idk. i dont get it. i think im depressed lol

survival horror is about creating tension through fight or flight responses, you need to balance the immediate danger with your long-term success and make decisions under pressure. if that doesn't appeal to you, you probably won't find much to enjoy about Dead Space beyond the atmosphere of the Ishimura, the horror comes from the game mechanics more than anything

also there's a map screen

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rinkles posted:

Would you say this dlc isn’t worthwhile without an additional investment?

It's worth a try just to see if you like the setting and gameplay, but it won't be long before you have to buy the next expac to keep enjoying it.

For my money Destiny's biggest weakness (other than the fact that they've deleted a shitload of story content that people paid money for, which should flat out not be permissable) is that they committed to pumping out annual expansions. It inevitably means each one has a pretty short and shallow "campaign" and wind up being relatively low on new content to grind in the endgame.

If they took their time they could easily make something great but gotta keep that momentum I guess.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 29, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Augus posted:

Only 30 minutes into the Dead Space remake and this is definitely the most I've ever appreciated owning a 3D headset. being able to hear that a Necromorph is right behind me is crazy

I played almost the whole game without realising there was a 3D Audio setting in the in game options menu you had to turn on as well....

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow huh, i actually never got Beyond Light. Kinda works out!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

man nurse posted:

Did you know? The new Hitman freelancer game mode update fuckin owns and adds a ton of new variable content to an already massively content filled package.

I’ve sunk so much time over Hitman 1-3 dicking around with the maps and game modes and challenges that were already there. Now I’ll be sinking even more time into this elaborate new mode. What a package.

I need to buy this soon. Other than the free levels I haven’t played any of the new games. I grew up loving the franchise, not sure why it’s taken me so long to get back into it. It seems like such a good value.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
(Outdated, incorrect information. Apologies)

Hector Delgado fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 29, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You do not lose the bathroom, also the mode is incredibly fun

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hector Delgado posted:

I was kinda interested in the new Hitman dlc and watched someone play it. I was liking it until the player failed a syndicate leader missIon (the 1st boss he picked) and lost all progress and items/weapons that were unlocked. If you fail on a regular level you just lose what you brought with you. He lost everything, I think including hideout upgrades like motivational posters and a bathroom lol.

Sounds tense and fun. About to check it out

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hector Delgado posted:

I was kinda interested in the new Hitman dlc and watched someone play it. I was liking it until the player failed a syndicate leader missIon (the 1st boss he picked) and lost all progress and items/weapons that were unlocked. If you fail on a regular level you just lose what you brought with you. He lost everything, I think including hideout upgrades like motivational posters and a bathroom lol.

You only lose some (not all) currency and your tools, you keep all of your hideout unlocks and guns (that you didn't have with you when you died).

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

I need to buy this soon. Other than the free levels I haven’t played any of the new games. I grew up loving the franchise, not sure why it’s taken me so long to get back into it. It seems like such a good value.

I’m gobsmacked by what a value the entire package is. It’s just a stupid amount of content and replayability. Easily the best the Hitman series has ever been, too. Probably one of the best values for your buck available on modern day platforms.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

man nurse posted:

I’m gobsmacked by what a value the entire package is. It’s just a stupid amount of content and replayability. Easily the best the Hitman series has ever been, too. Probably one of the best values for your buck available on modern day platforms.

Also fully playable in VR if that’s a thing you’re into*

*PSVR1 via the PS4 version right now but a PSVR2 patch feels basically inevitable

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

stev posted:

You only lose some (not all) currency and your tools, you keep all of your hideout unlocks and guns (that you didn't have with you when you died).

Ok, I looked and yup, you're correct. I was going by what I saw in the closed beta but I see they changed it. My bad, will edit.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

man nurse posted:

Yeah, it really does seem like some of the best value of any game right now. Even at full price you’re getting so much content. The way I understand there’s a lot of overall like unlocks, progression etc to work towards too so everything kind of feeds the whole of the experience. The replayability seems amazing. I dig that a lot.

I’ve been trying to save money and stick to what I own lately but I miss Hitman too much. I think I’m going to grab it while it’s on sale. Just sounds like the perfect game to have always installed ready to jump into.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
I'm playing FFX for the first time since release and it's way better than I remembered it. I was hugely let down at the time by the lack of world map, the voice acting and I actually don't think I realized you could talk to npcs - usually multiple times, since there's no prompt (I think there was in the earlier FFs?). Those add a ton of flavour and help to establish a lot of the setting early on that I think I just missed.

The pure turn based battles are great so far, and some of the cinematic stuff they do with camera angles during the battles is great.

I think the last thing I got up to when I originally played was the field with the lightning - how far though the game is that about?

Wakka's voice though

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ShoogaSlim posted:

dead space is kinda boring

i bumped the difficulty down to "story" and that made it... still boring. but at least i know i can just run around clicking R3 until its finally over instead of abandoning it like every other game i stupidly waste $70 on bc of hype

deep breath

it feels to me like the main value props for playing a game like dead space are:

1. resource management
2. art direction/setting + atmosphere
3. jump scares

if you turn the difficulty basically off, you lose out on the first, and imo primary, value prop. you no longer need to "worry" about making sure you have enough ammo and actively managing your supply vs using stuff in the environment to supplement your ammo.

i feel like that's a big reason people enjoy resident evil? am i just basically describing survival horror overall? it doesn't feel like a very satisfying reason to play a game (to me).

mostly, jump scares are pretty cheap, but in a game like this i can see their effectiveness. it diminishes the impact of how scary the game feels overall if you turn down the difficulty. so, that just leaves the art direction, which is pretty cool. alien monsters in spooky space is a cool concept/setting. but it's repetitive and impossible to tell where you're going or intuit any sense of direction. thankfully the R3 button is there or it would be nearly unplayable (for someone like me).

idk. i dont get it. i think im depressed lol
I don't get scared easily and Dead Space remake has been scaring me :shobon: I'm playing on medium difficulty, though, so when I shoot an enemy several times but it still hasn't died yet and I've run out of ammo, I'm like "oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress". I've definitely been enjoying it so far. I find the R3 locator thing helpful and I wish more games had something similar. I really dig Dead Space's whole UX (or lack thereof).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I hope the remake kept the part where it casts light on the environment when it’s up

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Elden Ring trip report: I made it out of the swamps, died to Margit again (and again and again), ended up in a less poisonous swamp where I found a teleporter to...a slightly different part of the same swamp. Ran from giant crawfish, killed some apes in a cave, a sorceror in some dead village and found some really good mage gear (except I'm playing a confessor, and now have to weigh going a bit into intelligence or hoping I stumble into faith gear eventually :().

This game's exploration is kind of a mess because a random enemy camp or ruin can either contain a couple minor crafting ingredients, some golden runes, or a critically important item that changes gameplay mechanics entirely. The open world definitely exacerbates the problem vs. something more streamlined like Bloodborne, but it's also kind of freeing to just go around doing whatever vs. banging your head against a wall of a boss over and over.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arist posted:

You do not lose the bathroom

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I thought it was hilarious when I saw the bathroom was an unlock. Where has 47 been going all this time?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

HNB already posted it in the TLOU thread but...

Annie Wersching, who originally played Tess in TLOU, just died of cancer. Age 45, mother of 3.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/for-anni...%20share-flow-1

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Was Outer Wilds a limited run physical release? I was looking into getting a physical copy but they sell for $50+ for a loose disc. If that’s the case I’ll just get it digitally.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Hector Delgado posted:

I thought it was hilarious when I saw the bathroom was an unlock. Where has 47 been going all this time?

why do you think he's always so eager to grab any soda can he sees

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I was feeling down on buying the dead space remake as well. Then I got to the second chapter and things started to click for me. Playing on medium seems to be a nice mix as I really don’t want to worry about bullet inventory.

Unless I’m missing something the games biggest sin is the lack of a 180 hotkey :argh:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

EVERYONE PLAY OLLIOLLI WORLD

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BigDumper posted:

Was Outer Wilds a limited run physical release? I was looking into getting a physical copy but they sell for $50+ for a loose disc. If that’s the case I’ll just get it digitally.

It's had multiple physical releases and will prolly have more in the future, if not from LR then Annapurna itself, or iam8bit, or perhaps Special Reserve if they do stuff like that in the future.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Costco Meatballs posted:

Wakka's voice though

Bender did his best.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Kilometers Davis posted:

The dlc is very good and felt like the perfect amount of content + story + character development. It’s a really beautifully done package.

Loved Tsushima and was hyped to play the iki island DLC. Unfortunately it costs 30 bux to upgrade to the ps5 director's cut from the ps4 base game. Seems unreasonable!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Rental Sting posted:

Loved Tsushima and was hyped to play the iki island DLC. Unfortunately it costs 30 bux to upgrade to the ps5 director's cut from the ps4 base game. Seems unreasonable!

I resisted like a fool. It’s $20 now I think?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

HNB already posted it in the TLOU thread but...

Annie Wersching, who originally played Tess in TLOU, just died of cancer. Age 45, mother of 3.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/for-anni...%20share-flow-1

drat.

Good to see the gofundme going well tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Yeah I have no interest in games like Horizon or new God of War and I loved Ghost of Tsushima from start to finish. A fantastic game with a mc who wasn't a chatterbox. Haven't done the dlc but GoT is one game I can recommend 100% no problem.