Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I can't even reply to the guy implying everyone just knows the bosses in GOTY Elden Ring all suck or something. you can't encourage people like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dabir posted:

Yeah I can't think of any other souls game where the basic enemies can take new players by surprise with a giant multi hit combo that knocks off a ton of health

Elden Ring.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I understand the basic infrantry dudes having that combo because otherwise they aren't threatening at all, but DS3 feels like it has an inordinate amount of enemies that try to combo you to death. I have nightmares about those stupid goat things in the swamp.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

Schools should teach gaming skills instead of chemistry and literature or whatever, this is just sad

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Dabir posted:

Yeah I can't think of any other souls game where the basic enemies can take new players by surprise with a giant multi hit combo that knocks off a ton of health

hi that's basically every enemy in nioh 2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

vr girl is going to tumble over that waist high wall and fall down the stairs :ohdear:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Usually if an enemy in DS3 has a flurry attack they can be hit out of it. You need to make them "whiff" and then "punish" them which will allow you to get "frame advantage" so you can then use a high damage attack. My fav part of the souls game is how fighting game like it is, including the wiki even just having the frame data of all the attacks in the game

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Darth Nat posted:

I understand the basic infrantry dudes having that combo because otherwise they aren't threatening at all, but DS3 feels like it has an inordinate amount of enemies that try to combo you to death. I have nightmares about those stupid goat things in the swamp.

I liked the faster pace of combat in DS3. But yeah those goat fuckers were the worst enemies in the game. Also those huge fuckers in the swamp that summoned all those skulls sucked too. Aside from those and a few others the combat was great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Schools should teach gaming skills instead of chemistry and literature or whatever, this is just sad

Even then no one will stand on the god damned point

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Me when some guy in DS PvP points down:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

Me when some guy in DS PvP points down:

lmao

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’m sorry thread

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there an in-world explanation for how straightjacket Isaac opens doors? (I guess it's unclear how he opens them every other time too).

Should I be playing at the Survivalist difficulty? I'm not looking for too much of a challenge right now, but I don't want it to be a cake walk.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Is there an in-world explanation for how straightjacket Isaac opens doors? (I guess it's unclear how he opens them every other time too).

with his nose, just like everyone does

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

Should I be playing at the Survivalist difficulty? I'm not looking for too much of a challenge right now, but I don't want it to be a cake walk.

Alexa

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bone emulator posted:

When the Steam page to Wanted: Deadsaid from the creators of Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden, I assumed it was that Aerosmith loving pervert Itagaki, but apparently that dude is creating some sort of NFT scam so now I'm back to being interested in it. Wanted: Dead that is, not the NFT poo poo.

It's everyone that left to work on The Devils Third except Itagaki lol

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Buschmaki posted:

Dark Souls III had the best combat out of all the soulsborne games, just get more i-frames you frickin noobs

ds2 was the best one, if they removed ADP it would've been perfect
ds3 and elden ring have too much stamina / too many rolls

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DS3 is my least favorite Souls game because they made sorcery non-OP aka lame.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DS3 and Elden Ring are extremely kickass games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

exquisite tea posted:

DS3 is my least favorite Souls game because they made sorcery non-OP aka lame.

mana bar casting is less cool than vancian casting

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Darksiders 3 is the best souls game.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No, Breath of the Wild is the best Souls game.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

ya it is this

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Soulcalibur 2 is the best Souls game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:yeah:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

hatty posted:

Can't argue with facts.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hatty posted:

That's a swords game. Even eternally retold, it hardly even ranks on the edge of soul.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dead Space 2 is the best one

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Buschmaki posted:

Usually if an enemy in DS3 has a flurry attack they can be hit out of it. You need to make them "whiff" and then "punish" them which will allow you to get "frame advantage" so you can then use a high damage attack. My fav part of the souls game is how fighting game like it is, including the wiki even just having the frame data of all the attacks in the game
I like the combat in DS3 well enough but frame advantage is pretty irrelevant when there's poise involved and even then, it's hardly punishment when you don't even get to follow up with a devastating combo of your own. If Dark Souls was a fighting game, it would be the shittiest fighting game I've ever played.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

*DS2 spins around with all the other DS2s* Now you'll NEVER know which one is the best!!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
From should reboot Oni.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
TLR:

Who the hell designed Flaumello's Tower this place is a goddam disaster

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Idk whether to post about the rpgs I’ve been playing in this thread or the rpg thread…

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Volte posted:

I like the combat in DS3 well enough but frame advantage is pretty irrelevant when there's poise involved and even then, it's hardly punishment when you don't even get to follow up with a devastating combo of your own. If Dark Souls was a fighting game, it would be the shittiest fighting game I've ever played.

They nerfed poise pretty heavily in DS3, it really only matters for enemy NPCS, and the high poise ones are visually distinct from normal enemies (they are either giant or wear a lot of armor)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Just dropping in and drive by posting to say that I’m replaying Ghost of Tsushima on PlayStation and man what an incredible game.

At this point, the only thing I think would make it better is if after you beat the game, you could replay any of the missions at any time by selecting them from the mission journal, just like how you can replay individual forts after you beat the game by highlighting them on the map and selecting the replay option.

I suppose if the game really wanted to get fancy, it could also allow players to equip the MMO-ish multiplayer outfits and extra weapon flash graphics in single player mode too.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 29, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I never played much of Dead Space 2 even though I loved the original. I didn’t play it at release so I bought the PC version years later but all the DLC was baked in, I couldn’t figure out how to turn it all off and having all that extra gear at the start kinda soured me so I never went back to it. The console version should be free of all that right? Maybe I’ll play that instead of spending $70 on a remake

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Happy New Super Mario Bros
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aq7ilIgN2I

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t like that Donkey Kong talks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

when he should be singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5NJk4paWEs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MintBlitz/status/1619732814395740161?s=20&t=cpaWxTcUdWyQdTUDdEvX3A

Oh, that's probably not good