Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Gambling is also a pisspoor way to make money. I thought the PA had mandatory financial literacy classes nowadays.
If you've got $10 million you can park that in a couple low risk investment funds and coast off the dividends for the rest of your life. Why would you ever want to gamble with that kind of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Since the front office is about to be turned over, it might be worthwhile to leave the new GM with some picks to start the rebuild from scratch with, rather than letting the lame ducks trade them all for non-needle-moving veterans in an extreme sellers' market in a doomed effort to save their jobs.

Pittsburgh just inked Malkin, Rust, Rakell, and Letang to deals. Your imagined 'new regime' is going to have the same directive as the current one. Win now. No idea where you're getting new regime from either. Get rid of Dumo, bring up Smith, and add a 3c or a top 6er and bump someone else down. Ez Pz.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If you told me hockey players were the least educated of all pro sports athletes I would believe you 100%. Only a handful have ever actually completed their secondary, let alone post-secondary, education.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not like a hospitality degree is doing a whole lot for guys in other sports either. All athletes are dumb.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It does make me laugh when every once in a while you hear about a player who is a "really smart guy" and he's got the reputation because he's read a few books.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It does make me laugh when every once in a while you hear about a player who is a "really smart guy" and he's got the reputation because he's read a few books.

Dougie Hamilton and his museum trips?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

marioinblack posted:

I work in a league office and I collaborate a lot with other leagues, and it's very much a building the plane as we fly situation when it comes to figuring out gambling. I'm not allowed to gamble on any games in my sport, whether it's my league or not. I actually talked with someone from another league who brought up what we'd do in a scenario where someone was investigated for potential gambling infractions. I'm thinking like the Ian Cole situation but with gambling instead. What if like the Cole scenario, the league wasn't able to find anything further and had to reinstate him. Now imagine it's the playoffs and it's someone higher profile than a 3rd pair defenseman.

Whether or not a player can make a meaningful outcome on the game is less important than the perception. If it came out that a player in the playoffs was gambling on games, the integrity of the games will be questioned which is about as nightmarish a scenario as a league can find itself in. I don't think there's going to be a lot of cases at a pro level, especially a top flight league like the NHL where players would do point shaving due to the salaries as you mentioned, but public and media perception will not be kind if something came out.

A lot of different people involved in pro sports can fudge the numbers on games to make profits, you can bet on almost anything in a game. There’s a big hubbub now in hockey gambling about what is considered a “shot on goal.” Could an Evander Kane-type tell somebody to bet on him having over/under 2.5 shots in a game? Easily

Kind of related, yesterday on the nba subreddit a poster made a detailed post showing that Grizzlies player Jaren Jackson Jr. was getting an insane amount more blocks & steals at home games than away games. The NBA put out an official response refuting it in like 3 hours lol

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
some stuff from NJ.com

quote:

“It’s an open secret: the plan is for (Hughes) to turn pro here after his season at Michigan wraps up,” MacKinnon said. “Hopefully they have a nice long run there at the college ranks. Yeah, but the plan is for him to turn pro, come to New Jersey and I think it will be a day-to-day, week-to-week thing from there. We’ll see how he can hit the ground running and how he fits in.”

If he can quickly adjust to NHL pace, Hughes’ presence would be massive for New Jersey’s playoff run hopes. He has a built frame – 6-foot-2, 190 lbs, according to his player bio on Michigan’s website – and possesses a strong combination of speed and skill, which leaves opponents guessing. He has 26 points in 26 games for Michigan this season.

The 2022-23 NCAA season officially ends on April 8, 2023, with the National Championship in Tampa, Florida, but until then, Hughes is keeping a close eye on the Devils.

“I try to watch every Devils game,” Hughes told NJ Advance Media in a phone interview last week. “Really focusing on their D-zone, how they play, how fast they transition the puck, how hard they are in the D-zone. I watch them really closely and I try to watch every game that I can if I’m not playing or at practice or doing school. I probably watched 75-80% of their games this year and tried to zone in.”

Hughes isn’t the only Devils prospect to get excited about in the short term. MacKinnon discussed the status of several of his players’ development tracks – specifically Russian prospects Shakir Mukhamadullin and Arseni Gritsyuk – and revealed when Devils fans can expect them on the roster.

MacKinnon says Mukhamadullin, the Devils’ 20th overall pick in the 2020 draft, is “definitely” coming to North America this season – and he could be on the Utica Comets’ (AHL) roster come playoff time.

“Yeah, he’s definitely coming over when his KHL season wraps up with Ufa,” MacKinnon said of Mukhamadullin. “He’s signed already. Plan is to get him right in with Utica – hopefully on a nice playoff run there. We’re really excited about him. We watch all his games on video, but the only people that can see him live are guys in Russia like Sergei Nemchinov (Devils scout) because we can’t get people in and out of Russia, scouting wise. What we see and what we hear is that he’s taken another big step this year. We hope he comes over, adjusts quickly. We expect big things and for him to be an impact guy right away.”

Gritsyuk is a different story. The 21-year-old forward, who won the KHL’s rookie of the year award in 2022 after logging 22 goals and 38 points in 52 games, will likely stay in the KHL in order to develop his scoring abilities and become an instant-impact player upon traveling to North America in several years.

“Little bit different there,” MacKinnon said. “Was rookie of the year last year in the KHL, smaller, skilled player. The thinking right now is that it can really benefit him, as a scoring forward, to continue to mature over there. Maybe spend another year or two. And we’ve seen that with guys like Kirill Kaprizov and Andrei Kuzmenkov. For that type of player, sometimes it’s better for them to mature, then step right into your NHL roster. Probably not coming over right away.”

Rare to hear much about Mukhamadullin/Grtisyuk. Interesting especially how they view Mukhamadullin. If they think he's far enough along I wonder if that makes them hesitant on resigning Graves. I guess it depends how many years Graves wants in the end. It would be wild for a team with playoff/contending aspirations to go with three D under the age of 22 (next year I mean). Probably more likely if they keep all three is you see Luke next season, Nemec making a serious push, and Mukhamadullin coming up in 24-25.

You'd think something is gonna give with Luke Hughes/Nemec/Casey/Mukhamadullin/Bahl/Okhotyuk all in the system. Hughes and Nemec aren't getting moved, and they seem to like Casey/Mukhamadullin a lot. Between Bahl/Okhotyuk I like Bahl a lot more, he shows way more on the puck at this stage than Okhotyuk, who is giving me David Hale flashbacks. Surely San Jose is asking for one of Casey or Mukmahdullin in any deal (or even both), and possibly one of Bahl/Okhotyuk too.

Apparently Casey had a pretty nasty looking knee injury last night though, hopefully it's not bad!

https://twitter.com/InfernalAccess/status/1619725671273746433

uhhh maybe play Sharongovich instead of Miles on the 2nd unit

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 29, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

my money would have been on Igor since he's fairly religious IIRC, but he's worn the jersey in the past apparently, and Panarin has signed a Pride jersey in the past. I can't find anything on Kravtsov, so maybe him?

Bread has/had a Russian Orthodox shrine in his locker and frequented an Orthodox church in Columbus, for whatever it is/isn't worth. Dolan wouldn't surprise me at all, though.

e- "It is/isn't" makes more sense than it's/isn't.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 29, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Furnaceface posted:

If you told me hockey players were the least educated of all pro sports athletes I would believe you 100%. Only a handful have ever actually completed their secondary, let alone post-secondary, education.

Soccer players have it all over them, the good ones are usually the property of pro teams from the time they're about 12 or 13.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pittsburgh just inked Malkin, Rust, Rakell, and Letang to deals. Your imagined 'new regime' is going to have the same directive as the current one. Win now. No idea where you're getting new regime from either. Get rid of Dumo, bring up Smith, and add a 3c or a top 6er and bump someone else down. Ez Pz.

I don't think Burkestall are going to survive the team missing the playoffs or getting swept by the Bruins, and I don't think they believe they will, either.

Dumo likely can't be moved due to his NTC and probably negative trade value, but they drat well should be scratching him. Kapanen can/probably will be used for cap number matching but that will probably only raise the price. If they acquire a decent veteran in this year's market, man are they going to pay out the nose for it. They're not going anywhere near the Cup this year. Better to just scratch the washed up vets and let it ride than to drastically overpay to mildly increase the chances of reaching the Promised Land of the second round this May.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 29, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lol 12 or 13. Try like 6 to 8.

Edit: there is a plethora of high and mid end talent available as rentals that can be game changers for any number of teams. Even last year the Pens drastically improved when Rakell was added and he's been one of the big bright spots as well. Last year and the year previous showed me Burkextall aren't blind and know things need to be done. It's just they are significantly less reactionary than myself and various other parts of PAS or even GM JR. Of course, IMO, the largest looming concern isn't even one we offen bring up and it's in goal. So long story short yea the team is dire to watch. Idk how much leash Hextall and Burke have, but the Pens have 2 games to get 2 points and be above Washington and yeah Buffalo is back on the charge. Missing would be catastrophic for Burkextall and might see the end of them.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 29, 2023

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Furnaceface posted:

there was an athletic mailbag the golden knights beat writer ran the other day. some reader wanted to know what books the players were reading for some reason.

Jonathan marchessault told the beat writer hes only ever read 1 book. "a harry potter book"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Lol 12 or 13. Try like 6 to 8.

Edit: there is a plethora of high and mid end talent available as rentals that can be game changers for any number of teams. Even last year the Pens drastically improved when Rakell was added and he's been one of the big bright spots as well. Last year and the year previous showed me Burkextall aren't blind and know things need to be done. It's just they are significantly less reactionary than myself and various other parts of PAS or even GM JR. Of course, IMO, the largest looming concern isn't even one we offen bring up and it's in goal. So long story short yea the team is dire to watch. Idk how much leash Hextall and Burke have, but the Pens have 2 games to get 2 points and be above Washington and yeah Buffalo is back on the charge. Missing would be catastrophic for Burkextall and might see the end of them.

I would legit love to see them land Nedeljkovic except that I'm pretty certain he'd land in Sully's doghouse within a week. He's been in the doghouse of every other coach he's ever had. But yes at this point Jarry being unavailable for the stretch run and/or playoffs is just something the team should be planning for, and Casey DeSmith is not a plan. But you only have so many draft picks to trade ($DEITY knows there's nothing of value in WBS) and to get to the level of "might possibly reach the ECF if things break right" they need at minimum a middle six forward, middle pairing dman, and goalie. Too many holes on the team to burn what little future capital they have trying to improve it this year imo. Wait for the offseason and try to do some smart bargain-bin diving.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 29, 2023

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/br_openice/status/1619728891962343425?s=46&t=X2Hg8PbTN3wfI2c0aft0kA

Twitter lip readers seem to think he’s saying “Your dads watching!” *points to sky* which is a rough chirp

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think he should Bertuzzi him for that one.

From the replies, it sounds like Zegras has a bit of a history of asking to have his face caved in like that.

The Dirty Burger posted:

A lot of different people involved in pro sports can fudge the numbers on games to make profits, you can bet on almost anything in a game. There’s a big hubbub now in hockey gambling about what is considered a “shot on goal.” Could an Evander Kane-type tell somebody to bet on him having over/under 2.5 shots in a game? Easily

Kind of related, yesterday on the nba subreddit a poster made a detailed post showing that Grizzlies player Jaren Jackson Jr. was getting an insane amount more blocks & steals at home games than away games. The NBA put out an official response refuting it in like 3 hours lol

It turns out the numbers are entirely accurate too. Just that the Grizzlies home scorekeepers are probably paying more attention to what should count and awarding it than the away ones are.

Though likely only for him, I bet.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 29, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

clean ayers act posted:

Jonathan marchessault told the beat writer hes only ever read 1 book. "a harry potter book"

Liberals are allowed to play hockey too, what’s the problem here?

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

T-Bone posted:

some stuff from NJ.com

Rare to hear much about Mukhamadullin/Grtisyuk. Interesting especially how they view Mukhamadullin. If they think he's far enough along I wonder if that makes them hesitant on resigning Graves. I guess it depends how many years Graves wants in the end. It would be wild for a team with playoff/contending aspirations to go with three D under the age of 22 (next year I mean). Probably more likely if they keep all three is you see Luke next season, Nemec making a serious push, and Mukhamadullin coming up in 24-25.

You'd think something is gonna give with Luke Hughes/Nemec/Casey/Mukhamadullin/Bahl/Okhotyuk all in the system. Hughes and Nemec aren't getting moved, and they seem to like Casey/Mukhamadullin a lot. Between Bahl/Okhotyuk I like Bahl a lot more, he shows way more on the puck at this stage than Okhotyuk, who is giving me David Hale flashbacks. Surely San Jose is asking for one of Casey or Mukmahdullin in any deal (or even both), and possibly one of Bahl/Okhotyuk too.

Apparently Casey had a pretty nasty looking knee injury last night though, hopefully it's not bad!

https://twitter.com/InfernalAccess/status/1619725671273746433

uhhh maybe play Sharongovich instead of Miles on the 2nd unit

They seem a little higher on Mukhamadullin than I currently am, he looked lost in the couple of games for Utica last year and his only production comes on the PP. Gritsyuk is pretty interesting.

Casey's injury was odd, looked like his skate caught in the ice while he ran into a guy up high, not a typical knee injury looking play. Bahl is emergency 7D, I don't think they'll resign Graves, Hughes with Marino feels like a slam dunk next year. Not sure if they'll look at Nemec making the jump too.

What's also interesting is it sounds like Fitz offered Bratt a long term deal between Nico and Jack (somewhere just under 8M/yr) and Bratt wanted over 8M and didn't negotiate. If he tries to push it close to 9M after this year, Fitz has a dilemma on his hands. All the better to try to get Meier now to reduce the risk of being forced into an uncomfortably large contract for Bratt or forced into trading him with no real plan B.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If they have to go to like 9m on Bratt they just should. They're never going to get enough back in a potential trade

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

T-Bone posted:

If they have to go to like 9m on Bratt they just should. They're never going to get enough back in a potential trade

Yeah I just worry that if he wanted over 8 last summer, he'll probably want over 9 after this season. The upside on a contract like that feels like "Bratt meeting expectations" I'm not sure you want too many contracts like that on the books for that kind of cap hit when Mercer is going to eat up most of the cap rise after next year. Helloooooo Ondrej Palat contract.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I said NHL officiating would get embroiled in a betting scandal after sports gambling was legalized and I think it’s 100% coming in the next few years, you have guys with that much control over games and zero oversight, transparency or accountability over their decisions it’s just obvious what’s gonna happen.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ben Scrivens’ nickname in the AHL was “The Professor” and yes, his education was in hospitality management

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

Ben Scrivens’ nickname in the AHL was “The Professor” and yes, his education was in hospitality management

Joe Juneau built a dang plane!

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Arturs irbe basically had a phd in leatherworking and textile repair

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

crashlanding posted:

Joe Juneau built a dang plane!

Yea that's true, Juneau was legitimately smart, maybe the only exception to the rule. I believe Chara is an actual smart guy too, but I might just be thinking that because he speaks 7 or 8 languages or whatever. I'm sure there's a chance some of the guys who played in the Ivy League are reasonably intelligent too but I don't know of any specific examples.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Refs fix games in the NHL as a matter of course. Being legal to bet on them is insane really.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yea that's true, Juneau was legitimately smart, maybe the only exception to the rule. I believe Chara is an actual smart guy too, but I might just be thinking that because he speaks 7 or 8 languages or whatever. I'm sure there's a chance some of the guys who played in the Ivy League are reasonably intelligent too but I don't know of any specific examples.

John Scott is the one oddball to the rule that I always remember. Some kind of engineering degree because he knew his hockey career wouldnt be long and planned ahead which is apparently not very common for athletes in general I guess.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Kreider seems decently smart. His degree is in communications! He speaks Spanish and Russian as well. At least, he seems more thoughtful about things than a lot of guys

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Levitate posted:

Kreider seems decently smart. His degree is in communications! He speaks Spanish and Russian as well. At least, he seems more thoughtful about things than a lot of guys

Ehhh communications is a classic jock degree

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah before Hospitality Management there was Communications

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Most Europeans will speak 3-4 languages by default. Add a few dialects and it quickly becomes 7-8.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm sure there's a chance some of the guys who played in the Ivy League are reasonably intelligent too but I don't know of any specific examples.

Kerfoot finished an Economics degree at Harvard and he seems just as dumb as your average NHLer, but also [insert joke about economics]

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't know if any of these guys were in college on a hockey scholarship or how big a deal hockey is to the colleges they went to, but as Charles Barkley eloquently put it, "All I knew is that as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be just fine."

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Thank you, Toronto, for helping Buffalo get one step closer to a playoff spot.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i knew a guy who worked for one of the top WHL programs as an assistant general manager and his job was to do the players homework for them

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If we're going back forever, Dryden (Cornell, McGill Law) is the standard. But him and Juneau are the only 2 that instantly come to mind when trying to think of legit smart hockey players.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I stand by my assertion that Brett Connolly is not only the stupidest hockey player, but the stupidest person I have ever met. I taught a few of the Cougars and spent a fair amount of time working with the Blazers around 2004 and Devan Dubnyk was the only one with a shred of brains

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Lee Stempniak had an economics degree from Dartmouth

Colin Greening had a 3.95 GPA at Cornell

https://coloradohockeynow.com/2021/05/27/top-7-most-educated-ice-hockey-players/

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Yeah, came here to post that Dryden is a legitimately smart human being. And got the hell out of hockey before his brains got mushed.

I took my kids to an Oil Kings game (WHL) because it's like 1/5 of the price of an Oilers game. The Oil Kings are currently losing 10-1 and after their lone goal they Bobby Clarked some dudes ankle lol.

E: also their educational charity is "Reading: Give It A Shot" but the way the logo is constructed it looks like it's advice to the Oil Kings / Oilers

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 30, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

mennoknight posted:

I stand by my assertion that Brett Connolly is not only the stupidest hockey player, but the stupidest person I have ever met. I taught a few of the Cougars and spent a fair amount of time working with the Blazers around 2004 and Devan Dubnyk was the only one with a shred of brains

I knew Brett Connolly was stupid from the moment I first saw him. I'm not sure what the science behind it is, but every time a guy looks 30+ in his teens, he also invariably has room temperature IQ.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I should ask some old classmates to find out if this is actually true or just a joke, but the story around my high school was that Taylor Hall got busted for cheating on a science test, and the big tip-off was that he got a 70. I guess his punishment was to make more money than every student and teacher in that school combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jon Scott had an engineering degree iirc, smart dude