Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Our Boarding House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Looking like that? :stare:

it was like Elvis, where everyone pretended lyrics like "I wanna hug you" were scandalously explicit

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

~Coxy posted:

Our Boarding House

Very good

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have completely lost track of the emotions in DoB.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lunch

Pondus

Storefri

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Mr. Squishy posted:

He must have escaped from his organ grinder.

Yikes on that racist trope though. I honestly don't know whether I should spoiler stuff like this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Prince Arn is lucky as gently caress his aunts aren't around. Katwin would slap the poo poo outta him, and Tillicum would be very very angry. Imagine Bolthar!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hostile V posted:

When Dale Earnhardt Died, Did They Just Eat His Corpse Off The Pavement

Is that how bans from sports work? I feel like that's not how bans form sports work.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

Peruspäiväraha is a daily payment that unemployed people can file for that's paid for the time they're unemployed. I went for "daily allowance" because that's technically how "päiväraha" translates, but I guess "basic income" could've been more accurate?
Perus päivä raha = basic/base day money
Perus- = when used as a prefix, indicates that a thing is ordinary, nothing unusual. "Peruspäivä", i.e. ordinary day, is a relatively common term.
(Perussuomalaiset, the right-wing party, uses this same prefix so while their official English name is True Finns, a more accurate translation could be Ordinary Finns or Basic Finns.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It's not the first time, nor was it the last, that a funny-looking musician had crowds lusting after them.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/28/03

Brenda Starr 4/20-22/50

Are we finally getting rid of ...

Dammit.

Smokey Stover 8/17/52

Everyday Movies 1/17/36

"All right! If you don't like my meal, here's 15 cents. Go out and buy yourself a good one."

(Browsing through the New York Public Library's menu collection, it looks like 15 cents would have gotten you an English muffin back then.)

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/9-11/40

I don't know why Stamm keeps mentioning Johnstown when as far as I can tell, there is no Johnstown, NJ. The original seeing eye dog school in the US is in Morristown.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Invisible "Scarlet" O'Neil is going to utterly destroy the city of Johnstown, New Jersey, and all souls who abide therein

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

drat that's a fine baby elephant. Also, something something Elon Musk submarine.

FoxTrot

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Yikes on that racist trope though. I honestly don't know whether I should spoiler stuff like this.
Seems to come with the territory of posting strips from 1943. I'm honestly not sure what good it would do. Sparing readers from the reminder that people in the 40s had that idea in their head?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

~Coxy posted:

Our Boarding House

:golfclap:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I think it is cool people can choose not to look at outlandish stereotypes if they don't like to see that.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

this was beyond dated when the strip was made

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

goatface posted:

I have completely lost track of the emotions in DoB.

EVERYBODY IS INCREDIBLY ANGRY

Junk Drawer

I think I will start posting Home Free from the beginning. It's a new enough comic that it shouldn't take too long to catch up and by then we should be able to tell if it's any good or not. Here's the first week, timg'd because the panels are so big

Home Free

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Tiggum posted:

Have some contemporary media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc5xEgoAaM0

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 12, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 14-15, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
This went from funny as a kid to hilarious as an adult.

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Julet Esqu posted:

I think I will start posting Home Free from the beginning. It's a new enough comic that it shouldn't take too long to catch up and by then we should be able to tell if it's any good or not. Here's the first week, timg'd because the panels are so big

Home Free

I like the looks of this. The cartooning looks lively and fun, which honestly my main criteria for a modern strip.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it makes more sense to keep spoiler tags reserved for the most outrageous holy-gently caress-that's-racist material, if that, rather than as a general "better safe than sorry" catch-all measure for anything that could possibly offend. Not as a value judgment, just in practical terms: if 9 times out of 10 the tags hide nothing worse than the phrase "cannibals in Africa" then I'm likely to think oh huh, it's not so shocking what's behind the spoilers, I can have a peek pretty much every time, and then when the 10th time it's a full on golliwog that's gonna be right in my face.

e: a while ago I was at a boardgame exhibition and they had games from the time of colonialist Germany themed around travelling the world (i.e. the colonies), and they had content warnings on those too. But some were "just" colonialist in that captions referenced colonies and colonial trade and the illustrations depicted, by and large, relatively innocent-seeming common life scenes, while one was actively super racist with game events and illustrations centered around superstitious natives and their funny dances and what have you. They all had the same kind of warning on them, and I thought that was weird, that one wasn't categorized as worse than the other.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 29, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

my BITCH of a WIFE loves to SHOP

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Because they're white, the Kudlicks survived this encounter with the police.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (February 1, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Creeps is so good. Controversial opinion, I know.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Feels like Randy is directly addressing critics here.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (February 1, 1976)

Does the snowman charge more or is this inflation at work?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

EasyEW posted:

Hippocrass posted:

Feels like Randy is directly addressing critics here.

I hope not. "Things change, so don't criticize me" is pretty weak. I even like Randy's Popeye but I realize now that he spent 4-5 weeks telling roughly the same joke(and telling it well, admittedly) plus a few decent accessory jokes about some third-stringers as his first ongoing story. I mentioned awhile ago that Randy was having trouble at first with depicting action, the strip really is mostly SP with a Popeye skin, and considering how often he has played the "I've exhaustively read the Popeye wiki and Thimble Theatre strips" card, well, he's getting there but I think he should really try to take up the mantle of the insane IP they let him have.

Come on Randy, give us a full length rambling story with TT action and adventure! He's just shown he can carry a plotline across Sundays!

Genuine gut busters today. :laffo:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 30, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

The end!
Edit: Oh! Here's the Mangadex link if you want to share / reread / throw it some likes: https://mangadex.org/title/a397c8b4-28c2-4b0e-a8a0-f2a5faadb3ab/the-tale-of-the-antique-dealer-an-uramachi-sakaba-side-story

Cthulhu and Girl

Um Bread

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 30, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/9-11/50

Monsieur Reynard.

Archie 5/16-18/46

It's not very readable, but the asterisk at the bottom of the second panel is " * Jughead."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :dance:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

goddamnit they never smooched :argh:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK so I finally finished the new Peanuts graphic novel. I was curious to see what new artists would do with the material and how it would contrast with the stuff I've been posting from the 50s.

I say "graphic novel" but it's really more of a series of short stories split up by a few pages of classic Peanuts strips by Charles Schultz.

Let's do some short thoughts on each entry and then I'll go into overall impressions. First off is "The Beagle Has Landed Charlie Brown!", which takes up about half the length of the book.

This first page made me fairly optimistic. It's leveraging depth and action (something you just never got from Schultz work) and I liked the little moment on page 2 where CB stops playing to grab a muffin. Not earth shattering stuff by any stretch but kind of cute, you know? Unfortunately moments like these are few and far between and what you actually get is pretty boring. It's mostly just Snoopy in the back yard feuding with the neighbor's cat in a way you've seen countless times before but with a space themed dream sequence at the end which is a step up in the visuals but is still pretty bland overall.

It's also peppered with random asides like you'd get with the newspaper strips which kill the pacing of what's already a pretty bare bones plot. I wouldn't mind it so much if they were clever or visually interesting but they are neither so I mostly found myself tempted to skip them.

Overall this chapter is pretty tedious but with a few cute moments sprinkled in. I wasn't expecting a whole lot but considering the space themes of the book I feel like we could have done something a LOT more interesting.

The rest of the chapters are pretty short so I'll be brief.

Plane and Simple: I'm very annoyed that they had an entire discussion about planes but never bothered to draw one. To it's credit though this artist draws the characters much more expressively than the others.

Food for Fraught: OH MY GOD WHY ARE WE DOING ANOTHER SNOOPY IS FIGHTING WITH THE CAT BECAUSE OF FOOD STORY!? To it's credit though the art feels a bit more solid and polished here than in the other chapters. If I had to pick I'd ditch the first chapter and keep this one.

Have Dish Will Travel: Yet another "Snoopy wants more food than he's allowed" story. Fantastic.The art feels like a step down from the other chapters as well. Not bad necessarily, but simplistic and bland.

Charlie Brown's star: In which the characters discuss which star CB owns so the artist doesn't have to draw backgrounds. To be fair though I don't hate how they draw the characters here. They also make CB slightly more upbeat than usual which I enjoy.

Sunny Disposition: The one in which characters other than the core cast get to appear. Not terribly memorable but points for that panel of CB not giving a gently caress.

Twinkle Thinkle: This is my favorite chapter based solely on the fact that the writer actually remembered that Rerun was a thing.

Kickoff to the moon: Woodstock rides a football to the desert where thinks he's on the moon and meets that dog that I think is Snoopy's brother and finds a rock. Not much happens but points for some decently composed panel work.

Overall, If I were to sum up my feelings for this book I'd call it "aggressively non-controversial". It feels like a professionally made product that has no ambitions beyond putting something out there that looks and feels exactly like what you'd read in the newspaper. Everybody does slightly remixed versions of the stuff they did in the comics and nothing else. it won't make anybody mad, but it's a very bland experience for it.

I really, really wish the writers were given the leeway to do something a bit more risky and weird. Maybe reboot the continuity so we can watch people meet and form friendships, or change the setting up so that it's ~actually on the moon~. Bring SOMETHING new to the table God damnit! Or at the very least let your artists do something visually interesting. I pulled a bunch of random Peanuts fanart and most of it looked better than this official graphic novel because they were allowed to go off-model and make interesting artistic choices that might alienate a few people.

I mean, compare the pages up there some of this stuff:

It's also interesting to compare this to the 50's stuff I'm posting now because the Old School stuff just looks and feels *so much* better than this. Say what you want about Schulz's weird old art but it was incredibly expressive and had a lot of personality.

There's also a real sense of comedic conflict in the old stuff that's lacking in in Schulz later work (and by extension this book, which draws mainly from his later stuff). Everybody is kind of a huge rear end in a top hat to each other despite being friends and it's great. It actually feels very modern in that sense compared to other strips from this time. It's, if I may be so bold, got a bit of an edge to it. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that the graphic novel would have felt much more fresh and interesting had it instead aped the 50's style rather than the more modern stuff. But I've wanted more stuff based on the old stuff for years now so I'm biased.

Sooo.. yeah. That's the new Peanuts comic. TLDR: It's kind of boring and has lackluster art. It's not the worst thing ever but I wouldn't bother with this one unless a watered down version of the 90's comics/TV specials sounds appealing to you.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 30, 2023

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Special Guest Artist Brooke McEldowney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

goddamnit they never smooched :argh:
The end of that side story.