Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

i skipped UD because gently caress that for a bag of chips, i recognize a bullshit hardmode route when I see it - and yes I did feel vindicated when I checked the wiki map afterward :v: ended up avoiding most of RTA as well, as it turned out

taking a little break from it today, but i'm debating how to get where I need to go now. i'm 99% sure I could passage back to Outskirts and go through there to the Depths by that newbie-trap route, if I want to finish quick - which I kind of do, before the game overstays itself on me

First time I played I (and most other people) didn't know there was another way because it's easy to miss :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lets hang out posted:

First time I played I (and most other people) didn't know there was another way because it's easy to miss :negative:
it definitely seemed like the obvious route, but if this game's taught me one thing it's to be quick about trying (and looking for) alternate routes rather than stubbornly throwing slugcat after slugcat into the jaws (or, uh, cancerous tentacle blobs?) of doom

(e) this did not pay off in the shaded citadel of course, if you recall :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 29, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

deep dish peat moss posted:

Give me a game with extremely detailed absurdly granularized random gun stats except don't let me reload guns so that I am always just using whatever I find and it behaves unpredictably every time. Give me a John Wick looter shooter.

e: All the guns you loot go in a queue and display in a "next up" bar on the side like in Tetris.

This would honestly be pretty entertaining.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LLSix posted:

This would honestly be pretty entertaining.
i'm a little sad now that that's not a Severed Steel mod or something, yeah

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Give me a game with extremely detailed absurdly granularized random gun stats except don't let me reload guns so that I am always just using whatever I find and it behaves unpredictably every time. Give me a John Wick looter shooter.

e: All the guns you loot go in a queue and display in a "next up" bar on the side like in Tetris.

OMFG: One Million Fatal Guns is something like that. It's a student project so manage your expectations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

taking a little break from it today, but i'm debating how to get where I need to go now. i'm 99% sure I could passage back to Outskirts and go through there to the Depths by that newbie-trap route, rather than dealing with the awful chimneys (I hate vultures), if I want to finish quick - which I kind of do, before the game overstays itself on me

Should work. I've never gone that way so I can't really say how tricky it might be, but drainage system itself generally isn't that bad once you know a) how to swim without drowning yourself, and b) ways to mitigate the leach problem. Kind of refreshing to visit actually, due to it's unique look.

You will be missing out on another shared source of trauma that people like to inflict on new players (like UD) by not taking the path to the far west, but that's ok.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hwurmp posted:

Fallout 69

:boom:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I picked up RDR2 with some of my christmas gift cards, but never tried it until yesterday. Way too slow paced and on-rails for me so I submitted a refund request, but its been more than 2 weeks so they denied it. Anyone ever have any luck escalating things through steam support, if thats even possible?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

tildes posted:

Tried Rain World again now that Downpour is out, and coop has really helped me get past the opener and get into the game. It did feel like I needed a little bit more info than the game gave me, but by and large has been fun figuring stuff out. Also as the movement is starting to click more and more it’s super satisfying.

Is Downpour DLC, or standalone? I got it for free months ago with Prime Gaming, and really enjoyed it. There’s no way to “buy” games/DLC on the Prime launcher, though, and I didn’t enjoy it enough to actually buy the whole game + a DLC on another platform just to play a few new slugcats…at least while my backlog is slowly getting whittled down. If it’s a standalone, however, I did enjoy it enough to buy it on Steam to play by itself.

I just do the Prime Gaming stuff because I’m already paying for Prime anyway, and some really stellar games occasionally show up there (Recompile & ALL the various “…of Monkey Island” games for instance).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is Downpour DLC, or standalone? I got it for free months ago with Prime Gaming, and really enjoyed it. There’s no way to “buy” games/DLC on the Prime launcher, though, and I didn’t enjoy it enough to actually buy the whole game + a DLC on another platform just to play a few new slugcats…at least while my backlog is slowly getting whittled down. If it’s a standalone, however, I did enjoy it enough to buy it on Steam to play by itself.

I just do the Prime Gaming stuff because I’m already paying for Prime anyway, and some really stellar games occasionally show up there (Recompile & ALL the various “…of Monkey Island” games for instance).

It's DLC, so no luck there.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

HopperUK posted:

It's DLC, so no luck there.

Poop 😫. I did enjoy it, just not enough to pay for the full game and the DLC when I’d gotten it free and also completed the game. At least, while I haven’t finished 100% Hollow Knight/waiting for Silksong :colbert:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

codo27 posted:

So I picked up RDR2 with some of my christmas gift cards, but never tried it until yesterday. Way too slow paced and on-rails for me so I submitted a refund request, but its been more than 2 weeks so they denied it. Anyone ever have any luck escalating things through steam support, if thats even possible?

I tried a few times without luck.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

codo27 posted:

It's pretty explicitly against the refund policy so usually they won't allow this unless the game is severely hosed up and lots of people are demanding refunds or something. You can always try but I wouldn't expect to get a refund.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's not "against" the refund policy, the refund policy does not set any hard limits (and a limit like that would be illegal under Australian consumer laws anyway -- being sued by Australia for not following those was the whole reason Valve was forced to add refunds)
2 weeks / 2 hours is just the threshold for automatic no-questions-asked refunds

but to get a refund beyond that (under the Aus rules) you would need to explain that the game was somehow different from what you were led to expect by the storefront, or did not work properly
e.g. specifically saying "The store page made me think this would be an open ended open world game, but when I played it I discovered that it was much more focused on a linear story than I expected. this isn't what I bought it for"
or maybe "I got to level 5 more than 2 hours in and then it started crashing all the time"

if you just say "IDK I'm not vibin" they don't really have to care

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 29, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I got a game refunded after 4.5 hours when I claimed "IDK I'm not vibing" once, but that was only a one time thing.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I refunded a game after 4 hours because I was mad at how bad the interface was.

I've also refunded games that crash on alt-tab. No reason for that to happen in a single player game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

(not that it will help with the RDR2 situation but) If you really want to game the refund system: Submit a refund request immediately after purchasing a game. Being actively in-game will not prevent the refund from processing and you can continue to play long after it's refunded, you only lose access to it when you close the game, at which point you can decide to buy it again or not.

I am also fairly certain that you can request a refund, then switch to Offline Mode and play infinite hours forever and you will only lose access to the game when you return to Online Mode.

e: Not that I think there's any reason to do this in particular, they're just silly quirks of the refund system that I've noticed as someone who refunds a lot of games.

e2: Also using Paypal for Steam purchases makes refunds much faster/easier which may be necessary to do this in the first place

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 29, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I can only speculate as to why (music licensing?) but Syndicate 2012 was delisted two years ago. Not just from Steam, EA doesn't sell it either. I never got a chance to try it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I can only speculate as to why (music licensing?) but Syndicate 2012 was delisted two years ago. Not just from Steam, EA doesn't sell it either. I never got a chance to try it.

It's a perfectly okay fps. You're not missing much.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't remember what exactly, but I remember hearing it did some cool things, even if overall it was a fairly average shooter.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I don't remember what exactly, but I remember hearing it did some cool things, even if overall it was a fairly average shooter.

It did the Watch Dogs 1 thing before Watch Dogs 1 where you pressed a button at some environmental stuff to make something happen.
Also you could make enemies commit suicide.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

my account is over 18 years old please stop asking if i'm over 18

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Syndicate fps will be remembered mostly for how it thoroughly abused Bloom, as one of the worst offenders when that fad briefly blew through.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Inept posted:

no

also stop asking if you want to show this prompt every time, this never loving works

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serephina posted:

Syndicate fps will be remembered mostly for how it thoroughly abused Bloom, as one of the worst offenders when that fad briefly blew through.

Wasn't there another game, during the x360 Era that was the same like an arena shooter but insanely terrible like that. Started with a B I think.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack Trades posted:

It's a perfectly okay fps. You're not missing much.

I thought it was good, and the berserk visual style is part of that. It does hosed up corporate rear end in a top hat cyberpunk really well.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

removing access to games is never good

gently caress you epic

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

victrix posted:

removing access to games is never good

gently caress you epic

Do you mean delisting or you can no longer play a game purchased on Epic?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

pentyne posted:

Wasn't there another game, during the x360 Era that was the same like an arena shooter but insanely terrible like that. Started with a B I think.

Maybe you're thinking of Bulletstorm?

Because it way overused Blum

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
No it was something that didn't even have a single player mode.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

brink?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's Brink. Which also apparently a fairly big success.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Triarii posted:

Because it way overused Blum
Now you're thinking Quake 4.

Also, Bulletstorm is awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like to call that 2008-2010 period of gaming "The Steve Bloom Era"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

pentyne posted:

It's Brink. Which also apparently a fairly big success.

Was it? Huh

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Runa posted:

Was it? Huh

It wasn't - from memory it was entirely a multiplayer FPS with parkour (well implemented) that struggled to find a playerbase and was delisted.

e: I was wrong about it being delisted, I stopped playing it because I was under the impression the servers were no longer running.

Last reviewed 12 years ago...

tithin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 29, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Inept posted:

Valve knows this is stupid.
At some point after enough people complained they changed it to say some poo poo like "your local laws require us to ask every time, are you still over 18?"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I haven't been able to buy any adult videogames since I moved to Neptune :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hwurmp posted:

I haven't been able to buy any adult videogames since I moved to Neptune :smith:

At least you can get a good look at Uranus.