Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Stoca Zola posted:

What are the chances that a cooler soft water change will help trigger a spawn, similar to corydoras? In any case getting them conditioned for breeding with quality food is always important.

I've had no luck selling fish, it's very location dependant. Facebook doesn't allow selling any more but Gumtree does, but the hobbyist market is saturated with bristlenoses. Maybe the trick is finding a store to sell to, and there's none of that here. There's supposedly something like aquabid, a website for aquarium and fish sales being set up (edit to add, an Australia specific site) but I don't know if that got off the ground and that would probably mean you'd need to be willing to ship fish. And the courier situation is dire, sellers can't guarantee you'll get a box in the same week anymore let alone next day express like it used to be.

Aquabid used to be really nice, seem a lot more sketch these days. I do remember some sellers who only sold local and would not ship, but they never sold a lot.

BNs do tend to flood the market, but long-fins and color variants (greens, etc) always seem to be sellable.

with my BNs, they seem to spawn when I'm not expecting it. Have yet to find a way to set them off every single time; in theory lots of cool water with many water changes and lots of meaty foods should get them into 'rainy season' mode and spawn, but it doesn't always work. not everyone gets lucky at the 2am end of pub call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

St. Blaize posted:

anyone here that builds their own aquariums, where do you get your glass? i just want to build a couple 10 gallon frameless aquariums and cannot find anywhere to get 6mm glass that is not over $125 for just a single aquarium. im in the chicago area if anyone knows anywhere local

Does it have to be 10 gallon? Serpa did some rimless tanks a few months ago and used ikea glass shelves.

https://youtu.be/ir4kHioCSM0

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Stoca Zola posted:

I've had no luck selling fish, it's very location dependant. Facebook doesn't allow selling any more but Gumtree does, but the hobbyist market is saturated with bristlenoses. Maybe the trick is finding a store to sell to, and there's none of that here. There's supposedly something like aquabid, a website for aquarium and fish sales being set up (edit to add, an Australia specific site) but I don't know if that got off the ground and that would probably mean you'd need to be willing to ship fish. And the courier situation is dire, sellers can't guarantee you'll get a box in the same week anymore let alone next day express like it used to be.

Get yourself into the discord circuit. I am a member of two over here in Perth and there is a brisk trade in shrimp and plants, which is all im concerned about, so I imagine that the fish channels are more populated.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

What are the chances that a cooler soft water change will help trigger a spawn, similar to corydoras? In any case getting them conditioned for breeding with quality food is always important.

Is craigslist popular where you are? That's how I sell most of my fish

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

St. Blaize posted:

anyone here that builds their own aquariums, where do you get your glass? i just want to build a couple 10 gallon frameless aquariums and cannot find anywhere to get 6mm glass that is not over $125 for just a single aquarium. im in the chicago area if anyone knows anywhere local

I don't know if this is just a local trend or not, but china cabinets now have the same value as used pianos where I am and people are just giving them away/sending them to the dump. You can snag the shelves from them for basically nothing if you have the patience for it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is craigslist popular where you are? That's how I sell most of my fish

Craiglist is pretty much dead, there are only like 12 cities listed for the whole of Australia and every category has approximately zero posts. I don't think it ever really took off, Gumtree seems to be kind of equivalent for AU, NZ, UK and ZA.

There's probably regional discords for the eastern states but I haven't bothered with it, since the shipping is so unreliable even with brick and mortar stores that have some leverage with the couriers. I don't trust a random seller to be able to get a fish across the country in a timely manner. Recently saw someone had paid $300 for a saratoga (jardinii) only for it to be delivered dead in the bag 2 weeks later. Just recently found a guy who is only 500km away, which is fairly local and pretty much one road from there to here, I'd expect shipping in a couple of days from him so I'm probably going to attempt to buy some guppies and shrimp from that guy when the weather seems suitable. I just think there isn't sufficient population density in Australia to really make money breeding fish, and its really hard to compete with cheap asian imports, unless you corner the market on something rare that can't be imported like pea puffers (still selling for $200+ each or $1600 for 10), or high value like flowerhorns, or short lived fancy looking fish like bettas that are going to be replaced every few years.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Does it have to be 10 gallon? Serpa did some rimless tanks a few months ago and used ikea glass shelves.

https://youtu.be/ir4kHioCSM0

Yeah, looking for something a bit smaller before i go ahead with anything too big.

Call Your Grandma posted:

I don't know if this is just a local trend or not, but china cabinets now have the same value as used pianos where I am and people are just giving them away/sending them to the dump. You can snag the shelves from them for basically nothing if you have the patience for it.

Good idea, im gonna check that out

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'm going to start hatching baby brine shrimp for the corydoras. I kind of want them to spawn again and do it correctly this time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lol this is not the CAD thread, carry on

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yo posters with nitrate issues: If you aren't growing pothos out the top of your tanks, start now. get a bright lamp, and some cuttings. Once they get roots established and start really growing, they are a mega nitrate sink. After establishing them in my guppy tubs, it cut the necessity of water changes down by 2/3 frequency.
Since they grow outside of the tank, you can blast a lot more light at them for a lot longer than anything grown under water without algae issues, and they have maximum access to CO2, light, and warm water for maximum growth.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking at getting back into a fish tank so my kids can enjoy it.

I’d love to do saltwater again, but I have no desire to get an RODI system or fill up 5 gallon Carboys of water at a time while making saltwater, so I’m guessing a 20-29 gallon freshwater tank with some schooling fish, maybe a pack like this:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product...42+7814&s=ts&r=

My main requirement is the tank needs a lid because I’ve got a cat and I don’t want the kids throwing anything into the tank.

Are there any decent “all in one” kits you would recommend? I had a 14g bio cube for my saltwater setup but I had to upgrade the leds and filter system in it. I’m hoping with freshwater, I don’t have a big of a need for special coral lights or anything. My tank will probably have a few live plants but that’s it for needing lighting.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

nwin posted:

Looking at getting back into a fish tank so my kids can enjoy it.

I’d love to do saltwater again, but I have no desire to get an RODI system or fill up 5 gallon Carboys of water at a time while making saltwater, so I’m guessing a 20-29 gallon freshwater tank with some schooling fish, maybe a pack like this:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product...42+7814&s=ts&r=

My main requirement is the tank needs a lid because I’ve got a cat and I don’t want the kids throwing anything into the tank.

Are there any decent “all in one” kits you would recommend? I had a 14g bio cube for my saltwater setup but I had to upgrade the leds and filter system in it. I’m hoping with freshwater, I don’t have a big of a need for special coral lights or anything. My tank will probably have a few live plants but that’s it for needing lighting.

Not familiar with all-in-ones but if you want super low maintenance freshwater with schooling fish, here's my advice based on my similar themed 10G:

Definitely suggest doing live plants. Live plants eat the poo poo you don't want in your water and along with with a low bio-load in the tank they'll mean you need water changes less and see reduced algae growth. They also look really nice. Anubias has been bulletproof for me, as has Java Moss.
Floating plants are also amazing (if legal in your area). They eat a ton of nutrients out of your water due to unrestricted CO2 access and give some shade for the fish, which also helps control algae. Get larger ones like Salvinia or dwarf water lettuce (again, if legal), avoid duckweed.
If you do plants and don't get a plant LED with your all-in-one the NICREW LED lights on Amazon are fine and very cheap. Put it on a cheap programmable outlet timer and you're set.
For fish that school and look nice I can personally recommend the Emerald Dwarf Rasbora and Celestial Pearl Danio. Extremely small bioload, super bright colors, not aggressive in the least, and they school well. They're also cold tolerant so you don't need a heater for them unless you're living in a yeti cave. In a 20g (with filter meant for 20G) you could comfortably stock 10-20 of these while keeping yourself in the lazy maintenance zone.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 29, 2023

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Fluval makes decent aio tanks iirc. With the flex offered in a 32gal model (if you were to follow that pack's recommendation). Biorb still exists and have freshwater versions. Innovative marine is another brand. Though, they are focused on rimless salt tanks with screen tops.

As for live aquaria, I'd recommend someone else over them. The company has changed hands a few times now and the quality isn't like it was. Aquatic arts would be a decent substitution.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 28, 2023

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

B33rChiller posted:

Yo posters with nitrate issues: If you aren't growing pothos out the top of your tanks, start now. get a bright lamp, and some cuttings. Once they get roots established and start really growing, they are a mega nitrate sink. After establishing them in my guppy tubs, it cut the necessity of water changes down by 2/3 frequency.
Since they grow outside of the tank, you can blast a lot more light at them for a lot longer than anything grown under water without algae issues, and they have maximum access to CO2, light, and warm water for maximum growth.

I did out of my old 29. My mistake was I rooted them in the substrate and everything under the water line will root like mad. Make sure you do it in something hanging from the top or you'll either have roots galore or will be constantly pruning.
But yeah, my vines coming out of the tank were almost half an inch thick and huge leaves. Ran up the wall, across the ceiling and wrapped around the ceiling light. When I cut them back there was a bout 15 feet of length on each vine. Took a year to grow that long

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

I finally pulled myself out of my funk and cleaned up my 29 gallon. I have a Siamese algae eater as big around as a cigar, a Synodontis nigriventris about 5 inches long, a bunch of ghost shrimp and a dozen tiger barbs. I really love the tiger barbs, they jostle and chase each other constantly and it's delightful.

Video of my jerk fish and tank cause why not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bx_cOjyaPc

The plant situation is pitiful compared to past efforts in this tank but I am successfully growing red stuff this time and that makes me happy.

Edit: ADHD hyper-focus is guiding me to make more videos of the tank so why not (this one is much better than the previous one):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5coH6BJMA4

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 30, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

How many generations of shrimp do you need before inbreeding becomes a problem. Clearly they don't have the same issues a humans do

4 shrimp is a pretty tiny gene pool to work from

my founding population of 6 red cherry shrimp started a colony that survived for 3-4 years with some really deformed shrimp at the end then the population dramatically crashed to near nothing.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

How long do you think a colony with a starting population of 20 would last? I guess it would depend on the colony they came from I guess. I hope they aren't all related.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Warning wild speculation ahead:

There's a whole field of science devoted to this. I started googling after I asked this question last week. Endangered species are at significant risk because once you get below the "magic number" you don't have additional blood lines to introduce when the genetics start getting fucky. You can try and cross-breed with related species but then you "ruin the bloodline" so to speak. Wikipedia says that the old "magic number" used to be population of 500 to prevent serious inbreeding problems, now "they" say it's closer to 5000.

Presumably if you buy 10 and then a month later buy 10 more from a different store/vendor, you have a better chance of getting a quasi wide gene pool to start with. Buying 20 all at once vs buying 4 all at once probably doesn't have much of an impact on genetic fuckery after 20 or so generations (4 years?)

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I found this interesting but its also kind of gross and probably distressing for anyone who has owned and loved loaches - personally I would love to keep weather loaches.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-01/oriental-weatherloach-pest-found-riverland-sunraysia/101899316

Article is about weather loaches being found in the river system that lots of water is pumped from, by the sheer numbers of their corpses clogging up inlet filter baskets. I didn't know we had a weather loach problem here, they're definitely not available for import or purchase but I guess someone still got them into the country somehow and this is the end result. I am guessing at some point they were in someone's pond and washed out due to flooding, or I wonder if there's someone purposely releasing exotic fish? It happened in New Zealand:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118845051/the-liberator-how-one-mans-15000-pest-fish-changed-new-zealands-waterways

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Uuuuggghhhhh. I'm going to have to move the tank to another coffee table. The table we have it on now has a metal frame but a good potion of it is Hardiebacker with tile on it and guess what is starting to crack. At least we've got a more manageable time limit this time. But yeah, still not looking forward to it. I have fish to net now too.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
15 years ago, I kept a very large tank with live plants and really enjoyed it. I haven't done any aquariums since then, and forgot how to take care of all that stuff at this point. Someone gave me an old 1 gallon fishbowl to add to a "plant hospital" that some of us have made at work, it's basically just a big dedicated countertop space where we put a large full spectrum grow light and lots of plants. I'd like to make a live plant aquarium out of this otherwise useless 1 gallon tank, does anyone have recommendations for substrate/plant? Is the full spectrum light we use for the regular plants going to be adequate for this?

Also, I'm very well aware that 1 gallon is not anywhere near adequate for a fish, so I have no plans to add any. If the plant tank does well, is that enough space for something tiny, like a pair of ghost shrimp? I'd prefer to not have to use a filter or anything in the plant tank, so obviously it would need to be something with a low bio-waste production. If that's a terrible idea, I can live with that and stick to just plants. Just trying to keep things as simple and plug-free as possible given the space. I made a terrarium last year that housed an orchid mantis for it's lifespan and that was a big hit at the office, so now people dump things like this on me asking if I can do more similar projects.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I moved the fish tank and it more or less went according to plan. Aside from getting the person moving it with me to do it right, the hardest part was getting the shrimp to leave the elevated gravel area. I tried really hard to shoo them off of it since it was going to be drained past it but they have no concept of danger. I THINK I managed to get everybody off of it though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Warbadger posted:

Not familiar with all-in-ones but if you want super low maintenance freshwater with schooling fish, here's my advice based on my similar themed 10G:

Definitely suggest doing live plants. Live plants eat the poo poo you don't want in your water and along with with a low bio-load in the tank they'll mean you need water changes less and see reduced algae growth. They also look really nice. Anubias has been bulletproof for me, as has Java Moss.
Floating plants are also amazing (if legal in your area). They eat a ton of nutrients out of your water due to unrestricted CO2 access and give some shade for the fish, which also helps control algae. Get larger ones like Salvinia or dwarf water lettuce (again, if legal), avoid duckweed.
If you do plants and don't get a plant LED with your all-in-one the NICREW LED lights on Amazon are fine and very cheap. Put it on a cheap programmable outlet timer and you're set.
For fish that school and look nice I can personally recommend the Emerald Dwarf Rasbora and Celestial Pearl Danio. Extremely small bioload, super bright colors, not aggressive in the least, and they school well. They're also cold tolerant so you don't need a heater for them unless you're living in a yeti cave. In a 20g (with filter meant for 20G) you could comfortably stock 10-20 of these while keeping yourself in the lazy maintenance zone.

So I went with a fluval edge 15g.

I plan on keeping the tank stock. My pH is 6.8 and my gH is 8-9. I’m using well water.

I plan on adding some plants with the stock lighting and maybe a piece of wood. Plants should be low maintenance because I don’t have a ton of time to prune things.

For fish, I’d love something that schools like danios, but something colorful wouldn’t be bad either.

Recommendations?

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

15 years ago, I kept a very large tank with live plants and really enjoyed it. I haven't done any aquariums since then, and forgot how to take care of all that stuff at this point. Someone gave me an old 1 gallon fishbowl to add to a "plant hospital" that some of us have made at work, it's basically just a big dedicated countertop space where we put a large full spectrum grow light and lots of plants. I'd like to make a live plant aquarium out of this otherwise useless 1 gallon tank, does anyone have recommendations for substrate/plant? Is the full spectrum light we use for the regular plants going to be adequate for this?

Also, I'm very well aware that 1 gallon is not anywhere near adequate for a fish, so I have no plans to add any. If the plant tank does well, is that enough space for something tiny, like a pair of ghost shrimp? I'd prefer to not have to use a filter or anything in the plant tank, so obviously it would need to be something with a low bio-waste production. If that's a terrible idea, I can live with that and stick to just plants. Just trying to keep things as simple and plug-free as possible given the space. I made a terrarium last year that housed an orchid mantis for it's lifespan and that was a big hit at the office, so now people dump things like this on me asking if I can do more similar projects.
Seems like a few neocardinia shrimp and maybe a nerite snail or two would be okay. If you were able to get a teeny sponge filter in there that would help with oxygenation for the inverts. The plants will help with nitrates but you may still want to do partial water changes. Talking about it makes me want to try this experiment for myself!

Edit: keep in mind the snails may climb out of the bowl so you'll have to keep track of them.

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 4, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Ordered a 4000ml (4 liter) Erlenmeyer flask and I guess it arrived while my wife's friends were in town and was briefly turned into a flower vase. I think 4L is pretty close to 1 gallon which is on the lower end of humane for shrimp

Has some pond water, since Java moss scraps in there, innoculated it with the water from my other Erlenmeyer flask . If things go ok I'll transplant more moss in there and start with a couple of ghost shrimp

Those whitish/bright red things are magnolia seeds. You'll never see them on the ground because squirrels vacuum them up pretty much instantly, but my pond is full of them as squirrels don't swim underwater

The one on the right is 4000ml which is about one gallon

It's just full of Java moss and whatever weird stuff was growing on it when I harvested it from my "pond". It's way more full now. It supports three pretty large bladder snails and probably a thousand tiny detritus worms

Two shrimp probably isn't a problem. I would do that if I weren't moving so soon

Need to cull some of my moss it's really taking over

edit: I do a ~500ml change once a week or so, just pour it out in the sink and top off with pond water, seems to be fine

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 4, 2023

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The flask is a very cool and attractive idea. I also like the idea of free growing moss as opposed to substrate and rooted plants, so maybe I'll try some moss+natural looking debris. Any recommendations for moss since I don't happen to have a pond readily accessible?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is just aquarium java moss, I think I ordered it online for $6 or something

This is my 500ml flask, it has just some random sandy creek mud in the bottom. More of a drainage ditch water and silt. Literally walked along the side of the road until I got to the "creek" and dunked the flask in there. Big benefit being that you get a wide variety of healthy creek ecosystem in the mud and creek water. The first week was pretty boring but after about two weeks a bunch of stuff... I guess hatched? At least two different species of crustaceans and god knows what else.

Let me see if I can find a way to upload this video

https://hadlocks-bucket.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/PXL_20230204_024011094%5B1%5D.mp4

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 4, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The flask is a very cool and attractive idea. I also like the idea of free growing moss as opposed to substrate and rooted plants, so maybe I'll try some moss+natural looking debris. Any recommendations for moss since I don't happen to have a pond readily accessible?
I hate to suggest it, but maybe have a look at local fishkeeping groups on Facebook to see if people list java moss, etc for sale.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

what did you do to make him so angry?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Ahahaha. I must've spilled some water during the tank move. When I saw the water, I immediately thought that the tank was leaking. I'm pretty sure it's NOT actually leaking at this point since the water has since dried up but that was a fun couple of hours.

Yup. Pretty sure the tank is not leaking. It's been overnight and I don't see any moisture anymore.

Lareine fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 4, 2023

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Cloudy water mystery: I prepare 100 Lt +60 Lt of water at a time and waterchange multiple tanks with each batch. The last two water changes I've done, one of the three tanks that were water changed has become really cloudy after wards while the other two have been fine. So it's not the source water, and it really looks like a bacterial bloom or something. But I had an alternative idea, what if the fish spawn and jizz up the water? Or it could be the three Raphael catfish getting frisky and excavating their caves.

It clears up fairly quickly.

Edit: trying to add a second pic from my phone

An hour later

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 5, 2023

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

nwin posted:

So I went with a fluval edge 15g.

I plan on keeping the tank stock. My pH is 6.8 and my gH is 8-9. I’m using well water.

I plan on adding some plants with the stock lighting and maybe a piece of wood. Plants should be low maintenance because I don’t have a ton of time to prune things.

For fish, I’d love something that schools like danios, but something colorful wouldn’t be bad either.

Recommendations?

Those two are very colorful after they mature. CPDs have orange fins, grey/black bodies with gold spots which is a great look. The Dwarf Emerald Rasboras have red/orange fins and head with a dark navy blue body and gold stripes. Really fantastic, good looking, super low maintenance fish. I'm shifting over to a mixed school of ~16 of these two varieties after I eventually upgrade this to a nice 20G tank.

For zero maintenance plants I'd suggest Anubias and Cryptocorynes. You won't be having to trim those and they look great. Low light requirements so you can lower the light level to stunt algae growth and/or have a ceiling of floating plants above them. The downside to slow growth/low trimming, of course, being that they don't eat as much stuff out of the water. Mosses need trimming in my experience.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Warbadger posted:

Those two are very colorful after they mature. CPDs have orange fins, grey/black bodies with gold spots which is a great look. The Dwarf Emerald Rasboras have red/orange fins and head with a dark navy blue body and gold stripes. Really fantastic, good looking, super low maintenance fish. I'm shifting over to a mixed school of ~16 of these two varieties after I eventually upgrade this to a nice 20G tank.

For zero maintenance plants I'd suggest Anubias and Cryptocorynes. You won't be having to trim those and they look great. Low light requirements so you can lower the light level to stunt algae growth and/or have a ceiling of floating plants above them. The downside to slow growth/low trimming, of course, being that they don't eat as much stuff out of the water. Mosses need trimming in my experience.

I have a request:

CPDs and Dwarf Emerald Rasboras will hybridize. If you keep them together and get offspring please be sure to label them as potential hybrids.

I don't mean to be weird, or say not to do it, but I think it's important to be a bit cautious with this kind of thing.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I have a request:

CPDs and Dwarf Emerald Rasboras will hybridize. If you keep them together and get offspring please be sure to label them as potential hybrids.

I don't mean to be weird, or say not to do it, but I think it's important to be a bit cautious with this kind of thing.

I don't sell fish, nor do I intentionally breed them but yeah, I was aware of the potential to hybridize. Currently I've only got CPDs and I'm kinda curious if they school together or apart - I'd imagine they school together.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Warbadger posted:

I don't sell fish, nor do I intentionally breed them but yeah, I was aware of the potential to hybridize. Currently I've only got CPDs and I'm kinda curious if they school together or apart - I'd imagine they school together.

Let me know how it goes! I'm curious.

I've gotten unintentional fry from CPDs in a heavily planted tank before

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Warbadger posted:

CPD are kind of fun because they don't school tightly like, say, Tetras.

As far as breeding them goes, I know there are some concerns in the industry about the genetics at the moment. Bringing in more wild specimens is a challenge so my understanding is that some breeders are starting to see signs of the gene pool being stretched a bit thin. In my experience, I get a few obvious culls in each clutch. Mostly odd spinal deformities or strangely shaped bodies. Some of them do really well in my cull tank and seem to be living normal lives in spite of their physical difficulties.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought I found one of my goldfish dead. I could only see its tail motionless and vertical stuck in a clump of plants. it was feeding time so everyone else was zippy and jazzed about food, but this tail was just floating in the weeds. Finally the fish moved! It wasn't dead, it was busy wrestling with a huge worm it had found down there. Gave me a fright!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Schwack posted:

As far as breeding them goes, I know there are some concerns in the industry about the genetics at the moment. Bringing in more wild specimens is a challenge so my understanding is that some breeders are starting to see signs of the gene pool being stretched a bit thin. In my experience, I get a few obvious culls in each clutch. Mostly odd spinal deformities or strangely shaped bodies. Some of them do really well in my cull tank and seem to be living normal lives in spite of their physical difficulties.

I actually just lost the genetic trainwreck fish in my 75G. This was a Spotfin/Satinfin Shiner I caught as a tiny fry and it never really matured past the fry stage and ended up looking like a 2 inch long fry with a slightly off mouth. I was pretty surprised it lasted a solid year and a half.

The others in that catch all turned into nice big 3-4" shiny bois, who I'm now supplementing with some FieryBlack Shiners.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Schwack posted:

I've had some clear defectives in my batches, and most recently I've noticed disruptions in the spots. I was *just* thinking that I needed to mix up the genetics a bit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pretty happy with my hybrid, mutt genetics endler guppies. 2 summers in the patio tub, with a handful of new colours each time, to get things spicy. There's now a variety of fin shapes and sizes, and colour patterns. One of the females even grew up to have long lace fins! I'm hopeful she can pass on that trait.