Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Josh Wow posted:

I got some of the new fat tire and hoo boy is it not anywhere near as good as the original. It's some kind of a golden ale now and has a way fruitier aroma and is almost kind of astringent. Not sure who this beer is meant for since they don't mention on the package anywhere that they changed the recipe so it's just gonna piss off everyone that actually buys fat tire still.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2023/1/12/new-belgium-fat-tire-gets-full-makeover-after-sales-tumble

I am convinced that Fat Tire didn't sell but they can't admit failure and become only The Voodoo Ranger Brewery so they're keeping Fat Tire around while changing and cheaping out on the recipe, so it makes money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man, I drank Fat Tire all the time in college far too many years ago. Sad to see this happen.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man, I drank Fat Tire all the time in college far too many years ago. Sad to see this happen.

Well much like you clearly people stopped drinking it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It was a good style for the time and I wish it was still around because I've been revisiting dad styles and enjoying them compared to the candy soda beers.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Is there a light beer that doesn’t taste like poo poo? I mostly drink weihenstephaner hefe weissbier (when I can find it) but I need to cut calories.

So far I’ve tried:

Corona premier (absolute poo poo)
Michelob Ultra (only slightly better)

Obviously I drank the Big Three in college, along with your Nattys and your Stoners. Not looking to go back to that.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 29, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's not worth it. Just don't drink as often

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's not worth it. Just don't drink as often

This. The solution is drink less, not drink stuff you don't like or just tolerate.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There’s nothing wrong with trying to find a not-butt low cal beer. That said, all of the ones I’ve tried are butt. PBR/Pacifico/Modelo are my lighter gotos when I don’t want an IPA.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Whiskey works too.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Athletic Free Wave is one of the best NA beers I've ever had. It's only 70 cals.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I do like Modelo when I’m in the mood for cheap beer. Unfortunately, it’s 143 calories and 13.6 grams of carbs per 12 oz. That’s not much better than the Weihenstephaner.

I’ll keep looking!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

A lot of the calories come from the alcohol, so NA beers will always be "lighter" in that sense.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I hate when ppl don’t answer the question so I’ll say: if you mean “light” as in abv, then something like Bells Light Hearted or Founders All Day IPA are perfectly fine but are more IPA based obviously. Light Hearted is only like 3.2% abv.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mahoning posted:

I hate when ppl don’t answer the question so I’ll say: if you mean “light” as in abv, then something like Bells Light Hearted or Founders All Day IPA are perfectly fine but are more IPA based obviously. Light Hearted is only like 3.2% abv.

given that their first question mentioned calories, I assumed it was about calories and not abv :)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

given that their first question mentioned calories, I assumed it was about calories and not abv :)

They go hand in hand. Higher abv = higher calories. Both of those beers are pretty low in calories too. Light hearted is like 110 calories I think?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Paul Proteus posted:

Athletic Free Wave is one of the best NA beers I've ever had. It's only 70 cals.

Athletic Light is 25 cals and not bad at all.

Hopefully getting bought out by a megacorp won’t gently caress em up because I love their stuff.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Hopefully getting bought out by a megacorp won’t gently caress em up because I love their stuff.

Did they buy all of it? I thought Keurig was just a minority stake.

Either way - I do like Athletic but wish they were cheaper. $11/sixer for NA beer is a bit brutal.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Paul Proteus posted:

Did they buy all of it? I thought Keurig was just a minority stake.

Either way - I do like Athletic but wish they were cheaper. $11/sixer for NA beer is a bit brutal.

I signed up for their subscription service. 10% discount with free shipping and you can push back the next delivery as long as you want.

E: obviously not a ton of savings but a little cheaper than buying it at the store

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Athletic has always been pretty corporate in my experience. They raised a lot of investor money on “craft beer + non-alcoholic + shippable.”

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Ogmius815 posted:

Is there a light beer that doesn’t taste like poo poo? I mostly drink weihenstephaner hefe weissbier (when I can find it) but I need to cut calories.

Have you tried Kona Light Blonde Ale? 99 calories a pint, not a stout or IPA so somewhat in the hefeweiss taste range.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

smackfu posted:

Athletic has always been pretty corporate in my experience. They raised a lot of investor money on “craft beer + non-alcoholic + shippable.”

Dealcoholizers are Not Cheap. They know what they're doing and the scale they had to hit to make a dent.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

They did 100k+ bbl last year and are looking to scale to 450k bbl in the near future. Not small at all.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'll +1 to Athletic being solid, and if you get their stuff online they have a good variety of flavors that don't always make it out to brick & mortar stores.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Podima posted:

I'll +1 to Athletic being solid, and if you get their stuff online they have a good variety of flavors that don't always make it out to brick & mortar stores.

Yeah I got the coffee stout in my most recent batch and it’s legit

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Actually I think the only Athletic brew I’ve had so far that I didn’t enjoy was the triple IPA.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
In what dreamland is modelo "cheap"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When six packs of beer now cost $13 at the grocery store for regular stuff

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
$10.49 for High Life bro, poo poo’s getting real

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

y'all alcoholics drinking fake beer instead of just not drinking beer jesus

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

It's true, real alcoholics love NA beer from Athletic beer

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

lament.cfg posted:

It’s possible to do both

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll have you know I absolutely detest NA beer and hop water. When I wanna drink water the last thing I think about is "what if my uncle breathed into every bottle so I have a hint of beer in there "

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Real Bad Uncle vibes itt

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

lament.cfg posted:

I know "I drink my BA barleywine for the taste on a weeknight" is the dontdrinkbeers meme but NA beers are legitimately a really nice compromise versus full nothing. Wings and pizza just taste better with a beer on the side, and there's something to be said for the ritual.

Anyways, nth-ing Athletic as by far the best you're gonna do with your money in the NA beer space. NA Guinness is also shockingly good at replicating the canned Guinness experience and I sorta want to try blind tests on willing participants at some point.

An anti-rec to Gruvi, I was super excited because they had something that purported to be a de-alcoholized Mocha Nitro Stout and it is absolutely vile. Incredibly thready mouthfeel, bitter aftertaste, and way to sweet on the initial sip. It's like drinking someone's homebrew except you paid $15 for a 4pack.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

wodin posted:

Anyways, nth-ing Athletic as by far the best you're gonna do with your money in the NA beer space. NA Guinness is also shockingly good at replicating the canned Guinness experience and I sorta want to try blind tests on willing participants at some point.

Have you tried Untitled Art? Their gose's were great as were the rest of their offerings that I tried. Free shipping after $30 or something like that.

https://www.drinkuntitled.com/products/non-alcoholic-beer/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I always bring a bottle of Pepsi to my one Seinfeld-fan cousin's house because of this.

I brought a cinnamon babka one time but that joke was too expensive.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I brewed a Baltic porter back in December, and we recently put it on tap. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, as I was kinda nervous about it since it was the first time I've done one. We also did a 1/2bbl for the nitro tap and it's dangerously smooth.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

atothesquiz posted:

Have you tried Untitled Art? Their gose's were great as were the rest of their offerings that I tried. Free shipping after $30 or something like that.

https://www.drinkuntitled.com/products/non-alcoholic-beer/

I haven't, I'll grab some the next time I'm at the liquor store!

wodin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Detective Thompson posted:

I brewed a Baltic porter back in December, and we recently put it on tap. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, as I was kinda nervous about it since it was the first time I've done one. We also did a 1/2bbl for the nitro tap and it's dangerously smooth.

Where's the adjuncts!?