Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
If I wanted to use one of the Hellbore guns, which one is "the best"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

And FYI, what I've heard is that 2xxx series Nvidia cards are the most stable, and it's the people with 3xxxx series cards that have a bad time. I have an RTX 2060, and I haven't had a crash or a disconnect since the first beta, sand just one then. My post-launch experience has been solid FPS and rock stable gameplay.

:same:, for everything in this post

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One of the benefits of generic characters is you aren't locked into 1 of each, imagine matchmaking if you could only join 1/4th of the teams out there, adjusted for class popularity, imagine getting a game as veteran.

Gives you the memes of 4 ogyn teams.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think it's entirely possible to make the characters interesting and memorable without their being specific named people.

They didn't really do a great job of it, but it's possible.

e: I think the Zealots and Ogryns stand out pretty well. Veterans are all the same, Psykers are just "the one who says beloved in literally every line" and "the ones that don't say beloved"

megane fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 29, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I understand it's annoying to not be able to play the same class as someone else in your group, but I also don't think that's a deal-breaking limitation for most people.

It is for me. I bounced off of VT hard because I frequently found myself wanting to play characters that simply weren't available.

That and all of the connection issues and bugs and poor progression systems and hey wait a minute

(before somebody breathlessly crashes into the thread to tell me that VT2 solved all of those problems: yes, I know, I'm talking about the original, and I'm talking about how it was at launch)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

If I wanted to use one of the Hellbore guns, which one is "the best"?

Mk III, the Brown one, with the little |_| sights when you ADS.

I prefer the Mk II (the blue one) but I think it doesn't hit hard enough to justify taking it over an XII.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

RNG base stats on weapons is dogshit and lame. I'm looking at two of the same model and type and "mk" of axe, one of them has 180 dmg light attacks the other 90. For what purpose? It's not like you're constantly churning through tons of the things while you level. I'm still using a weapon I found at level 16 on my zealot because it's straight up better than much higher "power level" more recently obtained weapons.

Make perks and blessings and bonuses and whatever on weapons random, not the drat base stats.

Laspistol is a fun weapon.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

megane posted:

I think it's entirely possible to make the characters interesting and memorable without their being specific named people.

e: I think the Zealots and Ogryns stand out pretty well. Veterans are all the same, Psykers are just "the one who says beloved in literally every line" and "the ones that don't say beloved"

I disagree on the vets. You have 3 pretty distinct personalities with reaaally different voices. Professionals are obviously the straight laced guys, and then you have the ones that always trying to desert or steal stuff and then the one that says CADIA all the time and has a really hard edge to the voice. Their dialogue is a lot different and I like that you establish the baseline with the professional knowing all the codes and then the others are just like "Sigma- uh sigma something, gently caress it, hound dead!"

I didn't play VT so I don't know how fun the distinct personalities are, but I think the base of the personalities they have here is pretty good. They just need to introduce more dialogue that builds up on whats in the game. Its getting there, theres some spicy dialogue between some of the classes, and because they have 3 distinct personalities for each class you also have some fun intra-class dialogue too. Someone on reddit saw that there is a dialogue streaming executable which is bringing in new dialogue and stuff from a server somewhere, so I think there is a lot of potential here.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

megane posted:

Loner Psyker, male or female, is up there for some of the best lines in the game imo. I barely hear the beloved voices at all and they do have some good lines but man just the feeling the Loner VA put into their lines is :discourse:

edit: ironically I find Zealot the most hard to differentiate. There's the male fire and brimstone voice and the drunk irish voice for both genders. The rest really don't stand out as much.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The voices absolutely have personality, they also just happen to be faceless individuals. It's great.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
whenever the psyker gets sarcastic or rips on the zealot for not know how to speak high gothic

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the biggest issue with nameless nobody characters is there's almost nothing they can say about themselves individually, which is why 80% of the conversations are just about the NPCs like the pilot or zola who no one cares about. the second biggest issue is that it requires every voice type to respond to every prompt which leads to Oblivion-style "conversations" where characters are basically talking past each other. They're about as well-written and voiced as they possibly could be with these limitations but it'll never be as good as real characters would be with the same writing and VA quality.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

also Loner Psykers are big Melk simps which is even funnier imo.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/294127738774880256/1062913286024204348/I_stan_for_Lord_Darius_Melk.mp4

even better since the male and female loner psykers team up for it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The move from the lively, fun and interesting 5 to these NPCs is inexplicable to me. The voices and characterizations are fine, they're just pretty dull in comparison

Especially because they could have had both - there's the 'canon' vet, space Kruber or whatever, and then every other vet has to be a NPC if someone has already picked space Kruber

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The conversations about barely present NPCs are really dull.

"Do you trust the whatshisface?"
"I think they're blah blah blah who cares"

They should talk more about the world and their experiences. They really need to have 20x the amount of dialogue to keep it interesting.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think all the class personalities are great. The same repeated stories in VT2 got grating. "Elf? ELF? EEEELLLLLFFFF!"

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
yeah nothing in darktide repeats itself. Anyway, have you heard about ratling snipers?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My only complaint is there should be a way to change personalities after creation if you didn't like one.

ENOUGH ABOUT CADIA ALREADY.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I miss Kerillian calling everyone mayflies though

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Pesterchum posted:

yeah nothing in darktide repeats itself. Anyway, have you heard about ratling snipers?

Less often than I've heard about Hogger's Bridge, that's for sure.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My only complaint is there should be a way to change personalities after creation if you didn't like one.

you brought that one upon yourself lol

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why on earth would you want to hear generic context-less banalities repeatedly than actual relationship-derived writing repeatedly.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My favorite bit of dialogue is the shady vet giving the cadia vet poo poo.

"I'm not worried, you'll come apart at the last minute. Like Cadia."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Why on earth would you want to hear generic context-less banalities repeatedly than actual relationship-derived writing repeatedly.

I’d rather have neither, but this is 2023, where if your character doesn’t play a voice line every 3 seconds you’re losing out on twitch views or something

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

the only bonny mutant is a dead mutant :colbert:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

ijyt posted:

I think all the class personalities are great. The same repeated stories in VT2 got grating. "Elf? ELF? EEEELLLLLFFFF!"

I agree this is a flaw in VT2, but I don't think it was corrected in Darktide. You still hear the same stuff a lot, and if you're not hearing the same stuff, you're mostly not hearing anything, or hearing what people described as "talking past" each other where the lines aren't really responses to each other.

If Darktide had both increased the number of personalities AND recorded five or six times as much banter as VT2, it'd be the clear winner imo. But it feels to me like it's the same amount of script as VT2, spread across over twice as many personalities.

megane posted:

I’d rather have neither, but this is 2023, where if your character doesn’t play a voice line every 3 seconds you’re losing out on twitch views or something

A slider for it would be nice, or just a binary option to only hear gameplay callouts and suppress banter

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I just don't get this game sometimes. I had 40 minutes left to kill 15 scabs, and after playing two whole games and one partial I ended up failing the Melk bullshit by... 12 scabs.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYZ9B7N6vHM

authentic Darktide dialogue

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Most of the dialogue that doesnt fit is the intro stuff thats just supposed to be generically about the zone you're in. Theres plenty of cross class and cross-mission giver dialogue that is uniquely sync'd up

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One of the benefits of generic characters is you aren't locked into 1 of each, imagine matchmaking if you could only join 1/4th of the teams out there, adjusted for class popularity, imagine getting a game as veteran.

Gives you the memes of 4 ogyn teams.

They should have made each of the three personalities a premade character. They went part of the way so I don't think it would have been hard.

That way you can get 3 of the same class on a team and still have interesting dialogue.

Plus less chance of running into a carbon copy of yourself (seriously I keep meeting female Fanatic Zealots using the skrillex hairstyle)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
But you'd still run into the issue where you are locked out of joining missions because two people decided to pick the Beloved character.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Jerkface posted:

Most of the dialogue that doesnt fit is the intro stuff thats just supposed to be generically about the zone you're in. Theres plenty of cross class and cross-mission giver dialogue that is uniquely sync'd up

I disagree, we just might have different opinions on what constitutes "plenty". There isn't enough variety for me, and most voices get lost in the sauce. I can parse personalities when I'm playing the character and hearing all their lines all the time, but my teammate's? There's not enough personality variance to make most of them feel like separate fleshed-out characters. It frequently feels like the team is barely associated with each other and indifferent, which is a bummer coming from VT2 where everyone's got a shared history, and carries the vibe of 5 different people reaching a shaky social equilibrium. It's nice in Darktide when you hear something that specifically sounds like it was written as "verbal exchange between Psyker 2 and Ogryn 3 where characterization occurs" but those are few and far between.

And it's not just mission intro where you get "pick two random PCs to deliver two unrelated lines on either end of comms from the Mourningstar NPC," it's elevators, setpieces, etc too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

big cummers ONLY posted:

And it's not just mission intro where you get "pick two random PCs to deliver two unrelated lines on either end of comms from the Mourningstar NPC," it's elevators, setpieces, etc too.

Those are 50/50 - or actually probably 25/75 sync'd / disjointed, I've heard some where one of the archetypes starts off - you get the NPC reaction bit - then one of the other characters reacts specifically to the first character. I do agree they need stronger characterization and dialogue between the characters.

I probably say plenty because i've played like 300 hours of this game, so I've heard a lot of unique dialogue between whatever archetype I picked for my classes and the other voices when I'm playing. Its definitely not ENOUGH, but it does exist. Its not all oblivion NPC dialogue.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Jerkface posted:

Those are 50/50 - or actually probably 25/75 sync'd / disjointed, I've heard some where one of the archetypes starts off - you get the NPC reaction bit - then one of the other characters reacts specifically to the first character. I do agree they need stronger characterization and dialogue between the characters.

I'm not saying it never happens, I'm saying it should sound natural and like a real conversation every time. I shouldn't have 150 hours in the game and feel like I just haven't heard much banter of interest. I know one of the psykers calls the ogryn "Sweet" a lot and that owns, and one of the vets calls him big man. That poo poo is great and there should be stuff like that for every possible two-voice combination in the game. Also... there should be more of it. Even those examples of things I like are undercooked, I feel.

It is subjective to a degree though, so I don't think either of us is wrong, and I could definitely be in the minority here.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

But you'd still run into the issue where you are locked out of joining missions because two people decided to pick the Beloved character.

Just allow multiple copies of the same unique characters and never acknowledge it. The current system already matches us with body doubles and identical personalities/voices. We're gonna find out someone made brain scans of us 5000 years ago and they're just uploading us into clone bodies. Oh god that's how you get back on the ship when you die!!!

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 30, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think all the classes have a term for each of the other classes which is the same regardless of personality.

Psykers call another psyker "sibling", ogryn "sweet brute," zealot "fanatic," and veteran "roughneck."
Ogryns call another ogryn "pal," psykers "sparkhead," zealot "shouty," and veteran "boss."
Zealots call another zealot..."pilgrim" I think? Psykers "witch," ogryn "slab," and veteran "templar."
Veterans call the ogryn "big man" and I dunno what else, everything they say just rolls off my brain like water

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I think the big problem is there is a lot of fun dialogue between the classes and a lot of is unique pairings in the archetypes but almost no long conversations.

The one with the female loner psyker riling up the haughty zealot about high gothic for example, or the professional vet trying to explain warp travel to the ogryn are on the longish side and theyre not even that long.

Theres one where a female guard voice will ask of anyone wants to sing and the male professional voice, almost laughing, tells them gently caress no, and thats great cuz it feels very natural the way its delivered but its like 20.seconds long the entire interaction

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Jerkface posted:

I think the big problem is there is a lot of fun dialogue between the classes and a lot of is unique pairings in the archetypes but almost no long conversations.

The one with the female loner psyker riling up the haughty zealot about high gothic for example, or the professional vet trying to explain warp travel to the ogryn are on the longish side and theyre not even that long.

Theres one where a female guard voice will ask of anyone wants to sing and the male professional voice, almost laughing, tells them gently caress no, and thats great cuz it feels very natural the way its delivered but its like 20.seconds long the entire interaction
Ogryn/Zealot ones are great, sometimes there's an extra Veteran for flavor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk62Ru1l5_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZcjU7RqQ0A

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

edgar_ posted:

I miss Kerillian calling everyone mayflies though

Kerillian asking Bardin for advice on whether or not she made a mistake becoming a Sister of Thorns is great. Bardin knows little about elves, but is an expert on making mistakes.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I think all the classes have a term for each of the other classes which is the same regardless of personality.

Psykers call another psyker "sibling", ogryn "sweet brute," zealot "fanatic," and veteran "roughneck."
Ogryns call another ogryn "pal," psykers "sparkhead," zealot "shouty," and veteran "boss."
Zealots call another zealot..."pilgrim" I think? Psykers "witch," ogryn "slab," and veteran "templar."
Veterans call the ogryn "big man" and I dunno what else, everything they say just rolls off my brain like water

There are a few variations between the personalities. The British-sounding Ogryn calls Veterans "Sah," for example. And my Zealot calls other Zealots "guardian," I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm torn on how to set up my curios as a zealot. I think I'm well settled on the primary stat being health for all of them. +Wounds seems irrelevant, as I cannot remember the last time I was downed without dying, it just doesn't happen. If I go down, I die, because it means the entire team is dead or I'm disabled and nobody is able to help.

+Health is obviously the first choice as a perk to maximize overall survivability. Conventional wisdom is to stack up defense against gunners and snipers. I find that with gunners typically the best choice is to charge them and smash their heads in, which limits the value of reducing their damage dealt. Unchecked snipers usually kill the team long before me, so reducing their damage to me is of questionable utility. That said, I still do have sniper resist on one of my curios, because they're scary.

But then what? 5% toughness seems like the strongest choice, but how far does that 5 points really go? Block efficiency is OK. I don't usually need a lot of extra block power, but when I do, I need a lot of it, yeah? General corruption resistance seems like a solid choice, effective against poxbursters and other assorted Nurgle shits. Revive speed honestly seems like a real contender too. Being the last man standing means a lot of throwing down stun grenades and trying to get the others up.