Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Tell me about it. We had meta-alerts set up specifically to avoid the dozens of billing traps they design into their features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Same, we've got 2 engineers right now focused on how to unfuck things we started doing 5+ years ago that are now costing $$$ in traces and metrics

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

No one wants to tell me how much Splunk costs so I just keep tossing more data in there, hope we don't go bankrupt.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Splunk doesn't care if you go over your allocation, they'll just ream your finance team come renewal time

Mobile teams should really have their own logging budget though, I don't know why but the android and ios teams seem to just give zero fucks, run customer apps in debug 24/7 #yolo

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
Yeah, our pricing is stupid, as most ingest pricing is. The whole game is to find every aspect of every component of hardware that processes your code and find a way to monetize it.

The original question was about silo/bucket access control and retention. Anyone deal with that?

Lucid Nonsense fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 28, 2023

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

cloudbees sucks. can anyone relate or am I alone

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What products does cloudbees offer besides Jenkins enterprise support, out of curiosity. I've never had to deal with them personally

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Methanar posted:

I was no joke half way through writing something positive when pagerduty paged me for the 4th time today.
(For the third time this month. Somebody on the security team pushed out broad changes and walked away without testing or validating poo poo and broke everything leaving me to get called in for it because Kubernetes is the most visible thing to fail. Wasn't even Kubernetes-specific this time - just broke everything that depends on running the base Chef role)

does this stuff not materially impact revenue, or does your leadership just do a poo poo job of incentivizing people to not cause significant outages all the time

FamDav fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 30, 2023

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hadlock posted:

What products does cloudbees offer besides Jenkins enterprise support, out of curiosity. I've never had to deal with them personally
They have a bunch of proprietary/for-pay plugins that help with running core Jenkins at scale. So those are things like project RBAC, gating agents to accepting jobs from certain locations with appropriate RBAC configurations, sub-pipeline usage analytics, etc.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

maybe not the proper place to kvetch but there isn't an o11y thread - i can't get the enterprise to spring for enterprise grafana since the most value-exchanged and paid "feature" we'd get is SSO integration and the 3-year run rate is ~$250k as compared to Free

I hate when OSS precludes adoption by gating enterprise poo poo like security by making SAML/OIDC auth an enterprise-only feature. You sell Support: Compete there!

Junkiebev fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 31, 2023

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

opensearch equivalent of grafana, when??

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Junkiebev posted:

maybe not the proper place to kvetch but there isn't an o11y thread - i can't get the enterprise to spring for enterprise grafana since the most value-exchanged and paid "feature" we'd get is SSO integration and the 3-year run rate is ~$250k as compared to Free

I hate when OSS precludes adoption by gating enterprise poo poo like security by making SAML/OIDC auth an enterprise-only feature. You sell Support: Compete there!

Grafana has been submitted to the SSO Wall of Shame many times, but they don't seem to care.

https://sso.tax/

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
how awful, that companies charge for software

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

Grafana has been submitted to the SSO Wall of Shame many times, but they don't seem to care.

https://sso.tax/

the guy that runs it merges like 2 pr's a year and doesnt seem interested in doing anything more

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

basic security featured shouldn't be gated behind the highest tier plan

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

my homie dhall posted:

they don’t though: they charge for Support (and SSO)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I reverse proxy grafana and run SSO on nginx. As an added bonus the intermediate page lets me set up direct links to useful grafana pages in a coherent way, because leaving users to find anything on the grafana front page is begging for stupid tickets.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
As an employee of another company that has an OSS flagship product we’ve already tried to do business as a primarily support based company for revenue for years similar to how RedHat started. Basically Stallman was completely wrong that companies will pay for improvements to the software as features even under a BSD, GPL, or Apache license. Most are too busy to do much more than integrate something off the shelf and will give up really fast if it doesn’t work 90%+ for their needs. In other cases companies grow wildly and then start building their own proprietary software instead either due to NIH cultural reasons or due to lawyers. And another group will begrudgingly commit some of their modifications back to the upstream. As a result a big chunk of those interested in paying so much for software tend to be non-software companies that have more money than technical resources (almost all allocated to revenue centers and trying constantly to get rid of IT like it’s a horrible ex on the couch that can’t afford another place).

And yeah, you can use stuff like vouch proxy in front of nginx to do a lot of SSO. Much of the upcharge for SSO is because every other group that uses SSO is a horrific Elder God beast of competing solutions and we need to hire for really drat good, experienced support engineers that can not only troubleshoot our stuff but other vendors’ craptastic software and navigate customer political situations effectively. These folks are paid more than senior software engineers at many other companies I know and they deserve every drat penny and then some for putting up with what they do with a smile.

If anyone can figure out how to make an actually scaling, profitable company that gives away all its features in an OSS tier, I’m genuinely interested because I’ve been trying to figure it out for decades now with no success besides “lol, just roll with SaaS subscriptions” which is a bit of a cop-out.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Junkiebev posted:

If you think $250k/yr is expensive, it's not priced for you. It's priced to be cheaper than Datadog. You can, as others have pointed out, run vouch or AWS ALB with OIDC in front of it and probably be fine (idk i haven't looked at what else grafana enterprise is) just for SSO.

$250k/yr is pretty close to the buy vs build split for "do i need to have a junior eng or two to keep this fed and cared for, vs just pay someone"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

The problem is open core with closed corporate governance. It's a deliberately anti-competitive strategy, designed to keep the open-source offering just good enough to put up barriers to legitimate open-source competitors, but not so good that it threatens the company's revenue stream

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

it's fine to charge enterprise prices for enterprise features, IMO

you could switch to aws cloudwatch, which has pay-as-you-go models that are more suitable for startups or small/medium businesses, integrates with AWS' other SSO offerings, and is otherwise at feature parity or advantage with grafana

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sso isn't an enterprise feature

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

FamDav posted:

does this stuff not materially impact revenue

It absolutely does

FamDav posted:

does your leadership just do a poo poo job of incentivizing people to not cause significant outages all the time

What leadership ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
SSO for Facebook, GitHub, and Twitch logins isn’t enterprise-grade but for Google and Okta I’d say it’s enterprise.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

still no

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

I reverse proxy grafana and run SSO on nginx. As an added bonus the intermediate page lets me set up direct links to useful grafana pages in a coherent way, because leaving users to find anything on the grafana front page is begging for stupid tickets.

This is the way

Do not reccomend for logging*, but for grafana it's perfect

*developers leak too much PII to logs regardless of how much you police it

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

Is there any particular guide you used for this?
I think this is actually a good idea and I kind of want to assign it out to somebody.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably if you ask around your QA department has been doing this for years. Here is one, picked at random. The author explicitly mentions grafana

https://medium.com/@hrlimaye/google-oauth2-with-kubernetes-nginx-controller-d7a0a3e62e1b

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Methanar posted:

Is there any particular guide you used for this?
I think this is actually a good idea and I kind of want to assign it out to somebody.

It's easy with AWS ALBs

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

12 rats tied together posted:

it's fine to charge enterprise prices for enterprise features, IMO

you could switch to aws cloudwatch, which has pay-as-you-go models that are more suitable for startups or small/medium businesses, integrates with AWS' other SSO offerings, and is otherwise at feature parity or advantage with grafana
Charging enterprise prices for enterprise features is fine. Deliberately taking steps to make sure the community is unsuccessful in getting community versions of those features into the open source product is where people really ought to be drawing a line on bullshit

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

yea that would be pretty bad if it were a matter of active sabotage. i don't follow grafana oss because i think the whole product is dogshit, but i believe you, and agree

for a while ansible tower was trying to lock certain features into tower instead of awx but they seem to have given up on that at some point, and are instead pursuing a strategy where the oss product is simply undocumented and has no release notes, and they will play dumb with you if you push them on it

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

The Fool posted:

basic security featured shouldn't be gated behind the highest tier plan

interestingly, most business don’t let their customers decide their pricing structures

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

12 rats tied together posted:

for a while ansible tower was trying to lock certain features into tower instead of awx but they seem to have given up on that at some point, and are instead pursuing a strategy where the oss product is simply undocumented and has no release notes, and they will play dumb with you if you push them on it
repeating the tremendous success of Red Hat Network and its enormous open source Spacewalk user community

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

interestingly, most business don’t let their customers decide their pricing structures

sso should be a core feature in any saas product but there is a widespread practice of gating it behind the highest tier plan, many times at a "call us" price

it is a problem

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

saas pricing apologist was not on my bingo card this morning

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

After having an experience in a bigco where getting one SaaS app to have the right Okta configuration took five teams two months, I completely understand why any business supporting SAML/OIDC does not want to open their support teams to tickets about it until the customer has proven they're really invested

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It sucks that SSO is always a paid feature but :capitalism: Large customers can't live without it so of course it's the very first thing product puts on the paid tier roadmap every time.

luminalflux posted:

$250k/yr is pretty close to the buy vs build split for "do i need to have a junior eng or two to keep this fed and cared for, vs just pay someone"

I like a lot of things about my company but this one drives me insane. Their threshold for build over buy is like $2.50 not $250k. We were running a private fork of loving Gitlab for years so engineers could badly hack their favorite features from enterprise edition into it (finally talked them into buying a license). We do over a billion in annual revenue you cheap fucks, cut some checks :argh:

necrobobsledder posted:

In other cases companies grow wildly and then start building their own proprietary software instead due to NIH cultural reasons

hi

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

[...], I completely understand why any business supporting SAML/OIDC does not want to open their support teams to tickets about it until the customer has proven they're really invested

you said it better than i was going to. this stuff sucks rear end to manage and sucks rear end to hire people for. 250k/year is a bargain.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

The Fool posted:

saas pricing apologist was not on my bingo card this morning

gently caress you, pay me. the expectation that good software should be free or available at a “reasonable” price of your choosing is ruinous to our industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I didn’t think like this previously, but then I worked for several SaaS companies and now find it eminently reasonable to remind enterprise customers who want enterprise features to pay for an enterprise license.

Security is great and all but making software costs $$$. I’d still like to see SSO more widespread at cheaper license tiers though!