Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

honda whisperer posted:

What is happening with the jack? It looks like a slip over stool/stand.

https://jackpointjackstands.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

What is happening with the jack? It looks like a slip over stool/stand.

Yep, the jackpoints. They're super convenient in this case, you can jack the rear with the jackpoint, place a flat top stand under the front and repeat on the other side, lift the whole car in two jacks. Only downside is limited ground clearance, but I don't plan on pulling the motor myself if the need arises in this case.

Also they're loving expensive, no way I would have paid retail but I grabbed a used set on Rennlist for relatively cheap. If you bought a full set you might as well just get a Quickjack at that point.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Chunjee posted:

Nice Lexus. wtf were they pulling you over for?

Never stopped me before, not gonna stop me now :whatup:

Suspicion of being black, probably, given Austin suburbs. Or at least poor, since only poor people would drive an ex-cop car, obviously.

STR posted:

The same reason everyone in a beat to poo poo Crown Vic (particularly P71s), and beaters in general, gets pulled over for. "we've had complaints of you driving through neighborhoods slowly, people think you're casin... poo poo YOU'RE A DECENTLY DRESSED WHITE GUY NEVERMIND JUST KIDDING SIR HAVE A NICE DAY BTW YOUR TAILLIGHT IS OUT" (it never was)

Told ya.

STR posted:

Between their finance lady calling me at work and giving me SERIOUS poo poo about my insurance and ID (claimed I only had "forged liability documents" and a "fake expired ID"), and the hell they put me through yesterday, plus their "125 point inspection" missing something incredibly obvious, I'm going to go have a discussion with their GM tomorrow. And threaten to use the 5 day return policy. May as well get under their skin the way they got under mine.

You don't call me at work for this. You especially don't call me threatening to repo the car because you can't loving read.

...if it's a fake ID, why the hell would it be expired?
Sounds like they hired a moron. Man, wish I could be that stupid and still hold a job.

That's a damned good idea.
They can take that price and shove it, though.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
New gear selector handle. Sounds easy but overdrive switch cables run up through. US models have plenty of guides, remove the center armrest/console, unplug and swoon the wires run em out. Reverse and be done.

Well mine has a refrigerator built into the console - no way I’m risking breaking ac lines. So I snipped the wires. There is about 2-3 inches to work with to strip/splice and solder these back after.

My ancient soldering iron just poo poo the bed fought forever. Finally get it all back together and see the gear selector bulb is out. Drive to advance pay $8 for 2 bulbs. Take it back apart.

It was worth it in the end.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Popped a hardwire kit in the FiST for the dashcam. Pretty easy 20 minute job; I didn’t even have to pull any trim. I should have done it earlier instead of trying to remember to plug it in and unplug it every time. The Fiesta has a constant-on 12V socket and I forgot to unplug it a couple of times which filled the SD card right up.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Bought new track tires. I got 8 days out of my RS4s, but one is showing a couple cords on a shoulder and the rest aren't far behind. The new Kumho V730 looks to be around NT01 pace, longer lived than most fast 200TW tires but unclear on lifetime overall, and very cheap: I got this set for $175/each from Simpletire, 20% cheaper than Discount or Tire Rack. Installed on my 9.5" wheels today, but I'm not expecting to drive on them until mid March. I'm trying to figure out if I can fit more tire under the car without exceeding the fender limits, but for now I have a fresh set of 275s to drive on.

The outside half tread pattern is about 2/32" deep, and won't last long. I wonder how many people are going to buy this expecting an actual street tire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

heffray posted:

I wonder how many people are going to buy this expecting an actual street tire.

I thought one bought those for the fig leaf of "I'm not running track tires on tail of the dragon....see these totally have a DOT sticker?".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Modern 200tw tires are a lie lmao. GRM tested the Yoko A052 to be a second off a fuckin Hoosier R7 on a 1m30s track a few months ago... and the Bridgestone RE71RS is neck and neck with the A052 as-is. 100tw GY Supercar 3R is pretty much on pace with the R7.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Because round one of polishing these giant rear end headlights didn't take.

Round one. 3 discs of 500 and 3 discs of 800

Round two, fight!

Curbside done

Street side, before

7 500 discs later

4 800s, followed by wet 1000, wet 3000 then buffing.

Gotta pull em back out for a coat of plastic clear paint. That should seal em for 3-5 years like the farm truck's lights were.
These housings are terminally hosed and pretty much on hospice. Much like the farm trucks they only have to last a couple years till I get around to replacing the entire housing with a led retrofit.
It took a few hours for round two. I do not like these enormous housings.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Scored a Mishimoto exhaust for the FiST at a reasonable price from the eBay and got it put on today in about 50 minutes. It’s pretty quiet compared to the clips I’d heard on YouTube but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, I guess.

I sweat the tips are level!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The few Mishimoto bits I have are nice. Good score.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The saga of sisyphus' 7.3 continues. In a hilarious cascading failure I found out that the couple instances I've seen of truck forum posters saying that the 7.3 motor mounts allow the inner to slide back inside the rubber isolator independent of the outer are true.

I've had the transmission off this thing enough times that tilting the motor back without checking caused some movement, which is exactly what those posters warn about.

Additionally I've found out that there is no number at the parts counter that will get you the correct bolts to attach the transmission mount to the ZF6 extension housing. The 4R100 is pretty much all metric but the two bolts securing the mount to it and the 5R110 in the 6.0's are 1/2-13. Hilariously you can thread a 1/2-13 bolt into the roughly 30mm of M12x1.75 threaded hole provided in the ZF6 extension housing but depending on how hosed the threads are from someone before you it may or may not actually bottom out and create underhead torque before the difference in thread pitch and diameter causes it to stop. I now understand the multitude of posts I've seen about "ZF6 transmission mount bolts coming loose." I'd guess probably half of them in existence are running around with the wrong fasteners.

In my case the drivers side bolt clamped a bit and the passenger side bolt didn't do much of anything. I guess somebody decided to spring for some new incorrect bolts at the parts counter in the last couple decades. I mean, fair enough. It's a used full size truck. I should have assumed that everything would be hosed from the PO.

Well, it somehow didn't break the extension housing and the threads miraculously feel ok to a tap so a couple M12x1.75 flange bolts later and no issues with the threads with them torqued to spec.

The next bit of the cascading failure is that the transmission mount is the only thing other than friction that stops the inner part of the motor mount from moving backwards with the rest of the engine. Stick a light up next to the oil cooler and sure enough I can see the rust line witness mark where the inner bit has been lined up inside the isolator for 300k miles.

Couple ratchet straps running up to the engine crossmember and hooked around the transmission mount with the nuts off the studs so it can slide on the transmission crossmember, carrier bearing bracket loosened up, a lot of cups of coffee, and a couple cigarettes, and I successfully moved everything back forward about 3/8 of an inch.

The difference in NVH is astounding.

After all that bullshit I forgot I had promised my brother to slap 4 quick struts on his rusty old Camry so he stopped by and honestly it was kinda nice to just listen to a podcast and cut sway bar links off with an angle grinder instead of laying on my back praying that my ratchet straps didn't break.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yerok posted:

honestly it was kinda nice to just listen to a podcast and cut sway bar links off with an angle grinder instead of laying on my back praying that my ratchet straps didn't break.

:stonk:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

Round one. 3 discs of 500 and 3 discs of 800

Round two, fight!

Curbside done

Street side, before

7 500 discs later

4 800s, followed by wet 1000, wet 3000 then buffing.

Gotta pull em back out for a coat of plastic clear paint. That should seal em for 3-5 years like the farm truck's lights were.
These housings are terminally hosed and pretty much on hospice. Much like the farm trucks they only have to last a couple years till I get around to replacing the entire housing with a led retrofit.

What do you use for the clear coat? I've heard of actually using 2K autobody clear, but that's a fairly expensive option - should be fairly hardy, though, and obviously UV resistant.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

What do you use for the clear coat? I've heard of actually using 2K autobody clear, but that's a fairly expensive option - should be fairly hardy, though, and obviously UV resistant.

You can get 2k USC Spraymax off amazon for $23. Even then, you can get a quart of clear with hardener for around $60.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 7, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Just a rattlecan for plastics

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yerok posted:

Couple ratchet straps running up to the engine crossmember and hooked around the transmission mount with the nuts off the studs so it can slide on the transmission crossmember, carrier bearing bracket loosened up, a lot of cups of coffee, and a couple cigarettes, and I successfully moved everything back forward about 3/8 of an inch.

The difference in NVH is astounding.

After all that bullshit I forgot I had promised my brother to slap 4 quick struts on his rusty old Camry so he stopped by and honestly it was kinda nice to just listen to a podcast and cut sway bar links off with an angle grinder instead of laying on my back praying that my ratchet straps didn't break.

So uh, you have life insurance, right?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

I just finished off my lights this morning. I used Chemical Guys headlight restorer a couple weeks ago, it was ok, like 70% of the haze was gone. So I hit it up again with some 2000 & 2500 wet sanding and more of the headlight restorer but there were still a couple hazy streaks that didn't seem like they were going to go away but they were still better. Today I hit it with some Meguiars Keep Clear and that made the streaks vanish. gently caress yeah.

Before:

After

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Lights look good!! drat good

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

STR posted:

So uh, you have life insurance, right?

I made it sound more dramatic than it was. Those straps weren't holding anything up, the transmission mount was still on the crossmember. There's just no way to get a bar behind the transfer case and apply enough force without breaking something. I was only praying cause I didn't want to unwrap the protective packing blanket cocoons from each of the straps or pull the transmission to get clearance to replace the mounts if this bullshit didn't work.

Also as a Wisconsinite I don't think I've ever successfully removed a nut from an OEM sway bar stud that doesn't have any holding hex or flats.

e: now if you're asking that because a decade of working on powerstrokes has caused my mental state to deteriorate to the point that I enjoy a rust belt suspension job then fair enough

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 8, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So you have at least our mods named in your life insurance, right? :v:

e: gently caress it, I'll do the rest tomorrow.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 9, 2023

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Small fun bits on the R. The center caps were mismatched - two black and two silver - when I brought it home, so now they are all matchy matchy.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Took a tire in to the shop to get a flat fixed and they told me I have a cracked rim. loving jag wants 1200 for a new rim, did some light googling and found the OE (Venom) and ordered direct from them for a third the price.

Dealers really try to screw you don't they.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Well at least you don't need a new tire.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sound symposer delete on the FiST:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A what delete?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I'm assuming it's the equivalent to VW's soundaktor engine noise thing?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A what delete?

Sound symposer. “Fake” noise that gets piped into the cabin. It’s technically real noise though, allowed to pass through a pressure-controlled valve as opposed to a digital system.

It’s a potential failure point in a pressurized part of the system and I’d rather just hear the natural noise of the engine and exhaust.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ah, I thought it was maybe something like that. Symposer is just such an odd word. I guess it shows just how well sound insulated modern cars are that they need speakers and such so you can hear the engine.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

First oil change on my new to me 80. This had sat a really long time in Japan so no ideawhen last changed. When I saw where the oil filter is on the 1HDT I was like so easy yes. Of course nothing I could do would budge it. Off to Napa and they were out of any contraption big enough, got a strap wrench from ideology’s that instantly frayed and broke once I gave it any tension.

Eventually got my ancient claw type wrench hammered on and a pip on the shock tower for leverage.

But then I miscalculated how much oil I needed, dug a gallon is only 4 quarts so my two gallons and extra quart were not enough. Takes 9.6 total. But they took the strap wrench back and it was the same price as an extra quart of Rotella.

So much for my east ten minute oil change I had planned.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Got the doors fixed with new bottoms and covered in epoxy primer. Cut the driver's side rocker out to find that whoever replaced it before put the inner rocker in upside down somehow. They cut it all up, and made a mess of it. New rockers are on the way. Then we can patch the quarters and we'll be close to stripping and painting.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did the valve cover on my M3. It was gushing oil and causing a smoke show.

https://i.imgur.com/imlJV9b.mp4

That really doesn't do it justice.

Covers and charge pipes off. I've done the spark plugs a couple times so this is pretty fast and I did it before the game yesterday and finished today.

You have to "remove" the charge cooler to get at some of the bolts for the fuel rail. Just putting a block under it gets it out of the way enough without having to drain coolant.

Back side of the fuel rail

Valve cover ready to come off. You have to pull the fuel rail, coil packs, and wiring to get to where it comes off. It was a bitch to get loose and then it dropped a bunch of grit inside when I finally got it off.

You can see where it was dumping oil

New cover on

All back together

The gasket was in bad shape. It was like this in multiple spots. The PCV on these likes to clog and blow out the gasket. It's integrated into the valve cover so you just get to do the whole thing. Only a mere $700 for the part. ///M tax baby :homebrew:

Seems good so far. There's always the worry about rolling the gasket but I think I got it!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Finally got the last of my front end ripped out. Finally bought a 4 lb. sledge and got the axle free of the hub. You can see the splines are still wet. Deep Creep is some good poo poo, but you have to let it work, maybe for a week or two.

I ordered a complete front end kit from Rockauto, and that's just as well because every component is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Not pictured: the pivots on the upper control arm that barely move anymore

Got the axle out of the transmission. I literally ripped the bearings out of the races (I think that's the nomenclature) before the end stuck in the transmission came out. Fortunately a pry bar and the aforementioned 4 lb. sledge popped it out because the subframe and gearbox shape mean I can't get the tuning forks in like I did on the driver's side.

Also the grease is very milky and probably totally hosed.

The real :pwn: has to be the hubs. The driver's side is gravelly and not great, but the passenger side...well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO2_z5Rchl0

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Is that the side you had to hammer on? They usually don't like that at all. I basically assume if I have to hammer an axle out of a bearing, both are probably getting replaced.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

fknlo posted:

The gasket was in bad shape. It was like this in multiple spots. The PCV on these likes to clog and blow out the gasket. It's integrated into the valve cover so you just get to do the whole thing. Only a mere $700 for the part. ///M tax baby :homebrew:

When I had that Equinox, the PCV situation was the same. I hosed the PCV valve itself down with throttle body cleaner because I wasn't about to spend $400 on an SUV that I didn't care about.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kastein posted:

Is that the side you had to hammer on? They usually don't like that at all. I basically assume if I have to hammer an axle out of a bearing, both are probably getting replaced.

I had to beat the poo poo out of both of them. Nothing about those axles was compliant. I guess the passenger side just took it a little harder. I'm not even upset about it really, all these components are cheap and a 100% fresh front end should be pretty amazing after years of decline. The Integra was and is a fine little driver's car but it all gets a bit wooly after all this time.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
OK, this is a really dumb question but I have to ask: the new control arm has a blue cap over the ball joint. I assume this is just to protect the rubber bits in shipping and should be removed before installation?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

OK, this is a really dumb question but I have to ask: the new control arm has a blue cap over the ball joint. I assume this is just to protect the rubber bits in shipping and should be removed before installation?

Yep. Leave it on until you're ready to pop the taper into the upright. It's there to protect the boot during shipping AND installation. Would really suck to swap all that only to find that you nicked the rubber boot while whanging the thing on.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That makes sense, thank you :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Popped some new wheels on the R. I prefer smaller wheels all things being equal, so hopefully these 17’s will be a little better riding than the 18” Pegasus, as well as being a little lighter.

Also popped a metal under tray on. The R’s for some reason don’t have one, which seems like a bad idea. This IPD unit has an air scoop as well as cutouts for the drain plug and oil filter.

Hard to see it, but it fits perfectly.