Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Iki island is best cleared as soon as it opens imo unless you’re gonna do a ng+ run with the new toys you get if you do it.

And anyone who says “bu-bu-but there’s a plot hole if you play it that way” just didn’t pay attention to the literal next piece of dialogue where Jin admits he was totally bullshitting to try and save his own rear end :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Rental Sting posted:

Loved Tsushima and was hyped to play the iki island DLC. Unfortunately it costs 30 bux to upgrade to the ps5 director's cut from the ps4 base game. Seems unreasonable!

If you still want to try it, the dlc is included in the ps plus release that's free right now.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I didn't go when I first found it cause it said something like "the enemies are tough and you can't leave for a while" and that spooked me.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I did, and from what I remember there was a mission where you have to save one out of two captives, with two shamans at least to deal with.

I didn't wanna lower the difficulty even after a couple dozen attempts so I just kinda left it there once another game caught my attention.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

FireWorksWell posted:

Bender did his best.

I guess it's a little better than his Puerto Rican hooker robot voice

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

ArmTheHomeless posted:

If you still want to try it, the dlc is included in the ps plus release that's free right now.

drat, didn't realize it was so cheap to upgrade from essential to premium.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I completed NORCO! Very cool game with amazing visuals and ideas and lots of very good writing and also lots of “too much” writing, like all the flowery optional stuff of KRZ but they made it mandatory, also a few annoying bugs including one near the end where every time I visited a character I wouldn’t be able to leave and I had to start from the beginning of an annoying boat section. Generally wish it could have been longer but what is there is pretty excellent if not a patch on KRZ

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

haveblue posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^ Sounds right, it's the best-feeling gamepad shooter I've ever played but I've never tried it on mouse/keyboard

Right now if you want to play Destiny 2 you can buy (current prices on PSN US store):

-The base game (free). Obviously you need this whatever else you decide to get.
-The Forsaken pack ($20). This is roughly half the content in the original year 2 expansion, the other half has been deleted. Skippable
-Shadowkeep ($25). This is the year 3 expansion. Nothing has been deleted, but it's not important to the current story or meta
-Beyond Light ($30, or free in Feb apparently). This is the year 4 expansion. The main notable thing it gives you is a fourth subclass, and the raid is pretty fun.

All of the above can also be bought as a bundle for $60

-The Witch Queen ($40). This is the year 5 expansion and the current content. You can pay more for the season pass, but that's not a good investment since it will give you 12 months of content and about 1 month to do it before it gets retired. The seasonal content for the previous years is no longer available.
-Lightfall ($40-$100). This is the upcoming expansion and optional season pass.

So the base game (free) and PS+ Beyond Light (also free) is a decent introduction to the game. That might hold you until Lightfall is released and you can spend $40-$100 getting in on the ground floor of year 6.

Nothing before Witch Queen is a good buy for a brand new player. Witch Queen itself is good but the entire population is about to move on to the new hotness. You don't have to buy every last piece of content available until you're sure you're invested in the game for the long term.

You're defending the mmo by describing exactly how skippable the majority of the content is

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

You're defending the mmo by describing exactly how skippable the majority of the content is

I’m saying it is not true that you have to spend $300 to play it

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I beat TOEM, which was a PS+ game at some point, with my son and I recommend it a lot. It's a super chill game about taking photographs and doing small errands for people. Very cute and relaxing to vibe to.

I've also been playing Fallout 76 which is... just bafflingly bad. Like, small spoilers, once you leave the vault the immediate quest chain is just some small potatoes quests straight from the early 90s. There's absolutely no sense of urgency, story hook, or even direction as to why you should even try. This is aside from the ridiculous bugginess of the game even years in. Multiple crashes and quest interactables broken until a hard reload. Just bafflingly bad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
that quest chain didn't exist at first, btw. there were no humans because everyone was dead. there were barely any npcs you could speak to. and god was it (much more) buggy.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Brother I don’t know what you expected going in to F76

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

haveblue posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^ Sounds right, it's the best-feeling gamepad shooter I've ever played but I've never tried it on mouse/keyboard

Right now if you want to play Destiny 2 you can buy (current prices on PSN US store):

-The base game (free). Obviously you need this whatever else you decide to get.
-The Forsaken pack ($20). This is roughly half the content in the original year 2 expansion, the other half has been deleted. Skippable
-Shadowkeep ($25). This is the year 3 expansion. Nothing has been deleted, but it's not important to the current story or meta
-Beyond Light ($30, or free in Feb apparently). This is the year 4 expansion. The main notable thing it gives you is a fourth subclass, and the raid is pretty fun.

All of the above can also be bought as a bundle for $60

-The Witch Queen ($40). This is the year 5 expansion and the current content. You can pay more for the season pass, but that's not a good investment since it will give you 12 months of content and about 1 month to do it before it gets retired. The seasonal content for the previous years is no longer available.
-Lightfall ($40-$100). This is the upcoming expansion and optional season pass.

So the base game (free) and PS+ Beyond Light (also free) is a decent introduction to the game. That might hold you until Lightfall is released and you can spend $40-$100 getting in on the ground floor of year 6.

Nothing before Witch Queen is a good buy for a brand new player. Witch Queen itself is good but the entire population is about to move on to the new hotness. You don't have to buy every last piece of content available until you're sure you're invested in the game for the long term.

LOL I've been poo poo-talking Destiny since the first one as the biggest grift in gaming. As much as I hate Bungie, I had no idea it was still this bad. What a loving joke.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Destiny 2 is really good yall

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I had a lot of fun playing to the end of whatever the campaign was in Destiny 2 when I stopped (I think it was when Nathan Fillion's character died) and then when I looked up what you're supposed to do I saw people keeping spreadsheets of dailies you're supposed to grind for multiple currencies and never played it again

But still, a pretty good 20ish hours to do the story stuff and enjoy some incredibly smooth FPS gunplay while hearing things like 'guardian, the light is under attack on phobos'

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Kazzah posted:

Brother I don’t know what you expected going in to F76

I mean Fallout 4 at least had a strong story hook in the beginning. 76 just starts out like "yeah I guess go do something sure why not"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

drat, a game with expansions…. what a grift

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Destiny 2 is really good yall

Yeah. You can just buy the newest content and play as well. There's not really any need to buy all the previous expansions.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I just finished Last of Us Part 1! The characters and story are top notch (I was convinced Joel would pull a self sacrifice and super loved this ending instead. Probably among the most impactful last lines of a game I’ve played.) but I’m mixed on the gameplay itself. When I was just vibing and exploring in the environments or doing basic stealth stuff it was great, but the gunplay seemed kinda weak as was the overall variety of encounters (a lot of similarly large, open spaces with conveniently placed boxes, and the way you stealth the last encounter is basically unchanged from the way you do the first).

Overall enjoyed it and am looking forward to Part Two (and also the show, which I’m now allowed to watch).

(Edit: who loves to overuse parentheses? Me!)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The gameplay was pretty good for 2013 but they didn't touch it at all with the remake so it's kind of a weird combination of looking incredibly modern and feeling quite dated. I do appreciate the gyro aiming though, it makes headshots much easier. If Naughty Dog wants to remake more games I wouldn't complain about the original Uncharted trilogy remade for current gen with gyro aiming.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The dead space remake is good

They changed just enough things in just enough places that my vague memories of the original’s map and mission structure are no guide at all and I can’t anticipate things as well as I expected.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

do they still do content vaulting in destiny 2? that poo poo sucks

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Real hurthling! posted:

Its probably just not your genre.
What did you like playing recently?

last handful of games i played were:
gow ragnarok, which was mostly agonizing except for the combat and odin
neon white, which is amazing and fantastic and there's basically nothing i have to complain about
tunic, which is amazing but a bit slow

dead space doesn't really do any one thing better than any other game out there.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think you’re looking at the game somewhat weird because the main value prop of the game should be it’s gameplay and then it’s art direction.

i mean, i don't necessarily disagree. but the gameplay really boils down to "save your bullets and shoot the zombies ONLY in the arms/legs"

people complain that doom eternal, one of the best games of the last five/ten years, is too prescriptive with how you kill enemies, but dead space basically demands that you only kill enemies in one very specific way no matter what. and the game disincentivizes using other weapons throughout the entire game, which just using anything other than the starter weapon feel like you're cheating yourself out of some developer intended experience. it just all feels confused and narrow. which, to me, equals boring.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It’s basically a horror themed Metroidvania

this could be a good reason why i don't like it? i don't think i've ever finished a metroidvania game ever.

Augus posted:

survival horror is about creating tension through fight or flight responses, you need to balance the immediate danger with your long-term success and make decisions under pressure. if that doesn't appeal to you, you probably won't find much to enjoy about Dead Space beyond the atmosphere of the Ishimura, the horror comes from the game mechanics more than anything

also there's a map screen

yeah, i think you nailed the description of how a survival horror balances short and longterm play. i guess when it comes to games i've really enjoyed recently (souls games, doom eternal, returnal, celeste, neon white), they all prioritize short term precision divided into chunks of gameplay that don't really need the player to prioritize the long game? for better or worse, you can perform dreadfully against any boss in souls or doom eternal, and there's no real huge repercussion for that bc you basically start from scratch every time you die or use a checkpoint or whatever.

also the map is dreadful and i hate looking at it or using it. just too slow and cumbersome and provides little more than me just clicking R3 to see which way to go.

Rageaholic posted:

I don't get scared easily and Dead Space remake has been scaring me :shobon: I'm playing on medium difficulty, though, so when I shoot an enemy several times but it still hasn't died yet and I've run out of ammo, I'm like "oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress". I've definitely been enjoying it so far. I find the R3 locator thing helpful and I wish more games had something similar. I really dig Dead Space's whole UX (or lack thereof).

i do enjoy the way this game presents the single fixed camera thing WAY more than the god of war games did it. especially since the HUD and everything else is all part of the game world, unlike gow. but yeah to me it's not exciting or motivating to basically render my game "useless" bc i wasted all my bullets on one encounter which creates a "point of no return."

i played the original dead space when it first came out and had to stop playing because i was at a point where i was out of ammo/health and my save file had me at a point where i couldn't get past some tough encounter. i think i posted about it in this forum in whatever thread was the equivalent of this one at the time, and people were like "well yeah you should have been leveling health instead of ammo capacity" or something. which is fine advice, but it sucks when you pour a bunch of hours into a game only to be told you have to start at the beginning looking at you, too, disco elysium

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If you liked neon white and tunic then i would suggest you play nex machina

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fifteen of Many posted:

I just finished Last of Us Part 1! The characters and story are top notch (I was convinced Joel would pull a self sacrifice and super loved this ending instead. Probably among the most impactful last lines of a game I’ve played.) but I’m mixed on the gameplay itself. When I was just vibing and exploring in the environments or doing basic stealth stuff it was great, but the gunplay seemed kinda weak as was the overall variety of encounters (a lot of similarly large, open spaces with conveniently placed boxes, and the way you stealth the last encounter is basically unchanged from the way you do the first).

Overall enjoyed it and am looking forward to Part Two (and also the show, which I’m now allowed to watch).

I've been playing game 1 a bunch and am now replaying game 2. There's definitely a greater variety of enemies and more elaborate areas to work with in the 2nd game. As mentioned, even though it's "remade" on PS5 the gameplay is identical to the PS3 original and there was only so much that console's 256 megs of RAM could do. On top of the greater variety of enemies in Part 2 you also have situations where you have both infected and human enemies together, and you can get them to fight each other, although this is also something that's done in a very limited capacity in the Part 1 Left Behind DLC.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

If you liked neon white and tunic then i would suggest you play nex machina

never even heard of this until your post. i really loved resogun and returnal. this is def going on my wishlist. thanks!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, Nex Machina absolutely rules.

I can definitely get someone being underwhelmed by Dead Space if they aren’t super into the space horror setting. Take away that theme and it’s just kind of a dumbed down RE4.

But I love sci-fi horror, so…

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 30, 2023

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I tried Destiny 2 on ps4 with a couple friends two years ago. The game took up an incredible amount of space on the hard drive and it took a long time to figure out wtf we were supposed to do. Most of the missions or quests seemed to amount to going and shooting the poo poo out of an energy orb, or something. I felt embarrassed for recommending it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Fifteen of Many posted:

Tlou2 is much much better, it has great combat and movement, and a dodge mechanic that really changes the combat in a good way. I played tlou2 first, because I’d played a bit of the remaster on PS4, but couldn’t get into it because I’m awful at stealth games and yeah the combat felt weird to me, but once I saw the gameplay trailer for 2 and read about all of the lame backlash because of the leaked plot of 2, I decided to get it and loved it. I tried going back to the remaster a couple times but I couldn’t get used to the old controls and dropped it, but when the remake came out I finally played it and got used to the controls somewhat quickly and finished it and loved it. I still wish it had tlou2’s updated controls, and I’m not sure why they didn’t, but the changes in enemy AI helped quite a bit.

But yeah, I had like very little interest in Factions because of all that, but I’m very excited for the new multiplayer mode, assuming it will have the same moveset that you have in part 2.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

drat, a game with expansions that stop working after an arbitrary amount of time…. what a grift

:hai:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
As a destiny dabbler I don't care about the old content going away or whatever. I've already seen it. The game is gaas. Play the new content or gently caress off freeloader.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So my wife really likes Gran Turismo’s car Livery system. And every time I unlock or purchase some cute car she just has to go at it. This is her best yet:

Just don’t let her drive it though…

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1619879035609440257?s=46&t=h8mRZI59SJO7BmDEXFPetA

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

imhotep posted:

But yeah, I had like very little interest in Factions

:catstare:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

uncharted 2 multiplayer basically changed my life. sunk many many happy (and frustrated... why is everyone ignoring the idol?!) hours of playtime into that mode. uncharted 3 mp i remember wasn't quite as good but still great and enough to keep me hooked for tons more hours.

but i never even for a little bit felt like the last of us gameplay would translate well to mp and never had any interest or motivation to play factions :shrug:

i AM however excited (and optimistically hopeful) about this new factions 2.0 game. tlou2's combat is hella satisfying and i can see myself enjoying an mp mode of that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

uncharted 2 multiplayer basically changed my life. sunk many many happy (and frustrated... why is everyone ignoring the idol?!) hours of playtime into that mode. uncharted 3 mp i remember wasn't quite as good but still great and enough to keep me hooked for tons more hours.

but i never even for a little bit felt like the last of us gameplay would translate well to mp and never had any interest or motivation to play factions :shrug:

i AM however excited (and optimistically hopeful) about this new factions 2.0 game. tlou2's combat is hella satisfying and i can see myself enjoying an mp mode of that.

you missed out on the best multiplayer game ever made

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Factions is great

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blind Rasputin posted:

So my wife really likes Gran Turismo’s car Livery system. And every time I unlock or purchase some cute car she just has to go at it. This is her best yet:

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1619879035609440257?s=46&t=h8mRZI59SJO7BmDEXFPetA

hell yeah

Do you upload her liveries?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Factions seems cool, genuinely unique stuff going on that managed to feel like what a tlou mp should be. I enjoyed the little bit I played back in the day but any mp game without near instant respawns is a pass for me. I didn’t enjoy it enough to stick with it. The executions are gloriously brutal though A++

Blind Rasputin posted:

Your wife rules and is very talented :D

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Factions is great

Picture me giving you numerous gifts rn and they're all molotovs :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

you missed out on the best multiplayer game ever made

yeah but one of these days bioware will finally listen to the masses and re-release the mass effect three multiplayer :shepface: