Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's even worse than that, he modded the pregnancy test to add an LCD screen and a CPU to it (but yeah it's still just a monitor)

It's even worse than that, he modded the pregnancy test to add an LCD screen and a CPU to it (but yeah it's still just a monitor)

They aren't a he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
To continue Doom chat, you can run Doom inside Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6hnQ1RKhbo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

big black turnout posted:

They aren't a he

My bad, I was just repeating the gender mentioned in the video :tipshat:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
foone is a pro follow btw if you're interested in nerdy old tech stuff and long meandering twitter threads full of digressions
https://twitter.com/Foone/
https://digipres.club/@foone (mastodon)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

So what's the scuttlebutt on diablo 4?

I thought 1 sucked, loved 2, hated 3 sooo things are looking up!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SilvergunSuperman posted:

So what's the scuttlebutt on diablo 4?

I thought 1 sucked, loved 2, hated 3 sooo things are looking up!

So far it looks like D2 with a ton of micro transactions.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

I'm looking for a long game to play while bedridden with covid recovery and so far I'm leaning towards finishing Persona 5, playing Final Fantasy 7 for the first time (not the remake) or playing The Last Of Us because the show is cool. Which one of these popular things is the least bad?

That's just a quesadilla with extra steps!!

Don't play the last of us, I haven't seen the show but it's probably more entertaining. My opinion of both tlou and tlou2 and uncharted for that matter is that if nobody had introduced them to me as "groundbreaking" or "best of their generation" level games, I certainly wouldn't have come to that conclusion naturally.

Naughty dog should just make movies.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Last of Us is a better TV show than video game. Yeah. 100%.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Last of Us 1 and 2 are really fun action games, number 2 easily has the best stealth-action gameplay ever in its combat segments.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Actually they're really bad and not fun at all

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Tricking people into playing TLOU should be a probatable offense tbh

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Nothing really comes close to the stealth action combat of number 2

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I remembered that I don't like stealth games, so I started playing FF7 but after about 30 minutes I decided it would be more fun to start up the FF7 remake again and just look at pretty environments. That game has a really cool aesthetic but man the gameplay is pretty dull. I at least powered through friendship building with aerith in the sewers and now I'm doing the don corneo part. I don't know how to accurately describe the feeling FF7R gives me but it's sort of like: I want to like it but it feels like it's always trying to propel me forward through the story when all I really want to do is wander around cool environments and grind monsters JRPG-style. Also the FOV is way too zoomed in to properly appreciate the environments.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 31, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

all I really want to do is wander around cool environments and grind monsters JRPG-style.

well jeez you shouldve just played ff7 then

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

But the environments are all hideous in FF7 and the combat pacing is so absurdly slow it's painful to play. I've never played a JRPG that didn't have a way to fast-forward through combat, either built in like Bravely Default or via an emulator. I don't want to play ff7 on an emulator though because I feel like laying in bed playing a game

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah the saddest part about FF7R for me was how they didn't let you explore Midgar. That's what I wanted ever since I played the original. The technology more than exists for that now, but they went with the standard lovely Squaresoft design and made the whole game just a series of long corridors. They could have made the part where you're climbing over the rooftops with Aerith into a cool platforming section where you actually have to figure out how to get through but instead it's just a matter of walking to the edge of things and pressing X. I don't really care about the dumb story changes, it's the wasted potential that kills me.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
agree agree agree. Remake feels horrible in the same way that 10 onward did. Corridors.

I been playing Elevator Action Returns on Sega Saturn and it has better combat than the last of us 1-4.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

tango alpha delta posted:

I spun up my PS3 and started to replay one of the finest games ever made for the system.

God of War 3 is still the best God of War.

seriously, go ahead and replay it. GOW 3 Kratos would kick the poo poo out of God of War 2018 and Ragnarock Kratos. It's not even close.

I was thinking about this the other day and I want to say 2 is better. Even though 3 is really good it started to get a little too ridiculous and samey at times. I know the point of God of War is over the top violence but somehow 2 seems more grounded. I also like the weapons and spells in 2 over 3 and even like the enemies better.

I think the graphics are better in 2 since I'm not a fan of "realistic graphics" that always make poo poo so dark. Don't get me wrong, 3 looked great and probably still does.

I haven't played either in many years but I remember having more fun with 2 when I LPed the trilogy even if I can't really articulate it.

Totally agree the old Kratos is so much better than new and I haven't even touched the new ones. The combat always looked so much worse than the trilogy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The combat of the new games actually takes some effort and awareness on the harder difficulties whereas I beat all the OG titles on Titan/their hardest difficulties by basically just memorizing attack patterns and getting a wack or two in when you can. Parts like the very last big fight in GoWIII where you're on the cube face just fighting wave after wave is just about pure patience while using a very limited moveset and like, two of the weapons at most. You have to get really good at the game but it's not like the new GoWs where you win by busting out some wild synergies and combos while juggling stagger and healthbar damage.

Which isn't to say that the OG games didn't have some chunky, satisfying combat, they are just fundamentally far simpler to play well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

But the environments are all hideous in FF7 and the combat pacing is so absurdly slow it's painful to play. I've never played a JRPG that didn't have a way to fast-forward through combat, either built in like Bravely Default or via an emulator. I don't want to play ff7 on an emulator though because I feel like laying in bed playing a game

The FF7 remaster on the Switch and, idk steam deck :v:, have built in 4x frameskip! I think its normal price is like $15.

or the ps vita, if you are the type of g*mer who loves life

As for the environments being hideous, yes. But some are really great, too! It's like the monster designs, once in a while you get individually-modeled braids, or dinosaurs and poo poo. and then you have the ones that are just "abstract robots and animals made of distended cylinders"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 31, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Fur20 posted:

As for the environments being hideous, yes. But some are really great, too! It's like the monster designs, once in a while you get individually-modeled braids, or dinosaurs and poo poo. and then you have the ones that are just "abstract robots and animals made of distended cylinders"

I will give FF7R credit for fully leaning into Hell House

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

limp_cheese posted:

I was thinking about this the other day and I want to say 2 is better. Even though 3 is really good it started to get a little too ridiculous and samey at times. I know the point of God of War is over the top violence but somehow 2 seems more grounded. I also like the weapons and spells in 2 over 3 and even like the enemies better.

I think the graphics are better in 2 since I'm not a fan of "realistic graphics" that always make poo poo so dark. Don't get me wrong, 3 looked great and probably still does.

I haven't played either in many years but I remember having more fun with 2 when I LPed the trilogy even if I can't really articulate it.

Totally agree the old Kratos is so much better than new and I haven't even touched the new ones. The combat always looked so much worse than the trilogy.

Which was the one that starts with you climbing mount Olympus with the titans? That one was the best.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

!Klams posted:

Which was the one that starts with you climbing mount Olympus with the titans? That one was the best.

That's 3.

Like I said, 3 is a REALLY good game from what I remember, I just think 2 eeks out being better.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

limp_cheese posted:

That's 3.

Like I said, 3 is a REALLY good game from what I remember, I just think 2 eeks out being better.

I’ve finished 1,3 and 2018. I guess it’s time to finish God of War 2. I have it for my still working PS2 or I’ll probably play the 720/60 fps version for my PS3. So far 3 is my favourite, hands down.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The combat of the new games actually takes some effort and awareness on the harder difficulties whereas I beat all the OG titles on Titan/their hardest difficulties by basically just memorizing attack patterns and getting a wack or two in when you can. Parts like the very last big fight in GoWIII where you're on the cube face just fighting wave after wave is just about pure patience while using a very limited moveset and like, two of the weapons at most. You have to get really good at the game but it's not like the new GoWs where you win by busting out some wild synergies and combos while juggling stagger and healthbar damage.

Which isn't to say that the OG games didn't have some chunky, satisfying combat, they are just fundamentally far simpler to play well.

:haibrower: The OG games fights were good, but the one thing GoW:2018 got right was the feeling of being an actual God Of War by breaking out the wild synergies and combos and poo poo

GoW:Ragnarok tried to play this up, but overall the combat was way too easy. And as I've mentioned previously itt, the new GoW games rarely (if ever) felt as epic as the first ones. The part with Freya controlling the dead giant was basically the highlight of the entire new series. Even the part in GoW: Ragnarok where they're attacking Asgard and they go 'its suicide!' and Dad of Boy goes 'no, the boy and i will be enough :unsmigghh: was a big letdown.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I think one of the reasons I don't care about the new God of Wars is the conclusion of 3. Kratos kills and dethrones multiple gods and fucks up everything in his rage. Then when he is forced to confront it he realizes he is the problem and kills himself to save humanity. Like, there's not really anywhere to go from there and is a nice conclusion to things. Kratos is just a rage elemental and with everything he has done he should not get a happy ending.

Plus the spectacle that was 3 also meant there wasn't anywhere to go. Both the size and scope of so many of the battles was so large it felt like they jumped the shark a few times. In a fun way, but that shark was still jumped. I did try the game after 3, Ascension, but turned it off after an hour because they tried to increase the size and scope of things to the point the camera was so zoomed out you couldn't even SEE Kratos anymore yet I was still expected to fight enemies. I kept on dying when I didn't even know where Kratos was, it was stupid.

3 also had the worst sex minigame that was hilariously cringey. Kratos loving Aphrodite while 2 scantily clad women cheer him on was so dumb. I know coming up with a way to fight her would have been stupid, but they should have removed the peanut gallery at least.

I will concede 3 had the best flashlight, even compared to other games.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ascension sucks and the PSP ones are pretty rough too albeit impressive for the time and platform.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The boss fight at the end of Ghost of Sparta can suck my poo poo

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Ascension sucks and the PSP ones are pretty rough too albeit impressive for the time and platform.

I bought the PSP games when they were released for PS3 to see if they were worth LPing and I can't remember if I even finished one. I'm pretty sure I didn't even touch one of them.

I think by that point I was burned out on God of War.

Every once in a while I'll get an itch to replay 3 but then I remember I lost it during a move.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Playing Ghost of Sparta on my silver PSP 2000 at this very moment. It’s extremely impressive that it runs this well on ancient hardware.

E: holy poo poo the PSP came out in 2005. Almost twenty years ago.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 31, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

limp_cheese posted:

3 also had the worst sex minigame that was hilariously cringey. Kratos loving Aphrodite while 2 scantily clad women cheer him on was so dumb. I know coming up with a way to fight her would have been stupid, but they should have removed the peanut gallery at least.

it was so awful but so amazing. it's like the developers said hey qtes are fashionable these days, how do we make one that will really pop and went with the most obvious answer that sex sells. and the sequence is so long and so complicated and every time you get it wrong, you have to restart from the beginning

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

When Kratos nuts a bunch of red balls come out, this is coagulated blood from his gonorrhea.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

When Kratos nuts a bunch of red balls come out, this is coagulated blood from his gonorrhea.

He's actually incapable of achieving an orgasm. He just has this raging hard-on that won't come down for hours and hours. That's why he's so angry all the time.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
... you all don't nut blood? :confused:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
It annoys me that action games like GoW don't get made anymore and if you want the gameplay you have to sit through endless cutscenes and stupidity ala DMC/Bayonetta. I appreciate those games for what they are but just let me hit things with a big goddamn sword for fucks sake

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I don't even bother with new games very often, but I am liking this Against the Storm game a lot. If you like Frostpunk or Aven Colony kinds of games you'll like it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

God of War 1 the first one had one of the worst segments I can think of, where you have to climb the bladed poles in hades. Holy poo poo it was so annoying.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Those games are both bad so sorry I had 2 swag on u with my hateraid

I mean frostpunk and aven colony

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Caesar Saladin posted:

God of War 1 the first one had one of the worst segments I can think of, where you have to climb the bladed poles in hades. Holy poo poo it was so annoying.

Somehow back in the day on PS2 I could do thar part effortlessly but for some reason when I replayed the PS3 remasters it was the absolute worst lol. The hit boxes are insanely bad for the blades, Kratos will get his toe nicked and act like a huge baby just face planting fifty feet below

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Just had to redo a good 15 min of RE2 Remake because the dumbass game flashed the DO YOU WANT TO PLAY ON ASSISTED MODE poo poo in front of me after I died twice on the wack rear end second G Tyrant fight