Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Alacron posted:

As a prediction, Roberto is going to die partway through and Meryl will take up his derringer, and Milly will join up in his place.
I had that same thought when he pulled out the derringer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Is there even enough time to make a meaningful arc out of that? Is this supposed to be one coeur or two? The way things are paced I'm thinking one but happy to be wrong.

Milly was a great component of the original series' dynamic, depicting a viable alternative for how a 'normal' person could get along in that world. A (physically and morally) strong person with a fundamental kindness but at the same time, the willingness to go to the mat for people she cared for. By itself and without exceptional powers like Vash's, maybe not enough to triumph in that sort of world, but a way to get along with dignity.

By contrast, the new series now has, as its core cast, three cynical people of varying ages placed in contrast to Vash. Combined with all the 'normal' people like Rosa being willing to sell him out, it's a much more bleak and isolating outlook. Tempting to see this as fallout from the pandemic but that's exactly why I'd really rather see something more hopeful in this milieu.

I'm still invested in seeing how this turns out, especially if they have a full season to develop this.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 30, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm hoping that they are getting all of the big reveals of the original show out of the way early because they want to do something different later on. I mean, four episodes in and I think the only reveal we haven't gotten is that Vash is a plant. We know that people came here from space, Knives sabotaged the ship to kill all humans, his goal is just to torture his brother and Wolfwood is a spy.

Show's pretty good so far so I'll keep watching to see where it goes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wolfwood being associated with the Gung-Ho-Guns is also revealed pretty much right after his first appearance in the manga too.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm hoping that they are getting all of the big reveals of the original show out of the way early because they want to do something different later on. I mean, four episodes in and I think the only reveal we haven't gotten is that HUGE SPOILER
If this isn't a joke then FUUUCK YOUUUUUUU, seriously gently caress this guy, what a fucker.

Anyway, never saw OG Trigun, but enjoying this a lot. It's fun fast cool and silly. Also from just watching clips of the old show I feel like the new character design kind of fits Vash better?

Also lol yes the show has a bit of main character syndrome. "Vash the Stampede" and "Humanoid Typhoon" just in case one cool nickname wasn't enough.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 30, 2023

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It is uncool for the vets to assume everyone is familiar with the original series but by the time I hit the end of your post I felt like you deserved it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It's given away by the end of the first 2/3 volumes of the manga, I have a hard time seeing it as a serious spoiler.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoft posted:

It is uncool for the vets to assume everyone is familiar with the original series but by the time I hit the end of your post I felt like you deserved it.

that's not even what "main character syndrome" is lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Knives is made of actual knives this time I'm curious how Vash's Angel Arm is gonna manifest. He's got his pistol, but his robot arm so far had no indication of having an SMG built into it. Will his Angel Arm still be a gun? DuoGun if he doesn't have the robot smg?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I might have to actually read the Trigun manga at some point. Out of curiosity, how accurate was the original anime to it aside from changing Meryl and Milly from reporters to insurance agents (or the current series for that matter besides giving the former a new partner)?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The manga hits most of the main beats up to a point but it diverges fairly early in significant ways and then afterwards you again get a lot of the same beats and characters but with different spins on them.

Big word of warning I'd give is that I have never seen an action manga with as indecipherable action sequences as Trigun, you will reread some pages multiple times to parse what's happening.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mostly accurate though on a quick refresh I did a month ago it seems I Mandela Effect'd myself into thinking they were reporters but they were always insurance agents in the manga as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Arc Hammer posted:

Mostly accurate though on a quick refresh I did a month ago it seems I Mandela Effect'd myself into thinking they were reporters but they were always insurance agents in the manga as well.
(Manga)The final gag in the manga is that they become reporters if I remember correctly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Ah, that makes more sense honestly (though Meryl is definitely a reporter of sorts in Stampede at least)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Is there even enough time to make a meaningful arc out of that? Is this supposed to be one coeur or two? The way things are paced I'm thinking one but happy to be wrong.

Milly was a great component of the original series' dynamic, depicting a viable alternative for how a 'normal' person could get along in that world. A (physically and morally) strong person with a fundamental kindness but at the same time, the willingness to go to the mat for people she cared for. By itself and without exceptional powers like Vash's, maybe not enough to triumph in that sort of world, but a way to get along with dignity.

By contrast, the new series now has, as its core cast, three cynical people of varying ages placed in contrast to Vash. Combined with all the 'normal' people like Rosa being willing to sell him out, it's a much more bleak and isolating outlook. Tempting to see this as fallout from the pandemic but that's exactly why I'd really rather see something more hopeful in this milieu.

I'm still invested in seeing how this turns out, especially if they have a full season to develop this.

There's no confirmed episode count. And even if there were, they could easily get more seasons. Particularly for something that probably has a more or less set start and end. Even if Stampede is mixing a bunch of things up, there's still a set overall plot inherited from the original.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gotta say the OP slaps but I'm not so keen on the ED with the shifting constellations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The manga hits most of the main beats up to a point but it diverges fairly early in significant ways and then afterwards you again get a lot of the same beats and characters but with different spins on them.

Big word of warning I'd give is that I have never seen an action manga with as indecipherable action sequences as Trigun, you will reread some pages multiple times to parse what's happening.

Currently going through Maximum and I have to say that 1) pretty much all the changes that the original anime made were for the better and 2) these fight sequences suck.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Cynical is not a word I would have used to describe Meryl personally. She's not as cheery or optimistic as Milly was in the original, but she's still the one trying to help people at every turn, trying to persuade Roberto to be better at every opportunity etc. Milly isn't there because she'd be redundant in this adaptation as far as I can tell, because Meryl IS the Milly of this story.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/CG_Orange_eng/status/1620956420777852930?t=aa7Z8P9kar7ogkfTwMNRPg&s=19

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Yeah I don't see how Meryl is in any way cynical at all, she's the naive newbie who wants to do the right thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i need to get me some of that laser juice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Meryl may not be cynical but man do humans really loving suuuuuuuck in Trigun, especially this episode.

They're being way more explicit about Knives role in genetically modifying the Gung Ho Guns this time around. It was certainly part of the old show but some people were just always weirdos rather than surgically modified assassins.

Rollo felt like this show's version of Monev the Gale, so I doubt we'll see Monev himself appear.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 4, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arc Hammer posted:

Meryl may not be cynical but man do humans really loving suuuuuuuck in Trigun, especially this episode.

They're being way more explicit about Knives role in genetically modifying the Gung Ho Guns this time around. It was certainly part of the old show but some people were just always weirdos rather than surgically modified assassins.

Rollo felt like this show's version of Monev the Gale, so I doubt we'll see Monev himself appear.

The credits and promotions call him Monev the Gale.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsterEnvy posted:

The credits and promotions call him Monev the Gale.

Oh they did? Well that's it then. I just called him Rollo because the episode did.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I don't recall it showing up at all in the anime, the closest thing was Legato's arm. I'm also reading Maximum (through volume 2 now) and I don't think there's been anything other than vague implications during the swordfight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Maera Sior posted:

I don't recall it showing up at all in the anime, the closest thing was Legato's arm. I'm also reading Maximum (through volume 2 now) and I don't think there's been anything other than vague implications during the swordfight.

I may be misremembering bit I thought that Dominique the Cyclops mentioned she got her demon eye from Knives.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I may be misremembering bit I thought that Dominique the Cyclops mentioned she got her demon eye from Knives.

I assumed it was a weird tech thing he had access to, given we what we had seen already.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

What's the over/under on us seeing the only important member of the Gung-Ho Guns: Midvalley the Hornfreak?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhC4a5wdXKw

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vanderdeath posted:

What's the over/under on us seeing the only important member of the Gung-Ho Guns: Midvalley the Hornfreak?

Probably decent. He was one of the more important members in the manga.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I nominate this episode for Best Dad Joke in an Anime.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

it's weird because i think the op sucks and just sounds like a generic korean hip hop track whereas i like the melancholy of the ed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll take Korean Hip-Hop over a typical OP that can be inserted into any 90 second intro.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
i still dont know quite how to feel about this. its very pretty and i dig vash's redesign, but i feel like everything has been rushed so far. wolfwoods been an rear end in a top hat from the start and im not feeling any camaraderie between him and vash yet the way it was in the original.

the ED features the constellation Gemini pretty prominently

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Vanderdeath posted:

10000000000000000% or we riot

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
That sucked all the emotion out of the Wolfwood killing to save Vash beat, and it's so early in the show it makes me wonder why Vash would keep him around.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

That sucked all the emotion out of the Wolfwood killing to save Vash beat, and it's so early in the show it makes me wonder why Vash would keep him around.

Vash has routinely hung out with worse people so far, and he seems young and uncertain rather than being a hardline idealist. Wolfwood may well have pressed the right buttons to convince him he doesn't have the right to get pissy about such things.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Trigun was my first like ... real anime, and I think still my favorite
And I'm also a dumb toku nerd so I've got a real attachment to JYB
So I think I'm exclusively watching the dub

I generally like Vash's new design but
I really really like the sort of hourglass silhouette he has with his original coat that he doesn't really have here
And y'know Stampede kind of gives away a lot up front so I guess it makes sense that he would just outwardly have a robot arm instead but I also feel like that throws off the silhouette in the same way the new coat does
Still looks cool, just definitely not the same Vash, doesn't carry the same sort of weight the original does

Given that there's only two episodes dubbed so far...
It's got me rewatching OG Trigun for the first time in a while
poo poo still slaps.
I'm into the Wolfwood episodes now
Loving it.
And now peacing out from the thread because I don't want spoilers

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've only been watching the dub, so maybe this gets answered later, but... is Kuroneko even in this show? Have I been missing them hiding in the background, or are they just not here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I didn't realize they made Elendira a kid until I looked at the credits and that's one I feel particularly weird about because that character deserved more fleshing out w the concept she had going on for her in Maximum.

I'm warming up to the show more overall now though, esp watching the dub.