Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"Unrecognised ID or password."

Which one? Did I get the username wrong, or the password? It would be extremely helpful to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tiggum posted:

Which one? Did I get the username wrong, or the password? It would be extremely helpful to know!

This is to an extent reasonable and on purpose: if people are just guessing accounts/emails, letting them know "yes, this one exists!" is bad, maybe.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Tiggum posted:

Yes but there's a good reason for this. You shouldn't tell people "yeah the account exists but you got the password wrong". Makes it significantly easier for someone to attempt to get in elsewhere if they have breached one site and start to enumerate where else that account name/email exists.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah, that's 100% good security. Best practice is not to expose that information.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
In a way that's a perfectly good pet peeve. Security in general is the enemy of usability, and it'd be great if we didn't need it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I mean there are (I'm sure) good reasons why I have to log into my work system three times every time I start it up but that doesn't mean it's not an absolute pain in the rear end.

(There is no need to elaborate on what those reasons may be.)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

My related pet peeve is that the "remember this device" toggle when logging in to the website for our payroll stuff does not work and I have to 2FA with a texted pin every god damned time

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly all login systems should be replaced with "I only speak truths, my brother only tells lies, ask us one question for access to this system."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anyway my actual peeve this morning is moving to a new place. I'm about to embark on probably the least painful version of this possible (moving to a larger, more conveniently situated, apartment in the same building next month) and I'm still faced with twenty levels of bullshit necessary to get it done.

Mind you, the good local fiber company appears to finally be available in my location and switching to them from my cable company should be enough to offset the rent increase in the new unit.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yes but there's a good reason for this. You shouldn't tell people "yeah the account exists but you got the password wrong". Makes it significantly easier for someone to attempt to get in elsewhere if they have breached one site and start to enumerate where else that account name/email exists.

My favourite thing related to this is in the original Watchmen graphic novel - they're trying to guess someone's password, and after a couple of guesses the system helpfully tells them "password incomplete, add more letters"!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Every time I call my ISP about an issue, they try to sell me fiber connectivity. That would be great, and I understand that customer service people can't deviate from script, but why is there not a "this will not work" checkbox somewhere on their end? My address is practically "that one orange building near the brewery, south stairs, behind the pipes, fourth floor" but they think I can punch holes in the wall and run new cables without the landlord noticing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dip Viscous posted:

Every time I call my ISP about an issue, they try to sell me fiber connectivity. That would be great, and I understand that customer service people can't deviate from script, but why is there not a "this will not work" checkbox somewhere on their end? My address is practically "that one orange building near the brewery, south stairs, behind the pipes, fourth floor" but they think I can punch holes in the wall and run new cables without the landlord noticing.

You'd be surprised at what you can get away with if you're clever

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Sites that do the whole "uwu some error happen" thing for no reason and blank the screen. Yeah, I'm on Windstream, I know that the the connection drops for a couple of minutes once every 8-10 minutes. At least let me read scrollback instead of blacking out the screen while "reconnecting".

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Jan 30, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My girlfriend will leave food out for hours, already portioned into containers. Just sitting there on the counter with the lid off at room temperature.

Why? To let it "cool down" so that moisture doesn't condense on the inside of the lid, which she hates. You have your food handlers card you should know better

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tell her to use the blast chiller!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I thought food needs to be at room temp for like 4 hours to start growing bacteria? I've always been told to let food cool to room temp before refrigerating to preserve the texture and bc it's more energy efficient for the fridge

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arrath posted:

My girlfriend will leave food out for hours, already portioned into containers. Just sitting there on the counter with the lid off at room temperature.

Why? To let it "cool down" so that moisture doesn't condense on the inside of the lid, which she hates. You have your food handlers card you should know better

Soup needs to be allowed to cool for at least an hour, otherwise it could raise the temperature in the refrigerator to dangerous levels

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Soup needs to be allowed to cool for at least an hour, otherwise it could raise the temperature in the refrigerator to dangerous levels

Giant pots of fresh soup, sure, I get that.

But we're taking, like, she'll eat dinner at 5:15 (old soul), I'll come by her place after work and find portions of chicken fajitas or some pasta something or other sitting in tupperware on the counter at 9:30.

Killingyouguy! posted:

I thought food needs to be at room temp for like 4 hours to start growing bacteria? I've always been told to let food cool to room temp before refrigerating to preserve the texture and bc it's more energy efficient for the fridge

The resources I'm seeing say to put that poo poo away after two hours.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I have a news app (The Guardian. Yes, I know, shoot me) which gives me notifications for breaking news, and a lot of the time the news it decides to notify me about is horrific but also inconsequential.

Like tonight, it gives me a notification that a little girl has been killed by a dog in Milton Keynes. In what world is that something which needs to be communicated to me as a BREAKING NEWS story that I need to follow? AFAIK there's no way to set the app to only tell me about political / globally significant stuff , so I just have to put up with being notified about random tragedies so I can also get the notifications when Russia's launched nukes into Germany or w/ever.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Tiggum posted:

The webp image format.

A bunch of sites seem to be switching their images over to webp, but nothing supports it so if you want to save an image and use it for something you have to open it up in an editor and save it as png. It's as annoying as the sites still using gif for static images.

A Tiggum post noone can argue with.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Perfect Element posted:

I have a news app (The Guardian. Yes, I know, shoot me) which gives me notifications for breaking news, and a lot of the time the news it decides to notify me about is horrific but also inconsequential.
The thing that annoys me about the one I use is sports being mixed in with everything else. You gonna tell me what's happening in Days of Our Lives and recap the latest Simpsons episode too? This is not news.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

A Tiggum post people can argue with. Back to normal.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If you only saw news that affected your life in any way you'd get like one notification a year, if that. And if you limited it to news you can do anything about you wouldn't even get that

So yeah you get stories about dog bites girl somewhere in the world and sports star shenanigans because that's all there is

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Yeah you're right. You should just turn off the notifications

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Manager Hoyden posted:

If you only saw news that affected your life in any way you'd get like one notification a year, if that. And if you limited it to news you can do anything about you wouldn't even get that

So yeah you get stories about dog bites girl somewhere in the world and sports star shenanigans because that's all there is

My friend, I live in Brexit Britain 2023, news is affecting my life in some new lovely way every god drat day.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Manager Hoyden posted:

If you only saw news that affected your life in any way you'd get like one notification a year, if that.
Mate there is a loving pandemic.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Mate there is a loving pandemic.

Yes there is a pandemic. Three years ago we should have gotten a notification that there is a pandemic on and another notification a year or so later saying we're getting some money due to the pandemic. And maybe one in between to tell me vaccines exist

There, those are all the meaningfully actionable news items about the pandemic

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Feb 1, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When you're trying to perform a simple task but the angle you're doing it at makes it impossible

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Feb 1, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I recently tightened the screws on my door handle and yeah.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Although I understand why they do it, Wheel of Fortune contestants who slowly...read...every...part...of...a...puzzle...to...solve...it are extremely annoying.

Almost every commercial, Super Bowl ones included, that work overtime to be 'clever' and 'funny'. They're rarely if ever either one, and the desperation these brands have to become the next meme is palpable.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Almost every commercial, Super Bowl ones included, that work overtime to be 'clever' and 'funny'. They're rarely if ever either one, and the desperation these brands have to become the next meme is palpable.

Yeah but you can forgive the Super Bowl ads because the median NFL viewer age is 50 and that's firmly in the boomer age bracket (those born 1945 to 1979). You can't blame them for using boomer humor to appeal to boomers

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Smart business. Appeal to the ones with the power and the money.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing Borderlands 2 right now and I can't tell you how many times (dozens and dozens of times!) you enter a new map area and, all at once, you are simultaneously 1) beseiged by enemies, which is very chaotic and noisy, and, 2) an NPC contacts you over your intercom to give you instructions on what to do next.

This annoys the gently caress outta me because A) most of the time I literally can't hear the NPC's voice over the cacophony of the combat; and B) even when I can hear them, all of my attention is currently being employed in the physical mechanics of playing through video game combat, triaging which enemies are the biggest threats to me, am I using the right weapon, etc.; and C) I have ADHD. I have no more attention units left over to parse what this tinny disembodied voice is telling me what to do. gently caress OFF, disembodied voice.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

the boomer age bracket (those born 1945 to 1979).
To 1969, that is (nice). 1979 my Gen-X rear end. :mad:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Hirayuki posted:

Okay boomer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

It's more like 64. Kurt Cobain was born in '67 and is the defining Gen Xer.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's more like 64. Kurt Cobain was born in '67 and is the defining Gen Xer.

Nobody has been more hosed over by the boomers than GenX, and conflating birth years is just MEAN.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Remulak posted:

Nobody has been more hosed over by the boomers than GenX, and conflating birth years is just MEAN.
I'm more immediately offended by the idea that I give the slightest ghost of a poo poo about Superbowl ads.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The only streaming service anyone needs is Tubi

EDIT:
Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hirayuki posted:

Sorry friend I don't make the rules

The youngest boomers were born in 1979 and the oldest were born in 1945 :shrug:

And every single one is scientifically proven to believe Flo is real and also a celebrity