Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Klyith posted:

and the main production space looks like it has some high ceilings so a lot of airspace

Normally I like the ceilings in my buildings to be not so high above my machines that there is so much airspace and under normal circumstances I'd have the ceiling higher for the refineries, because they're tall and I normally enclose them fully, and a lower ceiling for the blenders. But I was messing around with a blueprints idea for the outside walls and decided kind of last second to make the height uniform. Now that we have blueprints I actually have a variety of "grid" blueprints (just plain old 4x4/3x4/1x4 foundation grids) that I've been using for roofs because I'm not normally a fan of the actual roof objects (the flat roof isn't really flat and I don't like that one side has an "edge" making them look a little weird in a grid, especially an odd numbered grid. Having grids for roofs actually lets me snap blueprints of some custom rafters I put together right to the bottom side of the grid reducing empty airspace even more and making the inside of the building a little more interesting. I this case I just decided to use the actual roofing tiles to give the roof a different "texture" than the surrounding coated foundations and call it done making a little space for the refinery smoke stacks.

Why yes, I do put this much thought into the aesthetics for almost all my builds why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

It's okay, you are among friends here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Any smart mod users: I'm trying to auto belt an assembly line with one ingredient coming from each direction. Is there a way to manipulate the splitters separately, all I can do is get them to move apart with 'T' but I can't control direction - or spacing at all when it comes to spreading out the double splitters.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

Any smart mod users: I'm trying to auto belt an assembly line with one ingredient coming from each direction. Is there a way to manipulate the splitters separately, all I can do is get them to move apart with 'T' but I can't control direction - or spacing at all when it comes to spreading out the double splitters.

I don't use smart these days but at one point I saw a demo video where you could make one example of an assembler or whatever complete with I/O belts and splitter/mergers, then point smart at it and replicate the whole setup.

IMO smart's built-in "auto-place splitters and mergers" ability has always been pretty crap as far as looks, space efficiency, and ease of use. I never used that feature even back in the day when I used smart. So rather than using that, I'd recommend figuring out the replication thing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Klyith posted:

I don't use smart these days but at one point I saw a demo video where you could make one example of an assembler or whatever complete with I/O belts and splitter/mergers, then point smart at it and replicate the whole setup.

IMO smart's built-in "auto-place splitters and mergers" ability has always been pretty crap as far as looks, space efficiency, and ease of use. I never used that feature even back in the day when I used smart. So rather than using that, I'd recommend figuring out the replication thing.

It's super handy because it will put belts in places that you'd have a real hard time doing yourself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really like it, and it works fine from one direction, it's just I can't figure out how to manipulate the splitters separately.

So I made a bunch of small factories making basic copper, iron, steel, pre the framework space elevator tier. Then I output all those into a main bus system and it was great, I made all my project assembly stuff in like an hour. Then I look online and everyone's all "Busses in Satisfactory fuckin suck! They're useless" - what is the alternative and is it strictly better or a matter of playstyle. I've seen some pretty dope busses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-JPC8RG318&t=149s

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

So I made a bunch of small factories making basic copper, iron, steel, pre the framework space elevator tier. Then I output all those into a main bus system and it was great, I made all my project assembly stuff in like an hour. Then I look online and everyone's all "Busses in Satisfactory fuckin suck! They're useless" - what is the alternative and is it strictly better or a matter of playstyle. I've seen some pretty dope busses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-JPC8RG318&t=149s

Pretty much everything is strictly a matter of playstyle in this game.

Most of the pushback on the idea of main bus systems is direct comparison to Factorio, where the main bus feeds and balances everything. In Factorio the main bus is the answer to the main puzzle of the game, and some people imagine that means it's the answer to all factory games. It's not nearly as useful in Satisfactory, because the number of items is vastly higher and the rates of consumption can be ludicrous.

Take screws. If you need 1200/m for HMFs and 650/m for computers, do you put them on a main belt using like 3 or 4 belts of your bus? Or do you put 1 belts of ingots on your bus and put some screw constructors next to the things that use screws? Now extend that logic to the max and you get a nonlinear spiderweb mess factory -- mirroring the nonlinear spiderweb mess that you get trying to put Satisfactory's production in a flowchart.

Note that even in that guy's video he's dealing with a much more limited set of possible ingredients than is in the game, but still needs multiple belts of some things. And he doesn't have any pipes -- the concept *really* isn't great if you are doing mixed solid/liquid production. Basically it works as a concept for a single factory, but has a scaling limit. Which isn't a massive downside -- every other logistical approach has limits and scales it doesn't work for.

Conversely, the big advantage he cites is flexibility, which is IMO just not a big deal. If I build a computer factory, it's not going to change to a HMF factory tomorrow. Flexibility might sound nice when you're in a new game and don't know what's coming, but that brings up another disadvantage I didn't see him talk about : building that bus with low level belts is not gonna happen.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Busses work in facorio because you have many parallel operations. Eg Plates and green chips often get used in end stage production. In Satisfactory the production tree is far more serial, from A to B to C. The combing C and H into J, and so on.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Unnecessary PSA: Why you shouldn't use Cyber Wagons for automation

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Every delivery route will be run by Cyberwagons being launched across the world by bounce pads. Probably underestimating what a hassle this will be.

Just like doing a Factory Cart-only world taught me a bunch of reasons why that's a bad idea, I'm learning entirely new things about why wagons are bad with this playthrough.

The item mall mostly works. Every single route has been a massive pain in the rear end to set up but about 80% of them are running without issue. There are a number of technical issues seemingly unique to wagons which are causing problems for the remaining routes.

1. Launch trajectories are unreliable. If you look at the map you'll see there's a sort of shotgun effect coming out of each bounce pad. Driving vehicles onto bounce pads is generally completely reliable, the indicator will show you exactly where the vehicle will land and unless there's a physics glitch it should work about the same every time. Wagons get launched about 30 times as far as the indicator shows and the angle they get launched varies slightly each time. You only have a general idea where it's going to land, so you can't carefully set the pads up so that the wagon goes from one pad to the next perfectly. You'll almost always have to land and then trundle along to the next pad in the sequence. Since the physics for the wagons are like they're full of helium, you have to pray with each launch that they'll land with four wheels down and stay more or less where they land. If you land on the nose, tail, or roof, it will generally start bouncing a bunch and end up far from the intended landing spot, probably requiring you to try it again. I've been saving and reloading countless times with every single launch because I can't depend on it to land where I want and to actually stay there if it does instead of bouncing off a cliff.

2. The game engine really doesn't seem to like what I'm doing and has been crashing a bunch when attempting to save/load. Sometimes it will even fail to tear down the old session when you go to reload which I've never seen before. Sent about 50 crash reports in the last few days, the devs are probably very confused.

3. Autopilots are turning off for some undetermined reason. For a lot of the routes I'll notice the bins aren't filling up no matter how long I wait. After following the path I'll find a wagon at some point along its route sitting motionless, apparently not attempting to autopilot its route. Getting in and looking at the route list shows that is has the correct route loaded, it's just stopped running it. Not sure if this resets on reload under certain circumstances or what's causing it really, once I get in and set it going again it appears to work fine.

4. Some of my wagons are disappearing? If I look at the map I can see this:

A cyber wagon icon sitting at what I think is the 0,0 coordinate in the map where a phantom truck station was showing up as a bug a while back. Going over there, I can't see any wagons.

Even clipped myself through the floor using hypertubes to see if there were any floating down in the death void, I can't see any. Hovering over the icon shows it as "driving," maybe some of the routes aren't filling up because the wagons are bugging out and getting teleported to this location at which point they can't ghost back to their route? There's a shadow on the icon so I think it's actually multiple wagons all bugged at the same exact location.

5. The wagons are so bad at driving that sometimes they go into the wrong truck stations and deliver the wrong items back to the mall. This could probably be solved by spacing my stations farther apart but it's pretty frustrating when I take 30 minutes to set up a route and then have to do it again because the wagon is actually picking things up from the station next to the one I wanted.

---

Besides all that I think I can work around the bugs and get it all going 100% reliably with enough fiddling. Was going to try to use wagons in my actual factories as well for any low-throughput items but I'm kind of reconsidering that after this project. Strongly advise against anyone else trying to use them for automation in any capacity unless the devs take a look at them and make their behavior a bit more standard. Guessing literally nobody uses them for this purpose, nor should they, so I won't hold my breath.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 30, 2023

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Please submit your savegame and all the bug reports to the devs so they can make the ingame cybertruck better then the real one.

Also please share your finished save here once done, I really want to see this myself.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Your posts about the Factory Cart build had me use them in some low throughput medium-range parts of my factory, where they work great. Not sure about incorporating cybertrucks though, but interested in seeing how it works out!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dunno-Lars posted:

Please submit your savegame and all the bug reports to the devs so they can make the ingame cybertruck better then the real one.

Also please share your finished save here once done, I really want to see this myself.

I posted the more major problems on the QA site, the devs check it regularly so they should at least see it. Going to take a guess and say fixing issues with cyber wagons is towards the bottom of their priority list along with things like making blade runners adhere to your model while in hyper tubes. I'll post the save once all the routes are up, it's getting close to being done. Black icons are completely functional, orange icons either haven't had their routes recorded yet or are saved for items which aren't automated yet, red icons are faulty routes which either aren't working at all or are picking up the wrong items. Either way I think those will have to be re-recorded.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The main reason buses are less popular in Satisfactory (at least from where I'm sitting) is logistics throughput. The top tier of belt in Satisfactory moves as many items as the most basic best in Factorio. That means you have to set up a lot of belts to get a reasonable throughput for a bus, whether that's for speed if you're bussing basic resources or breadth if you're trying to bus all of them. You can totally do it if you want to, but quite often adding a new consumer to the bus means adding new production to keep up and adding more belts to connect them, at which point you've functionally just built a new separate factory that happens to be sharing space. A Satisfactory bus functions more for keeping things tidy than actually pooling the resources.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I can also absolutely imagine that it’s horrible to upgrade as well. Unlocked a better belt? Cool let’s spend an hour running the length of my bus clicking on every belt

In factorio you just click and drag the upgrade box

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
That is why you build whatever you need to get to aluminum. Then build your -real- factory with mk5 belts.

You can start building a semi useful factory with steel, but those are rookie numbers

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

It's done.

What's better than 20GWs?

40GW

This is a copy of the building using the map editor and re-working the water extractors because of space reasons. Also the extractors look cooler imo. Project done.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I'm doing a bus until I get trains :colbert:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How would a bus even look in this game? The thought makes my brain hurt.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
yall are out there designing stuff that looks like buildings and I'm just zooping a 20x20 floor that hangs off a clifftop completely laughing at the concept of gravity

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AzkgCZhHq4

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Unnecessary PSA: Why you shouldn't use Cyber Wagons for automation

thank you for your service

SettingSun posted:

utilizing the 3d space heavily, you can use vertical stacks pretty well i would think. probably more hassle than just setting up normal manifold lines and directing things where they need to go

edit: lol that video is cursed

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That video is scarier than any horror game I've played recently, I love it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just did a build using trucks up to trains and it works real well. No long belts. The updates truck AI is pretty seemsless. I just did a 4 pm hmf factory (alt recipe ) that only needs three trucks delivering to it

Except for the cases noted above. I will make sure to space out my delivery stations so that mixed load issue doesn’t arise. That would shut down factories

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT47A2UKOC0

So you guys build like this and then just pipe stuff from all over the map to a central location?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I would just use trains but I don't build at scale until I basically have all the milestones done anyway. Before trains I would just go get stuff from my steel and oil outposts to finish milestones until trains started to come online.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What does endgame look like? I just unlocked oil despite having 100 hours because I keep "starting over" (abandoning a frustrating mess and relocating across the map). If this game was procgen I'd be starting over constantly but knowing I'd lose all my ticket items and the fact that it's just the one world no matter what keeps me in one save, which is weird for me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oil is going to blow your mind hahah. (I remember it did for me)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This game doesn't really have a quantified endgame outside of finishing the final tier of space elevator parts. After that it's all self made goals like 1 nuclear pasta per second or something else ludicrously dumb.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

So you guys build like this and then just pipe stuff from all over the map to a central location?

My strategy is 4-6 large "Tier 1" factories which produce several related, relatively high-end, items. For example a Frames factory that makes all the frame & cube items, or a Computers factory that makes computers, supercomputers, HS connectors, etc. The tier 1 factories do some local production all the way from raw resources, but are mostly supported by tier 2 factories and satellite factories for the things they need lots of.

Tier 2 are large basic item factories that supply multiple tier 1 factories, generally by train. Rubber & plastic refineries make obvious sense here as they just need oil and have large-scale efficiency. I recently made a dedicated 1000/min copper sheet factory for this world that's gonna be very helpful, because copper sheets can eat a lot of copper if you don't use steamed.

Satellite factories support a single tier 1, generally by truck but sometimes by belt, and are mostly a way to break the build into smaller pieces and put things closer to the raw resources. I frequently put smelters and foundries off into satellites for aesthetic reasons (no smoking indoors!)

There is no "central" location in terms of one place that has access to everything. At some point there will be a central drone airport, but that will just be carrying the Tier 1 products between each other, and to the elevator.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 30, 2023

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Because advanced resources are spread out and basic resources are everywhere, it just makes more sense to build up as much as possible near the node and ship it away in its least dense form. This would be how factorio would work with infinite resources, too. centralization makes more sense when your resource extraction needs to be lightweight and temporary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Klyith posted:

My strategy is 4-6 large "Tier 1" factories which produce several related, relatively high-end, items. For example a Frames factory that makes all the frame & cube items, or a Computers factory that makes computers, supercomputers, HS connectors, etc. The tier 1 factories do some local production all the way from raw resources, but are mostly supported by tier 2 factories and satellite factories for the things they need lots of.

Tier 2 are large basic item factories that supply multiple tier 1 factories, generally by train. Rubber & plastic refineries make obvious sense here as they just need oil and have large-scale efficiency. I recently made a dedicated 1000/min copper sheet factory for this world that's gonna be very helpful, because copper sheets can eat a lot of copper if you don't use steamed.

Satellite factories support a single tier 1, generally by truck but sometimes by belt, and are mostly a way to break the build into smaller pieces and put things closer to the raw resources. I frequently put smelters and foundries off into satellites for aesthetic reasons (no smoking indoors!)

There is no "central" location in terms of one place that has access to everything. At some point there will be a central drone airport, but that will just be carrying the Tier 1 products between each other, and to the elevator.

Where do you keep all your stuff

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Because advanced resources are spread out and basic resources are everywhere, it just makes more sense to build up as much as possible near the node and ship it away in its least dense form. This would be how factorio would work with infinite resources, too. centralization makes more sense when your resource extraction needs to be lightweight and temporary.

I think you meant most dense form. Least dense would be like using drones to ship screws.

And yea, it makes the most sense. But my goblin factory brain screams at me for just more central bus belts.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Francis John used a main bus, and it was an absurdly long monster that was wonderful.

I started building my main near blue crater, with trains brining in materials as needed. I don't want to abandon everything so my starter base in the desert to send steel products and iron stuff. And I'll probably ramp up HMF production and ship them in via train.

I haven't quite figured out the distribution of everything yet, or even how much to make of things. 3 crystal oscillators/ min seems fine, but now I think I need more to ramp up radio control stuff. I hate calculating backwards

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

Where do you keep all your stuff

I have a home base.

It doesn't make stuff for anything other factory, and is not part of the production network at all. Just stuff for me. It makes all the basic resources that are useful for building stuff, at a modest rate. Also a train station that can load a train with mixed items, so I can bring a load of stuff wherever I'm building.

Downside is it doesn't do oil or aluminum products, so if I want those I have to go pick them up from another factory. This means that I default to mk3 conveyors rather than mk5, and use the shiny plastic floors with a bit of restraint. But since I have hyper cannons everywhere, going to pick up a load of alclad or plastic is a quick trip.

I also have a central cannon nexus. It's not part of a factory at all; it's by itself on top of a tall rock pillar. But it does have a wall of the personal storage boxes:

That's my quick place to pick up stuff if I just need a couple stacks. Of course, if they run out I have to restock by hand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol I just built a couple of cannons for fun, I didn't think they were for serious travel. I'm using a parachute to land but it's real slow and you have to time your release right, is that the preferred method

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

Lol I just built a couple of cannons for fun, I didn't think they were for serious travel. I'm using a parachute to land but it's real slow and you have to time your release right, is that the preferred method

No, jetpack is the preferred method.

Parachute actually gives you more distance though! Triggering the parachute doesn't slow you down. But yeah, landing is slow.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Landing in water will also do no damage. Something to keep in mind if you're pre-jetpack and accidentally launch without parachutes.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Before I had the jetpack/hoverpack, I would build a pair of large walls to funnel myself into a fairly well-defined path, right into a U-Jelly. Walls seem to harmlessly deflect you, as long as you're not landing on top of something.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
have they fixed that bug where the last parachute is a trap and doesn't really exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I killed a pig that had a jetpack so now I have a jetpack.