Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Agents are GO! posted:

Which forum would each FNV character post in?

Veronica: Debate and Discussion

Why are you so mean to Veronica, no one deserves this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Arcade would definitely post in A/T
Mr House? Probably Deals and Coupons

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Caesar, now that's a purestrain dnd poster.

Also Traditional Games, he loves his army games.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Dog/God: A/T

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think they'd both post in the gbs ukraine thread

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I never could get back into New Vegas due to the 60 fps limit and how poor it ran. I've always wanted to come back to this game to play the DLC which I heard was great. I just could never get back into it years after I played it on release.

The Viva New Vegas guide is great and the New Vegas Tick Fix + DXVK (Direct X to Vulkan translator) has made this game run butter smooth. No more microstutters and unlocked FPS! That combined with the Just Assorted Mods (Weapon Hweel) makes the game play more modernized while not trying to change too much from the original vanilla game.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 20, 2023

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Woebin posted:

Dog/God: A/T

Dog/God: E/N

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I tried starting a new game as Kenshiro and it seems like the Viva New Vegas mods skip the screen where you can change display options so unless I play modless I'm stuck with a lovely stretched mess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I tried starting a new game as Kenshiro and it seems like the Viva New Vegas mods skip the screen where you can change display options so unless I play modless I'm stuck with a lovely stretched mess.

That sounds like an ini file fix, you should be able to change display options from in there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MonsieurChoc posted:

You can have Mod Organizer start from the launcher and change your display options from there.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Lilly Bowen is welcome any time in BYOB, there's always somebody friendly around to listen to her holotape with her and remember :)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You can have Mod Organizer start from the launcher and change your display options from there.

Where's that option?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In the list of options one of them will say "fallout launcher"

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Where's that option?

In the upper right of the Mod Organizer 2 window there's a long button that says "Fallout New Vegas" or something to that effect. It determines which executable MO2 will run if you click the Run button right next to it. Click the long button, it'll make a list of options appear. Click the one that says FalloutNV Launcher or something to that effect (it's been a while, I can't recall the exact name). Now the long button should say "FalloutNV Launcher". Click the Run button. The launcher should now appear. Once you've set your preferred settings and launched the game once, make sure to switch MO2 back to the original setting so you don't have to go through the launcher every time you want to play the game.

Normally, you'd set up your resolution etc before actually installing MO2 or any mods. Its part of the instructions on VNV's "Initial Setup" page, though it's all the way at the bottom, easy to miss. You might want to browse through the page and make sure you got everything set up properly, it could save you from a future headache.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 30, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thanks that fixed it!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Glad to hear it, have a good playthrough!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One day I'll actually finish the game instead of starting new characters.

My first character I couldn't finish because of upgrading to Viva New Vegas (I had different mods before).
Since then I got a bunch of weird builds I never took to the end.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Straight from Ukraine, Xilandro has released his long awaited bow mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/79786

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh hell yes. It's time for a survivalist legionary run

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Is RTX Remix not compatible with New Vegas? I was trying to find some tests with it but as far as I can tell no one's attempted it. the lighting system in New Vegas is pretty awful and it'd be nice to have real flashlights and dynamic lighting

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Is RTX Remix not compatible with New Vegas? I was trying to find some tests with it but as far as I can tell no one's attempted it. the lighting system in New Vegas is pretty awful and it'd be nice to have real flashlights and dynamic lighting

Not compatible.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

will it eventually get compatibility? Oblivion seems to have it and thats a pretty similar engine

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not unless something changes with Remix, afaik. And I'm pretty sure Oblivion isn't supported either. Morrowind is. The game needs to use something called a "fixed-function pipeline", which is unlikely for any Xbox 360 or newer games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There is that newish mod that is trying to add real-time shadows to New Vegas. Can't think of the name at the moment. I'd love for global illumination but I'll have to wait for some more cracked out modders to design it first.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

you might be thinking of new vegas reloaded, a port of the oblivion project. there was some drama around the rights (especially following the nexus hosting changes), but the guy in charge left modding for good las year, and i think made all his work free to use so maybe there's a chance of a revival (or it's already happening, idk).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Might be thinking of the Vulkan wrapper mod?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rinkles posted:

you might be thinking of new vegas reloaded, a port of the oblivion project. there was some drama around the rights (especially following the nexus hosting changes), but the guy in charge left modding for good las year, and i think made all his work free to use so maybe there's a chance of a revival (or it's already happening, idk).

It's already happening. Not on Nexus yet, but it's actually kinda... good? Although it's still got visual bugs and it definitely hits performance pretty hard.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's already happening. Not on Nexus yet, but it's actually kinda... good? Although it's still got visual bugs and it definitely hits performance pretty hard.

Is it still being worked on?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Is it still being worked on?

Yeah, it actually gets updated pretty frequently. I don't remember how I found out, I think I just ran into the new Discord server on Google or something? A lot of the weirder/wackier things like the new intro cinematic or the camera mode were completely dropped too.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone have an idiots guide to modding new vegas on a steam deck?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The Frontier rework is officially dead. From the Discord:

quote:

Hello everyone. As some of you may already know, we've decided to end the Rework. This choice was made several weeks ago and the post just hasn't been made. Stopping the Rework was a difficult decision but it was best for those of us on the team and for the community.

Legacy is riddled with extensive issues. The technical base we have to work with isn't stable, and we lack the energy and knowhow to fix it in a reasonable timeframe. If we ignore that base, we'll produce another disaster on launch. With the people we have, this would take at least four years of hard labor. Most of us here on the team are extremely tired and burned out. This mod has also burned through most of the modders in the community, especially the more experienced ones. Others won't touch the mod with a ten foot pole. Between time, skill, and a general lack of desire to work on the Rework, we've decided to close shop. Where we go from here is still up in the air. Some wish to continue doing Frontier-related things, such as weapons, armor, and even story elements. We are currently evaluating the state of the Legacy build's assets, as well as sorting out the logistics of what we do next. We'll have more to announce on that front later.

For those of you who are disappointed by the Rework's failure, please know that we are as well. But the workload is too high, the payoff too little, and we're ready to move on.

Personally I'm disappointed, but not surprised. The mod was huge, and despite the disaster that was its launch it was still immensely impressive that it came out at all. Reworking it was always a tall order, and it's just sad that so many talented people put work into an ultimately very flawed product.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone have an idiots guide to modding new vegas on a steam deck?

From the other thread:

Nobody Interesting posted:

I haven't modded on the Steam Deck but I do exclusively play games on Linux. imo the best thing to do would be to go into desktop mode and grab a tool called SteamTinkerLaunch - https://github.com/sonic2kk/steamtinkerlaunch/releases/

The easiest way to install it is by using ProtonUp-Qt which downloads the latest version of STL (and also custom Proton versions) and puts it in the right place for you.

Restart Steam once it's been downloaded + installed, and then right click FNV in Steam and go to the Compatibility tab. Tick the box, select STL.

What STL will do is handle the MO2 integration for you. It'll let you use the "download with manager" links on Nexus and all that good stuff. Once you've got your mods installed, I would imagine that FNV will work okay in game mode. With STL set up, you can go ahead and follow Viva New Vegas

One of the main reasons I was hired for my last job was because I talked at length about modding FNV on Linux. Feel free to bug me with any Qs.

It's not trivial, but it's not hard hard.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
My mod loadout is unchanged from four years ago, but it's so terrifyingly large I don't want to update or change anything and risk the whole house of cards come crashing down.

Do people just reinstall the big ol texture packs every time they decided to replay a Bethesda game?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be honest I leave the texture packs for later and just make sure it launches first. The packs are memory hogs on a game that needs to stretch 4GB if memory as far as it can go.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I keep my files in case I want to restart, but I inevitably end up starting from the beginning each time.

At least with NV the process is pretty quick and straightforward nowadays. Oblivion and Skyrim are both more of a hassle. Oblivion because its script extender never got as much attention as NV, and many mods are ancient with no modern counterparts. And I always found modding Skyrim to be a headache. I guess because it has so much support making it all work together is bound to be complicated.

And I'm too poor to justify paying to download wabbajack packs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The constant updates to Skyrim and Fallout 4 made me give up modding them because you'd have the script extender break after every update.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I still have my Skyrim install frozen from just before the Anniversary Patch.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Skyrim special edition doesn't seem to work with MO2. That or I was just doing something wrong when I tried. If I ever develop a strong desire to actually play Skyrim again I'll look more deeply into it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

2house2fly posted:

The Skyrim special edition doesn't seem to work with MO2. That or I was just doing something wrong when I tried. If I ever develop a strong desire to actually play Skyrim again I'll look more deeply into it

It's definitely the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the biggest hurdle to overcome when modding skyrim is that you have to play skyrim