Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

US is going to take from this the lesson that they can totally with a shooting war with China over Taiwan, whatever the outcome of the Ukraine war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

The government had a vested interest in making sure this did not happen often, so it rounded up large numbers of refugee slaves from contraband camps near the river system and put them to work for the woodlot owners.

Voluntarily?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The criticisms of Russian state control of economy is that the government monopolies don't contribute to the budget as much as they should. The other part of is this that Putin manages to herd the oligarch cats in a single direction. The state owned corporation are functionally private corporations that enrich their owners, but the owners can't just outright sabotage Russian national interests.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

likened him to a two-bit gangster running a protection racket.

And were they wrong huh?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Weka posted:

Voluntarily?

No, it was in the context of a capitalist system in which you must work or starve and/or die from exposure OP.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Lostconfused posted:

And were they wrong huh?

Yes, they were wrong. Donald Trump has many bits.

Orange Devil posted:

No, it was in the context of a capitalist system in which you must work or starve and/or die from exposure OP.

This must be one of those russo-fascist talking points.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

The criticisms of Russian state control of economy is that the government monopolies don't contribute to the budget as much as they should. The other part of is this that Putin manages to herd the oligarch cats in a single direction. The state owned corporation are functionally private corporations that enrich their owners, but the owners can't just outright sabotage Russian national interests.

Most SOEs are not really designed to amass huge profits but the first place but to soak up excess employment and to provide some public good/service. I think you could have mass layoffs at a bunch of state owned firms and get higher profits, but that isn’t the goal.

Also, even if there is cream skimmed off the top it isn’t “effectively make it private” if anything that sounds like an argument for actual privatization.

Honestly, it sounds a lot of libs who wouldn’t mind if the people from “the regions” died out.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i think we've learnt from this war and the pandemic that libs can handle huge body counts without blinking

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think we've learnt from this war and the pandemic that libs can handle huge body counts without blinking

Yeah, the whole thing about SOEs is so ridiculously transparent though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1619763118414110726

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

because without the donbas the russians dont have the industrial and farm land and the natural borders to secure their new province and make it viable, its literally the minimum they have to get to say they walked out of this disaster with any sort of positive win

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
WTF is TATO?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

fits my needs posted:

they did a photo op? they did a photo op!
slava ukraini

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1619295582878834688?s=20

The very first one is a photoshop from ages ago. These are fake pictures not representative of anything! :nallears:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

WTF is TATO?

not much what is tato with you?

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

because without the donbas the russians dont have the industrial and farm land and the natural borders to secure their new province and make it viable, its literally the minimum they have to get to say they walked out of this disaster with any sort of positive win

When the war ends with pen on paper the borders can be whatever the paper says. Your conditions of russian victory are oddly specific.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

DancingShade posted:

You just need to redefine victory to something vague and spin the narrative to your domestic audience that operation gently caress up was a total smashing success victory achieved.
Ukraine is holding off WW3.

The plan was for Russia to flatten the Ukraine, roll up Georgia and Moldova, then start sending LGM into the Baltics. At the same time China could invade Taiwan and the US suddenly finds itself in a two front war trying to project power to opposite sides of the world at once. So we'd have all the powers with nukes bar NK, Pakistan, and India all fighting each other. Ukraine is not the end of Putin's larger, long-term plan to destroy Europe — and Germany, particularly, whose reluctance to push back on Russia may lead to its end, and the end of many other democracies, if Ukraine cannot hold out.

If my desire to give Ukraine all of the materiel it needs makes me a simp for the military-industrial complex then give me a loving Raytheon hat and Lockheed Martin jersey because I don't want that alternative.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cromulent_Chill posted:

When the war ends with pen on paper the borders can be whatever the paper says. Your conditions of russian victory are oddly specific.

He has been saying for months that Russia will never get Bakhmut/Kramatorsk.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

He has been saying for months that Russia will never get Bakhmut/Kramatorsk.

Zelensky or Al-Saqr?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

The plan was for Russia to flatten the Ukraine, roll up Georgia and Moldova, then start sending LGM into the Baltics. At the same time China could invade Taiwan and the US suddenly finds itself in a two front war trying to project power to opposite sides of the world at once. So we'd have all the powers with nukes bar NK, Pakistan, and India all fighting each other. Ukraine is not the end of Putin's larger, long-term plan to destroy Europe — and Germany, particularly, whose reluctance to push back on Russia may lead to its end, and the end of many other democracies, if Ukraine cannot hold out.

If my desire to give Ukraine all of the materiel it needs makes me a simp for the military-industrial complex then give me a loving Raytheon hat and Lockheed Martin jersey because I don't want that alternative.

i thought syqs were banned

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Zelensky or Al-Saqr?

Yes

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tankbuster posted:

WTF is TATO?

It's a Baltics thing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

the succ is strong in this one

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Looks like the ukranians are sounding the alarm bells

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1620079943349866497?s=61&t=JxYpYcHA6zkGkFaF9oJLQQ

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

pretty crazy if true, i remember hearing a few weeks ago that ukraine had destroyed all of russias tanks, its airforce and killed 1m men including 40k on the banks of the dinper

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's this guy, and he's been doing PR photo ops in the trenches since like the start of the war lmao.

Dr Dunkaroos
Jan 29, 2023
it's really funny that while his army is being turned into paste and losing major holdings Zelensky cares more about the Olympics and Oscars. My man knows what side of the bread is buttered.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

More Jeni's ice cream on the way

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr Dunkaroos posted:

it's really funny that while his army is being turned into paste and losing major holdings Zelensky cares more about the Olympics and Oscars. My man knows what side of the bread is buttered.

only natural since his personal fortunes can survive without ukraine but not without western lib hagiography

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Source your quotes

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

only natural since his personal fortunes can survive without ukraine but not without western lib hagiography

Eventually there is going to be some suburb in Northern Virginia just populated by Guaidos.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Good on

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

WTF is TATO?

Boil em, mash em, put em in a stew

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I will say I'd take a raytheon and lockheed martin jersey

Maybe a rheinmetall jersey if it looks like the kf51 panther

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What happens militarily if Russia actually takes Bakhmut/Ukrainian positions there collapse? It doesn't seem like that big a deal looking at a map,

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

me a simp for the military-industrial complex, give me a loving Raytheon hat and Lockheed Martin jersey

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Dr Dunkaroos posted:

zelensky's main value-add as a ukrainian asset is that he's a democratically elected leader who's good at speaking pablum to ukraine's patrons. this is a strategically critical resource, so that sort of thing is genuinely useful. i really don't think there's many better things he can be doing than making sure that ukraine stays in american headlines

Lostconfused posted:

That's this guy, and he's been doing PR photo ops in the trenches since like the start of the war lmao.

a bewildering amount of the russian and ukrainian nationalists come out of the same milieu, with a fair few of them actually having switched sides as established, adult politicians

one of the top ukrainian generals, syrskyi, is an ethnic russian born, raised and trained in russia who happened to have been stationed in ukraine when the soviet union fell apart. looking into a bunch of the guys involved you find this sort of thing all the time, as with arestovych having old ties with dugin etc.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

icantfindaname posted:

What happens militarily if Russia actually takes Bakhmut/Ukrainian positions there collapse? It doesn't seem like that big a deal looking at a map,

the ukrainians retreat to another, less formidable defensive line. a lot of major fortifications in the donbass (avdiivka, e.g.) would be more difficult to keep in supply and might have to be abandoned, probably with non-trivial losses. the russians would renew their focus, probably on slavayansk. morale would take a serious hit. bakhmut is important as a fortress, a symbol and as a supply hub - without it, a lot of ukrainian positions become untenable.

it probably wouldn't be catastrophic, but it would be a blow

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it wouldn't be the end of the AFU but a lot of resources were and are still being spent trying to hold it, and if it falls and then Russians push farther West it is going to be hard and harder to contain them.

Also, in pro-Kiev circles, there is still hope of a big offensive to take Mariupol/Crimea, and in all honesty if the Donbass starts to fall apart that is just going to less and less physically possible, especially if the Russians start taking out the big fortified positions and victory becomes essentially hopeless.

----

Also, yeah, it is also about forcing the Ukrainians to commit more and more to battle. The spin is usually that the Russians are taking far more casualities with "human wave" attacks (of like 5 dudes) but are some how pushing forward due to mountains of bodies.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Jan 30, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

as with arestovych having old ties with dugin etc.

Actually that was a top secret mission he got handed by Ukrainian intelligence to infiltrate the Russian eurasian irredentists.

Please ignore all the ranting about orange lutherans that would probably pique FF's interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

icantfindaname posted:

They’re fighting a battle of attrition where the target is the Ukrainian Army itself. The terrain is only important insofar as it helps achieve that (high ground, threatening supply lines) and that it must be worth something to the Ukrainians for them to feed forces into the battle.

Verdun was part of the historical fortification system of France, but by 1916 the Western Front was continuous and, unlike the Belgian forts at Liege, taking Verdun would not cause the defence of France to collapse. Instead, Falkenhayn selected a target that would cause the French High Command to commit their Reserves to the battle, where they could be destroyed, causing the collapse of the French Army and therefore the entire front.