Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Pureauthor posted:

Getting Build skills seems not worth when you could just get Spd skills instead

A lot of characters will never get enough build to use the heaviest weapons without penalty, making Leifs +3 build a cheaper +3 speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Endorph posted:

also lapis's stats are about the same as kagetsu's in the longrun kagetsu just joins at a higher level than shed be. in general character stats are actually extremely tightly balanced. (except bunet, who is inexplicably terrible.)

Great Knights are a terrible class that is the midline between other cavalier units and general and has both weaknesses, hooray.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
In Hard Mode, Sigurd has been an absolute key emblem for my playthrough. I have him on my Paladin Goldmary, who is an absolute tank, and there are some obstacles that are far away but need to be dealt with or will cause significant pain such as freeze staffs, dragons, enemies with items on them or ballistas. Sigurd’s absurd movement bonuses help close those gaps and make those challenges much more manageable and Goldmary is so tanky that she shrugs off most attacks and counter attacks back. The engage attack is great and chunking out HP from a line of enemies and Canter is so ridiculously good for positioning that he deserves higher than B on that alone.

Panette Ike have been my go to “go alone into the middle of the enemy and kill everyone while tanking everything.” While they struggle against magic damage and chain attack cheese to some degree, they’ve gotten me MVP so many times that I’ve lost count. Adding Vantage from Leif also adds to he hilarity of the situation.

Outside of that, I’m surprised how much I enjoyed the Hounds towards the end of the game. Except maybe Marni. Her heel face turn was a bit out of nowhere for me to truly appreciate her. I loved the scene between Griss and Zephia at their final battle and I love love love Mauvier. I’d thought he’d be boring but I just ended up being charmed by him and ended up romancing him. Maybe I have a thing for brooding daddies. Veyle has been fun too, especially when she encounters the hounds in fights.

While I don’t think the writing is as solid as 3H, I enjoy the writing in Engage for what it is. It’s cheesy and schlocky, but we need that in our lives sometimes.

EDIT:

Pureauthor posted:

Getting Build skills seems not worth when you could just get Spd skills instead

Some characters I’ve used had extreme build problems *cough Etie and Veyle*. It’s a cheaper way to help with those issues plus if you really wanted to, you can stack speed AND build for shits and giggles.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 30, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Great Knights are a terrible class that is the midline between other cavalier units and general and has both weaknesses, hooray.
i mean even if you reclass bunet to something else his stats are also terrible

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Lmao this guy on youtube that does a lot of dumb challenge runs found a way to grind Framme to level 20 in Chapter 4 by abusing chain guard on a fort. Only took 2 hours!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Marth's niche is that you put him on Framme (or some other, lesser brave attacker) and are guaranteed to take out any boss health bar in a single turn while also looking cool, especially if they've got a tome/bow/dagger. It's not as OP as some of the others, but it never fails to make me smile. Also the combat preview gets fun:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So if you want Framme to get to level 20 in Chapter 4: Lure the boss southward to have more time, have Framme on a fort and have your human pincushion hurt by the boss and chain guard them from the fort next turn, repeat ad nauseum. You can get 2000 sp and Framme to 20 that way. The boss will always try to go for the kill and not realize Chain guard blocks the damage, even on Maddening.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

Alfred's averages at level 11 are

HP: 32
STR: 12
DEX: 12
SPD: 9
DEF: 12
RES: 7
LCK: 11

Amber's joining stats are

HP: 31
STR: 15
DEX: 13
SPD: 11
DEF: 9
RES: 3
LCK: 9

Their averages at level 20 are

Alfred

HP: 39
STR: 17
DEX: 16
SPD: 13
DEF: 17
RES: 9
LCK: 16

Amber

HP: 37
STR: 20
SKL: 16
SPD: 13
DEF: 12
RES: 4
LCK: 13

Obviously if you early promote either of them this varies but what's going on here is pretty clear. Amber will definitely beat out Alfred when he joins but over time Alfred is the tanky one and Amber is the strong one. I'd compare it to Lowen and Sain in FE7 or something.

Wow, I really didn’t give Alfred a fair shake. Seems like IkeFred could be a decently tanky combo with good mobility and full weapon triangle in his special class.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I ditched Alfred and that gang really fast once Diamant and his baller crew joined. Diamant himself seemed a bit underwhelming but he's a monster.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Diamant seems like he’s just a not-mercenary, ie a sword guy with good everything which seems real good so far. Was exceptionally rude to have him join after the cute sword lady that dilutes her milk because she was told it was unhealthy to drink it raw (wtf) but I’ll probably do another run with all the guys I benched eventually. Or maybe right after the first one, and see how far I get without using Engages…

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
She dilutes her milk because her secret shame (that she's constantly telling people about) is that she grew up in a comically poor rural village. They didn't have enough milk to go around.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Alfred gives a bad impression to many players because his bases are a little shaky to start and he's a lance unit who joins at almost the same time as Louis(who is a lance unit who is literally designed to poo poo on the early game singlehandedly due to his enormously lopsided stats that only start to hamper him later). Alfred has a very solid spread of growths that make him one of the most flexible physical combat units - he'll have over 50% growths in the relevant stats of basically any class you put him in. His default class is somewhat unimpressive compared to the unique skills of some of the other royals(it's basically great knight without the armor weakness and with worse bases), but there's a lot of options.

FrickenMoron posted:

Great Knights are totally fine. They are functionally just generals that trade unbreakability for +2 movement and some weapon flexibility, which is a reasonable trade - they have very similar growths and caps, with GKs having a tiny bit more speed and a tiny bit less str/def. Horsekiller weapons aren't honestly very common, even on maddening. They also have loving great bases; for reference, swapping my Alfred from Halberdier to Great Knight is a loss of 1 dex, 2 speed, and the backup class in exchange for a gain of 1 mov, 2 hp, 2 bld, and *7* defense.

A great knight tank requires you to care about the weapon triangle while a general doesn't, but the great knight has drastically superior mobility and also being broken can sometimes be tactically useful because the enemy AI is incredibly horny for breaks so you can manipulate the AI to some extent.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 30, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RoboCicero posted:

Speaking of, as someone who is in the middle of Eirika's paralogue because I don't remember people talking about it as much in the thread as Sigurd or Leif's paralogue, this is an absolute rear end in a top hat parade, especially all the griffon knights with magical weapons. I noticed all the enemy units have "Sacred Twins" on as their skill effect, but no information on what it does. Is it actually applying the +3 damage dealt / -3 damage received that Blue Skies provides, or is it something else?

It's actually Eirika's upgraded Blue Skies, so it's giving them all +5 damage dealt / -5 damage received

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wish the game had given me the tutorial for poison earlier in the game, you fight some throwing knifey guys before you get Yunaka and I couldn’t understand why my characters kept dying to seemingly weak opponents. I’m playing on hard so the game wouldn’t be too easy but sometimes it can be frustrating.

I got Anna and I don’t understand why the game dumped such a low level character on me when it seemed like even earlier recruits came at higher levels than her? Is she any good?

Last question, what does build do? Excuse me if there’s a tutorial I missed or neglected to read.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I wish the game had given me the tutorial for poison earlier in the game, you fight some throwing knifey guys before you get Yunaka and I couldn’t understand why my characters kept dying to seemingly weak opponents. I’m playing on hard so the game wouldn’t be too easy but sometimes it can be frustrating.

I got Anna and I don’t understand why the game dumped such a low level character on me when it seemed like even earlier recruits came at higher levels than her? Is she any good?

Last question, what does build do? Excuse me if there’s a tutorial I missed or neglected to read.

Anna has high magic growths but you need to put effort In her.

Build counters weapon weight. If a weapon weighs 10 and you have 5 BLD you lose 5 speed when wielding it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

She has the highest natural Magic growth in the game. She's amazing, but they put her in the "wrong" initial class for her growths.

Some people have kept her in her axe fighter role and gotten good results, but IMO she's best reclassed to Mage (or promoted first and reclassed to Mage Knight) ASAP. I made her a Mage Knight and gave her a Levin Sword, and now she's a delete button on a horse. And also her horse has a cute witch hat, which is a nice bonus.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Anna’s…okay. She’s the series mascot, that’s why I’m using her, and she bizarrely has like the highest magic growth in the game so she can eventually get real good at using magic weapons that run off the magic stat with enough time, or heck, just reclassing her into a mage class.

Build is the stat that mitigates weapon weight, specifically whatever’s left after [Character Build - Weapon Weight] is the penalty you take to your speed stat whenever you see red numbers there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Goldmary is a mood

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

lol I got this one last night

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Goldmary rules so much

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

She has the highest natural Magic growth in the game. She's amazing, but they put her in the "wrong" initial class for her growths.

Some people have kept her in her axe fighter role and gotten good results, but IMO she's best reclassed to Mage (or promoted first and reclassed to Mage Knight) ASAP. I made her a Mage Knight and gave her a Levin Sword, and now she's a delete button on a horse. And also her horse has a cute witch hat, which is a nice bonus.

Hmm okay. Too many character choices, I miss Three Houses lol I just got my first master seal (from the Anna recruit paralogue, didn’t catch the other chest thief though) do I need a second seal to reclass them into a different job?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hmm okay. Too many character choices, I miss Three Houses lol I just got my first master seal (from the Anna recruit paralogue, didn’t catch the other chest thief though) do I need a second seal to reclass them into a different job?

Yeah, you use a second seal to reclass them out of their initial class set. You can start buying them after chapter 8 if I remember correctly.

But also there are a lot of great characters in this so you're inevitably going to have to bench some. I'm in Chapter 20 now and sometimes I can't find room for Anna on my squad because I have so many other great units I also can't bring myself not to deploy. I think a lot of this game's replay value is just going to be as simple as "use an entirely different set of characters this time" and that'll probably work for like two whole replays with no overlap.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

you need a second seal and the character also needs proficiency in the weapon type that class uses. you can get proficiencies from building up bond levels with emblems. you can do that by either using them in battle with that character or going to the arena and spending bond fragments. celica and micaiah are the two that give tomes, so just toss a few bond fragments at them and youre set.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Paralogues scale with your army level, right? I feel like I don't have enough muscle to do Eirika's paralogue and I am wondering if I ever will

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

inthesto posted:

Paralogues scale with your army level, right? I feel like I don't have enough muscle to do Eirika's paralogue and I am wondering if I ever will

Only the divine paralogues should, why would they recommend a level otherwise? Maybe I'm wrong though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No, they have the enemy levels in the bottom corner of the world map, same as they do for normal maps.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Hortensia’s retainers are absolutely amazing. Rosado and Goldmary are great characters and while I don’t like Hortensia as much, I don’t hate her as much as I did earlier in the story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't decide if Hortensia has grown on me as a character or if she's just so incredibly useful in battle that I've decided I have to like her no matter what

Hortensia + Micaiah is very very funny. Yeah sure I'll turn my Mend staves into 1-3 range AoE heals. Yeah I'd love to freeze five enemies with one staff charge and then not actually consume that staff charge because of her class skill, thank you

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

This man is a complete idiot and I love him for it. While I don’t use him in my party, his supports are a delight.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Harrow posted:

I can't decide if Hortensia has grown on me as a character or if she's just so incredibly useful in battle that I've decided I have to like her no matter what

In my experience it’s really easy to convince myself I like characters if they’re really strong, or that I don’t care for them if they’re useless on the battlefield. Fire Emblem can be funny that way.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jimmydalad posted:

This man is a complete idiot and I love him for it. While I don’t use him in my party, his supports are a delight.

whoops, that dude was recruitable? I thought he had a weird amount of focus and dialogue for a relatively weak stage midboss but I completely missed him

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Harrow posted:

Hortensia + Micaiah is very very funny. Yeah sure I'll turn my Mend staves into 1-3 range AoE heals. Yeah I'd love to freeze five enemies with one staff charge and then not actually consume that staff charge because of her class skill, thank you

Hortensia has also really grown on me. She's obviously super useful as a unit but I think I enjoy basically all of her supports. Her character is so earnest in what she wants and who she is, I can't help it. Almost like Engage as a whole, everything feels so earnest and charming.

I still don't love her design, although her casual outfit owns. Really wish we could wear whatever to battle.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zore posted:

whoops, that dude was recruitable? I thought he had a weird amount of focus and dialogue for a relatively weak stage midboss but I completely missed him

If someone has a portrait and personal skill they're recruitable.

And RE: Casual outfits, there's a mod already for it existing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

alear and the elusian princesses can recruit him, yeah. hes pretty whatever as a unit, certainly no pent, but hes not awful.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought he was OP with the dire thunder ring

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Almost like Engage as a whole, everything feels so earnest and charming.

"Earnest and charming" is a great description of Engage, yeah. I can see why people compared it to Dragon Quest or FFV a bit before release, because the main strengths of its story and cast are just that it's shamelessly earnest and is all-in on charm above all else. That absolutely works on me every time.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
every royal+retainer grouping does the same sort of thing from fates where the retainers remix a character gimmick (and usually make it better) and share a crit quote

... except for the elusians, which don't have a shared crit quote. and it's difficult to say if ivy's posse shares a gimmick either it's all a little more vague

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

There's a funny strat you can do with Lindon and Micaiah; since he starts with 2000 SP you can immediately inherit Roy's Hold Out to him and he'll become immortal for 3 turns with Nosferatu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think Ivy's posse is supposed to be the obsessive personalities, but they don't really stand out given that that's nearly everyone's gimmick.

Also while Hortensia has an actual personality and some good supports, my favorite of hers is Céline where she keeps trying to challenge her to a cute-off and Céline absolutely bodies her without even trying. It's cute.