Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ivy's retainers are both foreign to the setting as a whole, and ivy doesnt worship the fell dragon unlike the other elusians. so its abstract but there is that commonality of being an outsider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posadas
Jan 28, 2021

Cynic Jester posted:

A lot of characters will never get enough build to use the heaviest weapons without penalty, making Leifs +3 build a cheaper +3 speed.

Not sure if skill costs vary by difficulty, but for me, it's 500SP for both Leif's Build +3 and Lyn's Speed + 3, though the latter needs level 9 while the former is available from the start. Though I guess this means that you can get both to offset a heavy weapon by 6 speed

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Harrow posted:

"Earnest and charming" is a great description of Engage, yeah. I can see why people compared it to Dragon Quest or FFV a bit before release, because the main strengths of its story and cast are just that it's shamelessly earnest and is all-in on charm above all else. That absolutely works on me every time.

I was ready to come into this with skepticism as one of those anniversary games that just relies on nostalgic value like FE Heroes. Admittedly, the Somnium stuff wore me down. Then I realised that poo poo was optional and fell in love with the sincerity of the story-telling, trite as it is. It’s a different experience to Three Houses and that’s fine.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hoping the FE4 remake has some type of the same system with Engages and all that. The Engage system is very much like the turnwheel in that this simply can’t go away because it’s so much of a paradigm shift for the gameplay

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tired Moritz posted:

I thought he was OP with the dire thunder ring

Virtually every mage is at least decent to good with the dire thunder ring, with the lower spd/higher mag mages like Ivy/Citrinne/Lindon making slightly better use of it than the faster/weaker mages.

The dire thunder ring is so good that there's a legitimate debate between equipping it or an emblem ring sometimes, and that's something I wish was true for way more of the bond rings, especially given how much of the game you spend with bond rings on 80% of your cast. Imagine if every S rank ring had an ability as impactful as Olwen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Virtually every mage is at least decent to good with the dire thunder ring, with the lower spd/higher mag mages like Ivy/Citrinne/Lindon making slightly better use of it than the faster/weaker mages.

The dire thunder ring is so good that there's a legitimate debate between equipping it or an emblem ring sometimes, and that's something I wish was true for way more of the bond rings, especially given how much of the game you spend with bond rings on 80% of your cast. Imagine if every S rank ring had an ability as impactful as Olwen.

I'm sorta glad they aren't because then I'd feel like I have to be playing the ring gacha for The Good Rings a lot more than I actually do and that might be kind of a drag

Now if there was a less annoying way to get bond rings and more of them were really impactful? Yeah that'd be the good stuff

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Harrow posted:

I'm sorta glad they aren't because then I'd feel like I have to be playing the ring gacha for The Good Rings a lot more than I actually do and that might be kind of a drag

Now if there was a less annoying way to get bond rings and more of them were really impactful? Yeah that'd be the good stuff

Ideally if every S rank was at least somewhat good you'd be able to find something useful in every S rank pull instead of desperately fishing through 150 leif ring pulls to get olwen and then never interacting with the system ever again.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
The S-rank Claude bond ring gives +1 range to bows if the wearer is at max hp. Not as game-changing as dire thunder, but having 4-range longbows can be pretty useful.
I've always save scummed in FE games, restarting if I get a bad level-up on the first turn or two, so I guess I don't mind just doing two 10-ring rolls after every battle and reloading if I don't anything S-rank

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Does anyone know how the arena XP formula works? Usually I get around 20-30 EXP per battle but my lv 7 Lance Fighter Jean just got 50 per victory. I thought it might have been based ok the opponent since the first was Vander but my lv 10 Etie gave 50 EXP also. Or is it chapter/character difference based?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It depends if you win or lose. Also having byleth/Edelgard skills multiplies the xp gain.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FrickenMoron posted:

It depends if you win or lose. Also having byleth/Edelgard skills multiplies the xp gain.

Thing is I usually saw 30 EXP for winning. And Jean had no Lineage, but Tiki to try abd rig growths.

Unless it doesn't work, cause edging people to close to a level and then using Tiki+Arena to get levelups with 15% extra growth does sound a bit OP.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't think any passive ring effects work in the arena, because you don't count as having any rings equipped while you're fighting in there.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Kanos posted:

I don't think any passive ring effects work in the arena, because you don't count as having any rings equipped while you're fighting in there.

Inheriting the edelgard skill works, my Clann went from gaining 20xp every loss to 24.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like they either didn't balance the farmyard feature at all, or whoever designed it just absolutely loves dogs above all other kinds of animal. Having a yard full of nothing but dogs gives you an incredible amount of forge materials, like at least ten times more than you'd get just normally playing the game. No other benefit you can get from that feature comes anywhere close.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ephraimdev also love dogs

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, they might be balanced if you couldn’t trade a silver ingot for like 90 iron ones but as is it’s kinda goofy to get Rare Fruit x1 from a donkey and then two silver ingots I can trade for 180 iron ones.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Consider though; it is hilarious to see a bunch of camels standing around in the tiny pen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its very funny that amber constantly talks about alpacas but alpacas arent actually in the game

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I heard this game doesn't really have a new game plus. Does it have anything where you can carry over your supports to a new game, or a main menu support listing that is populated from all your playthroughs? Just wondering if I should game my support collections across any replays or just let whatever happens happen and watch what I miss on youtube.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
for me the dogs giving infinite ingots is balanced by the fact that i am perpetually out of money. whenever you get the "recieved war funds from [x] nation" im like "oh thank god, i can buy more healing staves"

i'm not sure how you're intended to ever finish the donation levels

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Inheriting the edelgard skill works, my Clann went from gaining 20xp every loss to 24.

Inherited skills work, because they're part of the character. Anything you need the ring to provide doesn't because you're not wearing the ring in the arena. If you learned, say, Tiki's Starsphere through inheritance, that works in the arena. If you're getting Starsphere from the ring, it won't.

Blaziken386 posted:

I guess they're only numerically possible if you're playing on a difficulty that lets you grind a ton of skirmishes? The donation prices feel kind of like SP costs where the more expensive steps are tuned ludicrously high beyond the possibility of what you're going to reasonably achieve in a single playthrough without some kind of artificial grind.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 30, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bagrada posted:

I heard this game doesn't really have a new game plus. Does it have anything where you can carry over your supports to a new game, or a main menu support listing that is populated from all your playthroughs? Just wondering if I should game my support collections across any replays or just let whatever happens happen and watch what I miss on youtube.

the somniel has a support replay feature in your room that im pretty sure populates with the supports you've seen across all playthroughs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think a lot of the bigger grinds in the game are meant to be a sort of "postgame," or that's my guess. Same for things like the Tempest Trials, given how high enemies can scale there, or the super high SP cost skills that you'd never get naturally on a normal playthrough.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Blaziken386 posted:

for me the dogs giving infinite ingots is balanced by the fact that i am perpetually out of money. whenever you get the "recieved war funds from [x] nation" im like "oh thank god, i can buy more healing staves"

You aren't, would be my first bet. Theoretically you could grind them out over a hundred skirmishes, but you're clearly not intended to max everything out in a single playthrough.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

also lapis's stats are about the same as kagetsu's in the longrun kagetsu just joins at a higher level than shed be. in general character stats are actually extremely tightly balanced. (except bunet, who is inexplicably terrible.)

I'm sure Bunet's personal skill makes up for his terrible stats. Now to take a big sip of water and read what it actually is.

(I appreciate that Byleth exists to give even lackluster units an emblem ring to wield, but unfortunately in my game it's stapled to Alear who has just an abysmal amount of strength)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
maybe its useful if you make him a mage and pick up that celica packed lunch skill

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have no idea how to feel about Bunet. On the one hand, literally every interjection he has on the Somniel or after battle is about his one gimmick and I haven't seen any supports to see whether he has an actual personality somewhere, but on the other hand, some of those interjections are about licking rocks just in case they're tasty.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

one of his wake-up lines is asking if he can eat your pillow

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Late game boss spoiler. In the mission with the avalanches, how the hell are you supposed to survive the boss' opening attack? It does 8x9 damage

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Spermando posted:

Late game boss spoiler. In the mission with the avalanches, how the hell are you supposed to survive the boss' opening attack? It does 8x9 damage

I'm assuming a unit with high enough defense can tank it, but you can also lure them in with a decoy from Lyn's engage ability, Hold Out (Roy Synch ability), or if you have the DLC, someone with Tiki's Divine Blessing.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I have no idea how to feel about Bunet. On the one hand, literally every interjection he has on the Somniel or after battle is about his one gimmick and I haven't seen any supports to see whether he has an actual personality somewhere, but on the other hand, some of those interjections are about licking rocks just in case they're tasty.

I put him and pandreo together for my b-team tour of the paralogues and can recommend

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
You can solve 99% of problems with melee enemies by immobilizing them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm starting to get the impression that everybody's official wacky gimmick has some surprisingly deep explanation of it buried in a random support somewhere, which makes me wonder what that explanation would be for Bunet.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm assuming a unit with high enough defense can tank it, but you can also lure them in with a decoy from Lyn's engage ability, Hold Out (Roy Synch ability), or if you have the DLC, someone with Tiki's Divine Blessing.

The clones did the trick. Thanks.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spermando posted:

There's also a loading screen tip that says units currently in engage mode take less damage from engage attacks. Idk how much the damage reduction is but it's something

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mild complaint: I'm slightly sad that most of the Solm characters' names got translated away from the dessert references they're supposed to be (also naming characters from the desert after desserts is a pretty funny meta-pun)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Personal Skill tier list (not ordered within tiers):

Would be good on a unit with 0 in all stats except movement:
Alear
Veyle

Does something useful frequently/does something very useful occasionally:
Boucheron
Chloe
Yunaka
Alcryst
Zelkov
Panette
Hortensia
Seadall
Rosado
Goldmary
Lindon
Anna
Jean

Does something useful occasionally/does something less useful frequently:
Framme
Alfred
Louis
Citrinne
Lapis
Diamant
Amber
Jade
Kagetsu
Pandreo
Timerra
Merrin
Saphir
Mauvier

Technically does something:
Vander
Clanne
Etie
Celine
Ivy
Fogado
Bunet

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
This game seems to be pretty good about dishing out experience and money. I'm only on chapter 8 on Hard so far, and despite rejecting the very concept of a bench as an arcane relic of the past, every character in my army other than Anna and Jean is higher than the recommended level. And the game keeps generating skirmishes.

I'm more worried about my units not having access to seals, more than anything. I have two masters and am hesitant to use them immediately, because I don't want to potentially screw someone else up.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
What is Maddening like play-wise? Will you be playing a similar style to Hard just with an efficient team and utilizing every system to your advantage, or is it like FE awakening Lunatic+ where if any enemy unit ever gets to initiate an attack you lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I feel like the whole "new recruits are more busted than your previous ones" is more likely that we've grown accustomed to meh to just usable prepromotes in the last games.

I checked out Fogado and Alcryst since they're the same level, and Alcryst has a massive Dex advantage with 1 point in Str and a few more on Def, while Fogado has much, much more Spd and Res. Fogado has a horse but Tireur's class skill is Luna going off Alcryst's ridiculous Dex, while Fogado's seems to be a shittier Vengeance.

Bunet does seem bad god, he has around the same def as my unpromoted Jade but worse speed and gets weighed down like a baby.