Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

I understand people don't like it because it interrupts the flow Zelda games normally have but considering it's a concession for the game having quite a bit of cut content, I think it actually turned out pretty well considering it requires you to actually explore the ocean. It only feels like a brick wall if you've been going on the beaten path up until that point.

Agreed. The only part that I think felt like an excessively egregious way to pad/waste time was having to pay so much for repeated Tingle charts while the game rubbed your nose into how annoying and pointless it was. I think in the updated version you only need to buy... one or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Agreed. The only part that I think felt like an excessively egregious way to pad/waste time was having to pay so much for repeated Tingle charts while the game rubbed your nose into how annoying and pointless it was. I think in the updated version you only need to buy... one or two?

Yeah you only need to pay Tingle 3/8 times in the remake iirc. I don't think the paywall's as bad as it's made out to be considerimg Wind Waker gives out rupees like candy in the base case and you have a massive wallet, but a lot of people do find it tedious so streamlining it was probably a good decision. Still can't stand what they did with the artstyle in the remake.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is an option in the Goldeneye watch menu to switch in to 16:9 widescreen and it gets rid of the borders which is nice, and I think it does it without stretching the image, poetentially giving you more FOV?

Something to try anyway

Yeah, Goldeneye and a bunch of Rare games were ahead of their time and have native widescreen support. Its good poo poo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

flavor.flv posted:

Look up Pokemon Stars

Uh, excuse me, it was released as a two-pack, along with F-Zero Rammers. :colbert:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I managed to get my fingers around Wind Waker HD and I have to say I hope Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2: The Queen's Corgi's is delayed until 2024 so Nintendo will release Wind Waker on Switch.

The original Wind Waker came out during a weird time in my life when I was in college and addicted to BF1942 and the original Planetside, so I missed out on playing it. I've never seen a game that so closely captures the feeling of living a cartoon before. It's wild and perfect in every way.

congratulations on finally discovering the best 3d zelda game

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Still can't stand what they did with the artstyle in the remake.

nintendo has a bad track record with lighting in zelda remasters, which was the real problem in wwhd. oot 3d also had this problem and i frankly found it even worse there, it completely obliterated the atmosphere in like, every single dungeon.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
There was a recent Did You Know Gaming video about wind waker, apparently miyamoto hated the art style. I was surprised to hear that

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

WHY BONER NOW posted:

There was a recent Did You Know Gaming video about wind waker, apparently miyamoto hated the art style. I was surprised to hear that

It didn't remind him of anything in his garden.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
didn't miyamoto hate DKC'S art style too. beneath the warmth and smiles lurks a vicious bastard

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think he liked the style but hated the gameplay, he was right

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

flavor.flv posted:

Look up Pokemon Stars

This sounds as real as the Switch Pro which totally was going to exist you guys

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Len posted:

This sounds as real as the Switch Pro which totally was going to exist you guys

It will totally exist on March 28th, for sure.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

didn't miyamoto hate DKC'S art style too.

no. he cleared that misconception up in an iwata asks at some point, it was apparently down to an interview he did in japan that got misconstrued due to a game of mistranslation telephone.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd pretty much take every single Miyamoto myth with a grain of salt. I don't think he hated the way Wind Waker looked or played.

The only true tidbits about Miyamoto are that he was scared by a dog and created the chain chomp, that he wanted you to shake hands with everyone at the hospital at the end of Goldeneye, he couldn't stop climbing trees on the great plateau in BOTW and that he acted as Horishi Yamauchi's personal hitman in the death of rival star designer Gunpei Yokoi.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

American McGay posted:

I'd pretty much take every single Miyamoto myth with a grain of salt. I don't think he hated the way Wind Waker looked or played.

The only true tidbits about Miyamoto are that he was scared by a dog and created the chain chomp, that he wanted you to shake hands with everyone at the hospital at the end of Goldeneye, he couldn't stop climbing trees on the great plateau in BOTW and that he acted as Horishi Yamauchi's personal hitman in the death of rival star designer Gunpei Yokoi.

:hmmyes: i stand corrected on DKC but maintain the vicious bastard remark

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've lost count of the number of times "Japanese dev drops hot take" has turned out to be poor context or translation so yeah I generally take that with a bit of salt

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The one about Boos being based off of Takashi Tezuka's wife getting mad at him for being away from home due to work is true.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

American McGay posted:

The rumored Paper Mario mandates are probably also massively exaggerated/misconstrued

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

nintendo has a bad track record with lighting in zelda remasters, which was the real problem in wwhd. oot 3d also had this problem and i frankly found it even worse there, it completely obliterated the atmosphere in like, every single dungeon.

I don't think it was that bad outside the Forest Temple and the Ganon fight. The Well and Shadow Temple got censored (I think Dead Hand looks even creepier in 3D) but I don't recall the atmosphere feeling off at all.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

the rat fandom posted:

The rumored Paper Mario mandates are probably also massively exaggerated/misconstrued

probably. a grand chain of conspiracies regarding brand consistency and licensing, likely to be undone in a few years by an interview where someone says "oh, we just thought no one cared about those characters. I'm glad you liked them"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There are rumours (yeah I know :rolleyes:) of Advance Wars getting a release soon, from their eshop uhhh.... store ID? Store info?... something getting updated recently.

Edit: This is what I'm talking about.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is how i've been playing Golden Eye 64 on the Switch. :hellyeah: Really glad I bought one when they were still available, it has been completely worth it for playing N64 games.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
N64 controller is
Good

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

anyway in anticipation of tears of the kingdom, i've been replaying botw and man, that's a pretty good video game

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There are rumours (yeah I know :rolleyes:) of Advance Wars getting a release soon, from their eshop uhhh.... store ID? Store info?... something getting updated recently.

Edit: This is what I'm talking about.

World peace is rapidly approaching.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Jesus, the DLC pass for all 4 updates for fire emblem is 30 bucks and you can't buy the current expansion standalone?

I'm halfway through the campaign and I figured it would be a good time to get the additional emblem rings plus paralogs, but I am not going to prepay 30 bucks for content that is going to be churned out over the next year. I just paid full price for this game! I figured the dlc rings would be nice tools to soften some of the bite of hard classic if things keep ramping up but you know what gently caress that

I'll just lower the difficulty instead if I get stuck anywhere. Smh 30 bucks for two emblem rings and a few bonus trial maps. Two of the three remaining updates are just more emblem rings too so that's a pass from me dawg

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Don't think I'll let my kids play this one, but Trek to Yomi looks wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzHg870vglo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ragequit posted:

it's pretty mediocre unfortunately

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It certainly favors style over gameplay but I enjoyed it*

*for free on Xbox Game Pass

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ragequit posted:

I'm more about the Trek to Yoni, if you know what I mean

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

American McGay posted:

Hey, he's onto something. The first time I played Mario 64 as a kid, I must have spent at least an hour climbing and jumping off the trees outside Peach's castle. :allears:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I said come in! posted:

This is how i've been playing Golden Eye 64 on the Switch. :hellyeah: Really glad I bought one when they were still available, it has been completely worth it for playing N64 games.

The rumble feeling just like it used to is A+++. A packet of Haribo and the first Euphoria compilation on CD and it's like I've time-travelled back to being happy again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Started on Fire Emblem Engage this morning, I am in love with the pet adoption mechanic and want to try my best to get every possible pet that I can.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

American McGay posted:

that he wanted you to shake hands with everyone at the hospital at the end of Goldeneye

.... what?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

My only memory of this game on the Wii is renting is with two other friends way back when. We were playing a game with a COM player, it was taking forever, then suddenly because the other player was in last place, it turned into a demon (?) and got like ten dice to roll with for movement. It took this opportunity to absolutely snipe us by, for example, rolling a 45 then figuring out exactly how many loops of a few small tracks it needed to take so that the remainder would place it exactly on any of our spaces, at which point it, being a demon, would obliterate us in combat. So you'd just see the movement number show up, then the thing absolutely blitz across the track and spin three times around a small circle, go forward, spin two more times around another circle, then land directly on the closest person.

We never did finish that game.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I was gonna say "Oh, that's a trophy in Smash", but that's Doshin the Giant, not Dokapon Kingdom. :doh:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

I was gonna say "Oh, that's a trophy in Smash", but that's Doshin the Giant, not Dokapon Kingdom. :doh:

I freakin’ wish Doshin the Giant was coming to switch.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sports Story got a patch. Fixes for, among other things, the secret developer gripe room.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GoldenEye thread, is there a good walkthrough with screenshots of objectives? Would be cool to see a pic of the doodads I'm looking for etc. Fun stuff, just played the first two levels, holds up! Mowing fools down, for England.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

anyway in anticipation of tears of the kingdom, i've been replaying botw and man, that's a pretty good video game

Absolutely! Let the hype flow

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Heavy Metal posted:

GoldenEye thread, is there a good walkthrough with screenshots of objectives? Would be cool to see a pic of the doodads I'm looking for etc. Fun stuff, just played the first two levels, holds up! Mowing fools down, for England.

Absolutely! Let the hype flow

https://archive.org/details/Nintendo_Players_Guide_N64_007_GoldenEye/mode/1up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

https://archive.org/details/Nintendo_Players_Guide_N64_007_GoldenEye

Edit: lol