Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's only been like, at most, maybe a week since they died, given Bill's last radio broadcast went out the night Joel, Ellie and Tess left the QZ. So they wouldn't be all that decomposed yet. But yes, gay skeletons would have been rad as gently caress.

They mentioned that the radio is meant to automatically play the 80s playlist if it hasn't been touched for a couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah there was literally a conversation about it where Ellie's like "why is the music still on?"

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Phylodox posted:

My only complaint, and I realize it’s entirely a me thing, was that old Frank looked entirely too much like Jordan Peterson, to the point that I was a bit distracted by it.

That’s on you for knowing what Jordan Peterson looks like

I’m still baffled by the person in one of these threads that said they wanted Nick Offerman cast as Joel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cacator posted:

They mentioned that the radio is meant to automatically play the 80s playlist if it hasn't been touched for a couple of weeks.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah there was literally a conversation about it where Ellie's like "why is the music still on?"

Ah, I misheard the part about the automated transmission. I'd just assumed that Bill hit the 80s playlist to get Joel to visit the compound before him and Frank went off to bed to die. The distress broadcast being on a dead man switch makes more sense.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Joel picks up that dish of last meal, that can't be more than 1 week old.

Bill really should have dig a grave and figure out a way to bury Frank and himself together. Die on the bed out in the open will attract all kind of fry and bugs and wild animals.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The letter is dated August, isn't it?

Given what they're walking around in and Boston weather it's no more than like a month.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its kind of appropriate for a gay man to select the 80s music as signaling trouble. Kind of interesting.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

The letter is dated August, isn't it?

Given what they're walking around in and Boston weather it's no more than like a month.

The letter is August. As for the present? September 23rd is in my head for some reason but I'm not sure when that date was thrown out.

It's only been a month or so. I understand Joel respecting Bill's wishes to not enter the bedroom, but I would have ignored that, got a very thick bandana to block the smell, and dug a grave.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Bill really should have dig a grave and figure out a way to bury Frank and himself together. Die on the bed out in the open will attract all kind of fry and bugs and wild animals.

He probably liked the idea of dying in Frank's arms a lot more than he cared about what happened after that. Who gives a poo poo if a squirrel eats your corpse? It's the apocalypse.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Morrow posted:

The letter is August. As for the present? September 23rd is in my head for some reason but I'm not sure when that date was thrown out.

Isn't September 23 the day Joel said that the infection spread in 2003?

Exodor fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 30, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
pretty sure 23rd sep was the date the jakarta segment was set. one day before the 24th when the sarah section is set.

i don't know if we have a specific date for the present day, it just said '20 years later"

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Exodor posted:

Isn't September 23 the day Joel said that the infection spread in 2003?

There we go, yes.

It's possible the showrunners are being very precise when they said it was "twenty years ago/later" and in any case many minor details point to it being about a month or so.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It pretty clearly didn't say "19 years, 11 months, and 24 days later" or "20 years and 2 days later".

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If this world share the same history as the real world pre 2003, Bin Ladin would be alive during the out break, and he would claim responsibility of the virus.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

nate fisher posted:

They nailed it and I agree with all the praises of the show so far. That said it is different seeing an adaptation of a work you love that was already done in another cinematic format. With a book it is all in your mind and it always different than the adaptation. Here it was so one to one to the game that I could understand how someone who played the game feels like this is more a rewatch instead of something new. I know we have several differences and additions coming and I don’t count that as negative to the show. Honestly I enjoyed seeing the reactions from the non-gamers that watched it with me as much as I enjoyed the pilot.
Somehow I never played The Last of Us. That car chase scene, the way it was shot, I knew it had to be 1:1 for how the videogame was. It was loving great and I felt like I was playing a videogame lol.

Even though I know the whole TLoU plot, what through time/internet/etc., it's been great to see how it all plays out. I've just watched the first 2 episodes, but this is fantastic so far.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Here's the thing, in the modern era of 10-episode TV seasons, I can kind of see where you're coming from. It's getting rare for shows to spend a whole episode trying something different artistically, or even just going really deep into fictional world they are building. You used to see it a lot more in (Edited: episodic) shows like the X-Files (Jose Chung's From Outer Space and Post-Modern Prometheus come to mind). Star Trek TNG used to do it with the holodeck and with an episode like The Inner Light, or I would argue Tapestry. It's a bigger gamble when you only have 10 episodes to work with. But the bigger the gamble, the bigger the reward if you pull it off. These episodes can be polarizing though. I adored Ted Lasso's Beard After Hours and Mando's Chapter 5: The Gunslinger, but a lot of people found them boring or weird. Beard After Hours is an example of the kind of episode where the creative team stretches out artistically a little. The Gunslinger is an example of the slow down to tell a really intimate story that adds a ton of depth to the world the show takes place in. The lizard lady in that episode showed that in the Mando universe, all the "weird" aliens aren't just make up suits to establish a shot, they are fully-fleshed out characters with their own motivations and struggles trying to make it in the Star Wars universe.

Last night's episode of Last of Us was the latter. It took a pause to show you that all of those skulls were once real people. At first the show did this literally with the fade from the clothing on the skeletons to the flashback of the people while they were still alive. Then they did it more thematically by telling and showing as a beautiful love story that all served to explain how our protagonists were able to obtain a good vehicle and supplies for a cross country roadtrip in the middle of the end of the world. All while giving Joel an important lesson he needed to be reminded of, right when he needed to be reminded of it after losing Tess.

When they did the fade from the mass grave to people wearing those clothes I was fully expecting it to be a brief flashback showing the military rounding up civilians, something going to poo poo, military gunning down people, then return to the present day because that's what any other post-apocalyptic show would do.

That they used that flashback to segue into an episode-long love story told over many years with characters we've never seen before is an incredibly bold choice for S01E03 of a serialised drama. It speaks of a confidence held by the showrunners and the execs at HBO that they have something really good on their hands. And it absolutely worked. I remember Bill from playing the game years ago. I don't remember Frank ,so that whole relationship which I guess was only alluded to in the game was new to me and brought me to tears.

They took one of the most videogamey scenarios from the game and turned it into an amazing hour of actors just delivering incredible intimate performances.

I did like the little nods to the game though, like Joel finding a machine tooling desk in the basement and Ellie rifling through drawers looking for upgrades.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I laughed out loud at that caption. You know, the Massachusetts Rockies.

It reminded me of the mountains and desert surrounding Dallas in the X-Files movie.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.
That episode was a masterpiece.

I was so sure that Bill was going to have his hospitality taken advantage of and my anxiety was in full swing and instead I got one of the most beautiful love stories I’ve seen on screen in a long time.

Not ashamed to say I was ugly crying throughout the middle to last third, and then the gut punch of ‘On the Nature of Daylight’ brought in Arrival vibes and I was ruined.

So proud of seeing an underrepresented LGBTIQA+ segment shown so beautifully on prestige TV, but of course Naughty Dog and team were going to nail that.

Like the game, I’ll remember and meditate on S01E03 for a long time.

Bravo guys.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

smackfu posted:

To be honest, didn’t love that shot for that reason. “Please don’t keep zooming out” is not the response you want in your audience.

That shot is an Easter egg to the opening loading screen of the game before you press X to start. It shows an open window with wind gently blowing the curtains.

MyLightyear fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 30, 2023

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

This is slight spoilers, but I'll post here as the spoiler thread is.....having a moment.

Was Frank even in the game? I Honestly do not remember, as I haven't played it since release. I remember Bill at least mentioning his name.

Either way, this episode was fantastic, and I'm glad they did it this way instead of just adopting what happens in the game. Here's hoping this episode gets some Emmy nods!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This is slight spoilers, but I'll post here as the spoiler thread is.....having a moment.

Was Frank even in the game? I Honestly do not remember, as I haven't played it since release. I remember Bill at least mentioning his name.

Either way, this episode was fantastic, and I'm glad they did it this way instead of just adopting what happens in the game. Here's hoping this episode gets some Emmy nods!

Already dead. IIRC, you find his body after he hanged himself because he got infected and didn't want to turn. He was leaving Bill because he was sick of his survivalist ways.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I laughed out loud at that caption. You know, the Massachusetts Rockies.

I also laughed at the notion of Bill driving from outside Boston down to New Bedford to pick up gas.

stephenthinkpad posted:

If this world share the same history as the real world pre 2003, Bin Ladin would be alive during the out break, and he would claim responsibility of the virus.

In the alternate history of The Last of Us, the infection was spread by the post-9/11 anthrax mailer.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
what does the infection do to animals? we've seen in the show people are eating chickens, and Bill had a large animal carcass being dressed in this last episode, and we hear birds chirping, so I guess the planet spawning underground fungus doesn't bother them?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Arist posted:

To be honest, someone not liking this episode kind of signals to me that they want something I fundamentally just don't understand out of this, and when I say "this," I mean "the medium of television."

All right, you all already jumped all over that last guy, but what the hell, I didn't like that episode either. Bored to tears. I mean, I'm not gonna say it was BAD, it was obviously a well-done, heartfelt story, but...that's not what I signed up for, yknow? We got an hour-long, mostly-disconnected love story when I thought we were going to watch the further adventures of Gruff Dad and Spunky Kid in the zombie apocalypse. I didn't know who Nick Offerman's character was before the episode, and I'm not sure why I was supposed to care about him so much. Echoing another poster here: if he had joined up with Joel and Ellie at the end, then it would make sense that we'd get to know his backstory (even if it's still a flow-destroying bottle episode) but as-is it just felt unrelated and unnecessary.

Like, I'm not into Minecraft. It just isn't interesting for me. I know it's a good game, it's critically acclaimed, millions of people love it, but if you made me play Minecraft for 45 minutes before I could play more Elden Ring, I think I'd have a reasonable complaint.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Demon Of The Fall posted:

what does the infection do to animals? we've seen in the show people are eating chickens, and Bill had a large animal carcass being dressed in this last episode, and we hear birds chirping, so I guess the planet spawning underground fungus doesn't bother them?

Probably makes for good food to rest of the creatures of Earth. This is one of the things a lot of zombie stories always seem to miss out on, the fact that zombies are dumb piles of free meat for 90% of the creatures on this planet. Back when we still watched TWD my wife and I always used to joke that there was no way a zombie could sneak up on you, because any zombie would be preceded by a cacophony of scavenger birds, and 300+ species of flies and beetles laying their eggs in the zombie flesh. One of the things I liked about the TLoU games was that the infected really didn't appear much in rural nature, probably because they were easy pickings for any animal that could easily take them down.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phenotype posted:

All right, you all already jumped all over that last guy, but what the hell, I didn't like that episode either. Bored to tears. I mean, I'm not gonna say it was BAD, it was obviously a well-done, heartfelt story, but...that's not what I signed up for, yknow? We got an hour-long, mostly-disconnected love story when I thought we were going to watch the further adventures of Gruff Dad and Spunky Kid in the zombie apocalypse. I didn't know who Nick Offerman's character was before the episode, and I'm not sure why I was supposed to care about him so much. Echoing another poster here: if he had joined up with Joel and Ellie at the end, then it would make sense that we'd get to know his backstory (even if it's still a flow-destroying bottle episode) but as-is it just felt unrelated and unnecessary.

Like, I'm not into Minecraft. It just isn't interesting for me. I know it's a good game, it's critically acclaimed, millions of people love it, but if you made me play Minecraft for 45 minutes before I could play more Elden Ring, I think I'd have a reasonable complaint.

Ellie literally reads a letter in which the show tells you why these characters are relevant.

If Bill and Frank had absolutely never met Joel and Tess and the final letter was just to Whomever then their story would still make sense as part of the show.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Now I'm imagining that final slow pan out ending with Bills Rube Goldbergian machine catapulting both of them into an open grave and filling it in.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Probably makes for good food to rest of the creatures of Earth. This is one of the things a lot of zombie stories always seem to miss out on, the fact that zombies are dumb piles of free meat for 90% of the creatures on this planet. Back when we still watched TWD my wife and I always used to joke that there was no way a zombie could sneak up on you, because any zombie would be preceded by a cacophony of scavenger birds, and 300+ species of flies and beetles laying their eggs in the zombie flesh. One of the things I liked about the TLoU games was that the infected really didn't appear much in rural nature, probably because they were easy pickings for any animal that could easily take them down.

I'm not sure the infected would really be free meat, considering its probably rotten/covered in fungus? Fertilizer for plants tho!

As for the infected, in the second game its noted that:

Ellie comes across a partially eaten and frozen deer carcass that they summarize was attacked by infected

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Phenotype posted:

Okay I agree with that last sentence so much and I thought I was alone, thank you so much

I was holding on through the episode with this feeling of "Okay I guess this will be kind of cool when Joel/Ellie meet him in the modern timeline." And then when homeboy was already dead, I was just over it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Turning your brain off" isn't something to aspire to or brag about.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'd been watching along until now thinking it was good but not really hooked.

Last night hooked me really, really hard. I cried three times in that god drat episode, it was amazing.

But when Joel and Ellie showed up I just didn't give a single gently caress about them. Who the gently caress are these assholes? I want the Bill and Frank show!

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Phenotype posted:

All right, you all already jumped all over that last guy, but what the hell, I didn't like that episode either.

Your opinion is pretty different than the last guy though, who seemed flabbergasted that anyone would like this episode. You at least recognize that the episode had merit, even if it wasn't to your tastes.

It makes sense that someone wants a more action-driven story that briskly moves through its plot beats. This episode would not deliver on that expectation.

The reason I loved this episode so much though is because it displayed the storytelling skill of the show runners. They can flex between intimate character moments and also deliver the more standard action-fare. I'm sure that skill will pay off in coming episodes and seasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Cordyceps in the real world, to the best of my knowledge, is extremely specialized to single species only. So there's one for a particular type of ant, one for a grasshopper etc, etc. So in this show, the one that effects humans doesn't impact on other animals directly or infect them, outside of presumably the infected humans maybe attacking animals to eat (and as mentioned, it would be more likely to be the other way around for insects/birds etc using the infected).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The more I read about the complaints about this episode the more I see its importance. It is clarifying"what you signed up for", which is a story that takes place in a world full of side characters with their own internal lives that are meant to give gravity and a lived-in feeling to the experience.

If you haven't played the games, they do the same thing with notes you find throughout a level. They may or may not connect to Joel and Ellie (most don't) but they humanize the clicker you just killed or the pile of ruined bodies you just rooted through for ammo or a health kit or the inhabitants of the apartment you just snuck through.

I think if you're going to continue with this show you have to internalize that format. That sometimes it'll deviate from Joel and Ellie in order to further the greater themes and atmosphere. If you haven't figured this out by Season 2, you might as well jump off now because you are going to have a terrible time.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Along with what they were doing overall, they also fed the audience meta information about how you should even watch the show on an ongoing basis. The restraint (I mean, in terms of 'normal' TV restraint) of not pulling back the last shot all the way. The framing being exactly like a 'surprise violence when things seem okay' during the whole introductory sequence with Frank, up until them getting into bed. That the.. man I really want to use the word 'filmmakers' here even though it's a show.. have respect for the audience and that you can watch the rest of the season without your brain trying to call every twist or dumb trope before it happens.

That people are not just video game characters in this world. They aren't there just to be plot devices, even if they are doing the business of the plot and character stuff. It's kind of a magic trick they pulled this episode off so well.

Even the trope of 'infected person sacrifices themselves' in the previous ep was done with restraint, and the fallout of it. Real good stuff.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 30, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Nice little 5 minute offering from Nick Offerman and Murray Bartlett about the episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-aEbXaPko

Episode is getting lots of talk as an early Emmy offering and it's clear HBO expected some kind of talk about the episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ShowTime posted:

Nice little 5 minute offering from Nick Offerman and Murray Bartlett about the episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-aEbXaPko

Episode is getting lots of talk as an early Emmy offering and it's clear HBO expected some kind of talk about the episode.

I love Nick's answer to "What did you do when you found out you got the part?" was literally just "I had sex with my wife and then ate a massive dinner because she's an amazing cook." :allears:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Also, I'm perfectly fine with HBO showrunners mixing and matching characters from my favorite shows over and over until the end of time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"You got the part, kid. Run down to the gravel pit and tell the fellas." :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you've been sleeping on it it's time to watch White Lotus. Season 2 was (IMO) better but Murrary Bartlett crushes it in S1. I hope this brings him more roles. He's so loving good.