Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Bread Pudding is perfect snow food though.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

A satellite falls directly onto her car in the missing third panel.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 15, 1935)

Peanuts (February 2, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 17, 1989)

Dinkleshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 31, 1939)

Out Our Way (December 12-14, 1940, timg'd over a borderline First Nation character design issue (those kids in particular))

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Lunch

Noor

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

While all the criticism of him is valid, there is also a subset of critics who would complain no matter how well he did. Things change whether we want 'em to or not; he can do better, and hopefully he will, but it will not be like the old Popeye because it's not.

I'm not against the comic not being old Popeye, I'd just rather it not indulge in more recent, more boring cliches to little apparent purpose except to strawman random characters from the wiki. Give us characters with better motivations than is a good person or is a bad person. Randy's Wimpy is pretty fun because he doesn't fall into that, he's the same hustler he's always been, but in a distinct modern style.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

This whole dang town is riddled with snitches.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds9o333RLJQ

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Cool hands in panel 2! Last week I really didn't think Jules and Mark would be so dumb that Mark would push the boat into the water and then not immediately grab the literally adjacent railings:

But shame on me for thinking this strip will ever do something smart. The gators haven't even approached the boat this entire time, why activate the engine before Mark gets back in at all?

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Yeesh. Kinda making the "no contact with the outside world while we torture you" training seem a bit much, eh? Maybe letting the boys write letters wouldn't have broken their focus after all.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/12-14/50

Archie 5/20-22/46

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Ooof

Can't wait for more

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Archie wasted no time turning into golfcomic, huh.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

everyone wear hats now posted:

This whole dang town is riddled with snitches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQtKJbptcns

[sighs] easter. again.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 10, 1955)

What exactly are you using to scan with? I bought some Krazy Kat books from Fantagraphics and their roughly the same size as the Price Valiant books, and my 3 in 1 combo scanner is definitely not up to the task.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

as the kids said 5 years ago: goals

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Archie wasted no time turning into golfcomic, huh.

Hey, at least we get the horrible pun of a school named Littletew High out of it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba
With the Antique Dealer done, we’re going to move on to the contents of some of the Sakaba zines Maruoka put out – that’s where most of the longer (i.e., more than 4 pages) stories first appeared as well, but we’ll start with some one-page comics from the first zine.

Cthulhu and Girl

Um Bread

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 30, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Stay safe little bread roll :ohdear:

Hippocrass posted:

What exactly are you using to scan with? I bought some Krazy Kat books from Fantagraphics and their roughly the same size as the Price Valiant books, and my 3 in 1 combo scanner is definitely not up to the task.

I bought a large format scanner by a company called Viisan. The model is VIISAN 3120.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I can't believe Dustin's fate is in the hands of the only comic strip character more abused and hapless than himself.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
going to go out on a limb and guess Dustin never wins?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 13, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 16-17, 1992)

Big Nate

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jeremy's action figure reminds me of Ookla the Mok.

Not two comics here, just one scanned as two images because the original format was different, I believe.

the bus

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm not against the comic not being old Popeye, I'd just rather it not indulge in more recent, more boring cliches to little apparent purpose except to strawman random characters from the wiki. Give us characters with better motivations than is a good person or is a bad person. Randy's Wimpy is pretty fun because he doesn't fall into that, he's the same hustler he's always been, but in a distinct modern style.

In that vein, I enjoy Sea Hag and her intern as well.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House flies the coop. (June 11-13, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (August 16-18, 1920)

Dok's "Rebaiting The Hook" Duck (July 22, 1914)

Little Lefty (December 13-15, 1937, and yeah, the last one was originally printed upside down)

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I liked Little Lefty before it became Gil Thorpe.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

So we are to believe Cassandra Cat carried those crutches with her to that spot and simply waited there for Slylock to question her. I don't buy it, Weber. I don't buy it at all.

If you go with the idea that Cassandra Cat just does crimes to get Slylock's attention because she has the hots for him it works.

Luann

She's still there? I thought this was resolved.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So Will Henry is doing a thing;

GoComics posted:

“Wallace the Brave” Cartoonist Launches Scavenger Hunt
At the start of 2023, cartoonist Will Henry wanted to do something different. Something exciting. Something that had never been done before. By him. In 2023. Digitally. Two words came to him: SCAVENGER HUNT.

Will Henry is best known for his comic “Wallace the Brave,” in which small, strange children explore the many natural areas around the shoreline town of Snug Harbor. The world of “Wallace the Brave” is one of mystery, even when mysteries may seem unlikely, and adventure, which can be easily manufactured by children with a little imagination. Luckily for the characters and readers of the comic, all of these things can be found in abundance in the art and stories of “Wallace the Brave.”

"There's always something weird being drawn into this comic. I had trouble picking just ten from 2022, but I'm curious if readers can find them all," said Henry.

And now we come to the details of the hunt! Will has selected ten images from ten comics from 2022. If you are able to correctly identify the comics that these images have come from, you can enter to win a print of the very first (print syndicated) “Wallace the Brave” Sunday (https://www.gocomics.com/wallace-the-brave/2018/04/01). 10 winners will be randomly selected from correct entries, and one grand prize winner will win a mystery prize selected by Will Henry himself.The clue images can also be found on the scavenger hunt page.

The scavenger hunt will run through February 28th, and winners will be contacted by March 17th.

To enter the scavenger hunt, please visit: https://site.andrewsmcmeel.com/wallace-the-brave-scavenger-hunt

“Wallace the Brave” can be read at any time here.

Here's the images mentioned:

I was tempted to entry this contest as I was pretty sure I could find all the images, if only by searching through last years thread, but I felt that I'm on the wrong side of 30 to enter and it would be best to leave it to kids and/or their parents.

Speaking of Wallace, it looks like Vargo hasn't posted in a few days.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Edit: Beat to the contest.

Edit: Found some already

12/20/22:

11/15/22:

8/30/22:

8/19/22:

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 31, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Old man mozz gave one of the bandar warriors a gun and jampa's location

he will not be proven wrong

I hate that I'm even remotely invested in this Mozz prophecy horseshit storyline, but my guess is still that (somehow) it's going to be Diana behind the Bandar warriors showing up, rather than Mozz. We had that whole thing where Mozz gave Phantom the wrong book to hide in the mausoleum, followed by Diana asking him questions that would enable her to read the propecy without him telling her it (thus keeping his side of the deal not to tell her it).

So, she reads the prophecy herself, goes out and talks to Guran, sends a fuckload of Bandar after him to change his fate, and spits in the eye of prophecy. Bonus points if somehow Savarna dies instead, thus eliminating one of the very few entertaining characters in this whole hosed up mess of a comic. :v:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sundae posted:

I hate that I'm even remotely invested in this Mozz prophecy horseshit storyline, but my guess is still that (somehow) it's going to be Diana behind the Bandar warriors showing up, rather than Mozz. We had that whole thing where Mozz gave Phantom the wrong book to hide in the mausoleum, followed by Diana asking him questions that would enable her to read the propecy without him telling her it (thus keeping his side of the deal not to tell her it).

So, she reads the prophecy herself, goes out and talks to Guran, sends a fuckload of Bandar after him to change his fate, and spits in the eye of prophecy. Bonus points if somehow Savarna dies instead, thus eliminating one of the very few entertaining characters in this whole hosed up mess of a comic. :v:

it’s going to be that the bandar god got sick of everyone meddling in the prophecy and forgot about that poo poo half way through one of mozz’s dozens of retellings

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: The town leaders of Tombstone get introduced to realpolitik, or And that, Parker, is why you have to internalize Volumetric poo poo Compressor, or Billy's internal monologue is a bit too loud for his own good

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

I can't take much more of this

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 27, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 31, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

riderchop posted:

I can't take much more of this

One time, an ex of mine and I had an idea to do our normal "hang out, fool around a little" at the park thing that teens do, during a snowy winter, and I can assure you that burning love does not help keep one warm.

I also put off getting new shoes far too long and mine had some gaping holes in them. I trudged through the snow in those. Love didn't have anything to do with that, just teenage stupidity.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s going to be that the bandar god got sick of everyone meddling in the prophecy and forgot about that poo poo half way through one of mozz’s dozens of retellings

This works for me. I'd also accept "flaming skeleton becomes the next phantom" as an outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

I don't think I like Dr. Birb.

Medenmath posted:

Stay safe little bread roll :ohdear:

I bought a large format scanner by a company called Viisan. The model is VIISAN 3120.

Ok, thanks. I'll look into something like that.