Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Okay I got a new SSD hard drive that I can use to just backup my current install of Windows so I can just wipe it and finally install Windows 10/11 on top.

But I am also looking at upgrading my current PC but don't know if it'll be tomorrow or in a couple months. Seems like all reactivation is handled by registering an Microsoft account to your OS... Is this the only way to do this? Will I have to have an active Microsoft account to run Windows 10/11 regardless? Also if I only have a Windows 7 Key will that still allow me to reregister if I change my motherboard/hardware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've got a coworker who consistently gets this weird app title showing up on their machine when they do a shutdown:

Short of AI-highlighting that string and searching for it on their hard drive, any idea how to find what could be causing that? No obvious Outlook Add-Ins and searching the executables with regex between those unicode points returns nothing.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
That for me would be a format and reinstall. As soon as possible. Whatever that is, I don't know and probably don't want to know.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Strong Sauce posted:

Okay I got a new SSD hard drive that I can use to just backup my current install of Windows so I can just wipe it and finally install Windows 10/11 on top.

But I am also looking at upgrading my current PC but don't know if it'll be tomorrow or in a couple months. Seems like all reactivation is handled by registering an Microsoft account to your OS... Is this the only way to do this?

Transferring licenses via MS account is possible but also weird, the one time I tried to do this for a friend using instructions online it didn't work. If you have a key, it's far easier to just punch in the key again.

Strong Sauce posted:

Will I have to have an active Microsoft account to run Windows 10/11 regardless?

No, you don't have to. MS really wants you to and will bug you frequently to make a MS account. I found a useful this was setting a policy that actually blocks MS accounts to stop the annoyance. (They still bug you to use Edge.)

Strong Sauce posted:

Also if I only have a Windows 7 Key will that still allow me to reregister if I change my motherboard/hardware?

Yes. Microsoft don't care, at this point they have turned the dial way down on "stop people from re-using keys". I am not sure what happens if you register one set of hardware today and then try to use it again with a totally new set of hardware in two weeks. Not tried it, maybe that would be enough to trigger a lockout.

But also if you upgrade your PC in the near future, just move the existing install over rather than do another clean install. Win10/11 is very good at adapting to new hardware, it really doesn't cause problems unless one of the PCs is very weird or extremely antiquated.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Hed posted:

I've got a coworker who consistently gets this weird app title showing up on their machine when they do a shutdown:

Short of AI-highlighting that string and searching for it on their hard drive, any idea how to find what could be causing that? No obvious Outlook Add-Ins and searching the executables with regex between those unicode points returns nothing.

looks like a bunch of gibberish in chinese.

Klyith posted:

But also if you upgrade your PC in the near future, just move the existing install over rather than do another clean install. Win10/11 is very good at adapting to new hardware, it really doesn't cause problems unless one of the PCs is very weird or extremely antiquated.

i'm reading up and they still ask you to reactivate if you upgrade your hardware, no? i'm not planning on doing another clean install if i get new hardware.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hed posted:

That screen is showing the window title and not the executable name, so the executable itself could be basically anything. Maybe try a shutdown, wait until it halts because of that process, then cancel and go through the list of running processes in the Task Manager with a fine tooth comb. If it's showing up consistently also check the startup list to see if there's anything unusual there.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Sounds more like
this issue actually.
Basically a program has an ascii window title but is incorrectly returning the ascii title when it should be returning Unicode, so windows interprets it as Unicode and the result is Chinese text

More info on Raymond Chen’s blog of course
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20140930-00/?p=43953

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone! That's definitely it. I decoded it to UTF-16 little and it's some app I'm asking him about now.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How on earth do you mount a bin/cue file in Windows 11? Does anyone recommend a non sketchy program?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Not really a common format anymore, but I guess PowerISO should still work?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

After searching for a while it seems Alcohol 120% is the way.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh wow that's a blast from the past. And sure, that should work. :)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You want a blast from the past, Virtual Clone Drive, the one with the sheep logo is still free. Last updated in 2020. WinCDEmu, last updated in 2015 also still works fine. These and PowerISO, all good free choices.

I prefer WinCDEmu, because it has a portable version. I only need to mount a thing that isn't an iso once every few years.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Disc Juggler

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm curious if you could rename the file to .iso and mount it using Windows built in mechanism.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

MikusR posted:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree don't even need to make a boot stick. Just install and clone.

Anyone know of an app to do a 1:1 copy of my Windows install? Macrium doesn't seem to do that. It keeps wanting to make a .mrimg file and asks me to upgrade from the Free version to do a file backup

Edit: nvm just used acronis

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 28, 2023

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Housh posted:

How on earth do you mount a bin/cue file in Windows 11? Does anyone recommend a non sketchy program?

WinCDemu is ok

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

Anyone know of an app to do a 1:1 copy of my Windows install? Macrium doesn't seem to do that. It keeps wanting to make a .mrimg file and asks me to upgrade from the Free version to do a file backup

Edit: nvm just used acronis

You press the clone disk button. Not the image disk button.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

okay so whats going on here. why can't i do anything with the missing 1.6TB space?

i tried downloading easeus partition to merge the two partitions together but the program just comes up blank for me

edit: mbr to gpt issues

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 29, 2023

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Okay, this is a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I used a simple image converter (XNConvert) and set the in- and output folder for the original and converted files. Eventually, while I was working on them, I renamed and deleted some folders. I chose another folder to convert images and told it to start. Then I noticed that I forgot to change the output folder, which did not exist anymore. The app did something though so where are the converted images? If I remember correctly, I could access them trough the app I was using and delete them by pressing 'del' in the "choose folders" dialogue but the folder would not show up in Windows Explorer. Which made me think over the years I had this happen a few times. How is this possible and how can you see these invisible folders in windows explorer? They still take up space I guess. Sorry if my description is confusing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Strong Sauce posted:

That was my thought before I'd even seen you'd managed to edit.

There's a program that can convert the drive (not the boot drive, that's a job for mbr2gpt) without any data loss (although always back your poo poo up), gptgen

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Okay, this is a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I used a simple image converter (XNConvert) and set the in- and output folder for the original and converted files. Eventually, while I was working on them, I renamed and deleted some folders. I chose another folder to convert images and told it to start. Then I noticed that I forgot to change the output folder, which did not exist anymore. The app did something though so where are the converted images? If I remember correctly, I could access them trough the app I was using and delete them by pressing 'del' in the "choose folders" dialogue but the folder would not show up in Windows Explorer. Which made me think over the years I had this happen a few times. How is this possible and how can you see these invisible folders in windows explorer? They still take up space I guess. Sorry if my description is confusing.

Probably somewhere in your temp folders, that's what happens for me when I add a new torrent to my RSS feed in Utorrent and forget to set up a folder for it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Windows gurus, I'm stuck.

Windows update will automatically install "preview" updates aka "C" release updates as described here:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/windows-quality-updates-primer/ba-p/2569385

quote:

Optional previews – aka "C" releases
If you want to test and/or validate production-quality releases ahead of the planned “B” release for the following month, you can leverage “C” releases, which are optional, cumulative, non-security preview releases. “C” releases are only offered for the most recent, supported versions of Windows. New features like News and Interests may initially be deployed in the prior month’s “C” preview release, then ship in the following month’s “B” release.

To access “C” releases, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and select Check for updates.

...if you click "check for updates" and such an update is available, it will auto-install it without user confirmation. I do not like this.

I want to be able to click 'check for updates' to see what updates are available (and install normal, OOB or "B" band updates), but not have windows auto-install preview / "C" release updates. This seems impossible on Win11 Pro in a home non-managed environment. I don't see a policy or system setting that will let me opt-out of "preview" aka "C" band updates. No, I'm not talking about Win11 preview builds for major OS updates and I'm not in the insider program.

why is windows so bad about this?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pmchem posted:

...if you click "check for updates" and such an update is available, it will auto-install it without user confirmation. I do not like this.

Stop clicking check for updates?

For real, 10 and 11 check the update server at least once a day and often more with OOTB settings. If you open windows update settings and don't see an update queued up already (waiting for inactive hours), there's probably only the "C" updates available. So don't click.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

That was my thought before I'd even seen you'd managed to edit.

There's a program that can convert the drive (not the boot drive, that's a job for mbr2gpt) without any data loss (although always back your poo poo up), gptgen

yeah that tool apparently needs a uefi boot sector but i don't have any apps to do that.. kinda annoying.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm using StartAllBack and it's got a few weird behaviors. First, it doesn't index the Control Panel right, I have to type out the whole thing if I want to get to Add/remove or whatever. I also can't seem to find Calendar. Wanted to set up my Google calendar sync and it's nowhere to be found.

Any ideas? I know a bunch of people use StartAllBack.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Strong Sauce posted:

okay so whats going on here. why can't i do anything with the missing 1.6TB space?

i tried downloading easeus partition to merge the two partitions together but the program just comes up blank for me

Last time this happened to me I think I fixed it off a Linux distro on a USB stick. ( I can't remember what I used, but it helped to have everything unmounted)

It was kind of a pain and partition stuff is scary because I've accidentally wiped my backup drive or other wrong drives before.

Now I just make sure I format GPT from the get go and I'd probably just do a fresh install to fix that.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Echophonic posted:

I'm using StartAllBack and it's got a few weird behaviors. First, it doesn't index the Control Panel right, I have to type out the whole thing if I want to get to Add/remove or whatever. I also can't seem to find Calendar. Wanted to set up my Google calendar sync and it's nowhere to be found.

Any ideas? I know a bunch of people use StartAllBack.

The dev is extremely active on this forum thread: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183013-startallback-for-windows-11

You might find answers/be able to file a report there.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
What is the best way these days to get all of my photos onto my windows PC?

Every time I try I end up getting an error message at some point along the way and it's near impossible to pick up where I left off.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What is the best way these days to get all of my photos onto my windows PC?

Every time I try I end up getting an error message at some point along the way and it's near impossible to pick up where I left off.

Make sure the parallel port cable for your scanner is not damaged.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 30, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The dev is extremely active on this forum thread: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183013-startallback-for-windows-11

You might find answers/be able to file a report there.

Oh, it's Win 11 being stupid. I guess I uninstalled Mail or something and they merged Mail and Calendar into one app. Still not sure if I can get my agenda stuff on the clock, which I think is the stock windows one, even with StartAllBack. Guessing that's a "Windows 11 introduced a bunch of dumb regressions for no reason" thing, based on some searching.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 30, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

MikusR posted:

Make sure the parallel port cable for your scanner is not damaged.

Also, make sure you're not getting any sunlight on your IR receiver.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Echophonic posted:

Still not sure if I can get my agenda stuff on the clock, which I think is the stock windows one, even with StartAllBack. Guessing that's a "Windows 11 introduced a bunch of dumb regressions for no reason" thing, based on some searching.

That thing broke somewhere during Windows 10 and seems to be removed in 11

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I just updated to win11 last night because windows offered it to me and I'd heard it was supposed to be pretty good, however I really really like being able to move the taskbar around. Short of uninstalling everything and reinstalling windows 10, is there any less drastic measures I can take?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Is there a utility to see what files in a directory will have paths that are too long if copied to a different directory in Win10? I had to grab some archived files and some files when copied to the directory I want them will have paths that are too long. However, Windows Explorer only gave me the file name and the file is common over lots of directories so just looking for the file isn't viable. I ended up copying the files to "C:\a\" which was short enough but not a long term solution

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Pharnakes posted:

So I just updated to win11 last night because windows offered it to me and I'd heard it was supposed to be pretty good, however I really really like being able to move the taskbar around. Short of uninstalling everything and reinstalling windows 10, is there any less drastic measures I can take?
StartAllBack seems to be what most use, it's free until Ukraine becomes fixed.

I used to use open shell for classic start menu (and I believe it allows taskbar move as well) but I quit using the start menu mostly and launch things via power toys recently.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I used to use open shell for classic start menu (and I believe it allows taskbar move as well) but I quit using the start menu mostly and launch things via power toys recently.

Thank you, that's definitely an improvement. Anyway to be able to put it on a secondary monitor though?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Last time this happened to me I think I fixed it off a Linux distro on a USB stick. ( I can't remember what I used, but it helped to have everything unmounted)

It was kind of a pain and partition stuff is scary because I've accidentally wiped my backup drive or other wrong drives before.

Now I just make sure I format GPT from the get go and I'd probably just do a fresh install to fix that.

so my main hd with my os on it is mbr. i want to back it up because i have some files on the main drive that i want to transfer over.

since i'm really just keeping it for those files and not to restore my old OS... i'm about to just do a straight copy over to the new HD. is there any reason i shouldn't just do that?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

By "free", do you mean it has a 30-day free trial and then it costs money, because that's all I see on their website. Having said all that, it's only 5 bucks anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Gromit posted:

By "free", do you mean it has a 30-day free trial and then it costs money, because that's all I see on their website. Having said all that, it's only 5 bucks anyway.

It currently has limitless trial because the nazi country he lives in is under sanctions.