Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fawning deference posted:

This is all totally fair and I stand corrected

The Oilers were dogshit for the better part of 3 decades, its hard to break that narrative! But they were a very good team last year and are the same again this year (and the two regular seasons before that they were mostly fine, they just got outgoalered in the playoffs those seasons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In no way were the Oilers "very good" this year or last year, they were completely average. However, this is hockey a sport where success is largely a product of luck more than anything else and there's no reason why the Oilers won't win the cup this year as a result of that.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It's the Kraken's year. We've waited our whole franchise's life to make the playoffs, and we're gonna win it right away.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

“Hey the team is actually only middling defensively and people just think they’re terrible because of their reputation, meanwhile the xG is great and the top line is shooting the lights out” is so point-for-point identical to the Leafs talking points last year that it makes my head hurt a little, all the way down to quietly hoping the question marks in net don’t matter.

The Oilers can absolutely make it out of the west because of the competition not being very strong, but I don’t think that’s really what people mean when they say they don’t consider them a “threat”

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Oilers have had arguably the two greatest offensive threats in the past thirty years in their primes on the same team for the better part of a decade and the best you can say about them is "maybe if they get lucky they'll fluke into a few easy match ups and win a cup against an injured opponent."

Every other NHL franchise that has had a player that can realistically be called a generational talent has managed to at least be a regular contender aside from Edmonton with McDavid and Draisaitl. The Oilers aren't categorically awful anymore, but that's still one of the greatest failings in sports history. Right up there with Ohtani and Trout wasting their lives on the Angels. Even then a guy can out bat one time in nine in baseball. The Oilers run their horses into the ground and this is still the best they can manage.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Since Woodcroft was hired the Oilers absolutely have been "very good". All situations, they're 5th in GF%, 7th in in xGF% with the top offence in the league and a middle of the pack defensive team. 5x5 they're 8th in GF%, 11th in xGF%. They're absolutely a flawed team (every team pretty much is), but to say they're a league average and lucky as a team really is missing what they currently are.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pungry posted:

It's the Kraken's year. We've waited our whole franchise's life to make the playoffs, and we're gonna win it right away.

After twenty two months... YANNI GOURDE!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oilers should be banned from a #1 pick for 20 years because of how badly they've squandered McDavid. Tack on another 10 for Draisaitl.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Since Woodcroft was hired the Oilers absolutely have been "very good". All situations, they're 5th in GF%, 7th in in xGF% with the top offence in the league and a middle of the pack defensive team. 5x5 they're 8th in GF%, 11th in xGF%. They're absolutely a flawed team (every team pretty much is), but to say they're a league average and lucky as a team really is missing what they currently are.

A team ranging between 5-11th overall in some cherry picked stats is the definition of average. Even if they manage to scrape out a cup there's no way to describe the McDavid Oilers era as anything other than a significant disappointment.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The west seems kinda lovely so maybe this is the year the Oilers make a run to the SCF and then lose in 5 games to the Bruins or Hurricanes

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

A team ranging between 5-11th overall in some cherry picked stats is the definition of average. Even if they manage to scrape out a cup there's no way to describe the McDavid Oilers era as anything other than a significant disappointment.

I'm not trying to cherry pick stats, I think the best way to see if a team is good or not is how many goals they score in all situations vs how many they don't. A lot of people like xG models as well as 5x5 stats so I included them, but I actually think that limiting to 5x5 really misses teams with strengths and weaknesses at other game states which take up more of the game now, or at least have a higher impact on it.

The Oilers outscore teams because of the best offence in the league and a middle of the pack defence since Woodcroft made a bunch of deployment changes when him and Manson were hired. I don't think I've said otherwise anywhere. You can quibble if that makes them very good, or good, or average. I'd define average as ~15th. Good as top ~10, very good as top ~5. Fit the Oilers in there wherever you like.

I also don't disagree that the Oilers have disappointed. I haven't said otherwise here at all and really until Woodcroft was hired the team has disappointed every season outside of maybe 16-17. But that's not what I've written here or anything I've said.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Oilers will be out in 4, 1st round.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I didn't know anything about Bobby Hull other than stats until today. He went full dril

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=20&t=30a2z2lic1basOPzZGYFMw

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Every single one of their possession stats is like 15th or 16th in league and their PDO is basically bang on 100. I realize people have somewhat moved past that, but in raw "shooting the puck at the net v. Stopping the other team doing the same" they are a fringe playoff team. I'm sure that's ticked up slightly in the past couple weeks but that's hardly impressive. Plus their PP is a full 6 percentage points higher than anyone else. Their offence is largely dictated by their powerplay at the moment, and it's not exactly some grand secret that those opportunities disappear come the stretch drive/playoffs. Plus this is all driven by FOUR OF THEIR GUYS BEING ON HUNDRED POINT PACES. They need just about the max any team has ever gotten get out of their top six to be in the playoff race.

I am not discounting the Oilers, but they're what they've been every year since roughly 2017: a handful of terrific offensive forwards dragged way down by an abject lack of depth or team defence. They've had goaltending in stretches this year which is a key difference, but I see little to no change in the team over the past few years even with Woodcroft. Unsurprisingly when they were running with Campbell earlier in the year they were spectacularly unremarkable.

Not all that long ago they were barely treading water. If the definition of 'very good' is a team that has dragged itself to 4th in their division after a 7-1 stretch then I think we're talking about fundamentally different concepts.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Edmonton has the exactly same 5v5 actual outcomes as Calgary. 2.7 goals for per 60 and 2.5 goals against per 60. Both teams are 52% goals for 5v5. New Jersey, Boston, Carolina and Seattle all have 60% goals for split 5v5. Seattle leads the league in goals for per 60 at 5v5.

Edm's goals for/60 at 5v5 is good for 9th in the league. Edmonton's actual prevention is good for 18th right next to Pittsburgh....a team that was missing 3 of their top 6 defensemen and were icing a first pairing of Ty Smith and Jan Rutta.

Where Edmonton excels during the regular season is their 32% best in the league powerplay. I personally think the only team that had a dynamite powerplay and went on to win the cup was Washington. But I'd have to go back and check. They also had very good 5v5 outcomes because, it turns out, winning the Stanley Cup requires you to be very good at the part of the game that the game is mostly played at..which is 5v5. Tbh having a great PK is likely more important than the powerplay conversions. Though I would have to actually go back and look to if that's actually true. Was just a thought.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edmonton can't keep up when it becomes even more legal to spear fish McDavid.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah I suppose what I meant was that the Oilers having McDavid and possibly 4 100-pt scorers this year and not being anywhere near the best record in the league is kind of insane. Like they should have Carolina's record but instead they merely have a pretty decent record.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
oilers suck rocks let's move on

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

oilers suck rocks let's move on

Agreed. So do the Flames. Canucks got em both beat in that regard though.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The fraudulence of Canada knows no bounds.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Alex Kerfoot will score a Cup-winning goal. I will not be taking any further questions.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Didn't say which team!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or which Cup

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1620146457335693312

Booo

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Why are we booing? Stephenson is great!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well if it isn't gonna be another Kraken it should be Tyler Myers then clearly

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I don't think you can simultaneously say the West is soft and that the Oilers aren't "a threat". They look like a top 4 or 5 team in the West to me (and the gaps within that group don't look clear). As a Kraken fan they scare me more than any other team in the Pacific.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1620190951183646720

IDK who Aatu Raty is but that seems like an iffy return all things considered.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That seems not great but 🤷🏼‍♂️

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

both sides lost

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
Raty is good, Lou is senile, Isles are ridiculous

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Aye Doc posted:

both sides lost

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I remember Raty being an underrated favorite in his draft, wasn’t he at one point was even considered top-3? He has looked pretty promising at the NHL level. Solid prospect for sure.

I have no idea why the Isles are trading to get even older! Classic Lou.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
make a trade, doug

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

What are the conditions on the pick?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I think it's a pretty decent return for Vancouver, I've always liked Anthony Beauvillier and I think he could really impress on a team that wasn't so defense focused. Look for an uptick in scoring from him on Vancouver. Not as sure about Aatu Raty (I guess it's probably too early to tell with him) but I guess he is pretty hyped as a prospect? mid 1st round pick is obviously likely not going to amount to much any time soon.

**I see that Beauvillier has had a real dip in performance this year with the Islanders compared to how he was doing before, potentially a real smart flip for Vancouver switching out the over-performing Horvat for the under-performing Beauvillier. Before the start of this season if you asked me which one I wanted on my team I may have said Beauvillier straight up, not to mention the additional assets.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 31, 2023

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

That seems pretty fair. Sure it’s no Shane Wright or whatever dream scenario but atleast the main two pieces are young, I assume Beauvillier is just there to make the money work?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1620192842139443200

Well that's not great!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

WeaponX posted:

I remember Raty being an underrated favorite in his draft, wasn’t he at one point was even considered top-3? He has looked pretty promising at the NHL level. Solid prospect for sure.

iirc he made the Finnish WJHC team at 16, got some first overall hype, then stagnated so badly that he didn't make the team at 17

I remember an Athletic article like four years ago where some writers fantasy drafted one player/coach/GM/owner/city or something, and somebody tried to galaxy-brain it by taking Raty as their player

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1620192289846067200?s=46&t=a66jJ3dGaVI5QxmUiA7Ktw

:lmao: