Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Man I knew the doot horns were funny (and surprisingly half-decent) but I never knew the long doot horn was so hilarious. The first time I used it on an invader, he clearly had no idea what the hell was going on or what to do about it.

Now I need to bite the bullet and farm up the gigadoot horn from one of the big boss doot angels. I want to see how that thing works in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i am loving being able to make dozens of anti poison/ rot muchies

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know one of these days I'm going to make a level 200+ dude who can just do everything so I can switch weapons and builds at will. drat this game is fun as hell, but it's starting to get exhausting making a new character to a certain level and trying out different builds.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Angry Diplomat posted:

Man I knew the doot horns were funny (and surprisingly half-decent) but I never knew the long doot horn was so hilarious. The first time I used it on an invader, he clearly had no idea what the hell was going on or what to do about it.

Now I need to bite the bullet and farm up the gigadoot horn from one of the big boss doot angels. I want to see how that thing works in action.

Large Doot is nowhere near as good as Medium Doot.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
How are the colosseum matches balanced? Are people grouped by rough RL? Kind of want to try it out

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Paracelsus posted:

Large Doot is nowhere near as good as Medium Doot.

Yeah but it's the only doot I don't have, and I want to be a one-man brass band.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
lmao beat goldskin duo after 2 tries using bloodhound's fang, so much better than brick hammer during that fight wtf

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the giant extra evil crows in caelid are just the worst

i respect them but man they do not like ANYONE

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah them and the dogs are the most terrifying enemy they've ever made in souls games, in my opinion. I never fight them, ever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lobsters are worse. But yeah the giant Caelid fauna is never worth it to fight

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
that one lil loot box area in some caelid ruins where a bird crashes down on top of it so you cant leave while it pecks away trying to get in kicked rear end though lmao

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Lobsters are worse. But yeah the giant Caelid fauna is never worth it to fight

The lobsters are definitely worse to fight, and more annoying. Fuckin anti-materiel spit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

T Rex dogs are pretty manageable 1v1. Easy to smack them in the head.

Birds, though, they hunger for flesh. There's a reason they're hanging out on the zone rotting into a pile of flesh. Tough to kill, aggressive, will chase you across the map.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

T Rex dogs are pretty manageable 1v1. Easy to smack them in the head.

Birds, though, they hunger for flesh. There's a reason they're hanging out on the zone rotting into a pile of flesh. Tough to kill, aggressive, will chase you across the map.

T Rex dogs are actually pretty easy to fight in groups if you pull them all to one side of you, they have friendly fire and constantly stance break each other

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Forgot about the four belfries for ages (several weeks and maybe 70+ hours), had the keys, no idea where I got them or how long they'd been sitting in my inventory. First took me to a place I've not been to before but was a dead end. The 2nd one took me to an inaccessible of a place I'd been to but not the interesting looking inaccessible area I want to get to. Got a couple of bits of loot but bit of a letdown.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I have a little backstory, So Melania has been giving me a bit of trouble with dodging her rude rear end attacks so I decided today was a good day to get some talismans that I have been wanting for the build I am using. Easily able to get the Claw Talisman as I love doing jump attacks, and following up with some quests I did not existed to obtain Rotten Winged Sword Insignia. This should make my attack power greater than is is currently.

That was when someone told me to explore more of Dynasty Mausoleum from one of my old farming places and found out hey. Another very hard optional boss is here named Mohg and I should confront him.

Mind you I did not know There is some sort of potion to negate his transition phase

With the power of the Starscourge greatsword and Ash as a tank. I was able to figure him out Healing during his grunting during the transition to survive. The rest was easy and was able to knock him out in three air attack combo hits.

Sadly didn't record the attempt as I felt he was a bit easy. Ill try Melania tomorrow.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Katamari Democracy posted:

Sadly didn't record the attempt as I felt he was a bit easy.

I absolutely love the mastery stories in this thread. :3: Mohg is almost on the same tier as Malenia, especially if you're paying the three sippies tax directly. Well done!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

spaceblancmange posted:

Forgot about the four belfries for ages (several weeks and maybe 70+ hours), had the keys, no idea where I got them or how long they'd been sitting in my inventory. First took me to a place I've not been to before but was a dead end. The 2nd one took me to an inaccessible of a place I'd been to but not the interesting looking inaccessible area I want to get to. Got a couple of bits of loot but bit of a letdown.

You get keys for exploring places loosely related to sorcery. The third waygate is like that too. None of them are required or lead to anything. They’re all like a minilevel with an item or enemy or two and a nice view.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Doomykins posted:

I absolutely love the mastery stories in this thread. :3: Mohg is almost on the same tier as Malenia, especially if you're paying the three sippies tax directly. Well done!

Mohg took me a total of four attempts. I honestly did not find him difficult compared to Malenia.

She has some bite to her and I am horrible at dodging her. Her Flurry is giving me a lot of trouble.

But thanks to me getting these two talismans I can play a bit more safe and attack when needed while feeling confident in damage.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The point of the Belfreys seems to be to be the last couple times early game From blows your mind by throwing you way rear end across the map into a totally alien area, at least one of which you didn't even know may exist yet

I have a little backstory, So Melania has been giving me a bit of trouble with dodging her rude rear end attacks so I decided today was a good day to get some talismans that I have been wanting for the build I am using. Easily able to get the Claw Talisman as I love doing jump attacks, and following up with some quests I did not existed to obtain Rotten Winged Sword Insignia. This should make my attack power greater than is is currently.

That was when someone told me to explore more of Dynasty Mausoleum from one of my old farming places and found out hey. Another very hard optional boss is here named Mohg and I should confront him.

Mind you I did not know There is some sort of potion to negate his transition phase

With the power of the Starscourge greatsword and Ash as a tank. I was able to figure him out Healing during his grunting during the transition to survive. The rest was easy and was able to knock him out in three air attack combo hits.

Sadly didn't record the attempt as I felt he was a bit easy. Ill try Melania tomorrow.

Mohg's an optional super boss who isn't easy with the Starscourge swords like he is with a few other builds, extremely good job! If not for Malenia's Waterfowl attack he'd be the hardest boss in the game imho. He's definitely the hardest for greatshield tanks lmao

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Is it true that the weapon you get from Mogh that makes Melania like. Easy?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The only thing that comes close to making Malenia "easy" is the Fingerprint shield. Figure out Waterfowl tho and you've figured out the fight. The rest of her stuff isn't much harder to read than the Elden Beast's stuff

That said, if you've got the stats for it Mohg's spear is really fun and the ash probably is really good against Malenia. It just locks you in place for a good while.

edit - you can shield poke with it hilariously enough, so you could double down on the easy with it and a greatshield which is the most reliable way I've found to deal with Waterfowl (a beefy medium shield like the Brass Shield also works but watch your stamina)

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 31, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mohg's spear is really big and heavy and if you are aggressive as hell Malenia can consistently be staggered and poise broken. You still have to learn the fight because she has several hyper armor attacks where she'll make you dodge an attack ranging from "I can punish this" to "nonononono roll x6"

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Doomykins posted:

Mohg's spear is really big and heavy and if you are aggressive as hell Malenia can consistently be staggered and poise broken.

I will at least down her with what I worked for.

I got phase 2 down to a hair tonight but I was stupid and dodged incorrectly. She is going down.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Last time I beat her it was by slapping Bloodhound Step on a dagger, swapping to it, and mashing it like crazy until the bad attack stopped tho lol. There's room in the game for all kinds of approaches

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Epic High Five posted:

Last time I beat her it was by slapping Bloodhound Step on a dagger, swapping to it, and mashing it like crazy until the bad attack stopped tho lol. There's room in the game for all kinds of approaches

I have watched Youtube videos and I cant apply those dodges to save my life. It's Ratagon all over again. But this time its Zoro from One Piece just taking over slashes from everywhere.

When it happens that I am able to beat Melania I will post it. Im just making a mountain out of a molehill.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

here is the cheat code to defeating malenia if you really need it: freezing pots (craftable, book is in caria manor) deal 380 frostbite buildup, which is enough to instantly trigger frosbite on malenia, which will hard interrupt all of her actions, including waterfowl dance. if you throw the pot just as she's winding up in the air to perform waterfowl dance, it will cancel it, and she'll skip using it for some time. successive frostbite procs do require more than the amount a single freezing pot will do, although phase 2 is considered a separate NPC and will still have the base resists, so you get a single free waterfowl dance for each phase

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah them and the dogs are the most terrifying enemy they've ever made in souls games, in my opinion. I never fight them, ever.

Terrifying mechanically, or terrifying visually? Because the centipede demon things in DS3 win the latter for me, hands down. LOTS of hands down.

err
Apr 11, 2005

On Maliketh the Black Blade now and while it's hard, it feels loving good to dodge his bullshit in the first phase.

No hosed up camera bosses or respawning poo poo.

Astel was the most unfun boss I fought and I haven't beat him yet. Like some of the dragons it's just not fun as a melee.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Which Ash of war is this? (Used at the start of the fight)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpDNx_2-EUE

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

err posted:

Which Ash of war is this? (Used at the start of the fight)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpDNx_2-EUE

Carian Retaliation, you can see it named on the left. It's one of a few ashes that you stick on a shield to get massively boosted parry frames, like so good that a medium shield has better frames than a buckler. I think that one specifically sends spells back and is zero cost unless it's parrying a spell. The other good one is Golden Parry which costs FP on all uses but has an arc so big you can parry 3 enemies at once

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I love just riding around and messing with poo poo. There is this spot before the Gaol fort near the bonfire where you can lure 3 dogs into a pack of soldiers and watch the mayhem while you kill the flame thrower cart. Its funny to watch and gives a good amount of runes.

I'm not really farming runes to level but I feel compelled to buy pretty much every item from every shop.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

You get keys for exploring places loosely related to sorcery. The third waygate is like that too. None of them are required or lead to anything. They’re all like a minilevel with an item or enemy or two and a nice view.

If I recall correctly the waygate that returns you to the starting area has an item that advances Nepheli's quest, which gives you an ancient smithing stone, but yeah the other 2 suck, especially the sophria river locale

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Mikojan posted:

I love just riding around and messing with poo poo. There is this spot before the Gaol fort near the bonfire where you can lure 3 dogs into a pack of soldiers and watch the mayhem while you kill the flame thrower cart. Its funny to watch and gives a good amount of runes.

I'm not really farming runes to level but I feel compelled to buy pretty much every item from every shop.

I was laughing myself stupid in Nokron, I was firing arrows at the big ball from above and it was bouncing off the other mobs killing them

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Terrifying mechanically, or terrifying visually? Because the centipede demon things in DS3 win the latter for me, hands down. LOTS of hands down.

I think it comes down the whole package, like the way the dogs fit into the game, how they were introduced and all that. I don't think in a vacuum they're the scariest enemy in the game(s), no.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Double post:

I saw this yesterday. He got me, too, cause I looked up before I finished reading lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

You are so correct. Even if I get bored I can take what I know from Elden Ring and apply them to souls-type games moving forward and I have a new found love for the types of games.

The last one I have beaten was La-Mulana 1 and 2. If you would count those kinds of games.

looking forward you posting in the bloodborne thread, good hunter

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Using Godrick's axe is a lot more fun than I predicted and I realize the bell mausoleum will let me power stance them. :black101:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Using Godrick's axe is a lot more fun than I predicted and I realize the bell mausoleum will let me power stance them. :black101:

Unfortunately you can only get 1 of each remembrance item per NG+ cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Oh right. I'll need a second giant axe, though my drip will suffer for the flame of my ambition.

Wait I can item transfer can't I? Drip is still on the menu.