Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Read the comments if you want to have a giant headache for the rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya that poo poo is why I don't winter commute. Imagine putting up with that while also dealing with gnarly roads.

For spray don't get bear spray it's a fog. In the states I'm sure there's all sorts of Mace and stuff. In Canada there's 'dog spray' and ya I have it on me when I ride.

If you're in Canada there's a chance you'll be charged with a weapons offence if you ever use dog spray on a human but after several encounters with hostile dogs and people myself and hearing what other cyclists have gone through its worth the risk to me.

Salt Fish posted:

Read the comments if you want to have a giant headache for the rest of the day.

honestly it's never worth it to read the comments anymore.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 26, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

EvilJoven posted:

For spray don't get bear spray it's a fog. In the states I'm sure there's all sorts of Mace and stuff. In Canada there's 'dog spray' and ya I have it on me when I ride.

If you're in Canada there's a chance you'll be charged with a weapons offence if you ever use dog spray on a human but after several encounters with hostile dogs and people myself and hearing what other cyclists have gone through its worth the risk to me.

Yeah I don't gently caress with bear spray unless I'm in bear/cat country. There's a reason the federal agencies that issue it to their field people make them get trained on it. I know a few people who used it on bears and other critters and made their camp uninhabitable for a while after. Worked on the bears, though.

I've been chased by dogs a bunch. Riding in rural Arkansas, it was a pretty common thing. As a kid, we always knew what houses had the dogs that would chase and which ones were actually worth being worried about. I only ever got bit once, and a good squirt in the face with a water bottle works pretty well too. Once I was old enough to have a bike with gears, most of the time I could just outrun them since they rarely chased more than a hundred yards or so from their house. I guess I'm a little more nervous now that I have a kid with me sometimes and have a neighborhood dog that is truly dangerous when he's loose. And road raging shitheads seem more common these days.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 26, 2023

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I only had one encounter with a bear last year that for a moment looked like it was about to go south but in campgrounds now holy poo poo do bears ever not give a gently caress. Ring your bells and bang your pots and pans and stuff as much as you want they're basically immune to 'just make a lot of noise'.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

https://sf.streetsblog.org/2010/01/08/la-road-rage-doctor-sentenced-to-5-years-in-prison-for-assaulting-bicyclists/

File a report. This local case resulted in a conviction, in part because another cyclist filed a report a few months earlier when the driver did the exact same thing to him. IN the first case the cyclist was able to stop in time and did not hit the driver's car when the driver pulled in front. The cyclist then sought safety on the sidewalk when the driver charged at him in his car.

FIle a report.

point made, report filed

still gonna carry pepper gel tho :v:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've been chased by dogs a bunch. Riding in rural Arkansas, it was a pretty common thing. As a kid, we always knew what houses had the dogs that would chase and which ones were actually worth being worried about. I only ever got bit once, and a good squirt in the face with a water bottle works pretty well too. Once I was old enough to have a bike with gears, most of the time I could just outrun them since they rarely chased more than a hundred yards or so from their house.

This seems like a great trainer road/Zwift route idea.
Random sprint zones from v.dogs!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

deong posted:

Pace pooches

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pace bison. For that time I had to decide whether to turn around and deal with a bear or keep going and deal with a herd of bison.

when faced with this situation the correct choice is to wait for a ride, or pick the bear. I got a ride lol

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

deong posted:

Hell yeah. Does zwift have a paperboy route?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My garage is currently flooded ankle deep from rain, I acted fast and brought my bikes into the kitchen tho

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Everyone's comments here made me choose AdZ for my workout yet again this morning. Still haven't done Ventoux.

Anyone here have experience with Specialized's 3D printed saddles? I have a Power Pro on my bike/trainer that I like, but the version with mirror is on sale and I haven't heard anything but good things.

Just tried it out on a 1.5 hour threshold repeat ride on the trainer. It’s absolutely fantastic. Zero discomfort, no hot spots, and I can feel my penis.

Now I have to figure out if I want another one for my bike. And if I want the sworks version. :negative:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hoping to feel the can feel my penis gang when my power saddle shows up. Hope it shows up fast because the weather is taking a turn. I'm probably gonna skip that race on the 4th because spending over 200 bux and 7 hours in a car and freezing my rear end off just isn't something I'm willing to do anymore to ride bikes.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Residency Evil posted:

Now I have to figure out if I want another one for my bike. And if I want the sworks version. :negative:

It does always turn out like that with cycling doesn’t it, the thing that works is the most expensive option.

Currently preparing to drop £200 on insoles for my other shoes :psyduck:

I’d be tempted to at least try the equivalent cheaper model or used power saddle in your situation though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

wooger posted:

It does always turn out like that with cycling doesn’t it, the thing that works is the most expensive option.

Currently preparing to drop £200 on insoles for my other shoes :psyduck:

I’d be tempted to at least try the equivalent cheaper model or used power saddle in your situation though.

My road bike has a power pro saddle now that I really like, but the power with mirror (ie, the 3D printed one) only comes in Power Pro (that I have on my trainer) and S-Works.

The S-Works version adds a prettier carbon base, carbon rails, and shaves 60 grams.

Yes I realize it is dumb to even think about spending the extra money for 60 grams and prettier carbon.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The carbon railed version probably has oval rails so you’ll likely need a different clamp.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The carbon railed version probably has oval rails so you’ll likely need a different clamp.

And it seems obscene to run a carbon railed saddle if you don’t also upgrade to a carbon seatpost right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
At 60g, it's not worth the peace of mind I get from not wondering if I did 5.5N instead of 5N per spec, but also if 5N is actually too low and the rails will slide around and scrape.

I do have multiple carbon railed saddles; but on the whole I think I'm more practical minded now.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
It's always worth a slight extra expense if you can afford it and it makes your bike prettier.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

At 60g, it's not worth the peace of mind I get from not wondering if I did 5.5N instead of 5N per spec, but also if 5N is actually too low and the rails will slide around and scrape.

I do have multiple carbon railed saddles; but on the whole I think I'm more practical minded now.

1-bolt clamps usually go up to to 14-16 n-m. I honestly think you'd have to accidentally go to like 9-10 n-m on a 2-bolt clamp to delam a typical solid carbon rail.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Are there really incompatible seat rails? That's like the one thing on a bike that wasn't a compatibility maze

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I have a carbon seat post but the part that attaches to the seat is aluminum. Seems really hosed up.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

taqueso posted:

Are there really incompatible seat rails? That's like the one thing on a bike that wasn't a compatibility maze

It's only a thing on a small subset of seatposts, and they can be swapped for like $10. It's not a big deal.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

taqueso posted:

Metal railed saddles are typically 7x7mm (round.)
Carbon railed saddles are typically 7x9mm, but some are 7x10mm and some are in between like 7x9.6mm or have reinforcements like the braided fabric on Fizik saddles or the metal cage on SMPs.

In most cases, top-down clamps will work on any type of saddle rail. Side-clamps require specific interchangeable clamps/ears. A 7x9mm rail will never fit clamps meant for 7x7 saddle rails, but usually you can get away with using 7x9mm railed saddles in 7x10mm clamps. 7x10mm rails will only ever fit clamps meant for 7x10mm.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

What's the recommended way to fix a road tubeless puncture that won't seal? I tried some bacon strips and they're not holding at the pressure I usually use the tire at (around 70psi). The tire is like less than halfway through it's service life. Maybe the answer is to give up on road tubeless and just chuck a tube in

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Sphyre posted:

What's the recommended way to fix a road tubeless puncture that won't seal? I tried some bacon strips and they're not holding at the pressure I usually use the tire at (around 70psi). The tire is like less than halfway through it's service life. Maybe the answer is to give up on road tubeless and just chuck a tube in

I just patch it from the inside and then put a cute little dab of shoe-goo on the outside. I have personally decided to treat bacon strips as temporary.

osker fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 28, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The guy at my LBS tells me to just stick a tube in it for the ride home and stick a dollar bill inside against the tear / puncture.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Sphyre posted:

Hutchinson Rep'Air should do the trick. I used the MTB version on a bad luck fatty tire and it went swimmingly.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I like sticking glueless patches on the inside of the tire. As long as the cut isn't big enough to still create a bulge it's probably ok. I have two in my pretty new challege gravel grinders.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Sphyre posted:

DynePlugs work better than bacon strips.

Most of time DynaPlugs are permanent fixes.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dyna Plugs are tops for tubeless fixes

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
got the brompton, mostly fun, but there's a really obnoxious design issue: the left pedal folds up, and if you forget to unfold it before walking with the bike and the pedals rotate, they can scrape the absolutely scrape the poo poo out of the left side chain stay. sucks to have immediately put some scratches in a $1500 bike :smith:

i'm also kind of annoyed the brompton store didn't really do any adjustments. they left the saddle at a hilariously high like 7 degree upward-facing-forward angle. the bike levers by default also are super, super far down from the handlebars, and i've been trying to adjust them this afternoon to pull the levers closer in as shown here, but this just lead to the brakes constantly dragging on the rim, so I had to find another video to figure out how to adjust the actual brake caliper, and then this lead to my brakes being super off center, so I had to use yet another video to re-center them, and now somehow after all of that it seems to have undone the original change I was trying to make and the lever actually isn't that much closer to the handlebars, and :negative:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 30, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

i'm also kind of annoyed the brompton store didn't really do any adjustments. they left the saddle at a hilariously high like 7 degree upward-facing-forward angle. the bike levers by default also are super, super far down from the handlebars

Ime, the reach of the levers is annoying, but the overriding factor is how far down they’re angled, which was constrained on my bike by the folded up arrangement of the handlebar. If they were more horizontal, it’d be easier to pull back to you, but then they’d hit the frame. Maybe depends on your handlebar model.

But yeah, the handlebar reach is definitely challenging for smaller hands.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Have shoulder pain post a longer ride today. It seems like this is probably most likely to be related to putting too much pressure on handlebars, maybe from reaching too far? Per my older posts was worried they were a bit low to be comfortable, but this is making me think maybe I should prioritize getting them raised a bit more highly.

E: actually maybe the answer is just to get a bike fitting instead of trying to continue to adjust myself. It seems a bit excessive since I’m just not a super intense cyclist, but maybe I’m injury prone enough it would still be worthwhile? It seems sort of expensive but also if you asked me how much I would pay to not be in pain rn it starts to seem more reasonable maybe

tildes fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 30, 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

abraham linksys posted:

got the brompton, mostly fun, but there's a really obnoxious design issue: the left pedal folds up, and if you forget to unfold it before walking with the bike and the pedals rotate, they can scrape the absolutely scrape the poo poo out of the left side chain stay. sucks to have immediately put some scratches in a $1500 bike :smith:

i'm also kind of annoyed the brompton store didn't really do any adjustments. they left the saddle at a hilariously high like 7 degree upward-facing-forward angle. the bike levers by default also are super, super far down from the handlebars, and i've been trying to adjust them this afternoon to pull the levers closer in as shown here, but this just lead to the brakes constantly dragging on the rim, so I had to find another video to figure out how to adjust the actual brake caliper, and then this lead to my brakes being super off center, so I had to use yet another video to re-center them, and now somehow after all of that it seems to have undone the original change I was trying to make and the lever actually isn't that much closer to the handlebars, and :negative:

take it back immediately and make them fix it. a new bike should be flawless in its tune when it leaves the shop

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

bicievino posted:

It's only a thing on a small subset of seatposts, and they can be swapped for like $10. It's not a big deal.

Except for the stupid Moots Titanium seat post where you need to get a whole new seat post if you want carbon seats.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Shadowhand00 posted:

Except for the stupid Moots Titanium seat post where you need to get a whole new seat post if you want carbon seats.

Oh noooo.
Maybe they just want you to prefer ti-railed saddles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ready to plunk down 2k for my 3d-printed Ti lattice saddle.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

RAGBRAI announced the overnight towns over the weekend. I'm pretty excited because although I wasn't able to ride last year I'll actually be around the area this time. Looks like currently I'll bet riding on Wednesday for the Ames to DSM leg. Depending on the route details I wonder if I could swing Thursday as well. Only time will tell, I guess.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Crumps Brother posted:

RAGBRAI announced the overnight towns over the weekend. I'm pretty excited because although I wasn't able to ride last year I'll actually be around the area this time. Looks like currently I'll bet riding on Wednesday for the Ames to DSM leg. Depending on the route details I wonder if I could swing Thursday as well. Only time will tell, I guess.

I'm signed up for the week! Super excited as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm signed up for the week! Super excited as well
Say hi if you see a bearpope kit!