Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I mean 90% of the fun is Lyone being Columbo, like shockingly on the nose Columbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nihonniboku posted:

I've watched the first 4 available episodes. I liked it a lot. I feel like Rian Johnson didn't have that heavy of an influence on it.

He’s the creator, he’s writing or directing (or both!) 4 of the 10 episodes, he approached Lyonne to lead the show (they’re also friends), and he’s a huge fan of detective fiction, Columbo in particular. 3 of his 7 films so far have been detective stories of one form or another.

It’s alright to admit you’re enjoying a Rian Johnson project!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I wonder how Brick holds up. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing when it came out back when I was in high school.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
As some with the same warm feelings for Brick as a highschooler, you probably want to leave that one in the past.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Brick is easy breezy fun because it's the incredibly silly and incredibly stupid idea of high school film noir to begin with, plus it's a freshman effort so you just can't judge it harshly...

The Brothers Bloom is the one that has aged poorly

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also one episode has John Darnielle singing a bullshit fake Mountain Goats song and it's hilarious.

I didn't know him by face but when he was singing in the van it was total whiplash.

The "scenes from upcoming episodes " showed a hell of a continuing guest cast.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I hated Brick and I'm a JGL fanboy so take that as you will. Just the most awful dialogue, I know it's supposed to be cool noir lingo but it just didn't work at all.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s alright to admit you’re enjoying a Rian Johnson project!

I like him, including The Last Jedi, it just didn't feel like one of his stuff.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I loved Brick when I was 19 but haven't seen it since. At the time, I remember being pretty impressed by the mannered dialogue but wouldn't be surprised if it came off kinda corny now. It seems like Rian Johnson has become the object of derision in certain corners only recently (The Last Jedi upset a whole other corner of the internet, obviously) with the release of Glass Onion, which is admittedly kind of wack. But he's clearly a very talented writer and filmmaker and it's fun to see him and Lyonne take on a genre that's been out of vogue for 2-3 decades. The whodunit and mystery-of-the-week are formats that Johnson clearly has a passion for and we need new movies/tv in that realm to counter Kenneth Branagh's awful Agatha Christie adaptations. Hope the poker face formula gets tweaked a bit over time, though.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 30, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Having watched the first two episodes, I’d say the one real weak spot of the show is the resolution to the episode’s murders. Because Charlie isn’t a cop, as characters keep pointing out, you’re never going to get a true Columbo-style gotcha. It’s always gonna be Charlie rushing out of town and leaving it up to others to see the killer brought to justice.

It feels like you’re reading 95% of a mystery and then closing the book with two pages left. And that’s alright I guess, given the events and character you’ve set up, but man I kinda just wish she was an actual cop. Or at least a PI.

Maybe the latter will happen eventually?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Having watched the first two episodes, I’d say the one real weak spot of the show is the resolution to the episode’s murders. Because Charlie isn’t a cop, as characters keep pointing out, you’re never going to get a true Columbo-style gotcha. It’s always gonna be Charlie rushing out of town and leaving it up to others to see the killer brought to justice.

It feels like you’re reading 95% of a mystery and then closing the book with two pages left. And that’s alright I guess, given the events and character you’ve set up, but man I kinda just wish she was an actual cop. Or at least a PI.

Maybe the latter will happen eventually?

Why would you want to root for a pig? It’s better that she’s not one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

mcmagic posted:

I don’t want to root for a pig, hence why I suggested she become a PI.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Spoiler for Poker Face, but I think I might check it out now

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Didn't the filming of Babe turn James Cromwell into a militant vegan? Great movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

mcmagic posted:

Columbo is literally a fantasy show where the main character, despite being in law enforcement, doesn't carry a gun and exclusively investigates rich people murders (often done for more money). I haven't seen Poker Face but I assume it keeps the most important part of Columbo - that the perpetrators are moneyed and entitled richies?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Columbo is literally a fantasy show where the main character, despite being in law enforcement, doesn't carry a gun and exclusively investigates rich people murders (often done for more money). I haven't seen Poker Face but I assume it keeps the most important part of Columbo - that the perpetrators are moneyed and entitled richies?

Not always but yeah, they're generally not good people. I kind of like the twist on Columbo/procedurals that they're not always arrested at the end of the episode. I especially liked the end of the touring band episode where they get their come-uppance with a true crime podcast revealing that the catchy new song they killed the drummer to keep the rights to is just the Benson theme song. I laughed so hard at the reveal and the looks on their faces.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

anatomi posted:

Didn't the filming of Babe turn James Cromwell into a militant vegan? Great movie.

He was already militant for good things and a vegetarian
Babe just made him vegan

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

this was so good lol

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I was lukewarm on The Last of Us after the first episode but I liked the second one a bit more. Third episode was excellent and I'm definitely all-in on the rest of the season (and next, since it's already been renewed)

I'm not tearing up over the prestige zombie show... I just got mold spores in my eye, that's all

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

thiccabod posted:

I was lukewarm on The Last of Us after the first episode but I liked the second one a bit more. Third episode was excellent and I'm definitely all-in on the rest of the season (and next, since it's already been renewed)

I'm not tearing up over the prestige zombie show... I just got mold spores in my eye, that's all

Yeah, I haven't cried that hard since It's a Sin.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m glad they’re breaking from the game in neat ways with The Last of Us. I already played that poo poo, give me something interesting not a shot-for-shot adaptation.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Not quite feeling Poker Face. It just seems less like detectiving and more like stumbling into poo poo when she has an infallible lie detector that's always on.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This was so loving good lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am watching a movie that flew past my radar from 2014 on Peacock, called 99 Homes and it's extremely good so far, but almost too stressful to watch lol.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Yeah great movie. Recently watched that after watching Margin Call to finish up the '07-'08 financial crisis trifecta (along with The Big Short).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ymgve posted:

Not quite feeling Poker Face. It just seems less like detectiving and more like stumbling into poo poo when she has an infallible lie detector that's always on.

What episodic detective series aren't this?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah it's funny I just recently started watching Columbo and while most of the time the premise is 'a murder happens and hes assigned to it' by even S2 they get into a lot of 'he was in the neighborhood and suspected that a kidnapping was a murder' or 'the victims wife ran into him at the veterinary office' and once they even did 'an American died in England so he has to team up with Scotland Yard to catch the criminal'

What I'm saying is 'Natasha Lyonne stumbles rear end-backwards into crimes' isn't really anymore farfetched

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s also the premise of Miss Marple. She’s not even a detective, just a nosy old lady!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Quincy M.E. wasn't a cop, either.

Quincy should've been arrested hundreds of times over due to all the active crime scenes he and his lab assistant Sam contaminated through the years.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The main cast of Detective Conan have been involved in some capacity with over 500 murders. At this point, I don't know why anybody would invite that family over.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are you loving kidding me? Hulu canceled reboot. Wtf Hulu?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They're making space on their slate for the reboot of Cancel

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Maybe they can make another version of it someday?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

But how we will find out what happens with Megabyte?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

was hulu's reboot the reason people thought we were getting a reboot of reboot

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm curious now if the "we might get canceled because the executive of Hulu is an rear end in a top hat" subplot had anything to do with it.

shame too, because it really only hit it's stride in the final couple episodes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Famethrowa posted:

I'm curious now if the "we might get canceled because the executive of Hulu is an rear end in a top hat" subplot had anything to do with it.

shame too, because it really only hit it's stride in the final couple episodes.

When it first started airing, me and a number of other people here were talking about how deeply unfunny it was, and I know I stopped after episode 2. If it didn't hit its stride until the final couple of episodes, I wonder if a lot of other people also stopped watching after the first few underwhelming episodes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

lol at reboot getting cancelled

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah but we get King of the Hill now so who can say if it's bad or not

https://deadline.com/2023/01/king-of-the-hill-revival-hulu-original-cast-returning-1235245072/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nihonniboku posted:

When it first started airing, me and a number of other people here were talking about how deeply unfunny it was, and I know I stopped after episode 2. If it didn't hit its stride until the final couple of episodes, I wonder if a lot of other people also stopped watching after the first few underwhelming episodes.

Yeah I have a couple of friends who watch absolute slop, one of them is on their 12th or 13th rewatch of West Wing, they constantly recommend me the most absolute corn-riddled dogshit shows and they didn't like Reboot at all and bailed after 3 episodes. Sounds like they hosed up on that one.