Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I assume that people who like death stranding are the same kind of people who watch Prometheus and think Weyland hired a crew of morons, on purpose, as a joke

I liked Death Stranding but I'm very confused as to what you're implying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

in death stranding you can only run in a straight line

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

I liked Death Stranding but I'm very confused as to what you're implying.

I think he saying Death Stranding was made to be bad, as a joke. That's obviously unhinged ofc, since it's actually good...

...as is Prometheus, too. Hmm...This guy's a real nutjob it seems, and might be a danger to himself and others.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I assume that people who like death stranding are the same kind of people who watch Prometheus and think Weyland hired a crew of morons, on purpose, as a joke

What? Death Stranding was amazing and Prometheus was disappointing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Not exactly related to what peepeedoodoo was saying, but it did bring to mind another PHUO

When people lump a bunch of media together into some sphere of too fancy pants for them, it comes across as extremely insecure. Like you're afraid you aren't smart enough to "get it" so you preemptively call it trash for pretensions people. But a lot of fancy pants art is perfectly understandable and enjoyable.

The Seventh Seal, the hallmark of fancy pants foreign movies, is really funny and has a part where a clown chases around a chick with big tits but then has to flee town when her husband comes home. It is a movie about death, but in order to be about death it also has to be about life, and it's not subtle. Some random MCU fan who watches it might not be able put it exactly into words what it's about, but I bet they'll probably still get something out of it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Not exactly related to what peepeedoodoo was saying, but it did bring to mind another PHUO

When people lump a bunch of media together into some sphere of too fancy pants for them, it comes across as extremely insecure. Like you're afraid you aren't smart enough to "get it" so you preemptively call it trash for pretensions people. But a lot of fancy pants art is perfectly understandable and enjoyable.

The Seventh Seal, the hallmark of fancy pants foreign movies, is really funny and has a part where a clown chases around a chick with big tits but then has to flee town when her husband comes home. It is a movie about death, but in order to be about death it also has to be about life, and it's not subtle. Some random MCU fan who watches it might not be able put it exactly into words what it's about, but I bet they'll probably still get something out of it.

All the things that people assume they will hate about the Seventh Seal are actually about Persona.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

You know you're exactly zero percent smarter and more refined than "the average MCU fan", right?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Manager Hoyden posted:

You know you're exactly zero percent smarter and more refined than "the average MCU fan", right?

Thats their the point.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

Atticus_1354 posted:

Thats their the point.

yeah

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All the things that people assume they will hate about the Seventh Seal are actually about Persona.

Persona owns. Seventh Seal is also pretty good

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I only watch schlock films. Good movies are just books for people with no visual imagination

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Seventh Seal has painfully repetitive music and combat?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manager Hoyden posted:

MCU fan spotted

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Badactura posted:

I only watch schlock films. Good movies are just books for people with no visual imagination

Having no visual imagination doesn't stop me from enjoying books.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I Love Reshiram >>>>>>>>> Poland

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Most fruit is better under-ripe.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

...yeah, I can't really argue with this one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Banana's should be almost completely brown before you eat them

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's a bunch of people stranded in the snow in Donner Pass because they decided to drive through Donner Pass during a snowstorm. Now, of course the government should do everything in it's power to save them. Being dumb should not warrant a death sentence, and one of the measurements of the quality of a society is how far it will go to save the dumb.

But.

The first responders who do make it to those stranded and offer aid should be allowed and required to viciously mock those stranded motorists for the duration of the crisis.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gripweed posted:

There's a bunch of people stranded in the snow in Donner Pass because they decided to drive through Donner Pass during a snowstorm. Now, of course the government should do everything in it's power to save them. Being dumb should not warrant a death sentence, and one of the measurements of the quality of a society is how far it will go to save the dumb.

But.

The first responders who do make it to those stranded and offer aid should be allowed and required to viciously mock those stranded motorists for the duration of the crisis.

I can't speak for everyone's experience but, well, they kind of do make fun of you a little when you're rescued from a probably avoidable trap.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Fruit should never be crunchy unless it's an apple. There is nothing more disappointing tasting than an under-ripe melon or pear or orange or basically anything else other than an apple. Ever try to bite into an under-ripe nectarine or peach? It sucks.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Fruit should never be crunchy unless it's an apple. There is nothing more disappointing tasting than an under-ripe melon or pear or orange or basically anything else other than an apple. Ever try to bite into an under-ripe nectarine or peach? It sucks.

Under ripe mangos make me angry. I'll buy precut fruit as a treat when I shop and when it has hard Mango I get irrationally angry.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Ever try to bite into an under-ripe nectarine or peach? It sucks.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Under ripe mangos make me angry.
These were the exact three fruits I was actually thinking of. I've never really understood the appeal until I tried them under-ripe. Much, much better that way.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Tiggum posted:

These were the exact three fruits I was actually thinking of. I've never really understood the appeal until I tried them under-ripe. Much, much better that way.

You're an alien. That's the only explanation.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The Oscars need to make a separate, less prestigious award for Best Celebrity Impression.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nameless Pete posted:

The Oscars need to make a separate, less prestigious award for Best Celebrity Impression.

There should be hundreds Oscars awarded each year, for a wide variety of niche cinematic achievements. And the whole event should be televised. A 24 hour extravaganza of movie excellence.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nameless Pete posted:

Why on Earth would that be less prestigious?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Less creativity involved.

e: Like original vs. adapted screenplay, but for performances

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Jan 31, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

You're an alien. That's the only explanation.

it's Tiggum, having the most bizarre take in the world is his whole bit.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Tiggum is one of the greats ITT. His posts belong in a museum!

PYUOOTSAF (Post Your Unpopular Opinion On The SA Forums): the most powerful troll on the SA Forums is to suggest that no, everything ISN’T unbearably bad all of the time. The belief often isn’t a troll but it is revealing that it often gets interpreted as one.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Jan 31, 2023

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i have a good time nearly all the time

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Tiggum posted:

Having no visual imagination doesn't stop me from enjoying books.

Maybe but I enjoy them more

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

i have a good time nearly all the time

I sleep in a good time with my bed.

e: Seriouspost, I guess.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
spicy take: police departments should offer suicide by cop as a service. you want to go out in a blaze of glory, they get a big warehouse set up for you and give you a bunch of big cool guns full of blanks, you get to scream your head off while you fire full auto at a bunch of cops and then they give you a reasonably quick death.

pros:
-people who want to go out on their own terms get to do so without endangering innocent bystanders
-cops that want to shoot people get to do so without murdering innocent people
-people that don't want to get shot by cops or crazies don't (as much)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The arguments for banning Tik Tok because it's "warping the minds of the young" are some of the exact same ones that were leveled against Facebook 10-12 years ago (back before Boomers started flooding it). They're extremely dumb and there's no ironicat big enough to respond to the US government pissing and moaning because "the scary Chinese might be spying on us through their app!".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wrong, we should ban both and twitter.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

We could ban both tomorrow and the brain issues that supposedly arise from their use would still be with us, because neither is the cause of those brain issues. The cause is late stage capitalism; Tik Tok is just the newest scapegoat.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Feb 1, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't care, ban the stupid zoomer apps

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Facebook is already responsible for playing a key role in genocide and giving teen girls eating disorders. This isn’t some satanic panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The arguments for banning Tik Tok because it's "warping the minds of the young" are some of the exact same ones that were leveled against Facebook 10-12 years ago (back before Boomers started flooding it). They're extremely dumb and there's no ironicat big enough to respond to the US government pissing and moaning because "the scary Chinese might be spying on us through their app!".

Please understand that "Tiktok is no worse for society than Facebook" is an argument in favor of banning Tiktok