Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He never got to taste a hot pocket :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

He was never trying to crash into the Earth, he just wanted to get to a Hot Topic

to piss on it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Magnet dashing/ boost canceling is really fun, but it's clearly an edge case that was kept around during testing, rather than designed for.

I really hope that the next Sonic game, even if it builds on Frontiers, is designed around a fun and distinctive movement mechanic or two in mind. That could be a refinement of the magnet dash, a revised homing attack, or something new. Boosting is fun, but it's better served as a run button than the center of gameplay.

It feels like the game wanted to punish your time score for taking actions that are "automated" like homing attacks and light dashes in favor of more analog movement like the homing cancel and slope momentum. Unfortunately, only a handful of cyberspace levels were designed with those techniques in mind and even fewer have strict enough S-Rank requirements to push players in that direction. It was also unusual to see how important ground movement was to maintaining Sonic's speed in this game and how that sort of conflicts with the "top route" philosophy of Sonic games historically.

I've only just recently got Frontiers and been working through it. How do you do a homing cancel?

But yeah, it's thrown me off how there was one chemical plant cyberspace level that really pushed me to find all the shortcuts and hidden paths to make the S rank, and then the next one I did I didn't even try and ended up with an S rank.

Though gently caress one particular cyberspace level on the third island that has a bunch of shooter things that seem designed to trick you/make you go super slow?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I'm just glad the Biolizard's story had a happy ending: It was an abomination against god and man who existence was pain and it got put out of its misery, but not before it got the chance to shove a space station up its rear end.

That we could all achieve such wonders...

Pants Donkey posted:

The lesson Sega learned from the 00s was that people hate characters besides Sonic…despite the classic games introducing a new character with each game. Turns out people just don’t like playing characters that aren’t fun.

They have very very slowly moving away from this, what with the OC in Forces and Shadow DLC, plus whomever Frontiers DLC will let you play as.

I think the other, major factor that contributed to people getting sick of Sonic's friends back in the 00's was the games' weird insistence on making people play through them multiple times before they get the "true" ending. That set-up was all well and good in cases like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, which are set up to be a larger story told from multiple perspectives, but by the time Sonic Heroes rolled around that entire multi-perspective narrative had been completely dropped and all of the various "teams" kind of just played the same, but the player was still expected to go through and beat the same game multiple times with only minor variations before they could get a proper ending.

Whether it was the needlessly convoluted branching story structure of Shadow the Hedgehog, or the Sonic/Shadow/Silver campaigns of 06 where large sections of content would be identical between characters, this whole "Replay the same game multiple times, but with minor variations" paradigm just stuck with the series as a sort of unspoken rule long after the devs had completely lost track of why SA1 originally had you do that, to the series' detriment.

On a side-note: I've been revisiting the first two Adventure games recently and it's making me understand just how much Sonic 06 is a retread of concepts originally introduced in those games. Pretty much the entire level selection of 06 is just riffs on levels that appeared in Adventures 1 and 2. 06 honestly feels conceptually like Sonic Team was trying to do something akin to Sonic Generations, but only for Adventure 1 and 2, which is a really weird concept in hindsight since the game was only 5 years removed from SA2. Considering 06 was supposed to be a big reboot of the series that coincided with Sonic's 15th anniversary it's really weird they laser-focused in on only the Adventure games for nostalgia bait.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Sega has some cute calendar art apparently.

You didn't post the calendar for January which is just the height of coolness:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they’re taking up the whole stage but they only need the EDGE

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

You didn't post the calendar for January which is just the height of coolness:

The costumes are probably a reference to some Japanese thing, but all I can think of looking at this picture is that Shadow and Infinite have been cast as Jean Valjean and Inspector Javert in Les Mis.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

they’re taking up the whole stage but they only need the EDGE

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dracula Shadow is badass

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

KingKalamari posted:

The costumes are probably a reference to some Japanese thing, but all I can think of looking at this picture is that Shadow and Infinite have been cast as Jean Valjean and Inspector Javert in Les Mis.

That's... actually a really good idea

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A set of silverware? You gotta be kidding me, guys!

This is like stealing bread from a bakery, which is fine by me.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 31, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/fernsnailz/status/1619777577505398784

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ShinraToga/status/1619837241920196608
The Sonic fandom really is second to none

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think shadow would either be a surprisingly good cook or just stoically chew through a box of dry pasta, no in-between

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

i think shadow would either be a surprisingly good cook or just stoically chew through a box of dry pasta, no in-between

He breaks spaghetti into elbow noodle-sized pieces one at a time and was promptly banned from the kitchen

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Shadow wondering why everyone isn’t just drinking soylent. You can hear him explaining to Sonic how much more efficient it is than cooking.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
As a Hedgehog on the go Shadow only has time for microwaveable meals such as Hotpockets and those brownie packets you put in a mug and add water

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They're both wrong anyway, the correct way to prepare boxed mac and cheese is to dump everything into two cups of milk and cook it until it boils down to the desired consistency. No strainer, just plate and serve

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

So this video just popped up on my queue and I feel like I need to talk about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FORojqg2ZNY

So the guy's core principle, that there's a really rewarding experience to be had by playing through Sonic 3 & Knuckles while trying to maximize your final score, seems fine enough...But then things almost immediately start getting weirdly elitist with him claiming everyone playing the game normally are playing on "mellow mode" and their opinions on the game are less valid? Also I don't think he needed to spend almost an hour explaining what is a pretty simple concept that I think most people will understand after the first 10 minutes? There's also this weird level of specificity and over-explanation of things?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

KingKalamari posted:

So this video just popped up on my queue and I feel like I need to talk about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FORojqg2ZNY

So the guy's core principle, that there's a really rewarding experience to be had by playing through Sonic 3 & Knuckles while trying to maximize your final score, seems fine enough...But then things almost immediately start getting weirdly elitist with him claiming everyone playing the game normally are playing on "mellow mode" and their opinions on the game are less valid? Also I don't think he needed to spend almost an hour explaining what is a pretty simple concept that I think most people will understand after the first 10 minutes? There's also this weird level of specificity and over-explanation of things?

Pretty standard video essay fair

Try watching a four or five hour essay and take a drink every time they repeat something

(Don't, actually, the hospital bill isn't worth it)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The only good video essay is that one about how the story of SA2 rules

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Vinylshadow posted:

Pretty standard video essay fair

Try watching a four or five hour essay and take a drink every time they repeat something

(Don't, actually, the hospital bill isn't worth it)

I remember Hbomberguy in his Sherlock video saying he tries to trim his script to be less repetitive, and then during his Season 4 rant he goes on and on rephrasing the same two reasons why he thinks the first episode of that season is badly executed.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
100 issues into Archie Sonic, by the way.

I have no idea what's going on. The story keeps rushing itself into dumb setups like "Let's force Sonic to go to school as punishment for not preventing the king from being crippled" and "Let's make Knuckles overdosed on Chaos energy because of reasons and then he joins the Dark Legion because why?", and it's all so boring and I can't follow it.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Running Shine has a really good one on SA1 that gave me a much greater appreciation for it

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Is there an essay about which animes the 3D Sonics take their inspirations from? I've seen a bunch of people say Princess Mononoke was an influence on SA1, and Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation recently accused 06 of trying to rip off Final Fantasy 10 and Frontiers of ripping off Attack On Titan.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ps8nd072Fs1v5a2td.mp4

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Delphisage posted:

Is there an essay about which animes the 3D Sonics take their inspirations from? I've seen a bunch of people say Princess Mononoke was an influence on SA1, and Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation recently accused 06 of trying to rip off Final Fantasy 10 and Frontiers of ripping off Attack On Titan.

No clue, but they’ve cited the obvious stuff like DBZ before. Aside from Super Sonic, Shadow’s concept art mentions Vegeta and the leaked internal script document for 06 says “basically, think Trunks from Dragon Ball” at the end of Silver’s bio. In an interview before Forces the producer said Infinite was created because he wanted a villain like that character from a certain anime, but wouldn’t give any details other than that. Dio, maybe…?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

No clue, but they’ve cited the obvious stuff like DBZ before. Aside from Super Sonic, Shadow’s concept art mentions Vegeta and the leaked internal script document for 06 says “basically, think Trunks from Dragon Ball” at the end of Silver’s bio. In an interview before Forces the producer said Infinite was created because he wanted a villain like that character from a certain anime, but wouldn’t give any details other than that. Dio, maybe…?

Everyone and their dad knows about the Dragon Ball influence.

Infinite's whole thing is that he's a chuunibyou, isn't he? Plus his backstory is apparently a deadringer for Coldsteel the Hedgeheg. What characters have villains with chuuni affects?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I haven't read One Punch Man in ages, but isn't there a villain whose backstory is that he was super weak and got humiliated so he became obsessed with his own power

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
MHA seems likely

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Delphisage posted:

Everyone and their dad knows about the Dragon Ball influence.

Infinite's whole thing is that he's a chuunibyou, isn't he? Plus his backstory is apparently a deadringer for Coldsteel the Hedgeheg. What characters have villains with chuuni affects?

I don’t know what you think a chuuni is but it’s not that, lol
Infinite’s deal was that he was a bad guy who lost to Shadow, threw a fit, and joined Eggman to get more power. His backstory seems to have been made after the rest of the script too, since in the original it seems like he’s just another Eggman creation. His actual main character archetype is more like an edgy supreme overpowered villain guy.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I'm still waiting years later for a Part 2 of that video.

He's not coming back :negative:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I guess we're never going to find out how Knuckles loving around looking for Master Emerald shards for 90% of the game actually ties into the rest of the narrative?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It gets the master emerald to the shrine at the end of the game... But I'm not sure if they actually use it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

It gets the master emerald to the shrine at the end of the game... But I'm not sure if they actually use it?

They successfully use it to stop the emeralds but it doesn’t matter since the Biolizard proceeds to chaos control itself into space and fuse with the ARK

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Delphisage posted:

and Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation recently accused 06 of trying to rip off Final Fantasy 10 and Frontiers of ripping off Attack On Titan.

yahtzee as a general rule doesn't have any clue what he's talking about

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
british dullard living in brisbane wrong about everything yet again

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He moved to America a few years ago to get married

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i at least get the lazy "oh a little dude fighting a big dude this gives me real attack on titan vibes" take but how do you even make the leap from Sonic 06 to FFX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Never played a game with Silver in it, but I appreciate that Sonic Team was as creative as I was when I was twelve.