Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Chadzok posted:

Hey quick question, me and my mate both have headsets now, what are some easy and good things we could try multiplayer between a quest 2 (link available) and a reverb g2 that won't take us hours to troubleshoot?

Walkabout Mini Golf
Eleven Table Tennis
Beat Saber

In that order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
also VR chat

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Pavlov TTT is fun with a friend, Star Wars squadrons is pretty fun to put yourself and your friend against an AI team in a multiplayer match, you destroy components on a star destroyer enough that it's shields come down and strike. they come up and you do this back and forth. As an experience the rules are easy enough to rub together and have fun jumping in on easy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh also, Demeo. I can’t remember if that’s quest native but you said link was available so it shouldn’t matter. Very easy to get into.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Walkabout golf
Rec room
Pokerstars VR
Eleven Table Tennis

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Synth Riders as well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh dangit, yeah, definitely this, right up there with golf, top two.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Righto, minigolf, poker and table tennis sounds like a good starting platter. Weird that it sounds like a series of first dates instead of, you know, videogames, but that's VR :shrug:

maybe we'll get to netflix and chill in Bigscreen

but I won't push him into it

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this does not suggest Quest Pro has found a blossoming and welcoming market lol

It also suggests they have overhead on the hardware and could have started at a more competitive price.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Chadzok posted:

Righto, minigolf, poker and table tennis sounds like a good starting platter. Weird that it sounds like a series of first dates instead of, you know, videogames, but that's VR :shrug:

maybe we'll get to netflix and chill in Bigscreen

but I won't push him into it

Congrats on the virtual bromance

If only there was a rollerskating sim with virtual ice cream after.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

chird posted:

Quest Pro has dropped $400. It's now $1,099 instead of $1,499.

Going by a few conversations with Best Buy staff as well as an “are you keeping it” poll on the Quest Pro subreddit, I wouldn’t be surprised if Meta not only severely missed sales targets but also got hit with a unexpected deluge of holiday returns.

Tbh if it ever drops another couple hundred and gets real local dimming support I’ll probably pick one back up depending on the Quest 3/Deckard/Apple rumors. It actually WAS a pretty nice PCVR headset.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

If only there was a rollerskating sim with virtual ice cream after.
We did suggest VRChat.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Anyone here with an Index or Vive Focus 3 that uses Revive with Oculus store titles still having success?
I'm considering a Vive XR Elite, but my #1 usage of VR is Oculus Medium.

This is also making me realize how offbeat the Windows MR controllers were... Thumbstick and touchpad but no ABXY buttons. Looking weirder in retrospect.
Edit: I still remember the day they enabled "haptic" feedback for WinMR controllers via a software update. The motors didn't have the nuance of the Vive controllers so every vibration was at max and rather jarring.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
$400 price cut on the Meta Quest Pro. Certainly makes it more attractive as a frivolous tech purchase. Anybody here with one have a take on how it compares to the Quest 2 for non-AR stuff?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't think it's worth it even with that price cut unless you have a specific use case for it, like developing. I'd just get a Quest 2 and some accessories, or wait for the next one

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ephori posted:

$400 price cut on the Meta Quest Pro. Certainly makes it more attractive as a frivolous tech purchase. Anybody here with one have a take on how it compares to the Quest 2 for non-AR stuff?

I had it and it was like a worse Quest 2. Much worse comfort though helped a good amount if you flip the back pad. Heavier, slightly better FOV but also only 90hz compared to the 120hz of the Quest 2 and Carmack had said it won’t get an improvement update.

I wound up just buying the Pro controllers, and selling the Q2 controllers on eBay to make like $100 of that back. The controllers are the only great thing about it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I was considering one for an attempt at a VR remote workstation using e.g. Immersed or other tools.

Put it on, use it with a keyboard + mouse to do some remote work for a comfortable hour or two, put it back on the charger and take a break, that sort of thing. That way I don't need a separate workstation, monitor(s), etc.

But in trying to prototype it on the Q2 first, I discovered that this -- to me -- simple use case is filed under "it doesn't do that" :shrug:

e: The intended use case of e.g. Immersed is not "remote desktop", it's more "give your laptop extra screens, and work in virtual communal rooms where you can see and talk to other people while doing so."

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 30, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ephori posted:

I just know that I would hate myself if Quest 3 launches in 2023 like the rumors say, with the same display but with a more powerful chip, and more than twice as cheap as the Quest Prod 'on sale'.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

An amusing video, at least for Lemming, a VR journalist tries GT for the first time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPa5mkcC9mE

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

An amusing video, at least for Lemming, a VR journalist tries GT for the first time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPa5mkcC9mE

Not to toot my own horn too much but man, I'm so proud of how that new player experience is for most people. The tutorial is really barebones and low key, but it gives you enough time and just a tiny little bit of direction so that you can figure out stuff for yourself, which feels really cool, and that guy even got the walljumps, then you're put in a lobby and you can start interacting with people, the game is low stakes enough that a huge percentage of the time you get people slowing down when they notice the new player, and then they can show them how to play and how the different parts of the movement works without needing some huge overbearing tutorial that is really boring and goes over everything in excruciating detail. It really feels like you're just showing up at the park and seeing a bunch of people playing a new game you don't know and everyone is there to help you join in, like it's a place you can visit and start hanging out with people

Of course sometimes you end up in a room full of shitters, but we're working on some more systems to help separate those people more aggressively and more comprehensively through stuff like auto mutes, but either way, I still think this is the experience that most people have

I tried really hard a few weeks ago to give Into The Radius a fair shake but the constant menus and pop ups and tutorials and aghghahgahg gently caress it sucks so bad and yanks you out of the experience so quickly

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Lemming posted:

Not to toot my own horn too much but man, I'm so proud of how that new player experience is for most people.

While the start ramp is (was?) a brutal introduction to someone who doesn't know how to monke, I've had a few profound moments in GTag where the stars align and the kids, trapped in a liminal space of sort-of but not-quite-enough game, start getting creative in unexpected ways. Of course the other 95% is just children clumsily vying for their place in the room's heirarchy (LIKE GORILLAS!!) but when it happens it feels very... PS2, like you dug up a niche import that's out there doing something you've never seen before. Very different vibe to VRChat, where everyone is more guarded and aware of themselves.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Super Foul Egg posted:

While the start ramp is (was?) a brutal introduction to someone who doesn't know how to monke, I've had a few profound moments in GTag where the stars align and the kids, trapped in a liminal space of sort-of but not-quite-enough game, start getting creative in unexpected ways. Of course the other 95% is just children clumsily vying for their place in the room's heirarchy (LIKE GORILLAS!!) but when it happens it feels very... PS2, like you dug up a niche import that's out there doing something you've never seen before. Very different vibe to VRChat, where everyone is more guarded and aware of themselves.

I think there needs to be a game as a wrapper and lubricant for the social interaction, I think VRChat is too on the nose in that respect (yeah there are games in individual rooms and stuff, but it's not the main focus). I think the more successful VR games are going to continue to figure out how to generate more and more of those natural feeling interactions and really build up the illusion of a world that exists that you can see into with the headset

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

I think there needs to be a game as a wrapper and lubricant for the social interaction, I think VRChat is too on the nose in that respect (yeah there are games in individual rooms and stuff, but it's not the main focus). I think the more successful VR games are going to continue to figure out how to generate more and more of those natural feeling interactions and really build up the illusion of a world that exists that you can see into with the headset

The crude tech and entry requirements currently obscure that for the first time since ears (and binaural is still pretty niche) we've more or less jacked another of our senses wholesale, and that with a more subtle hand there's a lot of scope to play with that concept beyond the traditional videogame staples of traversal and bashing objects into each other. I'd say it'll get there but it feels pretty 50/50 right now whether it continues to evolve or sinks back into Not Ready For Consumer Consumption for another twenty years.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Super Foul Egg posted:

The crude tech and entry requirements currently obscure that for the first time since ears (and binaural is still pretty niche) we've more or less jacked another of our senses wholesale, and that with a more subtle hand there's a lot of scope to play with that concept beyond the traditional videogame staples of traversal and bashing objects into each other. I'd say it'll get there but it feels pretty 50/50 right now whether it continues to evolve or sinks back into Not Ready For Consumer Consumption for another twenty years.

VR is just so loving good that really all it's gonna take is one super killer app, unfortunately it doesn't seem we're on a linear path to better software because everything does feel really stagnant at the moment

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

VR is just so loving good that really all it's gonna take is one super killer app, unfortunately it doesn't seem we're on a linear path to better software because everything does feel really stagnant at the moment

I am pushing all of my chips in and saying we have maybe two to three years to find that killer app before everyone throws in the towel and calls it a day. Playstation's hat will sell well but remain at the mercy of software and Apple's shoot is still to be shot but rumours make it sound like it might end up quietly binned when the logistics don't pan out. I think Meta have completely lost their way (and Carmack) and everything hardware from them is going to be evolutionary from this point on.

It is time. Time to add a battlepass to Gorilla Tag.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

VR will continue to limp along being an expensive toy.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Duck and Cover posted:

Funny you should mention that…

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/sony-slashes-playstation-vr2-headset-output-after-pre-orders-disappoint-1.1877035

edit: Sony is refuting this: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/sony-we-have-not-cut-ps-vr-2-production-numbers

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 31, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's not really surprising, PSVR2 NEEDS a solid exclusive to fly and a big one at that. If it's gonna succeed, it's gonna be a slow burn til that happens.

Making it a PC-compatible headset would certainly help though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How many PS5 are out there?

A new bundle for Quest 2
https://uploadvr.com/meta-quest-2-vr-discovery-headset-bundle/

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not really surprising, PSVR2 NEEDS a solid exclusive to fly and a big one at that. If it's gonna succeed, it's gonna be a slow burn til that happens.

Making it a PC-compatible headset would certainly help though.

Eye of Judgement 2.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Turin Turambar posted:

How many PS5 are out there?
About 30 million according to Sony's last financial report, and they're reaching the point where you can just go to a store and buy one. I've been considering it after looking over the library and realising oh right, there actually are a bunch of games here that aren't on PC yet and physical games are loving cheap compared to digital.

Duck and Cover posted:

Eye of Judgement 2.
Day one system seller. Actually it's kinda surprising there's no Yu-Gi-Oh VR like thing yet.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm hoping that 2023 will be the year of the software, for Meta at least, and we have GTA:SA, rear end Creed VR, and 5-6 new games for all their studios they bought some years ago, which have not announced anything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Those studios are almost certainly just working on Horizon Worlds poo poo or maintaining existing games like Echo VR. I'd honestly be surprised if there was more than 2 first party Quest games this year.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ohhhhh boy. Gorilla tag looks cool, and I congratulate Lemming on his success, but if I dropped into a server full of children, like that, I would nope out so goddamn quickly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hubris continues improving and it's on sale
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1265800/view/3650765224124004435

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=almTJ6qv9Uc

Norm's impressions on the XR Elite.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Can somebody explain the appeal of AR/mixed reality? I see articles and videos all talking about it like it's the huge selling point, but I just can't see the point at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sininu posted:

Can somebody explain the appeal of AR/mixed reality? I see articles and videos all talking about it like it's the huge selling point, but I just can't see the point at all.

You can see your desk and keyboard while sending emails. That seems to be it, it's entirely part of the push for VR as an office productivity thing. Microsoft showed some game demos in the early Hololens days of stuff with the Minecraft table and demoed it to Youtubers with a game where aliens came out of the walls but that's completely impractical since it requires basically a dedicated room with nothing in it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Think more work and less fun, definitely. I was at a NASA/ISRO conference and they had a mixed reality mock-up of the NISAR satellite in the venue lobby that you could explore, that was actually remarkable.

That’s still a gimmick, of course. But in that same line of thinking: a friend’s father was…I dunno, part of the C-level group at Massey-Fergusson, and apparently their assembly line made very heavy use of techs like Google glass for working with assembly manuals, guides, things like that, they could have the stuff right there in their perception without having paper or computers shuffling around. That’s a very real thing, and I think is likely to be the sort of context where AR actually happens, if and when it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sininu posted:

Imagine living your normal life, with normal glasses and not a bulky headset, but a friend can seemingly teleport to your current room and talk with you, seamlessly. He appears fully 3d, super photorealistic appearance, and the lightning from your window hits him 'correctly', and he is correctly occluded if there a table between you and whatever else, as if he was there. And you can interact with him and both can interact with virtual dashboards while you also prepare coffee and see your SO down the corridor.