Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/achtung_maybe/status/1620087048052039680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
air fry it at 450

like is that a Canadian thing? he's talking Fahrenheit, no? get your story straight

AIR FRY IT>!??!?!? what!!!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

iirc, jorp says he eats all his steaks well done, with zero seasoning aside from a dash of salt

just to give you an idea of his thought process behind preparing meat

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

kntfkr posted:

air fry it at 450

like is that a Canadian thing? he's talking Fahrenheit, no? get your story straight

AIR FRY IT>!??!?!? what!!!

A lot of Canadians, to my understanding, still use imperial for some things, especially older ones like Jorp. Same with the British.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think most Canadian ovens are in Fahrenheit if not changeable.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
do canadians air fry steak? is this a unique dr. jordan beyonce peterson perversion?

How can you get a steak so wrong? What a pervert!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Preparing food so that it tastes good is soft decadent chaos dragon degeneracy. You must process it until it's nothing but a solid block of protein fibers, completely free of vagina particles.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Woolie Wool posted:

Preparing food so that it tastes good is soft decadent chaos dragon degeneracy. You must process it until it's nothing but a solid block of protein fibers, completely free of vagina particles.

I do not trust JBP with beef curtains

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kntfkr posted:

do canadians air fry steak? is this a unique dr. jordan beyonce peterson perversion?

I, a Canadian, have never to my knowledge eaten an air-fried steak. maybe one being seared in a pizza oven with a fan on, or some Alton Brown smirk-rear end contraption like that? I do know some nerds

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Air frying steak isn't terrible but not that steak.

I am not Canadian.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

iirc, jorp says he eats all his steaks well done, with zero seasoning aside from a dash of salt

just to give you an idea of his thought process behind preparing meat

Is this part of his whole anhedonia thing, how he takes no pleasure in anything and the whole world is a shrieking horror to him at all times

Is it like that because he is like a chicken tendy adult but for air fried leather steak and does not know that food can have pleasant flavors and tender textures, and that extends to all his experiences?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Neito posted:

A lot of Canadians, to my understanding, still use imperial for some things, especially older ones like Jorp. Same with the British.

Here's the general rundown:

Long distances: metric (km)
Short distances: imperial (inches/feet)
Height/weight (outside of hospitals): imperial.
Temperature for weather: metric
Temperature for ourselves: imperial
Temperature for ovens/food: imperial
Area: imperial (sq footage/acre)
Liquid: metric (imperial liquid measurements make zero sense to me. What the gently caress is a pint or quart? :psyduck:)

It's really messed up. On paper, everything SHOULD be metric up here, but hosed if I know how many centimeters I am, or how many kg I weigh. I would know this, mind you, if doing it that way was just more prevalent, but it's not. So none of us have a regular frame of reference. I can mentally picture someone 5'5" tall but 1m 48cm? Even know I know how long a meter is (it's essentially a yard) and how big centimeters are, but I can't visualize them on a bigger scale.

Subjunctive posted:

I think most Canadian ovens are in Fahrenheit if not changeable.

Our ovens show both and can be switched. Afaik, we all just leave them on Fahrenheit, even though I truly believe Fahrenheit makes no sense. Yet I know chicken has to be cooked to 165°.:shrug:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

When the government builds a building in Canada the construction documents are in millimetres and then the tradespeople convert that into inches when they start building.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Is this part of his whole anhedonia thing, how he takes no pleasure in anything and the whole world is a shrieking horror to him at all times

Is it like that because he is like a chicken tendy adult but for air fried leather steak and does not know that food can have pleasant flavors and tender textures, and that extends to all his experiences?

nah, it's even more basic and lame than that

it's cause adding anything beyond that would destroy his body

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Private Cumshoe posted:

I do not trust JBP with beef curtains
Ben Shapiro does....

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's loving A5 Wagyu, you're supposed to do a really hot and quick sear on the outside and barely touch the inside. That's the whole loving point of paying for A5 Wagyu. If you're going to cook it to medium, save $400 and just buy a non-aged New York Strip.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 31, 2023

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

ashpanash posted:

It's loving A5 Wagyu, you're supposed to do a really hot and quick sear on the outside and barely touch the inside. That's the whole loving point of paying for A5 Wagyu. If you're going to cook it to medium, save $400 and just buy a non-aged New York Strip.

How frozen should the steak be when you sear it? This is important

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ben shapino posted:

It's best to just eat it frozen like a hunk of chalky gelatin

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

ben shapino posted:

Make sure you leave it out in the sun for 8 hours, then wrap it in american cheese and re-freeze it. Repeat this process three times. Then you're ready to cook

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's best to just eat it frozen like a hunk of chalky gelatin

Might taste better that way than the way Jorp would cook it. Kind of like chewing on frozen whale blubber.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ashpanash posted:

Make sure you leave it out in the sun for 8 hours, then wrap it in american cheese and re-freeze it. Repeat this process three times. Then you're ready to cook

Leave it in the sun? Bah kids today know nothing! You bury it at midnight, wrapped in leather pouch made from a black cat, beneath a cross roads on the night of a full moon. Don't dig it up until the dew is gone from the nearby grass the next morning.

Then you're ready to cook!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 31, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

If he's going to ruin a steak like that, why not just cut to the basics and consume that stupid powder that has all 'needed' nutrients instead? What a loving baby-pallete dweeb.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I can see Jorp hawking a solent green product in two years time. He will also, imho, turn his podcast into an almost one for one replica of Alex Jones and eventually start his own video platform starring bald men with esoteric tattoos.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Liquid: metric (imperial liquid measurements make zero sense to me. What the gently caress is a pint or quart? :psyduck:)

A pint is 568ml and suitable for exactly one thing: alcohol drinks, specifically beer and cider.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

a quart is 2 pints

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

8 oz = 1 cup
2 cups = 1 pint
2 pints = 1 quart
2 quarts = 1 half gallon
2 half gallons = 1 gallon

Seriously it's not that hard, it's just doubling and halving. Literal babies learn this poo poo.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

*T-1000 bursting into the house with his blade arms out* UP YOURS, woke moralists! We'll see who cancels who!"
Best I can do is Jorp as Johnny Cab standing next to Arnie
https://i.imgur.com/9JNP4BA.mp4

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

You got your shithead in my quack!
You got your quack in my shithead!

Call Your Grandma posted:

When the government builds a building in Canada the construction documents are in millimetres and then the tradespeople convert that into inches when they start building.
Yeah, and the trades get it the worst from what I recall because next door THIS poo poo is going on:

TheFluff posted:

As an european who works with a lot of US folks I can sort of deal with imperial for day-to-day stuff, it's weird but it's not too cumbersome to learn some common round numbers like 70F and 6 feet and 100 feet and whatnot. If it was just that, I could live and let live.

It isn't, though, because once you start to try to actually do stuff with measurements, that's where some specifically American habits drive me absolutely insane with white-hot rage. It starts relatively innocuous, with the obnoxious mixing of power-of-two fractions and decimal fractions - once you get below 1/16", all sorts of trades start preferring talking about "mils" or "thou" (different names for 1/1000th of an inch; the former you hear in PCB design, the latter in machine shops). Specifically in precision machining, you also hear the incredibly confusing "tenths" - that's 1/10,000th of an inch, not 1/10th of an inch. From there it quickly escalates into a loving madhouse full of clowns.

In a metric shop, if I want to drill and tap a hole for a machine screw, say M6x1.0, I know that the tapping drill size for anything I can tap by hand is the nominal diameter (6mm) minus the thread pitch (1.0mm) so I can grab a 5mm drill bit. In an imperial shop, if I want a 5/16"-18 threaded hole (18 is the number of threads per inch), I have to go look at some arcane loving drill chart that informs me that the tapping drill size for this is "F". How big is an "F"? I have no loving idea, but apparently it's 0.2570" according to the chart, which lists a drill nomenclature that starts at 80 (0.0135"), goes down to 1 (0.2280") and then up to Z (0.4130"), in increments that seemingly have no rhyme or reason whatsoever, because clearly this was a system designed to be intuitive and easy to understand.

This rabbithole just goes deeper and deeper into the circles of hell. A 90x45mm piece of lumber is actually 90x45mm (plus or minus a few percentage points of tolerance at a given moisture content), but a 2x4" sure as heck isn't two inches by four inches, because that'd be too obvious. How about sheet metal? Here you specify its thickness in millimeters, because that's how we measure small distances. Measuring two different things the same way just will not fly in America however, so instead of inches we'll use "gauge", which is just some random rear end number that gets bigger for thinner sheets, except it's not the same for different materials so a "12-gauge" sheet of stainless steel is not the same thickness as a "12-gauge" sheet of aluminium, and neither is the same thickness as a "12-gauge" sheet of galvanized steel. Oh, and if that wasn't enough, for zinc the gauge numbers go the other way so thinner sheets have smaller numbers instead. What the gently caress?!?

Oh, you say, it's just old machine shop traditions, America has so much history when it comes to that. Oh, no, the insanity is far deeper rooted than that; there is no escape. Not even in electronics can you be free. Electrical wiring in the metric world is measured by its cross-sectional area in square millimeters, which might seem a bit weird at first, but it makes a lot of sense because that's what determines the resistance of the wire. If you want to double the current without increasing the voltage drop, just double the cross-sectional area of the wire. In America, you've got the American Wire Gauge, which, you guessed it, is yet another meaningless loving number which you have to go look up in a chart, it's of course backwards so higher numbers mean smaller wires, and of course it can't be used for calculations. What about microelectronics then? Well, PCB copper layer thickness could be measured as a distance in micrometers, but it's usually not, because that'd be too obvious - instead it's measured as a weight, in ounces per square foot.

death to america

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Drakyn posted:

You got your shithead in my quack!
You got your quack in my shithead!

Yeah, and the trades get it the worst from what I recall because next door THIS poo poo is going on:

Yeah as someone that regularly works with machine shops: thousands of an inch is the stupidest way to measure and cut/machine in the world.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I'm starting to think that his method of cooking a steak is based on absolutely no additional research. Like, anything outside of his chosen profession is governed based on his own first-principles ("What is climate? Well, climate is everything...", etc.) so as someone who probably doesn't really cook, he just started on the first-principle that the air fryer must be the best way to cook it because that's the newest invention all the tech people are into. In doing so, it reasonably cooks a steak.

But then you add a wagyu into it, which is also "the best".

So when you put those two facts together, the "best" way to cook the "best" steak is: air-fry a wagyu.

That's the most sense I can make of this.

Here's the general rundown:

Long distances: metric (km)
Short distances: imperial (inches/feet)
Height/weight (outside of hospitals): imperial.
Temperature for weather: metric
Temperature for ourselves: imperial
Temperature for ovens/food: imperial
Area: imperial (sq footage/acre)

It's really messed up. On paper, everything SHOULD be metric up here, but hosed if I know how many centimeters I am, or how many kg I weigh. I would know this, mind you, if doing it that way was just more prevalent, but it's not. So none of us have a regular frame of reference. I can mentally picture someone 5'5" tall but 1m 48cm? Even know I know how long a meter is (it's essentially a yard) and how big centimeters are, but I can't visualize them on a bigger scale.

Our ovens show both and can be switched. Afaik, we all just leave them on Fahrenheit, even though I truly believe Fahrenheit makes no sense. Yet I know chicken has to be cooked to 165°.:shrug:

I'd also add that room temperature depends on the generation. Everyone I know my age will use celsius, but anybody over the age of like, 50 will use fahrenheit.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

I'd also add that room temperature depends on the generation. Everyone I know my age will use celsius, but anybody over the age of like, 50 will use fahrenheit.

That's because they'd only be 10 in Celsius years.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

That's because they'd only be 10 in Celsius years.

Don't give redditors ideas

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This is the dumbest tweet I've ever seen

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1620439373912342529?s=20&t=ZAAkjSjx2GGYOkTajrv66g

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

https://twitter.com/garyjoyce0529/status/1620442007155113985

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Come on there's no way that Ben Shapiro hasn't said something more stupid in like the last month. Nobody comes up with dumber poo poo than Ben Shapiro. Jordan Peterson would love to be king of the idiots, but he's merely a jester in that court.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pseudanonymous posted:

Come on there's no way that Ben Shapiro hasn't said something more stupid in like the last month. Nobody comes up with dumber poo poo than Ben Shapiro. Jordan Peterson would love to be king of the idiots, but he's merely a jester in that court.

Shapiro has braindead climate change takes but I've never heard him claim because climate scientists didn't write "manmade climate change is real" in every paper that they didn't endorse the idea. It's like saying the Earth is flat because every astronomy paper didn't mention the Earth's roundness.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Shapiro has braindead climate change takes but I've never heard him claim because climate scientists didn't write "manmade climate change is real" in every paper that they didn't endorse the idea. It's like saying the Earth is flat because every astronomy paper didn't mention the Earth's roundness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk9bFy2RHIE

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yup this is a braindead climate change take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This paper about masturbation habits of domesticated rats is oddly silent about the issue of anthropogenic climate change. Curious :thunk: