Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yakuza series as ever is fulla these, but Kiwami 2 seems to have doubled down; having both the hostess club minigame from 0 and a variant on the gang warfare minigame from 6, with the characters in both filled out with people from various sidequests and other minigames. So Majima's construction company staff (whose job is mainly fighting off rival gangs attacking the construction site) includes not only members of his Yakuza family and various miscellaneous recurring characters, but fighters from the underground arena just underneath the site (including multiple masked wrestlers apparently based on real life ones), a drag queen, amateur comedians and musicians, vigilantes, and most stand-out to me so far, an active member of the Japanese Diet who is apparently representing the government's interest in wanting the construction project to succeed- and for this purpose, he's apparently allowed to bring along a rocket launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You forgot the part where the rival construction company are old Japanese wrestlers, because it’s basically the same RTS minigame 6 had where you fought New Wrestling Japan.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Kevin Costner tried to make his own Mad Max, twice, and failed.

It's unfortunate that the scope and ambition is so high because divorced from the hype and baggage, I think The Postman and Waterworld are both really good movies!

I sure liked The Postman movie a lot more than the book. wtf hippie tree cyborgs??

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Kevin Costner is the only reason we have the AAAA videogame Star Citizen.

Makes u think

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Kevin Costner is the only reason we have the AAAA videogame Star Citizen.

Makes u think

... doesn't something need to have been released for you to "have" it? Or did it finally release and I slept through the ticker-tape parade and planetary celebration of the greatest monument of all mankind?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They released something that fulfills all the formal criteria for being a video game and you can go play it today. Whether they released something that could be described as "good" or "complete" or "in any way resembling what was promised" is another question

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

exquisite tea posted:

This is in fact true. Kevin Costner was originally attached to Tombstone but didn't like various things about the script, and so hired Lawrence Kasdan to help write his own vanity Wyatt Earp movie. He then attempted to use his clout within the industry to keep Tombstone's distribution low, which lead to a whole bunch of production problems of its own. Regardless, Tombstone still came out a year before Wyatt Earp and did much better on a smaller budget, probably even becoming a modern classic to all of us 90s kids who watched it on TNT for a decade.

This is a good post!

So, what's the deal with Dante's Peak and Volcano?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

haveblue posted:

They released something that fulfills all the formal criteria for being a video game and you can go play it today. Whether they released something that could be described as "good" or "complete" or "in any way resembling what was promised" is another question

Ah, early access.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

This is a good post!

Better yet...1989..

Deep Star Six vs. Leviathan and Lords of the Deep vs. The Abyss

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Possibly the first time ever someone has described Xenogears as "a little too ambitious"

Think orders of magnitude bigger

Do I remember correctly that the music composer, Yasunori Mitsuda, nearly had a nervous breakdown from the workload as it was? Or am I thinking of his work on one or the other of the Chrono games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Xenogears was the last game he did exclusively as an employee at Square before going freelance. It wasn't the only project that contributed to his stress levels but it probably did tip the scales.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

This is a good post!

Dante’s Peak rules and Volcano sucks, that’s the deal

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I think my favorite change so far in the Dead Space remake has been the sequence where you get the ship's autotargeting laser cannons back online to protect the ship from incoming asteroids. The original switched modes to this godawful turret sequence that was finicky and way too easy to lose, it was the worst thing in the game. Now you just run outside and float in space aiming and shooting at asteroids with your normal controls, while the targeting computer follows your lead. It's simple and fun, and turned a big roadblock for me into a quick 90 second diversion.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I miss when games did that, I remember some kids' adventure games have the protagonists similarly leave when you quit. Even this old Windows greeting card program that uses the dog reskin for Clippy acting as your assistant, which runs off when you exit.

Sorry to be weird and dig up an old post from like four months ago, but I've been reading through this whole thread over the past few months and this unlocked a long-lost childhood memory I had of "playing" that same drat greeting card software. :allears: I had completely forgotten about it, thank you for reminding me.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I like the giant platter on the save points in the Dead Space Remake. 500 years into the future, interstellar travel and still using disc platters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think my favorite change so far in the Dead Space remake has been the sequence where you get the ship's autotargeting laser cannons back online to protect the ship from incoming asteroids. The original switched modes to this godawful turret sequence that was finicky and way too easy to lose, it was the worst thing in the game. Now you just run outside and float in space aiming and shooting at asteroids with your normal controls, while the targeting computer follows your lead. It's simple and fun, and turned a big roadblock for me into a quick 90 second diversion.

I did the original sequence on PC with a struggling framerate. :shepface:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Dante’s Peak rules and Volcano sucks, that’s the deal

Only thing I remember from Dante's Peak is the couple boiling alive, and also the granny boiling alive.

With Volcano it's the guy jumping from the subway train and melting in the lava after tossing someone to safety.

I'm sensing a theme with what I end up remembering.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Morpheus posted:

Only thing I remember from Dante's Peak is the couple boiling alive, and also the granny boiling alive.

With Volcano it's the guy jumping from the subway train and melting in the lava after tossing someone to safety.

I'm sensing a theme with what I end up remembering.

Hey I'm not gonna yuck your yum

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Dante’s Peak is how I learned about the Wilhelm scream. Before that I thought it was just a Star Wars thing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The asteroid turrets were always easy on PC because it was just mouse aim, on console your turn rate was limited by the sticks and the asteroids were truly random so sometimes they happened to outrace your aim and you just got hosed

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I actually died twice on the new asteroid segment because I didn't know what the game wanted me to do.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I got confused for a second, until I realized there's a popup window onscreen specifically telling you what to do. Someday I'll learn to start reading words on the screen!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Veotax posted:

Yeah, the Dead Space remake is likely a reaction to EA having success with a straightforward singleplayer game with no online or mictortransaction bullshit in Fallen Order, and the Resident Evil remakes being a huge success.

I love that the thought simply hadn't occured to them to make a good game. I don't have an MBA or anything, but I know that people will pay a fair price for a good product.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I didn't realise that there were babies firing things at me until the last turret, I thought Isaac just got hit by an asteroid fragment because I missed a couple.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

I love that the thought simply hadn't occured to them to make a good game. I don't have an MBA or anything, but I know that people will pay a fair price for a good product.

If you had done an MBA you would know that your 'good game' idea doesn't have enough microtransactions and forced-online-interactivity to be profitable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's the "would this game be profitable" question, for sure. But there's also the question of "would this game be the most profitable use of our resources?" Like, if you can spend 3 years of studio time on a game that has the potential to net $200 million, or you can spend the same amount of time on a game that might net $400 million, you'd be a fool to make the first game, right? Both are risky (no game is low-risk to make), but it's hard to judge relative risk between two projects. So you might as well go with the project that has the bigger potential upside.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC that whole Trust Thermocline twitter thread that's been going around was quietly referencing EA and Star Wars Battlefront II, where they'd actually managed to hit both diminishing returns with microtransactions and lootboxes and genuinely pissed off even the people who normally put up with that poo poo. It seems to have finally gotten through to them that even if lootboxes are still profitable for Battlefield and Madden, putting them into everything not only pisses people off but genuinely isn't worth the hassle and expense compared to just making a game that stands on its own.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the gunplay in fc6 on ps5 is ridiculously fun

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's the "would this game be profitable" question, for sure. But there's also the question of "would this game be the most profitable use of our resources?" Like, if you can spend 3 years of studio time on a game that has the potential to net $200 million, or you can spend the same amount of time on a game that might net $400 million, you'd be a fool to make the first game, right? Both are risky (no game is low-risk to make), but it's hard to judge relative risk between two projects. So you might as well go with the project that has the bigger potential upside.

"Fred's new 'good game' thing made us $10M. Look how many players there are! If he'd monetised it properly we'd have been able to squeeze $50M out of them. Fire his incompetent rear end for losing us $40M."

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
MBA

Must Be an rear end in a top hat

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Conversely there's also the issue of what happens when chasing the big bucks means that every game needs to be a AAAA blockbuster with a $200,000,000 advertising campaign that further compounds your budget issues and with a dev staff of thousands it needs to be the most successful game of its genre in all of recorded history in order to make a profit.

Costs don't tend to scale linearly and raw profit is not the same as profit margin. If you make three $10 million games and two of them make $50 million each but one is a dud then that's survivable. If you make three $400 million games and two of them make $600 million each and the other's a dud you go bankrupt, even though you're making 5* the profit on the successful bigger titles than you are on the smaller ones.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Companies will keep trying to make live service games with battle passes and lootboxes and whatever because the upside potential is so great. EA could lose literally every single other property it has and still profit $700 million a year from FIFA cards alone. No amount of bad press and gamer boycotts are going to outweigh the scale of profitability for virtually zero upkeep. Most attempts will crash and burn, but if you can just seize on even one corner of the market, it's worth enduring whatever public shaming and Polygon thinkpieces you'll get in return (from an executive's perspective).

On the subject of great games that are NOT cheap cash grabs, you can fully customize your hideout Hi-Fi Rush and I've just spent about 100k gears perfectly color coordinating my squad, including the cat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I did the original sequence on PC with a struggling framerate. :shepface:

If I remember right the asteroids were random so you'd have people like me who had no problem because they didn't get screwed by RNG then you'd have people who just got blasted and had a miserable time

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Some people didn't realise that, IIRC, you could shoot with both mouse buttons rather than just the left.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

RGX posted:

GR:W is gigantic, beautifully rendered, and very atmospheric.....its just lacking personality. Because its tied to a sort of "casual mil-sim" expectation, the game never feels comfortable leaning into the thing that its best at, which is the inevitable madness created by its sandbox. The game is brilliant, but it can't come up with anything better than "defeat military base/kill enemy leader" as a mission structure because...well, what else would special forces do? It's po-faced writing is at odds with the silliness that will inevitably erupt when you give players a gigantic toybox full of helicopters and guns.

I enjoyed Wildlands but it also drove me nuts. The concept they showed in previews was awesome, making it seem like being sneaky enough to grab a capo and stick him in the trunk of the nearest vehicle to take him alive was something that the game would respond to but it doesn't.

They had such a great opportunity to add some simple scripting stuff that would have added so much replay value. Just stuff like being able to either kidnap or kill random high-ranking cartel leaders (who aren't plot-related) to get different effects like 'If you kill said leader some enemy troops join your militia and 2x as many come next time you call them in. If you capture him instead he will tell you where a base/warehouse/factory is that you can either blow up or capture' and so on.

Or to take it further they could have had a fun guerilla meta game with just a tiny bit more work. Like, attach a dollar value to enemy and friendly objects so you can see how much damage you did. Like when sneaking around a cocaine processing plant to kidnap/kill a chemist you could also plant some C4 on a pile of cocaine bricks and barrels of chemicals and see how much it hurt the cartel, and have stuff happen when you start doing x% a week to their bottom line.

Basically I want Ghost Recon:Narcos crossed with MGS5

Tumble has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Jan 31, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply only make very profitable games

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
For all its bad press, Ghost Recon: Breakpoint is a fantastic game. Being able to precisely scale the difficulty to the style you want to play in at that moment is great, the missions can be very tricky, and the map is gorgeous.

I liked it a lot more than Wildlands.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

For all its bad press, Ghost Recon: Breakpoint is a fantastic game. Being able to precisely scale the difficulty to the style you want to play in at that moment is great, the missions can be very tricky, and the map is gorgeous.

I liked it a lot more than Wildlands.

It's one of those games that you read the criticisms of, agree with, and then still end up sinking tons of hours in anyways.

They actually did do a decent job setting up Breakpoint post-campaign game too. I just wish there was a good way to parachute into places without ditching a plane, like if you are at an airport you could choose to have a plane get you high above close to your choice or something.

I wish i could take all the improvements to Wildlands, I liked the plot and setting there more. I do wonder if Ubi originally was going to do a direct sequel but changed things up after Bolivia got mad at the bad publicity or something.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There is of course, always stupid lazy greed as well. Like Rockstar refusing to make an Undead Nightmare 2 because they have GTA:O and that's good enough.

There is basically no way that Undead Nightmare 2 would not have been an insanely successful DLC, probably one of the most purchased big DLCs ever (meaning a DLC that adds significant content) and it could probably even do that if it were released today.

I really do curse the existence of GTA:O, because a multiplayer Undead Nightmare 2 would have been so rad...

Tumble has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Feb 14, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Terminator Expansion for Breakpoint (released as a tie-in for Dark Fate) is short but legitimately good, and the three story campaigns are all pretty long and have tons of side missions. Breakpoint is definitely worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
In Hades one of the opening boss conversations for the Bone Hydra is Zag asking the hydra if he can call it Lernie.

Once the fight starts the boss’ name at the top of the screen changes to Lernie the Bone Hydra :3: