Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

peen is stored in the balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

old lab i worked at had a drawer for "ball pean hammers" which was hilarious

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Eeyo posted:

old lab i worked at had a drawer for "ball pean hammers" which was hilarious

lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
yospos tools thread: ball paen hammer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bald peen hammers huh

wanna see these peen hammers with a full head of hair

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

any new tools?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
love a good fart simp post

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

SawStop is from the Portland, Oregon area

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Here are some of my tools. There are many like them but these ones are mine.

I've since added a nice old Disson brand rip-cut saw from the 1950's.

One of those braces is a locally made P&C brand one. The factory shut down long ago but one of the descendants of the original founders put together a website all about its history:

https://www.pnctools.com/pc-factory/pc1941-1990/

Pretty neat, imo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

holy poo poo that is the neatest router table i’ve ever seen

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

git apologist posted:

Thanks, I run a tight ship :hai:

More small time tool stuff:

The auger bits I have are from Hicraft Tool Co. from the tiny town of Greenfield, OH. The company rebranded and stopped existing a good 60 years ago afaict but the town is notable in that it still has a bit of manufacturing base. It's mostly Johnson Controls now but the reason the town didn't die out like so many others is that in the 80's when the local railroad was going to be shuttered they passed a bond issue and the city itself bought the line. So now the factories still exist with means to ship things out *and* the town gets a chunk of revenue based on output.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/7/3/rail-town-in-ohio-shows-the-way.html

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

git apologist posted:

it absolutely is, unfortunately the router is the worst woodworking power tool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

it absolutely is, unfortunately the router is the worst woodworking power tool.

what's the scale here exactly

like it's right up there for potential to maim, but it does do good work. lots of things that a router is good at that would take forever with any other tool.

i think the worst tool is the panel saw because ours is unbelievably loud and annoying.

or maybe the jointer, which is like you fed a moon stone to a table router and it evolved into something far scarier. a router will lop off a finger but a jointer will chew away your whole hand

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 2, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

what's the scale here exactly

like it's right up there for potential to maim, but it does do good work. lots of things that a router is good at that would take forever with any other tool.

i think the worst tool is the panel saw because ours is unbelievably loud and annoying.

or maybe the jointer, which is like you fed a moon stone to a table router and it evolved into something far scarier.

insanely loud, spits out massive amounts of dust, easy to lose a finger or two, ruins your work instantly if you slip, etc

jointers suck too but at least they're not sawdust producing machines, you just get a pile of loose shavings to sweep up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

router will lop off a finger but a jointer will chew away your whole hand

yeah routers are the worst tools but i am most scared of the jointer

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I love my jointer. It's a 6" rigid brand and the jokes practically write themselves

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Scariest tool I have is the bandsaw. Because it's huge and the blade is _right there_ for a lot of operations. And for a while the motor belt didn't have proper tension (notoriously difficult to set up on powermatics) so it would make a horrible squealing noise when starting up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

what? the bandsaw is by a wide margin the safest woodworking power tool.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

rotor posted:

Yeah but it just doesn't *feel* like it to me, doesn't have to make sense. Most dangerous is the table saw iirc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

table saw: kickback, pulls hand into blade
jointer: eats your entire arm
router: happy to take a finger off as it pulls your hands into the cutter
radial arm saw: oh jesus
bandsaw: like yeah if you deliberately push your hand into the blade it'll cut it but just dont do that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

Yeah but it just doesn't *feel* like it to me, doesn't have to make sense.

ok well thats fair i guess

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I keep my jointer set to .5mm, would take a while for it to eat my whole arm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fortaleza posted:

not at 3000 rpm it wouldn't

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

yeah good point. Still love it though, gets all my stock silky smooth and flat

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

it absolutely would not

I have a jointer too but i treat it at all times like it wants to murder me, which it absolutely does.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

that's why i keep the orbital sanders under lock and key. you let your guard down even a little and BAM

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

that's why i keep the orbital sanders under lock and key. you let your guard down even a little and BAM

well

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean yeah but

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you turn them on and they immediately start scooting away to do their nefarious deeds

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

you turn them on and they immediately start scooting away to do their nefarious deeds

yeah, polluting the air with their vile dusts and so forth

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Used my new-to-me rip cut saw to resaw a board instead of my bandsaw the other weekend and it was extremely satisfying, great workout.

Ignore the terrible clamping job I don't have the proper vise and was improvising on what would be comfortable

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i gotta get my saw sharpened, I tried doing it myself and just made them worse

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

routers are very scary and I do not like them. I have never used a jointer but at least there is essentially just One Operation you can do with them. routers have too many options and possibilities and I simply do not like it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i don’t like power woodworking tools in general. powered drills are ok i guess. if i ever have enough space to work some wood as a hobby i think im just gonna do all hand tools

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

yeah i got a power drill and a drill press but otherwise pretty much all hand tools. got rid of my table saw and router and radial arm saw and scroll saw and power planer after the router chewed up the side of my finger while i was making a drawer.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think this guys videos are relaxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8FBgZxTECw

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

i don’t like power woodworking tools in general. powered drills are ok i guess. if i ever have enough space to work some wood as a hobby i think im just gonna do all hand tools

i generally just do hand tools but I have a big bandsaw because I hate resawing and a shopsmith because idk it seemed like a good idea at the time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i like paul sellers even if most of his advice does boil down to "just have 20 years of woodworking experience like me," there's a lot of good tips and he seems like a good dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZp3C2hLBYY

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i mean, you wont go wrong if you take that advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the router is clearly the worst woodworking tool.

but not far behind is the radial arm saw.

The best woodworking tool is the axe.